gear box ?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

I liked the ratio spread for a street car, it has a good first (2.64 )not two long and great space between 2nd and 3rd (1.75 -1.51). Very close to depress ratios.

this is the closest to those figs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Richmond+Gear/836/1304000069/10002/-1

#27 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

I remember seeing a VS V8 5 speed box for sale somewhere for $1500.

Theres your T5, most standard T5's will be able to run 400HP pretty comfortably.

#28 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

theres some interesting info here...

buget has to be under control as like most of us we want the best but ...how much $$$$$

the t5.... this was in Commodore and fords ...behind 6cy? most of what you are talking about i am having to research sorry if i can have a input what modle or year should i look for with the t5??

i had to start some where with this... i have no problem altering the floors as i have to replace them any way.

i come back into this car building after a 30 year break developing a family...Posted Image)

at 52 theres much to learn the project was to have started 2 years ago but thing when a bit off track ..but all good now.

i have 2 hatchbacks a lx and a uc my original plan was the uc lx convertion as i wanted to custmise every thing about it but then the lx came up
except for the floors the car is rust free...after thinking about it for a year or so i wounder weather i should continue with the uc convertion rather than the lx as the lx would make a great restoration project for a enthusiast who want the original deal.... where i would possably be changing somethings aout the lx.. i know can hear now ...i will have the hatch if you dont want it ...not made up my mind yet..

many thanks for the input

tom

had another quote for richmond super t10

Hi Tom,

T 10 new is $3399 and shifter is $399, you will also need to change your
Bell housing $550. Freight is Adelaide $50

Kind Regards,

Grant Munday
GMP Racing Products Pty Ltd.
20b Clifford Street
Huntingdale, VIC 3166
AUSTRALIA

If you decide to go with a T5 the best fit into a torana is a ford 6 cyl EA 1988 right throu to EL 1999, from 1993 on they made the box slightly stronger and added a sychro on reverse gear also the ratios were changed to a slightly taller 1st gear and closer ratios.

Holden 8 and 6 boxes are really to long to fit a torana putting the shift to far rearward.

#29 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

I remember seeing a VS V8 5 speed box for sale somewhere for $1500.

Theres your T5, most standard T5's will be able to run 400HP pretty comfortably.

The most Ive payed for a ford 6cyl T5 is $300 LOL

#30 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

Agree with Nemo's comment. You should be able to buy a registered VR/VS commodore with a T5 in it for 1000-1500 bucks, remove the box and the back callipers and backing plates for a brake conversion. Then sell the rest of the car to the wreckers or use the interior and other bits for your build. At least you can take the car for a few laps round the block, give it some stick and see if it's still tight. Other option is something like Pickles damaged car auctions.

More info on the tremec website fot T5's, TKO and T56

http://www.ttcautomo...roducts/T-5.asp

IMO bang in a cheap T5 or if you never intend to sell the car just pull out your credit card and go for a T56 brand new 3k + parts. the parts you will need will be similar to your first quote but can be sourced alot cheaper. Everything besides the box can be brought cheap second hand. I think i saw some of the high spec Monaro W427 new boxes for 3.5k somewhere recently. That way you can upgrade your engine down the track if you wish without issue. You will just need to cut the trans tunnel out of a VX model and up commodore and weld in place of your original trans tunnel. You will also have to send the box to Mal Wood or similar and have them reconfigure the shifter position forward more. If you go down this path you will need some advice on weather a gen 3 LS1 (cheaper box from VT-mid VZ) or the Gen4 LS2/LS3/L98 M10 model gearbox from Late Vz-VE is more suitable as they are different.

You may have to change your diff ratio depending on box selection. Also i don't think you had an allowance for a new tailshaft on your list as little bits and pieces add up in a build.

Good luck.

#31 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

Agree with Nemo's comment. You should be able to buy a registered VR/VS commodore with a T5 in it for 1000-1500 bucks, remove the box and the back callipers and backing plates for a brake conversion. Then sell the rest of the car to the wreckers or use the interior and other bits for your build. At least you can take the car for a few laps round the block, give it some stick and see if it's still tight. Other option is something like Pickles damaged car auctions.

