• Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Looks great matty your attention to detail is second to none love ya work bud
you need to move over here and do my van

#202 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Sounds good, your car is a standout in both performance & appearance, I think they'd look great together. No stress about the dent in the orchid car, when you get the time it's all good. On a side note, got an email today from SM about snapping some pics for Iron Maiden feature or something so the mrs is pretty chuffed about that.

looks great matt take your time putting it back together we have to get the 2 silver bullets together for a pic next time at the track !

p.s sorry i havent been intouch about your dent ive been overseas on and off i can sort something out in the next week or 2 if you still need it done 

#203 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks mate, I've owned & built a few HQ-HZs including a windowless HQ V8 pano so I have experience in fixing them up, unfortunately life circumstances mean my foreseeable future lies in Sydney for now.

Looks great matty your attention to detail is second to none love ya work bud
you need to move over here and do my van

#204 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Nothing a plane ticket cant fix i already got some where for you to stay so i will get it stripped soon
just kidding but i am stripping it soon
gene.

#205 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Sounds good, your car is a standout in both performance & appearance, I think they'd look great together. No stress about the dent in the orchid car, when you get the time it's all good. On a side note, got an email today from SM about snapping some pics for Iron Maiden feature or something so the mrs is pretty chuffed about that.

its a great feeling getting your car in a mag after all your hard work even better when its on the cover and you stumble across it in the newsagent !

#206 _MRS LH SLR 3300_

_MRS LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Doing a shoot on Wed at my place for Iron maiden, don't know when it will be in Street Machine though

its a great feeling getting your car in a mag after all your hard work even better when its on the cover and you stumble across it in the newsagent !

#207 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Not sure if it is worthwhile bringing up this old thread, but anyhow. The car was painted & fitted up just in time for Toranafest this year. Despite the effort & attention to detail I put into this restoration, it hasn't done very well at the car shows I've taken it to, including Toranafest. Guess my workmanship isn't as good as I thought. So I decided that i'd go back to my grass roots, street strip racing. Again, it didn't live up to the expectations I've had of it all the years I've been pugging away at it, so I decided to pull the engine & all the EFI set up out & start again.

DSCF5731_zpsa7ff4859.jpg

DSCF5732_zps77854879.jpg

After some thought on the direction I wanted to go, I ended up going back to the tried & true carby fed engine. Built by Ned Sassine of Hercules Competition Engines, the new engine is a late model VS core 355. On a soft tune it made 568bhp & 480ft lbs torque on PULP on the Hercules engine dyno. If I run it on MS 109 & put more timing into it, it should go closer to 590bhp. Once it is in the car, it'll go back to Ned for a fine tune.

DSCF5729_zps0964f4b6.jpg

DSCF5733_zps3c45c11f.jpg

How you see the engine in the photos is how it was run on the dyno with the exception of a two inch carb spacer. Big thanks to Ned, Norm & Tony at Hercules Competition Engines for all your help.

#208 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Matt

The car is near perfect in the flesh... only you can pick the flaws...and trust me I'm a picky bastard and I couldn't see anything till you pointed it out

Alot of people are all about the plastic flares and big rubber

But there are those that appreciate the work and the effort you put into this car

If you asked many who have seen it in the flesh it would be one of their favourites

Certainly one of mine

#209 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I greatly appreciate your sentiments Neil, you are one person who's opinions I respect. You are right of course in this instant, take a look at any of the most recent car magazines that feature LH-LX Toranas & they all have flares, big tyres, black with golf ball trim & personalised number plates. From my experience attending shows with my car, that's all that is needed to win trophies & get magazine features. I just found it very disheartening that after spending a great deal of time on quality workmanship & attention to detail right down to the most insignificant nut or bolt to find a car that has rust blisters in the doors & spray can paint over 40 years of dirt & grime will get more accolades at shows etc just because of bolt on bling. Anyhow, my car is what it is & my focus is more towards driving it & driving hard rather than to waste my time parking it on an oval for people to pick the shit out of it because it has the wrong badges & stone chipped faded number plates.

#210 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

It is a beautiful car Matt. But its a car that doesnt 'stand out' to people which is why they cant appreciate the amount of detail and perfection in it. I have to admit, i saw it at the drags on the sunday we all went and it wasnt until i actually went up to it and had a proper look that i could really appreciate just how beautiful the car really is. I think i spent 10 minutes just admiring it. It is an absolute stunner, in a day where loud paint and big wheels is the trend and unfortunately it may be overlooked to the regular person, but i can guarantee anyone that wanders over to your car will be gobsmacked at the quality and workmanship of it.

I do like your plans of just enjoying it and driving it hard, and cant wait to see the new combo at the track!

#211 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'm not going to go into to too much detail, but I'm fairly certain it'll only see two passes at most before I get asked to leave & not come back without a roll cage & ANDRA tech inspection. I can appreciate that it is in most people's view a plain & boring car, that's kind of how I wanted it. Walk quietly but carry a big stick. In my line of work though, I figured if I could display a well built car that I crafted myself, it would be like a business card so to speak & it could possibly help further my career. For those who haven't seen it, here it is in all it's plain simplicity.

IMG_8834_zps352fd429.jpg

IMG_8511_zpse7a618e1.jpg

IMG_8626_zpsdf9d61b4.jpg

#212 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Its a beautiful thing matty you dont need trophys to tell you what a great job you do cant wait to see the new engine fire up
cheers gene.

