Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

A very similar wheel on ebay right now.

HOLDEN COMMODORE 15" ALLOY WHEEL & TYRE VB VC VH VK(1)

s

#53 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

VB wasn't released in a 4 cyl.

Unless you live in NZ... :-(

Now that's interesting. Was it a Starfire? or a re-badged Vauxhall Carlton?

#54 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Starfire, I think we were just the early adopters (and late, they went to the end of the VKs as well). We always got the underpowered models, but on the upside Grandad cars tend to be looked after and make good projects later in life...

#55 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

A very similar wheel on ebay right now.

HOLDEN COMMODORE 15" ALLOY WHEEL & TYRE VB VC VH VK(1)

s

The round machined ring around the centre of the wheel is larger on Micks prototypes.

#56 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

The round machined ring around the centre of the wheel is larger on Micks prototypes.

It definitely looks thicker but keep in mind the prototype is 13" and the ebay one is 15" so the proportions may be different.

s

#57 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

It definitely looks thicker but keep in mind the prototype is 13" and the ebay one is 15" so the proportions may be different.

s

Exactly Stephen.
I have a 13 sle rim here which i took a photo of and compared it with micks and compared the width of the ring with the prototype and they are exactly the same , the width of the ring is about 0.9cm.

The image I got of the ebay add was a little blury, my best measurements put the ring at about 0.8cm in width.

#58 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

The image I got of the ebay add was a little blury, my best measurements put the ring at about 0.8cm in width.

LOL, you're talking 1mm.

Also the ebay one is engineered and was put into production so measurements probably needed a little massaging.

s

#59 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

What gets me is why Holden messed with the car in the first place and not just left it as it was instead of painting it silver and putting on those alloys??

#60 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

I don't care what anyone says, I believe they are the real thing and do hold some value.

Its like the guy that bought the smashed wheels off Brockies Vectra, can't use them for anything but they were on BROCKIES VECTRA!!
YEAH BABY!!Posted Image

#61 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

What gets me is why Holden messed with the car in the first place and not just left it as it was instead of painting it silver and putting on those alloys??

I think that I read somewhere that the gave the GTR-X and the Hurricane the new paint jobs to "Modernise" them.

Here is a pic of them both together in their new paint..

Note the Holden Badge on the front of the Hurricane... c.1977/78
Posted Image

cheers
Mick

#62 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

mick the hurricane has got vn hubcaps on it.same as the ones on my mates vn cop car he used to own. i remember the newspaper article back in the 90s,when tafe students ( i think ) restored the "cane. id love to see it in the flesh one day!

#63 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

4 cyl commodore is fairly close to Torana pattern if I recall

Yes Datto,
you are correct.

The "SL/E" Style Rims were seen on the following cars;

TD SL/E Gemini - 13" x 5" - from May 1978
UC SL/E Sunbird - 13" x 6" - from Sep 1978
VB SL/E C'dore - 15" x 6" - from Nov 1978
HZ SL/E Statesman - 14" x 6" - from July 1979
VC SL/E C'dore - 15" x 6" - from Mar 1980
TE Gemini Gypsy P/van - 13" x 5" - from Mar 1980

I beleive that there was a limited edition VC 4 cylinder car that was done for a royal visit or something?
It was Royal blue and it had either 13 x 6 or 14 x 6 SL/E rims as well.

cheers
Mick

i remember a local in the southern highlands nsw having a dark blue crumpledoor when i was a teen.gold pinstipes,royal on the bootlid.wondered what the go was with that one.the v8 papaya was my favourite>

#64 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

They should have shot the guy who ruined these cars by re paitning them. Posted Image

The Hurricaine looked great just how it was!

Attached Files

#65 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Great picture Mick. :spoton:

#66 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

^ My fav Holden.

#67 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

4 cyl commodore is fairly close to Torana pattern if I recall

Yes Datto,
you are correct.

The "SL/E" Style Rims were seen on the following cars;

TD SL/E Gemini - 13" x 5" - from May 1978
UC SL/E Sunbird - 13" x 6" - from Sep 1978
VB SL/E C'dore - 15" x 6" - from Nov 1978
HZ SL/E Statesman - 14" x 6" - from July 1979
VC SL/E C'dore - 15" x 6" - from Mar 1980
TE Gemini Gypsy P/van - 13" x 5" - from Mar 1980

I beleive that there was a limited edition VC 4 cylinder car that was done for a royal visit or something?
It was Royal blue and it had either 13 x 6 or 14 x 6 SL/E rims as well.

cheers
Mick

Mick

Not quite correct for the 14" version. The 14" N67 alloy wheel was fitted as standard to HZ GTS and Sandman from 18/9/78. It replaced the original N66 6JJ Rally rim first seen in 1973 on HQ GTS (earlier HQ GTS used an imported Canadian 6KJ rim). Like the N66, the N67 rim was optional across the HZ range except 1-tonner. It was later used on the HZ SL/E Statesman (where it incorrectly got it's SL/E tag from). It would have been last seen as standard fitment on the HZ Sandman vans or the last of the SL/E Statesmans in late 1979. It was also optional on all WB except 1-tonner.

I'm also pretty sure the 15" N67 rim was standard as part of the 'Euro" pack or whatever it was called on VB-VC SL.

Edited by yel327, 31 March 2011 - 05:58 AM.

