Question bout the front end

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hey guys just wondering what the benefit of having the UC steering components in the front end of the LX?

Cheers.

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Its not really anything to do with the steering gear itself, rather the revised suspension setup known as RTS. Have a read of the pinned thread at the top of this section.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

In short, the UC top arms make it easier to dial in more positive castor. Whilst the UC rack may be better secured than the LH/LX, bronze rack mount bushes will things even better for either front end.

#4 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

Oh yeh thanks Chopper. So I can retain the LX rack, LX upper control arms (or should I replace with the UC arms?), A9X stubs from Harrop, new upgraded bushes, shocks, springs, and now those bronze rack mount bushes. I should have a decent set up with this?

Thanks Chopper. Without sounding stupid, what is castor and what is the importance of it in reference to street use?

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

You don't need A9X stubs from Harrop. Just get late HX, HZ or WB 1-tonner (or even normal ones) examples. All you want from Harrop is A9X steering arms. I'd use UC upper arms and either UC rack or LX rack with metal "rubbers" like A9X.

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Use UC steering arms with UC rack.
Use LH/LX steering arms with LH/LX rack.

More positive castor assists cornering slightly, but mainly helps straight line stability. It also makes the steering heavier.

Bronze rack mount bushes are made by you on your lathe.

Before we tackle the stub axle question, what brakes do you or are you going to use?

#7 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

I plan to run 290 mm Commodore (VB-VP) disc on rear and 330 mm disc on front with Commodore stud patterns front and rear.

Ok I see, UC upper arms on my LX rack with LX steer arms (A9X style) with Bronze milled bushes?

#8 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

READ the STICKY
Either all LX ..... under steer heaven

or all UC .....not too bad

or if you have the money and want serious improvement in brakes and handling

UC up control arms HQ type stub axles and discs and Harrop reproduction A9X steering arms

#9 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

READ the STICKY

UC up control arms HQ type stub axles and discs and Harrop reproduction A9X steering arms

Well thats my question why do I have to have the HQ stub axles, only to get them redrilled in Commodore stud pattern to run the bigger Commodore brakes?

#10 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

If you buy a front brake upgrade designed for Torana you don't need to swap the stub axles

#11 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hey guys just wondering what the benefit of having the UC steering components in the front end of the LX?

Cheers.

READ the STICKY

Well thats my question why do I have to have the HQ stub axles, only to get them redrilled in Commodore stud pattern to run the bigger Commodore brakes?

No your question was about UC steering components no mention was made about brakes hence answers were with regard to suspension.

and to be a real smart arse you do not re-drill stub axles you fit hubs to them with the stud pattern you want and setup to take the disk and calipers you want, or disk hubs like the standard setupsPosted Image

#12 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I plan to run 290 mm Commodore (VB-VP) disc on rear and 330 mm disc on front with Commodore stud patterns front and rear.

Ok I see, UC upper arms on my LX rack with LX steer arms (A9X style) with Bronze milled bushes?

Since you won't be using HQ type front brakes, use the Torana stub axles. LX steering arms are NOT the same as A9X steering arms. A9X arms are only needed if you use HQ stubs, which you won't be needing.

#13 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:55 AM

No your question was about UC steering components no mention was made about brakes hence answers were with regard to suspension.

and to be a real smart arse you do not re-drill stub axles you fit hubs to them with the stud pattern you want and setup to take the disk and calipers you want, or disk hubs like the standard setupsPosted Image

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but just before your first post, I asked what setup to use with my brake, which was a reply to Choppers question.

Thank you for clearing that up for me anyways mate.

Ok then Chopper thanks for your advice.

PS I did read the sticky and could not find the information I wanted or understood.

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:32 AM

Out of interest, how much are the Harrop replica A9X steering arms? Are A9X arms close to L34 arms?

#15 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but just before your first post, I asked what setup to use with my brake, which was a reply to Choppers question.

Thank you for clearing that up for me anyways mate.

Ok then Chopper thanks for your advice.

PS I did read the sticky and could not find the information I wanted or understood.

OK fair enough

given all the information

LH, LX setup with big brakes = under-steer heaven but will stop well

Complete UC front end with big brakes = better handling and stopping

But the best combonation is A9X which is LH, LX with UC upper control arm and HQ type stubs with Harrop Replicar A9X steering arms and your big brake combination even better handling (the best you can get without modified or custom parts) and stronger for circuit work / racing

really the answer is what do you want to do with the car, the A9X setup is the way to go if you have the money Harrop steering arms are not cheap $400 a pair approx and intend to drive the car around corners and expecting any sort of handling this would be my recomendation

However if drag racing is your scene then handling doesn't matter at all

the suspension parts is for handling and not necessary for brake upgrades

#16 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

$400 a pair is really chicken feed if you are trying to set a car up properly, if it was me setting up an LH-LX with all new brakes, suspension etc i'd be going that way. Having said that, my old LX hatchback had a full UC front end with HZ stubs and calipers and A9X diff. It used UC steering arms and handled and drove awesome, the only thing i've ever driven that comes close as an out of the box setup (go-karts aside) is my V2 CV8. By out of the box I mean basically a factory setup, my LX had quality hydraulic shocks and near stock ride height springs. The only really improved bits were the aftermarket sway bars, but it was running 245/50/14 fronts and 265/50/14 rears (still a far cry from the 235/40/18's on the CV8 though!).

