Question bout the front end

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

Just when you thought you had it all sussed out lol

Datto recommended to me to use Mackay Neothane bushes these are the guys who supply ford Australia and that is what I have just fitted to my F#$D I assume they would do bushes for Torana

also MOG ball joints come highly recommended

as for stud pattern personally I would stick to HQ however if you have already got MAGS or know that you can get the offset you want at the moment I think floats might be the go

#52 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

I'd do the rear springs LAST. just use your old STD rears , see how is looks, then you can see if you want go lower / same height or even higher.

The rear springs are easy to change. That way you can the springs to suit - 1st time round.

#53 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Datto recommended to me to use Mackay Neothane bushes these are the guys who supply ford Australia and that is what I have just fitted to my F#$D I assume they would do bushes for Torana

as for stud pattern personally I would stick to HQ however if you have already got MAGS or know that you can get the offset you want at the moment I think floats might be the go

Well I just thought it would have been easier to get 17inch mags for commodore pattern than HQ??

In light of this I may just chuck the HQ pattern front and rear with 290 mm kit down back, 330 mm kit up front, still going to retain the Commodore V8 DD booster/cylinder though.

Thanks again cruiza and 76lxhatch.

#54 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

According to The Baron in this thread Pedders sell a better quality rubber bush than the Mackay bush.

Apparently the crush tube in the Mackay bush is rolled from a piece of plate steel. The crush tube in the Pedders bush is a seamless tube.

The Rare Spares bushes also appear to use a seamless tube. Picture from this thread.

This is an original bush cut open.
Posted Image

This is the Rare Spares catalog photo.
Posted Image

I have used SuperPro bushes in my hatch for around 20 yrs.

#55 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

According to The Baron in this thread Pedders sell a better quality rubber bush than the Mackay bush.

Apparently the crush tube in the Mackay bush is rolled from a piece of plate steel. The crush tube in the Pedders bush is a seamless tube.

The Rare Spares bushes also appear to use a seamless tube. Picture from this thread.

Posted Image

This is the Rare Spares catalog photo.
Posted Image

I have used SuperPro bushes in my hatch for around 20 yrs.

So you would recommend SuperPro, Pedders over the Mackay Bushes.

#56 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

I had Neoathane bushes in mine for 20 years and never needed to replace any of them went had to rebuild my koni shocks a few times

I say this as need to be aware that what was a good quality product twenty years ago is rubbish now

#57 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yeh cruiza understand mate, after reading the numerous threads on Nolathane problems, I don't think I would get them.

#58 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Well I just thought it would have been easier to get 17inch mags for commodore pattern than HQ??

Possibly true but the offset won't suit

Interesting, I have a lot of old bushes that I would say are original and many of them have the rolled plate (i.e. with the join/gap) style inner tube. I can't recall which goes where right now but normally there is specific combination of both types (thick steel tube and thin rolled plate with serrated ends) on a single vehicle

#59 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

In light of this I may just chuck the HQ pattern front and rear with 290 mm kit down back, 330 mm kit up front, still going to retain the Commodore V8 DD booster/cylinder though.

Thanks again cruiza and 76lxhatch.

Personally, I would use AU on ( 1999 - present ) Falcon stud pattern. They use 1/2" UNF studs which are vurtually unbreakable if some brains are used. Secondly it gives you a much wider option as far as rims go, simply because many more vehicles use Ford stud pattern than HQ and Commodre put together. Thirdly, the offset is very similar to Torana. AU offset is +36.5, Torana is +32. Add the ( probable ) extra track width with a brake conversion and the track will be virtually the same.

Using Ford stud pattern will also save you money. You won't need to buy HQ stubs and Harrop steering arms, saving you nearly $400. If you're not after race type brakes, use a Hoppers kit on the front and standard Ford rear disc setup if you're going to use a Borg Warner or 9" diff.

#60 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

Personally, I would use AU on ( 1999 - present ) Falcon stud pattern. They use 1/2" UNF studs which are vurtually unbreakable if some brains are used. Secondly it gives you a much wider option as far as rims go, simply because many more vehicles use Ford stud pattern than HQ and Commodre put together. Thirdly, the offset is very similar to Torana. AU offset is +36.5, Torana is +32. Add the ( probable ) extra track width with a brake conversion and the track will be virtually the same.

Using Ford stud pattern will also save you money. You won't need to buy HQ stubs and Harrop steering arms, saving you nearly $400. If you're not after race type brakes, use a Hoppers kit on the front and standard Ford rear disc setup if you're going to use a Borg Warner or 9" diff.

And while you're at it, stick a Windsor and a Toploader in it. :stirpot:

Edited by rodomo, 13 January 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#61 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

So you would recommend SuperPro, Pedders over the Mackay Bushes.

I have fitted SuperPro bushes all round for my latest build.

If using rubber then I would prefer a seamless tube vs a rolled tube although it probably does not make any difference.

There are quite a few Torana's running Ford pattern for the above reasons.

#62 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Great thanks for just undermining everything I have read in this thread lol. So the AU hubs dont fit on the front HQ stub?

As per brakes, I wanted decent sized brakes till fill the void of the 17 inch rims.

How would you do/adapt this?

#63 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

And while you're at it, stick a Windsor and a Toploader in it. :stirpot:

I've seen plenty of Toploaders in Holdens over the years Rob.

LX Torry Freak, Au front discs don't bolt straight onto Torana or HQ stubs. A Hoppers 290mm kit ordered with Ford stud pattern should do the job.

#64 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

I see, so I can still do the aforementioned upgrades to my Torana but instead of Commodore stud pattern get the Ford stud pattern. Is that correct?

#65 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Absolutely!

#66 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Awesome, well thanks heaps Chopper for pointing me in the direction of the Ford stud pattern. Top job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users