32 replies to this topic

#26 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

My LX is about 410 HP at the flywheel or thereabouts and about 540Nm (what ever that is in Ft-lbs). I have constantly had trouble with stress cracks across the C pillars despite them being seam welded. Can't say I have any identified any issues with permanant distortion or twisting.

After adjustment, my hatch panel only stays in alignment for about 10 traffic light launches or 1 drag strip meet and it is loose and squeaking again. I can't put this down to anything other than flex in the body. If I take it easy - which is rare - it will stay in adjustment until I go to willowbank or drive at full steam a handful of times.

Clearly traction will also play a part as to how much torque actually goes to the ground and how much twist is seen through the chassis.
With good traction and over 400HP - anything you can do to stiffen the chassis is a good thing.

Plenty of people who like to think they have a lot more HP than they actually do.

#27 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

A hatch is going to be worse than a sedan in regards to chassis stiffness, something to keep in mind.

#28 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

My Hatch makes over 450hp and has done heaps of drag racing in the more than 20 years i have had it, and for a number of years more recently with slicks and lifting the left front consistantly (no 90-10's and over 3300lbs), and i have never had an issue with anything not fitting correctly, moving, loosing adjustment and never had an issue damaging the suspension mountings on the floor etc The car is going to get another 100HP soon and i still do not expect or can imagine having any trouble.

I really can't see the point for the use you sound like you are going to put it to.

Like others have eluded to, the trouble seen by some people is probably a result of other things that were wrong...

#29 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Waddingtons do kits for various vehicles
CHeck the ebay section for a posted link to their info with pics

#30 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

i think every car i've seen with 400+hp and slicks has a creased quarter panel inline with the rear window

#31 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Make your own chassis kit. I bought 1 for my LC and not 1 single part fits properly.

#32 _JNR_ATE_

_JNR_ATE_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm In the process of putting my LH on the rotisserie. Chassis strengthening kit is my first thing to fab up. Will be taking pics along the way.

Cheers
JNR_ATE

#33 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

How's the kit going? Any pics yet mate?