StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

I cant recall how much difference in wheel/tyre width your legally allowed between fronts and rears?

It's all about track width - the measurement between the centre of your left tyre to the centre of your right tyre, front and rear have different track widths.

The RTA used to allow 1 inch increase in track width (probably still do). That is 12.5 mm per side not 1 inch per side.

If you're getting a diff made and you know the size tyres and wheel combo you can get it made to the right length to keep the track width legal.

As long as you don't exceed your track width by 25 mm and your tyres sit within the guards you should be alright.

a very few ( VP IRS and VQ Statesman only ). Good luck trying to find them.

The S and SS utes had 37P offset, I guess I was lucky I picked up a pair on ebay just before I had rear discs put on. I've got these on the front now. Didn't have the same luck when I was looking for another pair, I've got 43P on the rears.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 15 January 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#27 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

So Ford stud pattern is no good for toranas, but a FORD 9" diff is?

StephenSLR, a very few ( VP IRS and VQ Statesman only ) Commodore rims were +27. Good luck trying to find them.

he he
but you can't see that unless you bend down
and fyi au ford and on used a different offset so you cannot use pre au wheels on a au onwards anyway

I have been in the tyre industry for nearly 30 years, I don't need reminding that most XR - EL Falcons used either +6 or +19 while most AU on use something close to +36.5. FPV rears use +27.

StephenSLR, AFAIK only the VG utes had +37 offset factory rims.

#28 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

I cant recall how much difference in wheel/tyre width your legally allowed between fronts and rears?

It's all about track width - the measurement between the centre of your left tyre to the centre of your right tyre, front and rear have different track widths.

The RTA used to allow 1 inch increase in track width (probably still do). That is 12.5 mm per side not 1 inch per side.

If you're getting a diff made and you know the size tyres and wheel combo you can get it made to the right length to keep the track width legal.

As long as you don't exceed your track width by 25 mm and your tyres sit within the guards you should be alright.

The S and SS utes had 37P offset, I guess I was lucky I picked up a pair on ebay just before I had rear discs put on. I've got these on the front now. Didn't have the same luck when I was looking for another pair, I've got 43P on the rears.

s

12.5mm per side, thats nothing! also I have a 9" diff on there now and dont know 100% if its the same 1440mm length that the standard diff is?,I'll measure it up tomorrow and if it is factory length then the plan was going to be

REARS 15 x 8",4.5 " backspace and 225 x 60x15 tyres
FRONTS 15 x 6" , 3.5" Backspace and 195x60x15 tyres

I dunno? I dont think this will be within the legal limits though

Edited by 76S.L.R, 15 January 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#29 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Basically you will be 2.5" over track on the rear.

#30 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

s

12.5mm per side, thats nothing! also I have a 9" diff on there now and dont know 100% if its the same 1440mm length that the standard diff is?,I'll measure it up tomorrow and if it is factory length then the plan was going to be

REARS 15 x 8",4.5 " backspace and 225 x 60x15 tyres
FRONTS 15 x 6" , 3.5" Backspace and 195x60x15 tyres

I dunno? I dont think this will be within the legal limits though

think they changed it but 7" used to be the legal rim with in wa anyway

#31 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Arghhhhhhh!, Looks like I'll have to go with 7" on the rear then :sad:

#32 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

dunno m8t
like i said they where the old rules
check with dpi on the current regs

#33 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Its based on the factory weight of the car nowdays

#34 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

I'm quite sure, that in qld, you can go 1" over 'track', but you cant modify the original diff length. :dontknow:

#35 _LEE_

_LEE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

in qld I dont really beleive the laws matter and theres no point trying to follow them. cops have no clue what the rules are and if they dont like it they will fine you on a hunch and its too bloody hard to fight it. so you can do it the long, complicated, expensive, legal way and for all your trouble and attention to detail you will still wear a ticket if pulled over, just my 2 cents

#36 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

Ok guys,I was driving the Torana about today and went down a deserted back street and hit the brakes hard cause I recall having them lock up rears previously and yeh indeed the Rears lock up hard and she pulls to one side. Is this likely to be a Proportioning Valve issue or what??, can you even buy them nowdays??, Oh yeh its 9" diff with standard Torana Drums on too......

Also is it advisable to upgrade the Brake Booster/Master Cylinder when fitting the Hoppers kit or is it not needed??