More info on the tremec website fot T5's, TKO and T56

http://www.ttcautomo...roducts/T-5.asp

IMO bang in a cheap T5 or if you never intend to sell the car just pull out your credit card and go for a T56 brand new 3k + parts. the parts you will need will be similar to your first quote but can be sourced alot cheaper. Everything besides the box can be brought cheap second hand. I think i saw some of the high spec Monaro W427 new boxes for 3.5k somewhere recently. That way you can upgrade your engine down the track if you wish without issue. You will just need to cut the trans tunnel out of a VX model and up commodore and weld in place of your original trans tunnel. You will also have to send the box to Mal Wood or similar and have them reconfigure the shifter position forward more. If you go down this path you will need some advice on weather a gen 3 LS1 (cheaper box from VT-mid VZ) or the Gen4 LS2/LS3/L98 M10 model gearbox from Late Vz-VE is more suitable as they are different.

You may have to change your diff ratio depending on box selection. Also i don't think you had an allowance for a new tailshaft on your list as little bits and pieces add up in a build.

Good luck.

thanks for that mre good idears i have a couple of weeks of so will be doing some research on these ideas had a quote from jeg in usa for a richmond super t10 2.2k to adelaide??

thanks again tom

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

If you decide to go with a T5 the best fit into a torana is a ford 6 cyl EA 1988 right throu to EL 1999, from 1993 on they made the box slightly stronger and added a sychro on reverse gear also the ratios were changed to a slightly taller 1st gear and closer ratios.

All World Class boxes have reverse gear synchro and the only difference in strength is whatever difference the different ratios makes

#33 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

All World Class boxes have reverse gear synchro and the only difference in strength is whatever difference the different ratios makes

All T5s are rate on there first gear for strength pre 1993 265 foot pound rating after 93 300 foot pound and ford Z box 330 foot pound regardless of there ratios.

I pulled apart a number of T5s and not all WCs have sychro on reverse, they are set up for it and easy to install, but only 93 and later had them fitted. In Australia any way

#34 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

All World Class boxes have a reverse synchro, if it doesn't then it will be an earlier T5.

#35 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

All T5s are rate on there first gear for strength pre 1993 265 foot pound rating after 93 300 foot pound and ford Z box 330 foot pound regardless of there ratios.

I pulled apart a number of T5s and not all WCs have sychro on reverse, they are set up for it and easy to install, but only 93 and later had them fitted. In Australia any way

so if i go after 93 from a ford for what i want to use it for what ratios should i be looking at??

#36 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

so if i go after 93 from a ford for what i want to use it for what ratios should i be looking at??

They only come in one ratio for the 93 and later 6 cyl boxes 3.25, 1.99, 1.29, 1, 0.72. The same ratios as V6 commodores so in theory a shorter falcon input shaft should fit straight in to a ford box.

Pre 93 box ratios are 3.5, 2.14, 1.39, 1, 0.73

#37 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

Unless i'm mistaken, wont the Fraud box need a special bellhousing due to the stupid lenght of the input shaft? Buying aftermarket Bellhousings is an expensive exercise!

Much easier.... simply fit the Fraud rear extension housing to your Commodore sourced T-5, then you have the correct bellhousing, the right input shaft length & the Holden clutch & flywheel assembly all bolt up nicely too!

I am assuming that you already have a turbo pattern block?

#38 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

All World Class boxes have a reverse synchro, if it doesn't then it will be an earlier T5.

