Brock A9X on track at Bathurst this weekend

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

Cheers for the comments,
I just need to point out that if we had of "played" with the 79 we would not have had the issue we had in 2004. If you look at it you will see the livery and drive line is as when it finished racing, not the same as after Bathurst, but from NZ and Tasmania in December 79/ January 1980. We have kept it as untouched as possible from how we received it, bar changing the fuel, oil, tyres and brake fluid. the only change I can see us making with the car in the future would be having some Jong Bloods fitted.

The 78 has had a little bit more work done on her, mainly as we use it quite a bit. Our aim was for it to be as nice to drive as she was back in the day. Basically the 79 car was the benchmark and now it is as good as that.

We are on our way now to the mountain, hope to see a few of you out there.

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks Dan that explains why the 3.36 ratio mistake was made in the 2004 comparison. Shame as no Torana should be beaten by a boring dunnydore. Be nice if we can correctly identify the full specs of the tyres used by the 78 and 79 teams. Going over the tapes it would seem during the race they kept pretty close to 6000rpm down conrod, while using 6500rpm during the Hardies Hero's shootout.

#27 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Just something else from that lap too, and Dan could confirm exactly what broke, but that engine was a bit sad before the comparison lap, and very sad afterwards. Look at the fluid leaking from the car in front of the drivers front wheel. I think Chris told me it broke a rocker or two?
Anyway just to expand on what Dan said about the cars.
The 79 car was owned by Brock right up till 93 when he sold it at auction. After it finished racing, (the last person to race it was actually Jim Richards in NZ as number 6), Brock used to keep it on display at HDT headquarters and take Holden execs for drives in it, and even used it at a drag race at Calder Park with both of the early Commodores. I think the last time he ran it in any sort of anger was at Eastern Creek in about 92 before he sold it.
After it was sold to a Victorian guy who did a bit of racing and displays in it, including the Holden 50th.
At Phillip Island in 1999, Brock drove it, while Harvey drove his 77-78 car (now owned by Paul Stubber), and straight after that it was handed to the Bowden family.
My understanding was the engine was the last engine used in the car, but I don't know if during the time Brock or the Victorian guy owned it the engine or driveline were ever touched.
The Bathurst 79 engine was sold to an A9X club back in the day and he had it in his road car, it's since been sold to the Bowden family, not sure if it went in the car. Dan could confirm this one for me but I was told the Jongbloeds off the car went onto an early Commodore and the earlier Globes fitted and that the car no longer has it's original brake calipers as they were also used on a Commodore. As I said, Dan or Chris could confirm that, I was told this by a 3rd person.

The 78 car as most would know was crashed at Bathurst 79 and rebuilt by Jim Shepherd back to the 78 car as Holden wanted to put it in a museum, which never eventuated and he got to keep the car. It passed hands a few times, and a few people even claimed to own it at times. Unfortunately someone helped themselves to some parts from the car, however that person was eventually caught up with and I'm sure Chris told me all those parts are back with the car.

I'm not sure of the tyre size on the cars, each team used different tyres, the Morris cars had a larger diameter than HDT, and the HDT cars changed tyre sizes and compounds at every round in 79. They would test the cars at every track, and Bridgestone would make a tyre to suit. I know the 79 car had the Bridgestones removed when Brock owned the car and when the rims were changed. It would have had a set of older Dunlops from 77 or 78 more than likely since HDT did not use Globes during 79 at all.

#28 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

Brock says he hits 7000 but holds it in 3rd up the hill

#29 _redhotmike_

_redhotmike_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

"Top Gear Australia have organised track time Saturday morning for a few fast laps with one of Australia's greatest drivers taking to the wheel of the Torana. It will be a great twist as he gets to drive the car he raced against and give viewers of the show some insight to the A9X's abilities around this epic circuit."

If you say he's in white, but raced against this car, I'm saying Allan Moffat.

I say Skaife. He piloted HRT VY during the speed comparo lap - you could say it was a race.

Red Hot Mike

#30 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J5JkiaXGCbo

6500rpm in Hardies Hero's down conrod. Up the mountain he says 7000rpm in the commentary, but I am sure Ian Tate didn't want him holding 7000rpm for long as the 308's where a little like a grenade spinning that fast. In Hardies he pushed very hard because he wanted that 100mph average lap time, he got close (Grice got it in about 84 from memory)

Thanks Red you filled in a few holes about the 78/79 cars. I know Peter didn't really want to sell the 79 as it was very special to him (he kept no other car). But at the time he had money issues (very grey period for Peter). I used to own a mag that had all the specs of the MHDT Bridgestone tyres but I lost it in the divorce move. The Globes where not used in 79 season as far as I can recall.
Be interested to hear from Dan what the leak was (radiator overflow?) and if they did break a rocker or two? It certainly did not sound as sweet as Ive heard it sound.

Still be nice to find out at least the height of the rears used at Bathurst so it gives us a more accurate speed down the old conrod.

Funny I hate watching V8 Supercars but I can watch the Group C days over and over. So much more real and relative. Race Sunday buy on Monday.

Hard to believe but dealers just couldn't sell the A9X and I was just a little too young to drive.

Edited by LXSS350, 03 February 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#31 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J5JkiaXGCbo

That's what he says in the commentary, but I am sure Ian Tate didn't want him holding 7000rpm for long as the 308's where a little like a grenade spinning that fast. In Hardies he pushed very hard because he wanted that 100mph average lap time, he got close (Grice got it in about 84 from memory)

Thanks Red you filled in a few holes about the 78/79 cars. I know Peter didn't really want to sell the 79 as it was very special to him (he kept no other car). But at the time he had money issues (very grey period for Peter). I used to own a mag that had all the specs of the MHDT Bridgestone tyres but I lost it in the divorce move. The Globes where not used in 79 season as far as I can recall.
Be interested to hear from Dan what the leak was (radiator overflow?) and if they did break a rocker or two? It certainly did not sound as sweet as Ive heard it sound.

