117 replies to this topic

#51 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^Thank you.

Yep, I got a copy too.

Cheers

Edited by The Baron, 05 February 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#52 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

So who's going to nominate there car from here???Posted Image

Nahh if they want to talk to me I would be willing but I wont be chasing them.

Herne

#53 _mattlea1_

_mattlea1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys, the mag has been coming along well and I am now about to start work on issue #4. The array of cars we have been shooting are great and they are still coming in quicker than we can get them shot.

Posted Image

#54 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

I picked up issue 2 in the newsagents yesterday! I gotta say, I'm impressed!

Really top quality photos, and a really nice design that is very easy to read! I really liked the HK 427 Silver Monaro too!!!!! More cars like that!!!!

#55 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

argh i missed these, anyway to catch up???

#56 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Matt
Magazine looks the goods, but PLEASE get the facts right first before going to print! That extra 5% does make a difference! I know some of what I put below is pretty technical stuff, but it is important to get it right when presenting facts.
I'll give you a few examples:
Page 16 last paragraph. 4 speed was the standard gearbox behind 307 in HK GTS, huge amounts were built. It was HT where you could only get a 307 auto.
Page 25, text in the middle of the page. L34 engine code wasn't exclusive to LH. L34 was the engine code for the 327 engine in HK, and right up until the last minute the HK GTS327 was intended to be an L34 optioned HK GTS, not a separate model like itended up. So late that at least one was built.
Page 59, right hand side last paragraph. 350ci SBC was also available in LS Monaro and XW8 Kingswood, not just GTS Monaro and Statesman. To be totally correct it was also available in Statesman Deville as well. One area of much lesser importance in the same section is that a 253 was never really an "option" in HQ, it was actually standard in V8 models except Statesman Deville (1469) and GTS350 coupe (1837). All other HQ V8 models like 0270, 0469, 1235 etc all had a 253 as standard, most with 308 optional and some with 350 optional.
Page 58, breakout box just above HQ boot - VT SII was never fitted with a Chevy engine. The GenIII is a GM Powertrain engine. No more Chev than Holden or Pontiac engine.
Page 59, breakout box. HK-HG guard vents look absolutely nothing like HJ-HZ.
Page 61 LH side breakout box. Not all Monaros from HQ-HZ used 14x6 N66 rally rims. The following didn't:
HQ Monaro - standard rims and Kingswood hubcaps.
HQ LS - Standard rims and Premier hubcaps.
HJ LS - Standard HJ Premier hubcaps.
HX LE - 14x6 Polycast gold rims.
HJ-HZ 4 door GTS - optional with 14x7 ploycast silver rims.
HZ GTS - optional with 14x6 wire spoke chrome rims.
HZ GTS after 9/78 - N67 14x6 alloy rims (later used on HZ SL/E).

#57 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Matt
Magazine looks the goods, but PLEASE get the facts right first before going to print! That extra 5% does make a difference! I know some of what I put below is pretty technical stuff, but it is important to get it right when presenting facts.
I'll give you a few examples:
Page 16 last paragraph. 4 speed was the standard gearbox behind 307 in HK GTS, huge amounts were built. It was HT where you could only get a 307 auto.
Page 25, text in the middle of the page. L34 engine code wasn't exclusive to LH. L34 was the engine code for the 327 engine in HK, and right up until the last minute the HK GTS327 was intended to be an L34 optioned HK GTS, not a separate model like itended up. So late that at least one was built.
Page 59, right hand side last paragraph. 350ci SBC was also available in LS Monaro and XW8 Kingswood, not just GTS Monaro and Statesman. To be totally correct it was also available in Statesman Deville as well. One area of much lesser importance in the same section is that a 253 was never really an "option" in HQ, it was actually standard in V8 models except Statesman Deville (1469) and GTS350 coupe (1837). All other HQ V8 models like 0270, 0469, 1235 etc all had a 253 as standard, most with 308 optional and some with 350 optional.
Page 58, breakout box just above HQ boot - VT SII was never fitted with a Chevy engine. The GenIII is a GM Powertrain engine. No more Chev than Holden or Pontiac engine.
Page 59, breakout box. HK-HG guard vents look absolutely nothing like HJ-HZ.
Page 61 LH side breakout box. Not all Monaros from HQ-HZ used 14x6 N66 rally rims. The following didn't:
HQ Monaro - standard rims and Kingswood hubcaps.
HQ LS - Standard rims and Premier hubcaps.
HJ LS - Standard HJ Premier hubcaps.
HX LE - 14x6 Polycast gold rims.
HJ-HZ 4 door GTS - optional with 14x7 ploycast silver rims.
HZ GTS - optional with 14x6 wire spoke chrome rims.
HZ GTS after 9/78 - N67 14x6 alloy rims (later used on HZ SL/E).

HX LE and HZ GTS are not Monaros

#58 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

HX LE is certainly a Monaro. And if HZ isn't then technically that is a mistake too as there is no such thing as a HZ Monaro (although some GMH documents state that they are).

Edited by yel327, 05 April 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#59 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

HX LE is certainly a Monaro. And if HZ isn't then that is a mistake too!

Check your facts HZ is a gts not monaro

#60 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

In my opinion they should be but theres no Monaro badge on the car.
The HX LE was listed as HX LE Coupe.
The HZ GTS was as HZ GTS.

#61 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

In my opinion they should be but theres no Monaro badge on the car.
The HX LE was listed as HX LE Coupe.
The HZ GTS was as HZ GTS.

