_1970 lc 4 door_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

Good story, good luck and Thanks

#102 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

Well nothing is happening so it's time for a bit of inspiration gents to get fired up;

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=btPJPFnesV4

Well actually some think has happend, but you will have to wait for this.

#103 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

Update #29 - the race box build;

Well i finally paid the last of the money for the race box, I had the one that i got with the car, but it's a M20. I wanted one that once it went into the car it was not coming out. I was unsure of the quality of the M20 rebuild and whilst it looked fine it didn't have the xu1 spec.

I got a V8 M21 box for free and this is the one that got rebuilt.

one of the deals was that i got to see it being built, now Im no expert, but know a lot more about the humble M21 now and what makes a better box, not great or indestructible just better to better handle a bit more punishment.

1) the main shaft is groved for better oil flow around the gears
2) use the gears with the slots cut into them rather than oil wells
3) use the bigger clirclip - need to machine main shaft
4) use good bearings
5) make sure that the input shaft and cluster are of quality materials
6) replace all the oil seals
7) shim it with properly
8) machine out the layshaft holes in the carces
9) use a biggerlay shaft and also make sure that the hardened coating is suitable eg thick enough
10) use longer needle rollers in the cluster and double spacers in the centre.

here are some photos.

grant

Attached Files

Edited by Agent 34, 12 September 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#104 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Update # 30 the lower dash refurb - it went like this;

As lady luck has it with this car there seems to be a ease in which things are going, they still cost but it's going forward in a good steady pace. I need some Lady luck as the body was like a tin can that has been kicked down the road !

Another piece to the puzzel was the lower dash it was either, send off to Dash original with $390 bucks or wait and see what turned up !

Well hey presto a refurb dash turned up at half the price and in great condition.

Attached Files

#105 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

I have had two of those baffles come adrift over the years. last one spent a bit of time getting panel beaten by the crankshaft.

If you do use that sump then get the baffle side plates freshly welded.

Warrens idea is a good one but if you are going to that effort with the engine then get yourself some extra oil capacity. ASR do a great job and will build with internal or external oil pick up.

Craig,

After much research on the matter at the muscle car masters and the fact that the car is not a dedicated track car with slicks, I have decided to keep the xu1 baffel sump in and then do a Rocket oil cassett bypass product. It goes on the oil pump and has hoses and connectors to a remote oil cooler.

The reason for this approach is simple;
an ASR sump is $800 and will not effect cooling ( massively and may add volume ) only oil movement in race conditions, a remote oil cooler from rocket will provide the extra volume may be ( 1.5 lts ) and also help in the actual heat reduction of the engine.

Because the engine is grout filled, there will be some heating issues I'm sure and this will help it. Besides the whole set up is $260 as apposed to $800.

time will tell on this one.

#106 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Update #31 - the rear quater donor Car - Engine stand and a little bit of page three;

Well thank christ i picked such a shitty car to start with as christ has been with me all the way and bloodly hell do i need that man to get this project across the line !

I have finally finished the puzzel with the car and the only bits missing i have got off another member here. He is an old school friend that i spent many a year pelting fruit across the quadrangle at Camden High on the lower grades at school.

The big problem with the car is getting the rear quaters in good condition and also the inners to fix up the inner guards - well its done and i have the car - thanks to Rob 350.

I have been in a bit of a holding pattern for a while as the panel shop is busy and my car is the hardest one on the rank at the moment.

The strategy is for the next few months is;
1) un pick the TA rear quaters and separate
2) un pick the GTR rear quaters and separate
3) then the car will be ready to re weld all new parts back in for the new year

It's been busy at work and i was to have some time off, but this hasn't happened as i have to move the office to a bigger place. Missus is going over seas to see mum and three kids for the Lucky is on hold.

I have a plan for one month to get the TA stripped and the GTR stripped in one week. this will be the next mile stone with the car and i cannot wait to get there, having said this it's only been 1 year so not going to bad.

Bought the engine stand and will bring the engine home to start the fitting of the bits and pieces.

god help me what a F%%%kn first project !

Ps ; I have some spare parts for sale if anyone is interested ?

Attached Files

#107 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

The quip to Page three relates to the old mirror newspaper with the topless chicks !

It's been a while since lucky has been on page three members area !

plugging away Like Federal Labour !

#108 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

is that Robs old TA?

#109 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

yep !, was !

soon to be cut in two !!!!

Part A - going to a torana TA race car that has had the front end smash and needs - firewall forward - runs a toyota motor
Part B - going ( rear quater skins) going onto my car

rest being sold on ebay !

#110 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

Update #32

The trip to the hospital.

moving my office upstairs to bigger area, last time i moved there three years ago, slipped and scrapped arm leg and back. Gave the owner a ring and said clean the moss off the stairs and the paving. His was too tight to do this !

Today moving up stairs to bigger offices , slipped F%%%king cracked my head on the stairs 6 stiches four hours in hospital and a massive head ache !

but on a lighter side bought the GOSS fuel pump for the car.

#111 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Update #32

The trip to the hospital.

moving my office upstairs to bigger area, last time i moved there three years ago, slipped and scrapped arm leg and back. Gave the owner a ring and said clean the moss off the stairs and the paving. His was too tight to do this !

