Put up or Shut up

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 _LJP202_

_LJP202_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Gday all,
It has been brought to my attention by a number of folks in the XU-1 world, that my beloved '73 Sunburst XU-1 that I have reluctantly had up for sale (anyone that has been through the divorce threshing machine would know what I mean) has been mentioned on a few occasions on this forum. Normally that would be a good thing, however from what I have read, I have been totally and utterly gutted and gobsmacked by what I would perceive as being slanderous diatribe that has been circulating about the car. I certainly hope for Bathurst 32D's sake, he has either the evidence or knowledge at hand to have the intestinal fortitude to spread that sort of stuff around, particularly on a site like this that would have national exposure.
I am the 5th owner of the car, and I have had it for 14 years, and on a number of occasions it has been put up for sale to either fund another Torrie project, or as a means of reducing my debts when the interest rates started creeping up. Over the years I have been in contact with two of the previous owners and had lengthy and interesting discussions. In short, I am saying that I believe I have a pretty good knowledge of its past, and nothing has come to light regarding any of the statemants made by Bathurst 32D.
So I would very much like the following accusations/statements addressed with whatever knowledge/experience Bathurst 32D, or anyone else has about this car.

1. The claim that this car had been reboddied/reshelled sometime in the past, why it was done, where it was done and by whom.

2. The claim that the car had been sold, then returned by the purchaser with a refund given on the account they found it to be reshelled and not the original body. The claim was also made that it was a result of the information divulged on this forum that gave the purchaser that specific knowledge.
(I would like to make the point that I have had this car a lot longer than this forum has been operating, and not once has it been sold to anyone in that time......)

3. That a viewer of the car claimed they belived the Chassis Number stamped on the inner fender had been welded in from another car to affect a successful reshell.
(The inner gaurd is in perfect nic. Phil Munday from Melbourne has gone over the car with a fine tooth comb and had no problems with it...............)

Thats about as much as I have found on the site so far, I would have continued but for the requirement to go to the chemist to double up on blood pressure tablets!
If I were to take it on face value, I would suggest that the car in question has been genuinely mistaken for another.
I honestly hate having to join this forum under these circumstances, but I could not sit back and watch this sort of stuff get circulated unchecked. This car is well known in the Vic XU-1 club, and nothing like this has ever been mentioned before. So put up the reasons why you have continued to cast aspersions on this car without having the common decency to say why, or even contact me first. I eagerly await your response on this subject.

Regards

Steve (Hobart)

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

Bathurst32D has extensive knowledge in this area.

And he's a bloody top bloke to boot. I say that as i have had the honor of meeting him in person. I honestly couldn't see him bagging a car without good reason.

Cheers.

#3 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

time for gong to provide proof then hey bomber, we all know hes a legit bloke so shouldnt be a problem!

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:56 AM

Whoa this going to cause a shit fight let the games begin before the mods lock this thread

#5 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

Whoa this going to cause a shit fight let the games begin before the mods lock this thread

+1

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

Interesting issue that needs review. What you often see on the surface, is usually way different to what is happening under the surface, and you don't really know unless you ask yourself.

PS I'm not taking sides on this one.

#7 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

hi steve ljp202.
im bathurst-32d, better knowing as gong, what or whom brought your car to my attention was when i had a phone call from a tassie friend that was looking to buy an lj xu1, at the time your car was for sale on one of the web sights and was in his state so i told him to look at that car, his reply to me is dont touch that car i know the owner of it and the inner guard has been welded in. i had no reason to doubt this bloke but like always it would be better to see for my self, here is a link that then take you to another descation about the same car
http://www.gmh-toran.../51267-lj-xu1/.
http://www.gmh-toran..._1#entry454712.
i have been surfing over all the old links trying to find the original post about the car i have been bagging, you can read in a post of the second link i posted that a fellar in toowoomba was selling a 73 sunburst that he was giving back to the owner he got it from in tassie, there was a post some time back that the numbers from your car came up in topic and there was alot of bad things pointed out, mabe one of the forum members who are better with computors than me can find this topic.
IF I HAVE GOT THE WRONG CAR AND NUMBERS MIXED UP IN THIS POST
http://www.gmh-toran...c/51267-lj-xu1/
THEN PLEASE EXCEPT MY SINCERE APOLIGY

ps as for put up or shut up, if this was my car in question and i was in the right i would without a doubt be putting it forward in the same manner...

cheers gong

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 14 February 2011 - 07:34 AM.

