- - - - -

My LC GTR Project

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#76 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

New camera and App. Couldnt help myself!! Tomorrow goes in for brake and fuel lines, finish of clutch installation. Exhaust now completed. 2 1/2 inch system.

Attached Files

• Attached File  091.jpg   39.52K   22 downloads

Edited by Macka, 29 November 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#77 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

BEAUTIFUL car man. I got a 4 door in this exact colour and trim combination. Not many Meditteranian Blue's left (or ever built for that matter!), thanks for the inspration! and congratulations on your efforts.

#78 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thanks very happy with it. Nearly there. Yes you are right. I only know of 1 other in a 2 door and now 2 in 4 doors. I love the color and trim combo. I might be biased but I think it is one of the best.

#79 RBTORY

RBTORY

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:lj 2 door / RB30ET

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Fark that is one nice car macka, those wheels are grouse, cheers

#80 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Well done the car looks great,them wheels really suit it.They look a bit like sprint masters on steroids.

#81 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

Fark that is one nice car macka, those wheels are grouse, cheers

Well done the car looks great,them wheels really suit it.They look a bit like sprint masters on steroids.

Thanks fellas yes I am extremely happy with the wheels and similarity to Sprintmasters which was what l was trying to achieve. Also very glad l listened up to forum members advice and only went to 16's and not 17's like l was originally thinking.

#82 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Macca thats unreal, love the wheels and the stace too, top effort mate, awesome car.

#83 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

So l had this idea now that Silver/Chrome GTR Badges would look better than the standard red. So l mocked one up in silver. Remember l have wanted to keep the originality of the LC GTR in this build but it is not a nut and bolt exact restoration. Also it is only a badge so can actually change as l feel. However l think the silver looks better. Opinions please?

Attached Files

#84 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Love it like a fat kid loves cake

#85 RBTORY

RBTORY

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:lj 2 door / RB30ET

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Red does look good and stand out a bit

#86 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

i think the silver looks nice, kinda blends in with the car, the red badge tends to stand out more. But I don't think you can go wrong either way you go

#87 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

I absolutely love that colour.

Wheels look shit hot too!

#88 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

geee, i got to agree with those posts
i typically dont like late model wheels on older cars but that looks smooth
i prefer the silver badge

Nice work

#89 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Car:1971 Lc Torana S 2 Door

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Beautiful Lc Macka! I'm sure i'm not the only one who is getting ideas looking at those wheels...what is the ball park cost/layout of getting a set under a standard Lc and what parts did you end up using? feel free to pm me if you would rather keep it private.

Again lovely car!

#90 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Silver badges 100% for me!

#91 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

Beautiful Lc Macka! I'm sure i'm not the only one who is getting ideas looking at those wheels...what is the ball park cost/layout of getting a set under a standard Lc and what parts did you end up using? feel free to pm me if you would rather keep it private.

PM sent.

Again lovely car!

Silver badges 100% for me!

Thanks. Yep silver it will be. Now just working out how to paint the badges. Doing it with small brush is looking a bit rough and spraying doesn't seem option because l can't mask it up as to small.

#92 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

Paint the whole thing, then wipe the raised section and sides with some thinners on a rag :)

#93 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

use woodglue like a skin maybe?

Thanks. Yep silver it will be. Now just working out how to paint the badges. Doing it with small brush is looking a bit rough and spraying doesn't seem option because l can't mask it up as to small.

Really beautiful car mate, well done.

Edited by gstar, 14 December 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#94 _beige_lj_

_beige_lj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Lc looks fantastic!! Wheels suit it beautifully
Hopefully itll be on the road in no time now :)

#95 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Well not quite on the road yet. Had finally finished engine bay and most of those 5 minute jobs that seem to take ages. Had mate coming around tonight for first start up and didn't even turn it over. Appears the new starter motor is dead?? So had to take off the back webber again and remove the starter. Getting it looked at first thing in the morning and hopefully get it back in so he can come around tomorrow night start it up.

I am trying to get it ready for local car show on the 14th January. However l am going away on the 2nd January and won't be back until day before show so have to have everything ready before then. Fingers crossed l only have a few teething issues on start up.