Not All T-5's are Created Equal
Not all Borg Warner T-5's are the same. The first T-5 five speeds were introduced to market in 1982, in all things, a AMC Spirit/Concord. In 1983, T-5's were introduced to Mustangs and are currently still used in the V-6 Mustangs. The T-5 is the only American made standard transmission to span almost 20 years of production. Because of the large quantities of T-5's produced, many parts are interchangeable. There are now over 200 different T-5 transmission assembly part numbers and still counting.
World Class & Non-World Class
There are two basic kinds of T-5's, Non World Class (NWC) and World Class (WC). In 1983 and 84 Ford used Non-World Class T-5 to improve performance and gas mileage at the same time. The NWC boxes had 2.95 first gear set with 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gears riding on a solid output shaft. The counter gears spin on straight cylindrical bearings with thrust washer in front. 3rd, 4th and 5th gears used solid bronze synchros. 1st and 2nd gears used fiber linings bonded to steel rings. Torque rating for the NWC was 265ft/lbs.
1985, Ford introduced the World Class T-5 installed with 3.35 first gear set. No longer were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears spinning on a solid output shaft. Needle bearings were installed under each gear to reduce drag. The lower counter gears saw tapered bearings. All main shaft synchros were fiber lined steel rings to improve ring surface area while 5th remains bronze. By improving the surface area, the synchro slows the gear faster making for smoother shifts. Torque rating remained the same at 265ft/lbs.
1990 to 1993 the stock Ford production V-8 WC T-5 was upgraded with stronger 3.35 gear set. The nickel content was increased to produce a harder, stronger gear. 2nd and 3rd gear ratios decrease slightly. Synchro linings on 3rd, 4th were improved by changing to carbon fiber to further improve shifting. Longer throw shifter was installed to "easier to shift". Torque rating jumped to 300ft/lbs.
When the 93 Cobra was introduced, so was the "Cobra Spec" T-5. It was the first T-5 with a front tapered output bearing and steel front bearing retainer. The Cobra boxes also received a reverse brake and synchro assembly where there was none before. Just about everything else remained the same. Torque rating was increased to 310ft/lbs.
1994 and 95 were the last two years Ford used the T-5 behind a V-8. In the SN95 Mustangs, the bell housing in both 3.8L and 5.0L was made longer to place the T-5 shifter in the correct location to the body. This in turn made the input shaft longer. The neutral safety switch was eliminated, as it was no longer needed. Everything else remained the same.
Today's V-6 Mustangs sports the last of the T-5s. The T-5 behind the 3.8L is a 3.35 first gear set with a .68 over drive. What makes these different from the rest is the electronic speedometer trigger. No longer is there a mechanical driven cable system. It has the longer input shaft equipped with a steel front bearing retainer and reverse synchro brake assembly. Torque rating is 300ft/lbs.
Ford also used the T-5 in 2.3L through the years. While the 4 cylinder T-5 may appear to be the same they are not. Most 4 cylinder T-5s received a 3.97 gear set with a .79 overdrive and small input pilot bearing shaft. Four cylinder T-5's should not be used behind a V-8, even when the pilot bearing id is decreased to match. Simply put, they will not hold up. Torque rating ~240ft/lbs. Besides first gear is much too low to be usable
The "Z" Spec
In about 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best. The T-5z is a 93 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw shifter, steel front bearing retainer, and tapered output shaft bearing. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs. This T-5 can handle up to 450 hp if not drag raced.

This is from the states but same applies to Aussie T5s but at later dates.

Edited by nemo355v8, 28 December 2010 - 06:03 PM.

#39 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Unless i'm mistaken, wont the Fraud box need a special bellhousing due to the stupid lenght of the input shaft? Buying aftermarket Bellhousings is an expensive exercise!

Much easier.... simply fit the Fraud rear extension housing to your Commodore sourced T-5, then you have the correct bellhousing, the right input shaft length & the Holden clutch & flywheel assembly all bolt up nicely too!

Yes you have to change the bell housing but as this seems to be a popular option they are a common aftermarket housing, and I know this side of the ditch it seems to be easier/cheaper to get the Ford T5s so that works into the budget too. Remember that swapping to the Ford shifter will give you a different stick position again because of the (small I suppose in the scheme of things) difference in input shaft and bell housing length.

Nemo, Commodores had World Class T5s (V6 and V8) from VN onwards, ditched in favour of the Getrag mid VS
edit: I should be careful what I'm saying here - VN-VS are not exactly the same, they used a couple of different main housings:
Posted Image
but aside from that and little stuff like input shaft length and ratios all the Commodore ones were the same basic WC box. As above the Fords also used different shifters but I believe they are the same basic box also

Edited by 76lxhatch, 28 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#40 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

nemo355v8 ... thats an informative read.. i am tring to get my head round the whole t5 thing now am i wright in saying the best t5 is the one below?

..."In about 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best. The T-5z is a 93 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw shifter, steel front bearing retainer, and tapered output shaft bearing. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs. This T-5 can handle up to 450 hp if not drag raced."

DO THESE HAVE ID NUMBERS SO U KNOW WHAT U ARE GETTING?

i have looked at a few options now

we have the mal woods 7k complete in the car..

richmond super t10 2.5k will need every thing else ..both new you would asume no hidden problems..

t5 from either a ford..mmmm. or a commodore $300---$1500..plus everything else...secondhand may be hidden problems....

so far the t5 looks at it may be the one to look for..i am no a drag racer so 450hp gear box sound like the way..

i have a good budget for this but like most i want to save where i dont have to spend to get a good result

so lets have a couple of ideas on what setup you would use gearbox mod's clutch etc.....