#213 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

I can't wait to fit it & fire it up, wish I'd taken footage of it on the dyno last Thursday. Iit's a very aggressive engine with phenomenal throttle response. Should be a lot of fun to drive :)

#214 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

....to find a car that has rust blisters in the doors & spray can paint over 40 years of dirt & grime....

Hilarious - I've seen some 'top' cars at shows with some pretty interesting things going on in door jams.

Forget the show ponies Matt. Go turn some tyres with your beast :D

#215 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

That's the plan, top gear power skids at 100kph plus. Can't wait till next time Powercruise comes to Sydney.

#216 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

looks like this is the unclefesta killer matty....i'm finally doomed.. but on the other hand extremely happy for you mate..

if I've told you once I've told you a million times who gives a flying frOck what people think of your car all that matters is so long as your happy and your family is happy then all that really matters...

only your real mates and some forum members no how good your workmanship is..

your car speaks volumes about how represent yourself with pride and self respect and most importantly honesty...

now cut the shit and let's get ready to race...and please give me a little handicap...

#217 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Joe, but we're both part of the Hercules clan, so it isn't really an Unclefesta killer. I'll be happy just to run with you & the rest of the Harp Street boys, shit is cut & i'll be ready to race very soon.

#218 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Matt I'm with you when it comes to shows. May as well be people's choice judged by under 15's. Judges these days don't take the time to really look over your car. It's all done at a glance.
As for other peoples opinion, well it's nice to get credit when it's due, however, it's not worth the worry. Especially when they walk off and get in their Hyundi and drive off in embarrassment.

In my opinion, the car should be for what you want it to be for. And if driving hard is the answer, I'm just spewing I'm so far away!!!! To me thats the only way to go and my thoughts exactly.

Keep up the good work. As I'm sure you are, I'm interested to see how the track treats you.

Good Luck!!!!!

#219 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Tha is a beautiful car Matty, think i've said it before.

Keen on knowing how much the engine cost you. Pm me if you don't mind

#220 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

DSCF5734_zps1dd0eb65.jpg[/URL

[URL=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/LHSLR3300/media/DSCF5735_zps36ffc676.jpg.html]DSCF5735_zps36ffc676.jpg

Engine is in & more or less bolted up. A big thankyou to my good friend Norm Sassine & his son Manaki for helping me fit the engine. A little tricky in my narrow garage, but we got it done. Thanks :spoton:  Because it was fitted with EFI, I removed most of the engine wiring & all the existing fuel system with the previous engine, so during the week I'll re-wire the engine harness & hook up the MSD & 6AL, fit the Holley fuel pump & plumb in a whole new 3/8" fuel line. I also have a new four row core copper/brass radiator with twin 12" Maradyne fans & shroud arriving mid week, so all going well I might even get to drive it next weekend. As for the car show side of things, I think it's days are over. I'm over narrow minded people & I built this car for myself to suit my needs & taste, if show judges & magazine journos can't see past the 3300 badges & original number plates, so be it. Can't wait to get this thing rolling, I think I only drove it four times after getting the body/paint done & even though I only pulled the EFI engine around three weeks ago, I miss driving it & with close to 600bhp on tap, I think it'll be a hell of a ride.

#221 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hey Matt,

I love your car, and its a shame that you feel you need a couple of trophies or car show wins to make it worthwhile..... You do it for the love, no ?

Anyway, i think you have answered one of your own questions above....

You are obviously very good at what you do.
You are perhaps underpaid and not recognised for the standard of work you perform, and would aspire to becoming well known enough to work for yourself?
You have noticed that the cars that win car shows have flairs, big wheels, shit hanging out the bonnet, bling blah blah etc. etc... Just think how many people looked at that ugly piece of shit Corey brought along( no offence big fella !) with a tilt front... Full gay! But it attracts the crowd AND the votes.
YOUR current car is awesome and well admired by those who know quality.

So, keep it how it is, how YOU like it.... AND build the type of car that you know will win the shows... Trailer it round and show people how good you are, the rest will follow.

No point wasting your life whinging about judging at events... If you know what wins, BUIlD IT !

#222 _Yella-5000_

_Yella-5000_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Meh, car shows are like chook raffles, all depends if your number comes up on the day!!!

I hope you built the car for yourself and not others.  I hear ya, no matter how hard you try, when you do it yourself you still know where all the not so good bits are.  On the other hand, it is more annoying to get somebody else to do it, for it to come back with imperfections.

Nice work, really like it.

#223 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

In all honesty I did build this car for myself, not for show judges. I didn't know back when I started building this car, but I know now what it takes to get noticed in the car scene & each to their own, but those types of cars are not for me. In any case I think I've gone full circle back to my younger days when I built these cars to thrash & cruise around with like minded friends & I didn't give a shit for car shows etc. As such that is why you see no chrome or polish in the engine bay of my car now, it's all about functionality & what pleases me just as it was when I built my first V8 Torana. Once this car hits the road again, for the most part I'll probably just cruise it around & take it to modified car hang outs to bench race with my friends over a coffee etc & enjoy/admire the car for what it is.

#224 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

That's exactly how I like em plain and simple , I hate static type car shows there boring only show I take mine to is powercruise where you get to enjoy your car cruising and racing mates .

#225 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

The people that know good quality cars mate will always apppreciate a car like yours.  As for the trophy scene, it all comes down to what the particualr judge likes on the day. I have won a couple of trophy's over the years, and I must say both times toitally unexpected, and neither car was as good a quality as your current car mate.  Why do you think I pestered you for so long LOL...Anyway, I have a new project to get underway now and it will just be a tidy, fun car and won't win trophy's either...Can't wait to see the finished product mate.  Maybe a ride in it one day too :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users