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

I thought we all agreed in the other threads that the KPI of the Torana stub axle was best suited to the Torana and that the HQ stub restricted alignment settings somewhat...

#18 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

^ Just means more negative camber so it will handle really well if you throw it around, and chew out front tyres quickly. Being closer to standard ride height would help a lot though, with the little short arms in the Toranas lowering them much brings on lots of negative camber - I know of a car that is too low at the front and still has something like 3 degrees negative with no adjusting shims at all (and that's with Torana KPI)

edit: I had the top arm off the ute the other day because it needed new bushes and was looking at the length of it compared to a Torana one, I wonder if anyone has ever tried using a full sized Holden arm on a Torana...?

Edited by 76lxhatch, 11 January 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

FROM THE RTS THREAD:

The only way I know to measure which stub is a 7 degree KPI and which is a 9 degree is to put a torana stub on my test rig and note the camber setting, then swap over to the other stub and recheck the camber - if you have 2 degrees more negative camber then you have swapped to a 7 degree stub - the difference is too subtle to measure any other way that I know of.

The HX stubs I have here came out of a statesman and look exactly the same as the pics of those A9X ones except they don't have any of the same numbers cast into them, just the word holden and a few numbers cast in them but in different spots to the A9X and they don;t have the part numbers on them either.
Torana are definately 9 degree KPI and the H series 7.
All the A9X guys on here tell me the A9X is also 7 degree KPI but I don't have any to measure so I take their word (and the fact they share part numbers with the 1 tonner).

You may well run into trouble trying to use 7 degree stubs getting your alignment right - depends how low your car is and how much camber you want to run. I currently use HZ stubs on my LX and I am running 0.5 neg camber, 2.8 positive castor - I can just achieve those settings with not too much to play with. My front springs are std height so the front is lowered just the 30mm difference in the stub itself. If I went more than about 10mm lower in the spring, I would have no choice but to run another 0.25 or 0.5 degree negative camber which is what the A9X's ran from memory.

If you can get your front end aligned correctly for how you want, then all things being equal, I would choose a 7 degree stub as you don't lose as much neg camber as your front wheels turn. The difference is subtle and a little bit more positive castor would offset the effect but then you get heavier steering.

Since I plan to use tubular control arms and I can make them long enough to set my camber and castor where I want it, I have just ordered a set of CRS 2" drop HR stubs for my final setup which uses the 7 degree KPI.

M@

I spose it depends how low you go, bearing in mind that the HQ stub is inherently lower than the Torana stub.

#20 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

I find it hard to believe that tonners use a different KPI to all other HQ-WB. Particularly when very early 1-tonners didn't actually use a different stub to other HQ's. As far as I know the only difference is the heat treatment to make them stronger. Just like tonners used bigger axles than other salisbury diffs (for strength).

#21 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I find it hard to believe that tonners use a different KPI to all other HQ-WB. Particularly when very early 1-tonners didn't actually use a different stub to other HQ's. As far as I know the only difference is the heat treatment to make them stronger. Just like tonners used bigger axles than other salisbury diffs (for strength).

Correct about the KPI angle HQ to WB was the same part, but as the molds wore out a new part number was issued the only change made was to the tonners which were heat treated
the A9X has the best bump steer characteristics but use standard height springs as car will be roughly 100mm off the ground with the car being lowered by HQ stubs Mine the bottom of subframe was 100, on the money just legal
use lower spring to much camber and illegal anyway

#22 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I find it hard to believe that tonners use a different KPI to all other HQ-WB.

All the info here and elsewhere says that they are not different...? i.e. all HQ-WB (including HX tonner and A9X Torana) 7 degrees, all Torana (except those with HQ style stubs) 9 degrees

I spose it depends how low you go, bearing in mind that the HQ stub is inherently lower than the Torana stub.

Yeah I guess when I spoke about height I should really have said ball joint height or arm angle

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Yes, correct. I misread the post!

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

Out of interest, how much are the Harrop replica A9X steering arms? Are A9X arms close to L34 arms?

About $350 new a pair. Somebody posted images of all 3 steering arms ( LH, UC and A9X ) some time ago. The difference is quite noticeable by eye.

#25 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

Somebody posted images of all 3 steering arms ( LH, UC and A9X ) some time ago.

RoryM from memory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users