Edited by 76S.L.R, 16 January 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#37 _LEE_

_LEE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Ok guys,I was driving the Torana about today and went down a deserted back street and hit the brakes hard cause I recall having them lock up rears previously and yeh indeed the Rears lock up hard and she pulls to one side. Is this likely to be a Proportioning Valve issue or what??, can you even buy them nowdays??.

Also is it advisable to upgrade the Brake Booster/Master Cylinder when fitting the Hoppers kit or is it not needed??

what master cylinder do you have? a 1 inch is recommended from memory, make sure if u get a new one it is a Disk/drum not a disk/disk. I didnt know there was a difference until i bought the wrong one and installed it. I could only find proportioning valves at the wreckers.

#38 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

in qld I dont really beleive the laws matter and theres no point trying to follow them. cops have no clue what the rules are and if they dont like it they will fine you on a hunch and its too bloody hard to fight it. so you can do it the long, complicated, expensive, legal way and for all your trouble and attention to detail you will still wear a ticket if pulled over, just my 2 cents

This is a new one, but with a few recent experiences i agree with you. Impossible to comply so why bother.

Cheers.

#39 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

Factory master is 1"
Master and booster will be fine

As for your lockup... unlikely its the prop
It could be anything on a gravel road , weight shift , suspension setup , tyre pressures... blah blah

Needs to be checked properly

#40 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Rears lock up hard and she pulls to one side.

If its pulling to one side before the rears lock then you have something to repair or rebuild before you even think about front/rear balance.

#41 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I've just ordered a 290mm brake kit from hoppers stoppers in commodore pattern.

I plan to fit walkinshaw 16x7 wheels... has anybody used their kit and fitted them successfully?

Apart from that do HSV 17 inch and above fit fine?

Also my car is a factory 6 cylinder. Will the standard booster and master cylinder be sufficient? Can you buy the factory V8 ones new still... what would the part number be for both?

#42 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Std will work
V8 double booster would give more assistance (no they haven't been available new for 30 yrs)
The masters are the same

Take the clearance sheet off their website and do some meausuremts for wheel clearance

Offset will be your issue.... plus the fact they are an ugly wheel

#43 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

Can't be any uglier then V5's etc

I plan on a set of convo pros in the near future, but getting it running is a priority for now!

#44 _LX77SL_

_LX77SL_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

I got the 290mm kit on the front of my car in commodore stud pattern seems to be fine to me but i havent really driven my car. But im not complaining so far, i also run 17s
cheers ayden

#45 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

Rears lock up hard and she pulls to one side.

If its pulling to one side before the rears lock then you have something to repair or rebuild before you even think about front/rear balance.

No, no :the rear wheels lock up hard and then she pulls to one side,like it pulls the rear to one side as the front brakes are less effective??

#46 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Fix front first

#47 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

I've just ordered a 290mm brake kit from hoppers stoppers in commodore pattern.

I plan to fit walkinshaw 16x7 wheels... has anybody used their kit and fitted them successfully?

unfortunately they sit in way too far and hit the calipers, just like most Simmonds wheels.

#48 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Yipee!, I recieved the Hopper Stoppers kit today= looks like a great kit ontop of that I got the upgraded Braided Hoses free of charge ,Hoppers are great!!!.

Hopefully it wont take too long to fit them up,im not a super mechanic though I usually get there in the end, after they are fitted up I'll take some measurements and try work out what backspace I need on the Weld wheels Im going to buy.

I was surprised at the sheer size of the Calipers in the kit compared to my crappy! standard Torana ones,I suspect these brakes will make a big difference compared to the way it is now?,its why I dont drive the LX much( those damn horrible brakes, its frightening)

Edited by 76S.L.R, 25 January 2011 - 07:32 PM.

#49 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

bastards wanted nearly $100 more for braided from me, was already $1490 including freight so i stuck with the rubber ones

#50 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Trying to fit the 290mm Hopper Stopper kit to the S.L.R today and the Rotor is not in the centre as it should be!,the inside nearly touches the Caliper Bracket and the outside has about 5mm clearance.

So the spacers provided must be too thick and have to be thinned down,what do I do ,get the spacers put in a lathe and machined down or do they have to be milled??? I was hoping it would just all bolt on.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users