#8 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

good on you John... hope this clears it all up

#9 _LJP202_

_LJP202_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Gday folks
Thanks for replies, and please rest assured, I do not want to cause a shit fight or slagging match in any way, shape or form. (Please note moderators!!)
Thanks Gong for your reply in particular, I wasn't really sure how my post would be received, this forum stuff is fairly new to me. This matter has taken me quite aback, I am sure you can understand, and relate in some way to my predicament. Everyone here knows as well as I do, that the whole XU-1 world in particular can be a veritable minefield for the unwary and uninitiated, and any sort of rumour (unfounded or not) can totally destroy a car and unwittingly, the owner. A bloke named Chris was enquiring of the car and brought it to my attention. Poor bloke copped a fairly terse response!
I have yet to get onto the links you have provided Gong, and as soon as I have that out of the way, I will endevour to respond/comment, hopefully tonight. Thanks for that.
Prior to that, just a few comments on what has been outlined in the latest postings.
I have actually had a resonable response (enquiries mainly) during the times the car has been for sale, however because of the location (south of Hobart), had very few come down from the mainland to view it, only two............both from Melbourne. A service station owner (came down some 5 or 6 years ago), and more recently Phil Munday (from Brock Humpy fame). He was here in about October from memory. Both were impressed with the car. Only a few locals have taken the time to view it, one the franchisee of Bob Jane Hobart, (Phil Burdon) who I know reasonably well, and Cadell Evan's manager looking to get one for Cadell. That was an on again off again affair! When he won a tournament, he wanted it, when he didnt, I didn't hear from him! Bloody athletes!!!That has been about it. I cannot think of anyone else, a bit disappointing really. Had a proportionally high number of enquiries from Qld and WA (miners with money no doubt).
I will point out that there is another Sunburst one here in the Hobart area, and as far as I am aware it is a replica (ooooops, now I am doing it lol)! I have only seen it from a distance, and it is a bloody nice looking car (although I personally baulk at chrome air dams!)..............dare I say better looking than mine, but mine is pretty much a what you see is what you get XU1, no bells and whistles. I wouldn't know if this one has caused confusion or not, like I said I haven't had a good look at it, and no one here in the Xu1 fraternity have mentioned it specifically.
Thanks again folks, hopefully this matter will be put to rest one way or another very shortly. I appreciate the apology Gong, I just need to get this sorted.
Regards
Steve

#10 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Glad thats cleared up.

Now that you have joined the site Steve and if you intend on still trying to sell your car then this is the place to post your information and clear it up. You only get so many words in a carsales add where as this forum allows you to post as much information as you like.

May I suggest if you still have your car sales add running then create a thread in the sales section here and post a link in your add.

The more information you post the more research a potential buyer can do.

Cheers
T Nut

#11 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

IF I HAVE GOT THE WRONG CAR AND NUMBERS MIXED UP IN THIS POST
http://www.gmh-toran...c/51267-lj-xu1/
THEN PLEASE EXCEPT MY SINCERE APOLIGY

Thanks for replies, and please rest assured, I do not want to cause a shit fight or slagging match in any way, shape or form. (Please note moderators!!)

Nice job guys. Mature resolution to a possibly difficult situation.

Welcome Steve.

#12 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Nice job guys. Mature resolution to a possibly difficult situation.

Welcome Steve.

+1

Well handled by both parties.

#13 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

its good to see issues being resolved :)

Edited by boomfunk, 14 February 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#14 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Civility is a blessing these days, a lot of these post go pear shaped and nobody wins, i too am glad the replies where handled maturely cause the last thing we need is a big shit fight and bad publicity.

I too will welcome you Steve and hope you can stay and if you do please, post in the introduction thread so we can get to know you better on more friendlier grounds.

Oh and we like lots of pics if you are willing to share them :lol: .