#68 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

Mick

Not quite correct for the 14" version. The 14" N67 alloy wheel was fitted as standard to HZ GTS and Sandman from 18/9/78. It replaced the original N66 6JJ Rally rim first seen in 1973 on HQ GTS (earlier HQ GTS used an imported Canadian 6KJ rim). Like the N66, the N67 rim was optional across the HZ range except 1-tonner. It was later used on the HZ SL/E Statesman (where it incorrectly got it's SL/E tag from). It would have been last seen as standard fitment on the HZ Sandman vans or the last of the SL/E Statesmans in late 1979. It was also optional on all WB except 1-tonner.

I'm also pretty sure the 15" N67 rim was standard as part of the 'Euro" pack or whatever it was called on VB-VC SL.

That is interesting that you say that they were fitted standard to the HZ from Sept 78. I don't think that many owners of the time would have opted for these rims, especially on the GTS..

I also thought that the SL/E Statesman did have SL/E badges, hence the name..

I know that the VC Commodore "50th Anniversary" Sedan also wore the rims..

Holden certainly got some milage out of the design, that's for sure!

cheers
Mick

#69 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Standard fitment to HZ GTS and Sandman from 9/78. Optional on all others. If you got a HZ Sandman after about 9/78 you had to have these rims, no choice. If you got a GTS you only had 2 x other choices: 14x7 polycast or 14x6 chrome wire spoke, both at a hefty option cost. The N67 alloy rims actually looked a lot better than a HZ GTS with N66 rims prior to 9/78. Sandmans looked good with the old N66 rims as they were painted silver and charcoal like other 1973 onwards N66 rally rims. However HZ GTS got body colour and charcoal on it's N66 rims plus dress rims which looked bloody awful on some colours eg ultra blue or windsor blue.

What I meant with the SL/E name was people incorrectly call the 14" versions SL/E rims, but they are really HZ/WB rally rims or HZ GTS rims. SL/E is just a small subset of the vehicles that got these. Different in Gemini, Torana and Commodore though where most were on SL/E's.

#70 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Standard fitment to HZ GTS and Sandman from 9/78. Optional on all others. If you got a HZ Sandman after about 9/78 you had to have these rims, no choice. If you got a GTS you only had 2 x other choices: 14x7 polycast or 14x6 chrome wire spoke, both at a hefty option cost. The N67 alloy rims actually looked a lot better than a HZ GTS with N66 rims prior to 9/78. Sandmans looked good with the old N66 rims as they were painted silver and charcoal like other 1973 onwards N66 rally rims. However HZ GTS got body colour and charcoal on it's N66 rims plus dress rims which looked bloody awful on some colours eg ultra blue or windsor blue.

What I meant with the SL/E name was people incorrectly call the 14" versions SL/E rims, but they are really HZ/WB rally rims or HZ GTS rims. SL/E is just a small subset of the vehicles that got these. Different in Gemini, Torana and Commodore though where most were on SL/E's.

Thanks Byron

I would love to see some pics of the HZ and the Sandman with them fitted..

cheers
Mick

#71 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

There is a HZ XX7 ute on my website with N67 rims. This was taken when the ute was new.

http://www.monaropar.../sandman.htm#HZ

Dates on the site are no longer vaid though (see the very top of the page for explanation).
HZ GTS are a bit harder to find. There was a really low kM one on AMCsales a while back with some.

Edit - found the link:

http://australianmus...en-gts?query=hz

Edited by yel327, 04 April 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#72 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

#73 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hi, i think these rims where the rims fitted to the to the GTR/X in the picture on page one.

What sold it for me was, if you look at the second picture of the rims he bought on page one of this thread you will notice that it once had a wheel balance stuck on the side and it has left a mark where it once was.
If you then look at the first picture of the GTR/X at the top of the page check out the front right wheel and look closely at the positon of the lead wheel balance on relation to the spokes and the centre cap and you will see that it is in excactly the same positon as the wheel pictured in the shed.

Now for that to happen would be like winning lotto cause there are 360 deg in a circle and the chances of two wheels getting the same lead weight in excactly the same place would be just rediculous and another thing the lead weight looks the same size as the mark left on the bought wheel.
Anyway just my opinion but check it out and see what you think.
Cheers :buttrock:

#74 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

Now for that to happen would be like winning lotto cause there are 360 deg in a circle and the chances of two wheels getting the same lead weight in excactly the same place would be just ridiculous.

Not really like winning lotto, the chances are 1 in 360.

the lead weight looks the same size as the mark left on the bought wheel.

Let's say there are 10 different sizes of lead weight, then the chance becomes 1 in 3600.

Still, much better odds than winning lotto which is 1 in (45 x 44 x 43 x 42 x 41 x 40), in other words 1 in 5,864,443,200

s

#75 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Looking at the pic on page 1, I can't tell how the lion on the wheel centre is oriented, it could be any angle. The lead weight is just under the bar directly opposite one of the wheel nut holes.

The bars on the wheel pattern don't all line up to the holes but you can reduce the above odds by a factor of 5 as the wheel can be split into 5 similar segments.

Therefore the odds become 1 in 72 or 1 in 720 if there are 10 different sizes of lead weight.

However, looking at the pic on page 1 yet again I notice the lead weight is placed just anticlockwise to the bar directly opposite the wheel nut hole.

The close up of the wheel shows the lead weight anticlockwise to the bar above or clockwise to the bar directly opposite the wheel nut hole.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 05 May 2011 - 08:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users