Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

looks 110% better already :buttrock:

+1 .... I agree also! Great work.

#78 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Nice work on the rear end. :clappin:

Always nice to work on a beautiful lady's rear end!

#79 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

looks 110% better already :buttrock:

+1 .... I agree also! Great work.

Thanks notna! Its been a hard slog.

#80 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

Dam fine work keep it up :lol: cheers sting

#81 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

Time to do the diff.
I got a donor VN SS with a LSD set up. The axles are massive compared to the banjo. I think they are 28 spline.
I also get rear disc brakes. I bought new slotted rotors and new pads. Because I'm running 14 inch rims I cant use the hoppers kits. I will eventually change to show wheels or a fat pair of Simmons when I'm cashed up.
The diff was shorted and welded up the mounting points for the training arms had to be changed too. From memory one the axles was shortened and the splines forged and re cut. I had an engineer do this. Got the trailing arms powder coated and new Nolathaine bushes. All up $500. The centres on the diff were very good.
Bought some more Lovell lowered springs and GT gas shocks.
Its not a 9 inch but it will do till I can afford one. She will be a cruiser until then.

Looks brand new. Yay!

Berro

Attached Files

#82 _ayios_

_ayios_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Great build! Keep up the good work!

Edited by ayios, 06 July 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#83 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Flare kit ready to rock n roll!

Attached Files

#84 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

I got these flares made from a guy in Perth that claimed to have the molds made from a genuine a9x hatch years ago. Fiber glass not plastic.
He then adapted the molds to have 1-2 mm extra fat so that they can be sanded back to fit panels perfectly. They fit perfectly! I will need to hack out the wheel arches though. That's the great thing about have a UC-LX clone no guilt when cutting her up.

Attached Files

#85 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

Do you have to carry a spare for Rego?

Nup - not an item for roadworthy - yes some inspectors or Police might ask to folks to open the boot to inspect the spare for roadworthy but they can't if you object and you can't (lawfully) get pinged for it.

Love your thread too. Just amazed what you have done, how you have done it and the result. Full credit to you - wish I could do that sort of thing!

Cheers, TB

#86 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

I thought the rear flares in particular looked good from the first pic above - no excessive curl, and the leading edge has a very nice angle compared to most. They do look to fit nice and flush against the body from that last pic too

#87 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Berro I can't see u neediing a 9" to soon mate. The VN LSD should hold up pretty well with your planned power plus the reduced weight of the torrie over a VN. All good I'd imagine :)
Btw , the hatch is looking gr8 !

#88 fenz

fenz

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:LJ 2 door and UC V8 4door

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Those flares do look to fit quite well.

Has been lots of projects on here where they have had to cut and reglass them to get the right shape but the one you have shown looks nicely shapped.

Gotta love a hatch with flares......they look awsome from behind with big wheels and errrr ummmm no uc tail lights (that might upset the uc fans hehehehe)

Lookin good though

#89 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

Hey Fenz,
I think a UC can look great. I just think the LX looks better and it was my first car.
The whole kit fit like a glove!

#90 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

Their is that Photoshop of a UC in HDT colours and trim, if GMH did that, the UC would have been a tremendous success I think.

#91 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

Mmmm...............big wheels...........check these out.
Picked them up for a grand. They have brand new Mickey T's and Yokys. I know they are only cheap arse Dragways but the rears were custom off set to fit a flared Torry.
They will do till I am cashed up.

Attached Files

#92 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Schweeeet!

#93 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Dragways look sick on Torana's for some reason.... :dontknow:

#94 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

Their is that Photoshop of a UC in HDT colours and trim, if GMH did that, the UC would have been a tremendous success I think.

I agree that looks so cool.
Its a shame they did produce a V8 UC or race them at Bathurst. Its Ironic that the A9X which is one of the greatest Aussie muscle cars of all time is part UC. I think the general perception of them would be different. I don't mind the front, its the tail lights that get me. They just seem to emulate the boxed, plain, square 80's car look. Some of the UC's on the forum do look bloody fantastic but they are far from stock.

#95 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

Berro I can't see u neediing a 9" to soon mate. The VN LSD should hold up pretty well with your planned power plus the reduced weight of the torrie over a VN. All good I'd imagine :)
Btw , the hatch is looking gr8 !

Cheers m8,
The motor will be tame to start but it will become a 355 stroker one day. Built on a budget!

#96 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

I agree that looks so cool.
Its a shame they did produce a V8 UC or race them at Bathurst. Its Ironic that the A9X which is one of the greatest Aussie muscle cars of all time is part UC. I think the general perception of them would be different. I don't mind the front, its the tail lights that get me. They just seem to emulate the boxed, plain, square 80's car look. Some of the UC's on the forum do look bloody fantastic but they are far from stock.

Well yeah the Brock HDT 1979 (UC era) Torana was the best car they ever raced.

I just feel that when they were told about not having V8's everyone in R&D just abandoned ship. As I said a well thought out UC with a 308 and a 5 speed, recessed front lights and LX style rear lights (block lights with three stripes instead of one like the LX had) and remodeled interior could have been a master piece... Needless to say, it didn't.

#97 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

I've looked at this thread a few times since you put it up recently and have loved the transformation. The work you've done is top notch. It should look amazing with the fat tyres filling out the flares like that.

#98 fenz

fenz

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:LJ 2 door and UC V8 4door

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Hey Fenz,
I think a UC can look great. I just think the LX looks better and it was my first car.

Yeah i better not say to much cause i had a sedan as my first car and have owned two others(still got one V8 though)
Those wheels were an absolute bargain and fill those rear flares nice.

Using a rear spoiler???Personally for the tough car look i like em without but thats just my preferance.

LH and LX torries seem pretty thin on the ground around here also so might have to convert a UC myself.

Im not a hater of the fronts just those big arse in your face tail lights other than that they are a nice car to ride in.

#99 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hey Fenz,

Yeah i better not say to much cause i had a sedan as my first car and have owned two others(still got one V8 though)
Those wheels were an absolute bargain and fill those rear flares nice.

Using a rear spoiler???Personally for the tough car look i like em without but thats just my preferance.

LH and LX torries seem pretty thin on the ground around here also so might have to convert a UC myself.

Im not a hater of the fronts just those big arse in your face tail lights other than that they are a nice car to ride in.

Yes putting a rear spoiler on.
I am wanting some thing a little different for the bonnet though. The only issue is rego if I have some thing huge hanging out the cops will ping me. I like the idea of a three throated intake half peeping out of the bonnet or a smaller hornet scoop.
Love to see photos of ideas. Must pass rego!
I may need two bonnets. One that is plain and the other that is mad!
The body to date has cost me stuff all! Just man hours.

#100 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

Because I'm using lowered springs and fat wheels and its a UC....... time to cut her arse out! I was amazed at how much rust gets tucked away in the wheel arches.

• With the flare on I sprayed a guide coat to see were I need to cut.
  • I then cut the outer quarter.
  • clear her out and rust proof
  • I then cut slits in the inner quarter to better easier bend sections.
  • I then slammed those bits with a dolly hammer to fold them over.
  • cut off the excess
  • weld them up with a weld through primer
  • epoxy primer
  • done
Plenty of room now!
I can slam this car on the ground now if I want!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users