MANY THANKS AGAIN TOM

Not all Borg Warner T-5's are the same. The first T-5 five speeds were introduced to market in 1982, in all things, a AMC Spirit/Concord. In 1983, T-5's were introduced to Mustangs and are currently still used in the V-6 Mustangs. The T-5 is the only American made standard transmission to span almost 20 years of production. Because of the large quantities of T-5's produced, many parts are interchangeable. There are now over 200 different T-5 transmission assembly part numbers and still counting.
There are two basic kinds of T-5's, Non World Class (NWC) and World Class (WC). In 1983 and 84 Ford used Non-World Class T-5 to improve performance and gas mileage at the same time. The NWC boxes had 2.95 first gear set with 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gears riding on a solid output shaft. The counter gears spin on straight cylindrical bearings with thrust washer in front. 3rd, 4th and 5th gears used solid bronze synchros. 1st and 2nd gears used fiber linings bonded to steel rings. Torque rating for the NWC was 265ft/lbs.
1985, Ford introduced the World Class T-5 installed with 3.35 first gear set. No longer were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears spinning on a solid output shaft. Needle bearings were installed under each gear to reduce drag. The lower counter gears saw tapered bearings. All main shaft synchros were fiber lined steel rings to improve ring surface area while 5th remains bronze. By improving the surface area, the synchro slows the gear faster making for smoother shifts. Torque rating remained the same at 265ft/lbs.
1990 to 1993 the stock Ford production V-8 WC T-5 was upgraded with stronger 3.35 gear set. The nickel content was increased to produce a harder, stronger gear. 2nd and 3rd gear ratios decrease slightly. Synchro linings on 3rd, 4th were improved by changing to carbon fiber to further improve shifting. Longer throw shifter was installed to "easier to shift". Torque rating jumped to 300ft/lbs.
When the 93 Cobra was introduced, so was the "Cobra Spec" T-5. It was the first T-5 with a front tapered output bearing and steel front bearing retainer. The Cobra boxes also received a reverse brake and synchro assembly where there was none before. Just about everything else remained the same. Torque rating was increased to 310ft/lbs.
1994 and 95 were the last two years Ford used the T-5 behind a V-8. In the SN95 Mustangs, the bell housing in both 3.8L and 5.0L was made longer to place the T-5 shifter in the correct location to the body. This in turn made the input shaft longer. The neutral safety switch was eliminated, as it was no longer needed. Everything else remained the same.
Today's V-6 Mustangs sports the last of the T-5s. The T-5 behind the 3.8L is a 3.35 first gear set with a .68 over drive. What makes these different from the rest is the electronic speedometer trigger. No longer is there a mechanical driven cable system. It has the longer input shaft equipped with a steel front bearing retainer and reverse synchro brake assembly. Torque rating is 300ft/lbs.
Ford also used the T-5 in 2.3L through the years. While the 4 cylinder T-5 may appear to be the same they are not. Most 4 cylinder T-5s received a 3.97 gear set with a .79 overdrive and small input pilot bearing shaft. Four cylinder T-5's should not be used behind a V-8, even when the pilot bearing id is decreased to match. Simply put, they will not hold up. Torque rating ~240ft/lbs. Besides first gear is much too low to be usable
The "Z" Spec
In about 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best. The T-5z is a 93 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw shifter, steel front bearing retainer, and tapered output shaft bearing. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs. This T-5 can handle up to 450 hp if not drag raced.

Edited by lxclone, 29 December 2010 - 09:52 AM.

#41 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

Yep the ford box need a different bellhousing, but the inout shaft is th same lenght as a aussie 4 speed.

Its the commy boxes that are longer in the input shaft and puts the shift to far back, and needs tunnel mods behind the shift to get the box high enough.

The falcon box is best suited to a torana as the shift sit in the same place as a aussie 4 speed.

#42 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

nemo355v8 ... thats an informative read.. i am tring to get my head round the whole t5 thing now am i wright in saying the best t5 is the one below?