Thats what the holden book says or is that wrong to

#62 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:00 PM

Check your facts HZ is a gts not monaro

OK then, model code WQ37 says GTS coupe, as does LE. Article is still wrong as it actually calls HZ GTS a Monaro. HZ Owners Manual actually states HZ GTS Monaro too from memory, other liertaure just calls it a GTS. All of what I pointed out still remains incorrect.

#63 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

I also made a typo in the above, LE rims are 14x7.

HZ parts catalogue shows HZ GTS as "Monaro GTS" in the identification section, as does some other stuff yet other literature doesn't. In reality it has no Monaro name so it is just HZ GTS which I remember hearing was a last minute decision. The HX LE and HZ GTS have no Monaro badges, but as far as I recall neither did HQ GTS350 coupe until 1973. The LE really is a Monaro, even if literature doesn't call it one. All Holden coupes were Monaros, even V2's. And the LE was the last, ie the tribute to the HK-HJ Monaros. Actually the very first LE, ie the prototype was a HJ GTS Monaro coupe, i'm pretty sure it was 12/75 plated when I saw it at Warwick last year. So at least 1 x LE is defintely a Monaro, and it had Pontiac snowflake rims on it!

#64 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

there is no such thing as a HZ Monaro (although some GMH documents state that they are).

The documents came from GMH, they'd be the ones to know right? It seems this is debatable.

Like the LE coupe, the HZ GTS 4-door did not wear a Monaro badge but the brochure produced for it certainly did and it was officially designated a 'Monaro GTS sedan'. Holden was unwilling to let the legend lapse.

http://www.uniquecar...n_hz_monaro.htm

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 06 April 2011 - 07:20 AM.

#65 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

On a more relevant and less nit picking note, where can I get this? None of my local newsos carry it

#66 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hey Chris, try sending Matt a P.M and i am sure he will let you know which news agent groups stock it.

As for the other stuff if it matters that much to you give Matt a call and offer to proof read it before publication. I am certain he would appreciate your help as you clearly have information and experience that would assist.

#67 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

Happy to do that, as you guys should be for Torana related stuff. No-one wants to see wrong information published and history changed. The LC/LJ crowd seem the most militant of all on this! Magazine itself with articles of cars is great. Street Machine used to do the same. However you'll note that almost all of the stuff I pointed out was in little "facts" boxes and tidbits of info. This was also where Street Machine used to fall down. It should either be right or not there.

#68 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

argh i missed these, anyway to catch up???

Saw both issues on the shelf at the newsagent in Floreat
shopping center yesterday might be able to help if you need
(but it'll be 6 mag's in the post) or as others said see if matt can help.

Jono

#69 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

As for the other stuff if it matters that much to you give Matt a call and offer to proof read it before publication. I am certain he would appreciate your help as you clearly have information and experience that would assist.

Yep, they're only a new publication, so those networks of knowledge are still developing, and I'm sure they would be exstatic to have access to you Byron. Just don't give too much away - if I copy and paste all your comments over the last three months I can get your book out before you do!! :P

BTW, there is a maroon LE in the Campbelltown/Ingleburn area that sports Monaro badges and was a one owner, unmolested car when I knew of it 6-10yrs ago - funny, there are a few maroon LEs in that area.....wish I could give you a better lead on it mate.

And on topic, will have to find a newsagent to have a squiz.

Grant..

#70 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Got issue 2 today, very happy with it.

#71 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

got my issue mail out about 2 weeks ago my car is on page 32,well done matt keep up the good work,would be good for hayden to see what his old torana looks like now

cheers grant and headbutt

Edited by brocks72xu1, 06 April 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#72 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Got issue 2 yesterday. Looks awesome, cant wait to have a proper read through.

#73 _UCaLX_

_UCaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

^ Yeah I concur. Just bought issue 2 at lunch. A very nice production. BTW there are a couple of very sweet Torries in this issue. I especially like the SS Hatch (great colour) :buttrock:

#74 _mattlea1_

_mattlea1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi guys, I am glad you like the mag so far and I have been getting some excellent feedback on it. I just want to mention that I put the entire magazine together myself from spending nearly every weekend dragging my wife around a car related event with a camera in one hand and a note pad and pen in the other looking for feature cars, organising photo shoots, arranging interstate contributors, booking in studio time, interviewing car owners, writing stories, balancing the budget and sitting in on meetings. As this magazine has now basically become a monthly publication all this is done in a very limited time span. I do my absolute best to get my facts straight however all I have to rely on is what information I can find out myself and what the car owners tell me.

A lot of people have asked why the hell would I spend nearly every waking minute working on this magazine? well simply, I just love cars and everything about them and always have. Issue five will be completed by the end of this week and I am about to start putting issue six together. Issue three will be on sale early May and there is some excellent Torana content in there.

If you are having trouble buying the mag you can simply go on to www.magstore.com.au and order current and past issues.

Neils LX, I have read your post and you clearly know your Holdens and I appreciate the criticism, as I said I can only go off what I can find out in a limited amount of time one thing I do want to mention is Page 59- Im not saying that HK-HG Monaro guard vents are similar to HJ-HZ. What I am saying is that the HK-HG used the same vent and then HQ changed to the horizontal vent and then the HJ used the same vent right through to HZ. Therefore the HQ vent only lasted for one model.

Regards Matt.

#75 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

got my issue mail out about 2 weeks ago my car is on page 32,well done matt keep up the good work,would be good for hayden to see what his old torana looks like now

cheers grant and headbutt

Got my issue today,
WELL DONE Grant your car looks great mate. :clap:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users