78 replies to this topic

#51 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Response from seller when I advised the Rare Spares link:

Well their price has come down quite a lot it used to be $240. We are only a small business so we can not compete with Rare Spares in price. If you are interested in buying this and other panels from us let me know what ones you are after and we are more than happy to offer discounts on price and delivery on combined orders.

Just something else to look at if you are going to get a Rear Spares one, unless they have changed them they are not a very good fit. As far as I know the Rare Spares one is staight and are only made out of 0.9mm steel. Ours are made from 1.2mm same as they were from factory and have the curve in them so they are a great fit. I am not sure if they have rectified the problem with them or not as I have not heard any reports on them of late so they may be be better now.

Edited by hanra, 21 February 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#52 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

...As far as I know the Rare Spares one is staight... Ours are made from 1.2mm same as they were from factory and have the curve in them so they are a great fit. I am not sure if they have rectified the problem with them or not as I have not heard any reports on them of late so they may be be better now.

That seems to be true and where my RSP one bit me - it is straight and I now can't attach the bottom of the nose cone to the panel unless maybe I pack it out with a spacer - FYI.

Cheers, TB

#53 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yes well interesting that. The piece of crap that is fitted to my car is just a straight bar...... which I would have to weld mounting points onto it for the lower nose.

#54 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I thought the Ausie restos one was a Rares Spares one, the pictures look very similar.
Question for anyone who's fitted one, I see some extra metal above the top spotwelds where it can be welded into place on each side but the sides look like there is no extra metal on the backing bit to weld it in. the way I see it it wouldn't look like original on the sides.

#55 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

interesting to hear, i hope my rares one that i bought fits ok.. i haven't done any fabrications before or welding... comparing the section and whats there now seems ok.. but will see when i cut it out. i am a little scared to cut it out because i dont want to cut to much. any tips??

#56 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I emailed Rares down in Christchurch a couple of weeks ago & they replied:

"Hi Jason,

Thanks for the heads up.....we have had a look at the 2824762 pricing & found that Rare Spares have reduced the price without us knowing (this happens occasionally). The original pricing is from when these were released last year as a new product & the update glitch in the system only being picked up this year.

The current new price is $236.30 inc gst. Is that better?

We have one on order (for stock replacing one sold) & this will be here in our weekly air freight shipment from Aussie on Monday"

Just got mine today, sweet! I've checked and it's got the dip in it as queried in past posts so should be all good. They've since updated their pricing so anyone in NZ will get the same comparative price as in Oz if anyone over here is interested. :D

#57 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Been playing around with my rares one I payed 160 for with delivery.
Looks like I be buying the one from
Aussie restos now because fitment is a joke.
( you can see pics in my thread) total
Cost 440 :) Might sell my other one to someone that has the skill to modify it.

#58 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Looking at your pictures the top looks to be straight where the original has the dip in it. I thought it was mentioned before that the new Rares ones had the dip and fitted correclty. This means the whole support sits lower which of course is no good. You could mount it higher in the correct spot but would have to shorten the bonnet catch leg.

#59 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

i thought that as well, i bought mine last month but it was straight.
i tried doing that and then you cant fit the nose cone over it. i think i am just going have to suck it up and spend the 300 inc postage and get the one from aussie restos.
do you know if the aussie restos fits well?
cheers

Posted Image

#60 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

also just checked the rares website and there back to $314 inc gst i recon they dropped it to 150 to sell all there straight ones and back to normal price for the dip ones... :)

#61 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

also just checked the rares website and there back to $314 inc gst i recon they dropped it to 150 to sell all there straight ones and back to normal price for the dip ones... :)

You might be right I think. No idea who's fits best as I'm still to get one. You might try Retro Rods who were mentrioned on here. They are around $230 I think and by all reports his stuff is pretty good, I'll probably get mine of him.

#62 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Retro Rods are stockists of Rarespares.

If you've got some sheetmetal working gear, I can send you the dimensions you can make 99% of it yourself.

hey liam, just seeing if you could send me the dimensions of the rad support might see if a local sheet metal place can fab it up for me, cant seem to get a good one.
might just be my car.. if you can send it would be much appreciated. cheers
[email protected]

#63 _baddad_

_baddad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

hi liam, could send me the dimensions of the rad support as having the same problem getting one to fit much appreciated. cheers
[email protected]

thanks

#64 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

hey david have you bought one? if so interested to know witch one you got. and how it compares to mine..

#65 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Email sent for Both.

#66 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

cheers mate, so you make and weld the back part in first then weld the front section in?

#67 _baddad_

_baddad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi Nick

Borrowed one from a person who has just down up a car. He got his form some place in Queensland. DId not fit his and would not fit mine. he ended up using a rectangle piece of tube modified to fit.

Thanks for the email Liam. WIll help

#68 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

By all means don't feel obliged to put the same shape in. I wish I didn't because it's a water trap through and through. As long as the nose cone can bolt on. :) No worries anyway. And Nick, yes that's correct.

#69 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Can some one please advise the length of the dip in the middle lower part of the rad support panel? Basically how far down towards the ground does it hang from the horizontal section of the panel? If you can under stand what Im on about.....!!!!!

#70 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Can some one please advise the length of the dip in the middle lower part of the rad support panel? Basically how far down towards the ground does it hang from the horizontal section of the panel? If you can under stand what Im on about.....!!!!!

With a straight edge sitting on top of the support the gap in the middle is 20mm, this is on my rusty original support.

#71 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Awesome help Brett. Thanks for that mate!

#72 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

This is what I was on about for those that think Im nutty...

Posted Image

#73 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Not quite what I measured. I measured the vertical green line.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dip.jpg   27.93K   3 downloads

#74 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Ahhhhh... ooo lucky I put that pic up then!!

Can you give a measurement for the lower one that I indicated? How far down does it hang?

#75 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

The original is a different shape but from the bottom of the support to where the nose cone bolts on is 15mm, and if you measure from the top it's 70mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users