Today moving up stairs to bigger offices , slipped F%%%king cracked my head on the stairs 6 stiches four hours in hospital and a massive head ache !

but on a lighter side bought the GOSS fuel pump for the car.

Your a clumsy bugger

#112 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hi Grant,

I hope that your ok mate.

Cheers John.

#113 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Yep fine thanks John. Still got some head pain, pretty sure that had concussion as the head ache was still there this morning.

Wayne, my missue rang my mum on some other matter and and told her, My mum didn't even ask how i was, just stated " oh well, we can just add it to all the other stupid things that he's done over the years".

#114 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

Sounds about what my old man would say, if he was still around Grant... take it easy mate.

#115 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Update # 33- the last piece of the motor - the rocker cover.

I can now finish the motor and prime with oil and take home.

once at home will start the other parts that need fitting.

Man I cannot wait to see that under the bonnet !

Attached Files

#116 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Udate # 34 - the re assembling of the front end.

Started the re assembly on the week end. Just a dummy bolt together. But came together so far pretty OK. Not sure about the tension of bolts at the moment but will put together and then re test when close to putting in car.

Attached Files

#117 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

Leave all the nuts for the bushes loose, then tighten them when fitted in the car with the engine fitted & weight on the wheels.
Looks like my front end did 12 years ago, till it got covered in bugs guts, road grime & stone chips.

#118 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Update # 35- the dash pad and glovebox lid !

it's done here it is

Must Keeep Goooooing

Attached Files

#119 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

Update #36 - the half cut ! and gear stick episode !

1) i have never cut a car in half but have now!, the things that a person will go to get the parts needed to fix their car.

The car i question even though it was partly stripped had a HUGE amount of screws, catches , wires , botls , nuts etc that i can use and was really helpfull. I will say to anyone doing this get BAGS a BLACK texter, MORE BAGS and collect, bag and store it all with the correct identification on the front of the bag. Most seasoned car choppers and restorers will know this.

The car in question was a 9 mth 74 bathurst special TA four cyclinder !, the car was not put together till 6mth 75 BUT it shows 74 on the compliance plate ? as the monroe shocks on the back has this date stamp. So for all the torana TA fans out there it's a 74 model with a 75 build date. The shocks are original GMH issue unless they are NOS that was put on the car. Bit wierd but another one of thoes GMH things.

Have to say a thanks to John K for the two days it was a great help.

The car will be as follows;
1) the front end went to wauhope up the north coast to live it's life on a race car
2) the rear quaters will be living it's life on a 72 GTR, wow that's like turning from a toad into a prince !

the other part will be ready and this is the new gearshift to screw into the rebuilt shifter.

so i have the following parts all in great conditon for sale ;

rear parcel shelf
rear beaver panel
rear boot floor
inner wheel arches
hood lining bows - two door

+.

Attached Files

#120 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Update #37

Well, a bit disapointed this week as the car was sent to the sandblaster for the final step. There was an amount of bog high on the turret side of the car as you can see in the above photos. The blasting of the quaters revealed some very ordinary top parts to both the quarters. Seemed a lot of effort to end up with this result. The bright side was the amount of bits and screws and nuts and bolt's that i got off the process.

I am in a process of - clean parts - undercoat and bag up and store. I feel like i have some rythm with the approach to the car.

Other things that got done this week were;
1) the drip trays inside the engine bay - preped and undercoated
2) re painted the steering rack - stripped the last attempt back and re cleaned and painted again
3) cleaned and preped the alternator brackets

FINALLY - GOT THE BLOODY DIP STICK OUT !!! OF THE DONOR CAR's 173 - man that was a job in itself ! - it came out but with scars ! -

#121 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Update #38

Well started removing the rear quaters off the gtr today ready for the new quaters. Also new inner wheel arches.

Note to anyone trying this at home, GET the parts book, see where the panel in the wheel arches join together, it's a bugger but it's not that bad. finding good rear quaters is a bigger challenge, if you are taking on this make sure that you give yourself 12 months to source panels.

Tomorrow will have all the car stripped and the new panels prepped ready for tacking on.

one more milllimeter, must keep going !

#122 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

update # 39- Another Day Another spot Weld to be drilled, I have found myself singing the tune of Aeroplane Jelly ad, but instead of saying Aeroplane Jelly, i have replaced it with the words Spot welds ! - I'm going spot weld mad !

I can now profess to be the fasted spot weld driller in the west.

Drivers side all stripped and prepped ( GTR) donor quater all sanded, drilled, prepped, all beated, NEARLY read to re fit. Thursday is the day.

A satisfying journey, even if it travels in millimeters some days.

#123 _napes_au_

_napes_au_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Keep 'em coming!!!! :spoton:

#124 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

update # 39 - the dash is ready for pickup tomorrow.

$265.

for newbys out there you need to make sure that the OHM's and the OIL pressure sender are correct for the GTR DASH. Aparentely there is a difference between the two dashes. WTF ? - see newby- anyway all sorted with the instrument dude.

total for the dash - $600 + new lenses + stip paint and re assembly -$265. time and effort chasing new lenses priceless.

another millimetre.

NEED blue gearbox cog for speedo - sounding all cars !

#125 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Update #40 - without further adoo !

one more mill

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users