..."In about 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best. The T-5z is a 93 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw shifter, steel front bearing retainer, and tapered output shaft bearing. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs. This T-5 can handle up to 450 hp if not drag raced."

richmond super t10 2.5k will need every thing else ..both new you would asume no hidden problems..

t5 from either a ford..mmmm. or a commodore $300---$1500..plus everything else...secondhand may be hidden problems....

so far the t5 looks at it may be the one to look for..i am no a drag racer so 450hp gear box sound like the way..

i have a good budget for this but like most i want to save where i dont have to spend to get a good result

so lets have a couple of ideas on what setup you would use gearbox mod's clutch etc.....

MANY THANKS AGAIN TOM

The "Z" Spec

http://www.summitrac...s/FMS-M-7003-Z/ this

http://www.jegs.com/...oductId=1343711 or even better this.

You wont find the Z box in any aus cars.
I use a standard falcon T5 behind my 355 making around 420 HP and drag race a fair bit, I have broken 1 box mostly from dropping the clutch to hard into 3rd on the drag strip, it stripped 3rd gear.

The ford box is the best one for a torana as the shift is in the same place as the aussie 4 speed, only mod needed to the floor is extend the shift hole a little.

My set up is, Holden flywheel and pressure plate Ford 10 inch clutch plate.
CRS bellhousing kit.
CRS Xmember
1994 Falcon T5
Shortened Falcon tailshaft, I run a 9 inch with a small uni yoke which is the same size uni as Falcons.

First box cost me $200 the one in the car now cost $300, and I have another I got for Free out of a paddock basher.

#43 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

MANY THANKS AGAIN TOM

The "Z" Spec

http://www.summitrac...s/FMS-M-7003-Z/ this

http://www.jegs.com/...oductId=1343711 or even better this.

You wont find the Z box in any aus cars.
I use a standard falcon T5 behind my 355 making around 420 HP and drag race a fair bit, I have broken 1 box mostly from dropping the clutch to hard into 3rd on the drag strip, it stripped 3rd gear.

The ford box is the best one for a torana as the shift is in the same place as the aussie 4 speed, only mod needed to the floor is extend the shift hole a little.

My set up is, Holden flywheel and pressure plate Ford 10 inch clutch plate.
CRS bellhousing kit.
CRS Xmember
1994 Falcon T5
Shortened Falcon tailshaft, I run a 9 inch with a small uni yoke which is the same size uni as Falcons.

First box cost me $200 the one in the car now cost $300, and I have another I got for Free out of a paddock basher.

thanks nemo

too good i think thats the way to go... now on the look out for the bits don't think i will be going any more than 450 hp in the near future..

#44 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

yes i have a turbo pattern makes things a bit simpler

so i can source a vr vs commodore t5 and the fraud extention housing and all will bolt up?

#45 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

yes i have a turbo pattern makes things a bit simpler

so i can source a vr vs commodore t5 and the fraud extention housing and all will bolt up?

The commodore box will bolt straght to you motor, But its the input shaft and bellhoushing that make the box longer not the rear extention.
You wouldnt be able to just change the rear extension if this was the problem, the whole main shaft would need to be change or it would stick out of the shorter extension

#46 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

http://www.rodshop.c.../bh/bh-086b.htm

http://www.rodshop.c...bh/bh-012t5.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item35ae402437

#47 _lxclone_

_lxclone_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

thanks nemo from your replys i guess your pretty keen on the t5

i thank you for your input

checking on freight as i wright will let u know

#48 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

You wouldnt be able to just change the rear extension if this was the problem, the whole main shaft would need to be change or it would stick out of the shorter extension

Wanna bet?

#49 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

thanks nemo from your replys i guess your pretty keen on the t5

i thank you for your input

checking on freight as i wright will let u know

Best bang for buck box around, double sychros on lower gears, needle rollers under the gears and a not to bad in strength.

And can be upgraded to handle 600 HP with a G Force kit for 1300 plus freight cant see why they aint more popular for conversions.

#50 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

feel like adding my 2 bob.
super t10, 400hp is on the limit. i know from first hand experinece, i have broken one twice, each time different problem.
yes they do handle alot of abuse but there is a limit.
they suffer from oiling issues.
to make them bullet proof you have to spent alot of money on them buying rollerized mainshafts, rem polishing and race syncros and hubs.
to buy a t5 that can handle power, you might as well not buy one for the price.
t56`s have there problems also which lead to self destruction.
value for money tremec tko is the way to go. i dont think its over kill for a 400hp engine, once most people have the taste for power they want more.
at the end of day you can break type of gearbox, (the driver has alot to do with this) so the major thing you must look for is parts availability
and can it some1 repair them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users