• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

No I think it was LS2lxhatch?

Or was it M@?

I find it hard to believe that tonners use a different KPI to all other HQ-WB. Particularly when very early 1-tonners didn't actually use a different stub to other HQ's. As far as I know the only difference is the heat treatment to make them stronger. Just like tonners used bigger axles than other salisbury diffs (for strength).

Correct about the KPI angle HQ to WB was the same part, but as the molds wore out a new part number was issued the only change made was to the tonners which were heat treated
the A9X has the best bump steer characteristics but use standard height springs as car will be roughly 100mm off the ground with the car being lowered by HQ stubs Mine the bottom of subframe was 100, on the money just legal
use lower spring to much camber and illegal anyway

Ok so with the HQ stubs in, I am putting Lovells springs in, to keep it legal, just ordering sports would be correct? I cannot get the sport lows?

#27 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

Rorym, Dangerous and slr5640 have posted pictures steering arms and stub axles.

I have collected the photos and other suspension information onto this page..

#28 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=46368

edit: a bit slow!

Edited by 76lxhatch, 12 January 2011 - 05:51 AM.

#29 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

I find it hard to believe that tonners use a different KPI to all other HQ-WB. Particularly when very early 1-tonners didn't actually use a different stub to other HQ's. As far as I know the only difference is the heat treatment to make them stronger. Just like tonners used bigger axles than other salisbury diffs (for strength).

Correct about the KPI angle HQ to WB was the same part, but as the molds wore out a new part number was issued the only change made was to the tonners which were heat treated
the A9X has the best bump steer characteristics but use standard height springs as car will be roughly 100mm off the ground with the car being lowered by HQ stubs Mine the bottom of subframe was 100, on the money just legal
use lower spring to much camber and illegal anyway

As discussed in another thread, I believe the change in part number isn't anything to do with a mould wearing out. It is due to the change in calipers mid HX. I still have to grab a HQ-HJ stub and put next to a HZ-WB stub and take a picture of the difference.

Out of interest, how much are the Harrop replica A9X steering arms? Are A9X arms close to L34 arms?

About $350 new a pair. Somebody posted images of all 3 steering arms ( LH, UC and A9X ) some time ago. The difference is quite noticeable by eye.

Chopper, $350 a pair is not that bad at all!

#30 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

Hi Yel327

Parts guy at GMH told me the reason for the number change was molds wearing out, as there were several part number changes of the life of the HQ- WB and not just the two or three variations I would tend to agree with what I was told

Thinking about it I would suggest (don't know for a fact)

Standard HQ to WB disc braked stub axle PBR caliper Part NO xyz

Standard HQ to WB disc braked stub axle Gillock caliper Part NO ZYX

Drum braked Stub axle Part NO Dumb arse

One Tonner heat treated caliper ( may not have different part number as heat treatment post casting ???) Part NO XYZ

There was NO difference between RTS and Non- RTS stub axles, at least that I know of

Gillock or PBR calipers were fitted at the same time ie to HQ and depended on where manufactured and what was in stock from suppliers at the time or at least this is what I have been led to believe maybe someone can correct me on this

#31 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hey ls2lxhatch, thank you for your input, you have done extremely well on that site, very informative. A question, it would make more sense to mount the UC LCA if you were to mount the UC UCA?

I know it said that the physical dimensions are the same, bar the thickness of the material. But the holes are different sizes allowing for more shock absorber access etc. It would make sense to me.

#32 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

You beat me to it well done, I have done this about three time each time adding more and more info and was planning on a summary of whats what and how do mod your front end and different levels of modification, I notice you have left out lovels spring and sway bar option which is what I used on my car as they too do a bathurst style mounting system

but yeah well done

#33 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

Hey cruiza, what Lovells springs did you use in your Torry? Thanks.

#34 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

There is no reason why you can not enlarge the hole in the LX LCA to the same size as the hole in the UC LCA. I guess it depends on which shocks you plan to use. The larger hole does make it easier to use an internal springs compressor.

If you are using UC steering arms then I would want the UC LCA with the steering arm stops. However if you are also fitting the K-MAC front mount adjustable swaybar then you have to remove the steering arm stops from the UC LCA.

The Harrop arms do not have the steering stop like the factory arms so it probably does not matter with LCA you use.

#35 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

I am going to use the A9X replica arms. So with that info, I will just retain the LX LCA then in this case.

#36 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Gillock or PBR calipers were fitted at the same time ie to HQ and depended on where manufactured and what was in stock from suppliers at the time or at least this is what I have been led to believe maybe someone can correct me on this

There are at least four different types calipers used HQ-WB, plus of course the early four wheel drum models

#37 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hey cruiza, what Lovells springs did you use in your Torry? Thanks.

Hi Torry Freak
used standard height Lovels front and rear standard LX rear sway bar and front mounted (bathurst style) Lovel front bar at the time a heavier rear spring was an option for those with drop tanks which I didnt have

Even so you can see how low the front sat relative to the rear due to the drop achieved with the HQ stubs

Posted Image

#38 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hi Yel327

Parts guy at GMH told me the reason for the number change was molds wearing out, as there were several part number changes of the life of the HQ- WB and not just the two or three variations I would tend to agree with what I was told

Thinking about it I would suggest (don't know for a fact)

Standard HQ to WB disc braked stub axle PBR caliper Part NO xyz

Standard HQ to WB disc braked stub axle Gillock caliper Part NO ZYX

Drum braked Stub axle Part NO Dumb arse

One Tonner heat treated caliper ( may not have different part number as heat treatment post casting ???) Part NO XYZ

There was NO difference between RTS and Non- RTS stub axles, at least that I know of

I did post this up in another thread, but they go like this (from memory):

HK-HJ drum brake except 1-ton (or to whenever drum brakes stopped being used, I think it was late HJ);
HK-mid HX disc brake except 1-ton;
HQ-HJ drum brake tonner;
HQ-mid HX disc brake tonner (used on L34);
Mid HX-WB disc brake;
Mid HX-WB disc brake tonner (used on A9X).