Mort

#15 _LJP202_

_LJP202_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Gday folks,
Well it's not quite resolved, but it is certainly well on the way. Thanks to all those involved. I guess you could say this car now has provenance!!!???
Had a look through the links Gong provided, I didn't realise there was a novel accompanying the car on AMCS! I had sent all that stuff to Mike Selby (AMCS) asking him just to put in any relevent info in the ad..............obviously he just added the whole bloody lot! Makes a good read before bed I suppose.
On that subject, most of that info was gathered back in 2002, and since then, additional info has come to hand. In particular the number of cars in that colour. Obviously there were more than 4 cars in Sunburst Metallic. In 2002 I was approached by a Biante rep at XU-1's On The Mountain who made a bee-line to my car. He said he hadn't seen one in that colour since he was working at a Holden dealership in Brisbane in 1973. He stated that he was sure there were only 4 cars (6 at the most) that came out of Acacia Ridge in that colour, and it was only Acacia Ridge cars that had it. Made sense to me, after all it was the most expensive paint job. He wanted to push for a model in the colour, and 6 months later, hey presto, a Sunburst model! Unfortunately only in 1:43 or whatever the size, and not 1:18.
Sharon Chapman (now married to Jason Nisj) had in her posession the GMH paint option sheets for '73, and pointed out that Sunburst was a $35 option.......metallic versions of other colours were $25 extra. Doesnt sound a lot, however when a new XU-1 was only a touch over $3K, it was a sizeable outlay. Imagine buying a new Monaro, or HSV these days and paying and extra $8-$10K just for a specific colour! Anyway, it seems there were more than my claimed 4 issued, how many, well who knows.....folks must have been rich then! It is a striking colour, I even painted my Nc spec XU1 replica in it.
There is quite an interesting story about another "Sunburst" car here in Hobart also. I met Shane Smith on the way to Bathurst on 02, at Holbrook NSW. Everyone was perving on each others cars, and since Shane was from Hobart, I made a bee-line to his. His was/is a very tidy '73 in Lone Oranger. I was looking at the body plate when I noticed the paint code...567 15337, you guessed it, Sunburst Metallic! I said to him this is a Sunburst car, why ruin it by painting it solid orange? This is where it gets interesting. Apparently the car was in the showroom at the time the LH was about to come online. The purchaser wanted an XU-1, but not a gold one, and asked if any other dealers had any other XU-1's left. The dealer asked him what colour he would prefer......orange was the reply. The dealer then said if he could come back in a few days, his gold one would be orange! They wheeled it out the back, taped her up and resprayed it just to get it out the door!!!
I had finally tracked down the location of the original JP block for the car. It is under 30 odd feet of landfill at a tipsite in the Wagga area! It died in the late 70's while bolted into a leading speedway car at the time. Anyone thats good with a pick and shovel can help themselves....good luck. I might even let you keep it if you find it!
Regards
Steve

#16 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi Steve, I too can vouch for the gong, absolute top bloke.... The accusations against your car would seem to me to be quite easily disproven.....remove the front wheel, sand back the area around the body number and post some photos of the lack of welds.......that would prove it beyond a doubt..... Time for you to put up or shut up ! And before u take offense if u have had a significant amount of trouble selling I the past, this is probably the onlynway you will get a resolution, regardless of what heresay you post.....

#17 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi Steve, I too can vouch for the gong, absolute top bloke.... The accusations against your car would seem to me to be quite easily disproven.....remove the front wheel, sand back the area around the body number and post some photos of the lack of welds.......that would prove it beyond a doubt________________________________________________________________________________

probly should have stopped here

#18 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

:iagree: Clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

#19 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

:useless:

this thread is going down hill.................

#20 _LJP202_

_LJP202_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

No worries mate, its cool.
It is just difficult selling these sorts of cars in Tassie at the best of times. Generally there are not many folks that can afford them here, and mainlanders see Bass Strait as an inconvenient barrier that costs a lot of money to cross! There isnt the simple matter of driving for several hours to view a car, you have to organise flights intead. The one good thing is that Tasmania has a high percentage of Bathurst Era muscle cars per capita for that very reason.............too much trouble to move them. Your loss, our gain, unless you need to sell one of course.
Yes I could rub back under the gaurd and take pics, and if it had come to that then I would have done it. As it stands it looks very much like a short circuit and cross over of info about two similar vehicles, its just a matter of finding the source.
Thanks all
regards Steve

#21 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yeah ok, hopefully so, but the sharpest radome fails to understand my point on the doubt already cast.... So whatever do as u please and keep listing it for sale......it's hard to knock a bad beat up on a car without concrete evidence that it is in fact a different car....

#22 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,002 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

Theres no need to dribble the crap that you do though you goose.
I remember you having a go at Gong yourself. You're a hypocrit.

Edited by rodomo, 14 February 2011 - 10:04 PM.

#23 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

Theres no need to dribble the crap that you do though you goose.

Thats adam you should know that by now rob.
just let it go guys.

#24 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

once someone finds the original post that started the topic on this car way back when, only then we will sort this out, i have spoken with steve by pm and the same phil but not the last name was the same fellar whom warned me about the car.
we the forum have many of drifters that came here to gain knoledge about how beloved toranas, they get numbers checked, we been who we are try how best so some pour bastard dont loose his hard earned dollars.
i really have no more to add to this until the original post is un-covered.
i would like to thank the people who have supported me, but there is no need for you all to start picking at each other.

View Postrodomo, on 14 February 2011 - 10:58 PM, said:

the way this comes across makes me feel weak, but let me asure you [i will take a bullit for a love one]
no need for any shit fellars, lets just get it sorted so this fellar [steve] can sell his car or scrap it

cheers gong

#25 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

The UC maybe the arsehole of the Torana family but the XU-1 stirs up the biggest shit lol. Welcome Steve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users