Sadly it doesn't look like my door trims are going to arrive either. Sergio from Winner Products in SA is doing them. They have been working with a company in the USA to get the exact copy of the LC GTR chrome trim. They have had samples and finally signed it off but didn't arrive before xmas. If it is in when they get back from xmas on the 9th January they will put trims on that day and courier. Will see how it goes but have pretty much resigned to the fact that it is a pretty slim chance. Winner Products are great and would recommend them. This is not their fault.

Came across one problem today that l am not happy about. Never took much notice of the two holes in the drivers side door for the mirror until l went to put mirror on yesterday. The drivers door has been set up for an LJ mirror by previous owner. Now have to get those holes filled and that will then require the door to be repainted. Not happy.

Attached Files

• Attached File  109.jpg   36.54K   19 downloads
  • Attached File  110.jpg   45.31K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  111.jpg   58.42K   7 downloads
  • Attached File  112.jpg   29.33K   5 downloads

#96 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Id be putting an LJ mirror on there then instead of stripping a door for a re-spray and hope the colour matches...Or is it possible to fit the LC mirror to an LJ base?

Did you confirm 12v at the starter solenoid when key in START pos?

Edited by hanra, 28 December 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#97 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

Yes thought about that but it will look dodgey l think if I try and mock something up. That will annoy me every time l look at it. Yes will have to match paint up correctly but l have a good painter so hopefully that will be ok. Should be able to mask off above the GTR stripe and just paint that area and then clear the entire door.

Not sure what he checked but he did a couple of tests of ignition etc etc and got it to the starter. He is auto electrician so assume he knows what he is doing. He knew how much of a pain in the arse it is to remove starter with webbers and headers so wanted to be 100% sure before he told me to take it out. If it isn't l will be getting him to put back together!!!

#98 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

nice car mate, i reallly like it! and also, you must be the other guy getting trims by the same company... by sergio? i went in there couple of weeks back to see what was going on, as he is doing me a black- xu1 set. he told me then that he had got the chrome for them and it was peeling off so he said they will find the correct chroming before giving the trims back, which is quite excellent work because id hate to be 2 months down the track after paying big dollars for trims, only for the chrome to be peeling off. hopefully yours come out shmick, and good luck with the rest! :)

cheers Blake

#99 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Thanks Blake. Yes l also like the fact he won't put on trims that aren't up to standard just to get the deal done. The GTR trim is actually different to the XU1. The GTR has half in chrome and the other half is black. From my enquiries only one that has it at present is Dash Original and l won't use them. Long story. So Sergio jas been sourcing someone to make original replica for some time now.

#100 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Well it's on the road. 12months and 2 weeks since l bought it near Bathurst NSW. Got starter sorted and then had issues with new dizzy l bought of Ebay. Yes learnt my lesson on buying cheap chinese crap. Had absolutely no spark whatsoever. Grabbed the original Bosch one that came with the motor and sparks flying everywhere. Not shinny like the other one but nothing like quality original gear. Am going to get it regraphed anyway so they will clean and polish it up. Then had issues with thermo not coming on and overheated. All dash wiring is up the shit so didn't realize until water started coming out of overflow. Anyway sorted those issues out yesterday. Then drove it for first time to my startup man and he did a basic tune, changed some jets as they were far to big and adjusted the dizzy. So it is drivable now but need to take it easy he said. Will do final tune up on dyno when l get back from holidays and after car show.

For an unknown motor seems pretty healthy. Heaps of compression with the 149 ported head and torque is strong even just revving to 3000rpm. Supra gearbox which was also unknown quantity is smooth and feels great. My first ever Webbers driving experience and loved it. Very different to my HK Monaro with 383 Chev. Car has great sound with the 2 1/2 inch system and sounds very tough.

Only have one issue at present. Have a bit of an oil leak. Not sure exactly where it is coming from as haven't had time to trace it but l have a feeling it is the rear main seal. From my calculations of the car history the motor hasn't been running for around 6-8 years so am hoping that maybe it needs to soak up some oil in the seal but l am thinking that is wishful thinking. Not sure if anybody has had any success with putting a good quality stop leak in the motor?? Suppose it can't hurt to try if it keeps leaking. Really don't want to pull motor out but l took the risk of not pulling motor down when l got it so might pay the price.

Anyway will clean it all up tomorrow and post some final pics with badges, mirrors, wipers etc (less door trims).

Never built a car from scratch before so feels very rewarding to be on the road. Still have to sort out suspension and alignment also but now 95% there. Time for a beer!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users