The description in the HX catalogue where the stubs change is based upon calipers. The later stub was used with the combination cast iron and alloy calipers. The earlier stubs were used with (discussing HQ on only) cast iron PBR and Girlock.

From memory the HQ-HJ disc brake stubs were one of the few items where the LH side one was an even part number, this was because they originated on the RH side in the HK series. Or something like that!

#39 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi Torry Freak
used standard height Lovels front and rear standard LX rear sway bar and front mounted (bathurst style) Lovel front bar at the time a heavier rear spring was an option for those with drop tanks which I didnt have

Even so you can see how low the front sat relative to the rear due to the drop achieved with the HQ stubs

Posted Image

Oh yeah I see. I was planning to run the Whiteline sway bars front and rear, the non adjustable type, shouldn't be an issue with clearance.

So like that the Torry looks like it has the aggressive stance, (lower front than back) I am going to have a Brown Davis droptank so will I need to put heavier spring in rear? Or Lovells standard height will be sufficient as the weight in the rear with the tank will bring it near level?

#40 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

A lowered spring will be heavier duty anyway, drop tank won't bring it down noticeably (especially if you can't afford to fill it!)

#41 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

A lowered spring will be heavier duty anyway, drop tank won't bring it down noticeably (especially if you can't afford to fill it!)

The HQ stub is one inch lower than Torana's I believe? So if I got a spring from lovells for standard height on rear, that will suffice, sport lows might be too low?

I can afford to fill it no worries, I'd be more worried about insurance than fuel cost lol.

#42 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Huh? Stub axles go on the front, drop tank is at the back of the car...

#43 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

My point is, if the HQ stub is one inch lower, and I got sport lows (lets say that they drop the rear 1.5 inch) the rear would be lower than the front. Which is why I was asking I might be better off just getting the Standards, as I don't know how much the sport lows drops the car, especially with a full tank of fuel/full rear of people.

Didn't mean to confuse.

#44 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

I believe the heavy duty rear spring for the drop tank was for a 120 litre drop tank and given most drop tank I have seen over here are only 70 litres and even then struggling to be legal perhaps not required no doubt a phone call to the manufacturer of what ever spring you want will be able to tell you what they have and what it is intended for

#45 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

My point is, if the HQ stub is one inch lower, and I got sport lows (lets say that they drop the rear 1.5 inch) the rear would be lower than the front. Which is why I was asking I might be better off just getting the Standards, as I don't know how much the sport lows drops the car, especially with a full tank of fuel/full rear of people.

Didn't mean to confuse.

Ah ok, I think that if you lower the front at all then you should put lower springs in the back as well - it won't end up lower than the front. I'm a fan of somewhere around what King Springs call "low" (i.e. not super low or ultra low etc), normally around a 1 inch drop which will still give enough clearance and maintain some ride quality (these will be heavier springs though as required with less travel). Remember also that with flares you'll generally end up with bigger tyres on the back which will also be bigger diameter so you this will add extra rake which you want to dial out a bit.

#46 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

I believe the heavy duty rear spring for the drop tank was for a 120 litre drop tank and given most drop tank I have seen over here are only 70 litres and even then struggling to be legal perhaps not required no doubt a phone call to the manufacturer of what ever spring you want will be able to tell you what they have and what it is intended for

Yeah that was what I was bout to say, I don't think many people opt for the full 120 L anymore. Just for driveability and boot space I presume. Yeah when the time comes, in 3-4 weeks after the floods here in Maryborough are over I can finall begin working on the Torana... Again.

#47 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

Ah ok, I think that if you lower the front at all then you should put lower springs in the back as well - it won't end up lower than the front. I'm a fan of somewhere around what King Springs call "low" (i.e. not super low or ultra low etc), normally around a 1 inch drop which will still give enough clearance and maintain some ride quality (these will be heavier springs though as required with less travel). Remember also that with flares you'll generally end up with bigger tyres on the back which will also be bigger diameter so you this will add extra rake which you want to dial out a bit.

Of course I forgot about the larger wheels. I love the look of the Lovells Sport Lows, I was just interested to know whether that would drop it too far. But you nailed it, bigger wheels and rake, no problem.

Thank you very much to Cruiza, ls2lxhatch, 76lxhatch and any others I forgot to mention for assisting me in this. I appreciate it.

So to summarise, for optimum steering and suspension benefits, UC UCA, LX LCA, A9X Steering arms, HQ (tonner or normal) stubs, Commodore pattern hubs on front, Commodore pattern on rear for disc brakes on 9 inch diff, Koni shocks, Lovells Standards on front, Sports Low on rear, 330 mm Brake up front with twin piston calipers, 290 on rear with single/twin piston calipers controlled by a DD V8 VB-VS booster and master cylinder, all held firmly in place with Superpro bushes.

Once again thank you all, this sounds like its going to be a killer set up and look awesome, look for my build in coming weeks.

#48 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Some members have posted that they have had issues with poly urethane suspension bushes crumbling. Just keep that in mind.

#49 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

Some members have posted that they have had issues with poly urethane suspension bushes crumbling. Just keep that in mind.

Ok thanks Chopper, I was under the impression that Nolathane and the likes have been, but SuperPro have been still going strong... Or so I'm lead to believe.

Thank you for your advice in this thread too Chopper. Appreciate it.

#50 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

Why do you want to go Commodore stud pattern? Will be hard to get wheels in the correct offset, I'd suggest just using bigger studs with HQ pattern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users