Still be nice to find out at least the height of the rears used at Bathurst so it gives us a more accurate speed down the old conrod.
Funny I hate watching V8 Supercars but I can watch the Group C days over and over. So much more real and relative. Race Sunday buy on Monday.
Hard to believe but dealers just couldn't sell the A9X and I was just a little too young to drive.

I'm sure Ian Tate would have loved it if Brock broke the engine, considering he was working for Janson at the time. The engine builder for HDT at the time was Niell "PART" Burns.
Grice got it in 83 from memory, but many believed at the time the car was illegal due to his top speed down Conrod being much faster than anyone else at the time.

#32 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'm sure Ian Tate would have loved it if Brock broke the engine, considering he was working for Janson at the time. The engine builder for HDT at the time was Niell "PART" Burns.
Grice got it in 83 from memory, but many believed at the time the car was illegal due to his top speed down Conrod being much faster than anyone else at the time.

Hahaaa Janson needed 05 to break, after all he did have 6 laps in hand.
PB pants the whole field that year, not even the other A9X's could keep pace.

83 was it, well no doubt I remember the race fairly well and Grice did have something working in his favor that year. (normally not his patience) He was no Jim Richards.

Edited by LXSS350, 03 February 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#33 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

wasnt it 82.he won everything except the race .it was no slouch.

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

wasnt it 82.he won everything except the race .it was no slouch.

YEP, it was 82

#35 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

AND the end result was??

#36 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

AND the end result was??

Motor racing was the winner on the day

#37 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

I mean how did the weekends events go and who was the driver?

#38 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

It was Dick Johnson and the weekend was great. Hotter than hell but a terrific race meet.

Talked to Chris on the Saturday afternoon and the car went fine and Dick enjoyed himself. Happy Dick.

I didn't see it go around but maybe Dan will post something when they get home.

#39 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

I was in Orange, I thought about stopping for a look but my son was kart racing

#40 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

3.36 ratio at bathurst with the kink would be the correct diff ratio if the brock a9x engine was in good order and capable of 7000 rpm as most group c race 308 engines today make peak horsepower at 6800 and will rev to 7000 rpm

and yes it was dick johnson who saw the light to drive a holden again !!!

#41 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Depending on your rolling diameter of your rear tyres of course, but looking how quickly Skaife catches Brock it was ovbious it was peaking out early.
At the time V8's had about 600hp, rev limited to 7500 and were hitting about 280-290km/h with the control 3.25 diff. The control diff now is 3.15 and they make 620-640hp and do about the same speed.
An A9X at it's peak made about 400-420hp and wouldn't want to be reved much past 6500 and did about 260-270km/h.
So the variables are the chase and tyre diameter. I don't believe the tyres are as tall as they were in the day though. I believe 3.36 was the ratio HDT used at Phillip Island in the day.

#42 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Im sure when Brocky broke the lap record at the 1979 Bathurst Race in the HDT A9X, it was clocked doin 276 kmh down conrod straight,it might be on the 1979 race video or was reported later on,but im sure its top speed was that,Sheppo should know u would think.

#43 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

276 is impressive. It took till 1996 for a touring car to break 300, of course that is with the chase though

#44 _dan327_

_dan327_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

AND the end result was??

End result was a real great weekend in Bathurst.

Thanks to all those here who came out and said hello, was a bit of fun!

Yes Red, your mostly spot on for the details with both our cars history as per above.

In 2004 the 79 overheated with the old radiator not taking too well to the hot weather, that was what was under her after each run.. Also from memory it was valve springs that broke, from the revs.. Luckily there was no terminal damage as Brock shut the engine down and coasted into the pits on the second run that year. It was fixed overnight with help from some Torana Club members and ran again Sunday. That engine was already very tired, I did forget to mention in a previous post one small thing we had changed with the 79 car, only an engine! After that run in 2004 we came home and placed the original 79 Bathurst engine back in the car, all freshened up and still in her to this day.

Anyhow, back to the weekend's events, Top Gear organised Dick Johnson to drive the 78, and he absolutely loved it (How could you not?).. The images and article are on our website here.

The 78 ran really well, no drama at all and she is now back home, safe and sound right in front of me. :)

Posted Image

Cheers,
Dan

#45 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

What a great desktop background! LOL

#46 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for that Dan. You guys do a great job to get these cars out for us all to see, it looks good sitting next to the real 05 VK as well. I'm very happy the gearing was also proven to be correct.

#47 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

good to see the correct website up on your computer too! :lol:

#48 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Great Pics Dan,

to me the 78 car is a bit of an unsung hero. It was the start of an era of domination by Torana and then Commodore!.

Is there any video footage of Dick's lap??

cheers
Mick

#49 _dan327_

_dan327_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Great Pics Dan,

to me the 78 car is a bit of an unsung hero. It was the start of an era of domination by Torana and then Commodore!.

Is there any video footage of Dick's lap??

cheers
Mick

Hi Mick,
Top Gear will show it in the new series, they had about 4 cameras in the car and got Channel 1 to film each lap with the 18 odd cameras they had on the track.. Dick didn't drive the old girl too hard, he was quite respectful actually, which we really appreciate!

Cheers,
Dan

Edited by dan327, 14 February 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#50 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Dan, if you ever get tired of your job, let me know, I'll come and sit at that desk any day. Might not get any work done for a few hours though while I just sit and gaze around....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users