• 235 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

http://www.ebay.com....=item231c8b7ce8

:cry:

#302 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Why dont you present some of these dim witted blue slip lads with some solid evidence??

If you want to hit hard im sure Sloper would help you out with some of the stuff he mustered up putting Torana Tough together.......

i would be starting with the lad who said only xu-1's came from the factory with a v8...Purely because im petty like that haha.

Cheers.

#303 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

That's seriously gotta suck man. Maybe get it checked by an engeneer to see what it needs. Maybe it's not gonna be as bad as you think.
I think here in Vic there not so stricked. I hope not anyway because I to have a LH s and I am doing a 308 conversion.. Have you maybe thought of club Rego?

#304 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hey Matt I think all the blue slip guys you are going too are having a lend of you. I've NEVER had a problem getting a Torana registered with a V8 even if it was previously a 4 or 6 cylinder.

Ruts

#305 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Kind of over it all, tried yet another inspector today, it needs an engineer report because i fitted a 9" diff. If i had any idea it would be this much trouble, i would've left the car as it was with faded paint & tired 173. Makes me wonder if it's worthwhile bothering with these cars at all, guess i should've worked that out when i sold my LJ 5.0ltr for the same reason.

#306 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I hope you can sort something out as i like your cars and the work and effort you put into them. Must be some way or else theres going to be more people like yourself in the same boat. I still have to do another engine swap in my car but i might keep same number now.

#307 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Get it rego'd in QLD??

Lad i use will mod plate it (qld thing) and road wothy it in a heartbeat.....

Cheers.

#308 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear that your having all these issues, but if I am correct it shouldn't matter to the person doing the change of numbers blue slip whether the car has a nine inch, as far as I know they are not doing a roadworthy?

There is bound to be someone out there that will be able to help. Unfortunately I don't know anyone, otherwise I would send you their way.

I really hope you take it off ebay and decide to keep it, especially considering the amount of work you have put into it.

Halil.

Edited by BCR42Y, 24 April 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#309 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Judging by some of the cars i see on the roads around my area with new rego plates & stickers, i think i'd have more success dragging some busted arse wreck of a Commodore out of the Pick-N-Payless yard & presenting that for a blue slip, leaking oil & bald tyres & all.

#310 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Reverse of username
  • Car:1976 LX L32 SL/R

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

WOW.... how times have changed. I can't believe that! To think of what I used to do with my Torana's back in the good 'ol days!

Is this a gradual change in policy and attitude, or a recent hard line because of media exposure and the like? If it's the latter, things always settle down, so if you can throw a cover over it and hang onto it for a while, then register it, all good. If not..... a real bummer to part it out. What's the go with your SL/R though? Won't you have the same issues now with that?

#311 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Keep your chin up, and keep at it, it's worth fighting for..

I have an original LH catalogue here if you want. The 'Spotlight on LH-LX Torana' book may also be of assistance.

PM me if you need a colour copy of the sales brochure.

The diff you will need to get engineered. Just do it. Talk to Keith about who they find amenable to Torries in the Sydney Torana Club.

Stop being silly.

Edited by Yella Fella, 24 April 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#312 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

hey matt,i can get your car blue slipped for you. you just need to know the right people.

he'll look at it as a replacement block for a red block because your red block was unusable...

#313 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

to by-past all the above put it on vintage/club plates, i have freinds with turbo vw's.
there got a few cars rego'd like this for a messly $150 approx per year and no engineering or blue slip required,
pink slip only needed. they are a registered workshop with blue-pink slip etc. might be an option for you Matt.

Edited by A9XOSS, 25 April 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#314 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

No will, no way. Where there is the will, there is a way.

#315 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

All good advice & options, & all comments appreciated. I would like to see it registered with V8, if the car doesn't sell i'll probably pursue it further or maybe just put the car in storage. The main reason why i decided to put it up for sale is because i have another project that needs all my disposable income & to have to throw large amounts of cash at this car to effect what i thought was/should be a simple adjustment of records would mean my new project would be set back further.
Posted Image
Then if the orange car does sell, i'll be getting this car back on the road alot quicker.

#316 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

I had a chat to a guy about this yesterday.

He seems to think the issue is that its tagged as a 6, which confuses the RTA computers when you say it now has an eight in it.

Apparently the computers just say no to a v8 in a 6 cylinder car without an engineers report.

One of the new hoops that modifiers now have to jump through.

This may or may not be true and it would be good to get this either confirmed or debunked by somebody in NSW on here that

has access to this information and can give a 100% accurate answer.

If it IS true,Id be looking for an engineer or even removing the tags and trying again.

Good luck with it, Matt, its a freaking joke that you are having a problem with this.

#317 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

That's exactly what i'm being told by both blue slip inspectors & the RMS. Probably should've researched it better but then i've been converting 6cyl LH-LX Toranas to V8 since i was 18 (i'm 39 now) & never struck this issue before, so i didn't think there would be any problem. I've dealt with engineers before & the possibility of having to deal with one again is what really put me off & lead me to believe i'd be better off getting rid of the car. As i mentioned before i got burned by one before to the extent i had to sell the car at a loss, unengineered & unregistered. Once bitten, twice shy.

#318 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Reverse of username
  • Car:1976 LX L32 SL/R

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Back in the day you could slot a 308 into a SunBudgie no problem, but now.... is it a case of factory 4 or 6, stays a 4 or 6?

#319 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

G'day all,

as some of you may know the rules regulating engineers in NSW changed late last year, with the scrapping of the original - and dodgy - Engineers scheme, and introduction of a new one. Info here: http://www.rta.nsw.g...sccs/index.html

I would say this is what is causing the problem - the actual rules for modifying cars hasn't changed, but the way we now use engineers has. An engineer will have to tick the box, from my understanding, to say ok to replacing a six with a V8, but the rules themselves haven't changed, Also, precedents are now counted, That is, if someone has had their LH six engineered with a V8, it's just a matter of the engineer signing it off, rather than going through all the rigmarole of testing your actual car.

I understand your reluctance Matt to deal with an engineer, but give it a go before selling your hard work, I am confident the new scheme should make things easier for us. And no, I am not an engineer... :-)

#320 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Here you go, show em this:

Posted Image

You have to remember, our cars probably represent less than 1% of all car registrations these days, so knowledge on the ground is limited. Last year I got told by the inspector that all my warning lights should come on in the Torrie and stay on for a short time after the motor has started!!!!! Time has moved on.

Also in the same ad, I found out, that bumper over-riders are actually an LH accessory!!!! Damn and I gave some away!!! Pretty sure I still have a good set here for myself. I can post that ad if you want as well. The spoilers were also an option on any LH!!!! Thanks for getting me to go back through all my old stuff. You always learn something new every day.

Oh, the advert is from the May 1974 Wheels Magazine.

Edited by Yella Fella, 25 April 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#321 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Sucks that you've tried to do the right thing & got road blocks Matt.
Wouldn't have minded buying it like I said last time I saw you at work but it's just gone over what I could afford to pay.Nice fun car to toy with.

See ya in a few months with the gtr if things go to plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users