Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

I've been watching the build threads for a while now and have found them very useful for detail, specs, photos, tutorials and the alike. I thought it time to start my own thread given work has begun but I cannot in all good conscience purport that any reader of my thread will be more learned as a result - amused or befuddled is a good chance but wiser - never. Please be kind on me and those very kind souls who have stepped in to help me out as I stumble through this, but by all means I welcome well intentioned and genuine advice. If nit-picking and one-up-man-ship for the sake of a pissing contest is your bent, then please find some other place to feel big about yourself.

My car is an Oct 1976 LX SS 4.2L 4-speed in Mint Julep with Slate Black interior.
It was my plan to restore the car to Palais white with Chamois interior - this being exactly the car I had admired since a boy, but Redslur has been at me to go original and worn me down - Mint Julep it is - thanks Gerry as I think you are right :)
Further on my plan - return the car back to very close to original deviating so far as the flared bodywork (decision made by previous owner who cut...well hacked the guards would be a better descriptor), 308 block, M21 gearbox, upgraded UPC disc brakes (front) and Hotwire wheels.
Timeline - I might see you at Toranafest 2012, but 2013 is more likely!

Story so far;
In Dec 2010 I heard of a genuine LX 5.0L SS Hatchback in a shed at Bungendore - you know the story...heck, we all know the story - turns out the old adage about when something seems to good to be true is (yet again) on the money!
Posted Image

Jan 2011 I visited the car - found to be a roller in primer but told everything was retained (except for gearbox, seats and dash) albeit much of the stuff was at a few different locations merely awaiting my collection upon handing over my hard earned... Negotiations commenced.
Posted Image

Feb 2011 the car turned out to be a 4.2L SS - Negotiations ceased for the time being.
Posted Image

Mar 2011: Negotiations re-commenced at a revised (lesser) price and a deal finally closed when the car came home on the back of a U-Tow-It. Remainder of the car collected the following day and that is when the coin dropped - I realised I'd been duded somewhat when so much of the stuff supposedly retained never appeared. Actually, that isn't quite true - the honest truth being I was too naive to realise immediately just what was missing and how significant the missing items are in terms of availability and cost - a lesson I soon would begin to learn the hard way. Essentially, it would be easier to write a list of what came with the car than what is missing! Live and learn I guess :)
Posted Image

I like this next one - two SS together despite being 31 years apart - that SSV is for sale by the way and so if you like a very strong but well mannered and beautifully modified car then send me a PM...
Posted Image

April - May 2011: The car sits in the shed whilst I navel gaze, trying to work out where to go from here and begin to get my head around what I didn't know (still don't know very much), what work was required and in what order, and what parts I needed to source including when I would need them. I did get the mojo up to put the thing onto a rotisserie and strip a lot of stuff from it including the suspension (f&r) but other than a few digs with a screwdriver at some bog here and there, things went slowly as I accumulated advice, parts and even a donor sedan to help both supply all those things found to be missing and to guide me on how all this goes into the car - remember mine came as a pretty bare roller and I've never tried my hand at this sort of thing before let alone a Torana, and so a reference point albeit a sedan was very welcome - thanks Craig.
Posted Image

June 2011: Bullet finally bitten and the car was sent to SodaBlast. With this process came some history - I saw the car has had a few hits with a tail-light panel and both rear quarters being replaced at some juncture, but surprisingly there is nil damage to the rear floor or rails... In any case, some of the things found after blasting helped to explain a few things, but funny enough I discovered that when you are talking about a 35 year-old car the more you learn, the more questions are created. The good news is the car isn't too bad rust wise, and certainly could have been a lot worse; the heater-box opening in the lower dash is great, hatch hinge area is very good, c-pillars have been previously repaired (not a great job but appear to be good enough to salvage) and windscreen frame is fine.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

June 2011 also saw me track down yet another former owner who has promised to send some photos from her ownership in the late 1990's. I have one more previous owner to call but otherwise my avenues of enquiry have been exhausted going back only so far as April 1996. It seems the car may well have started off in Perth as a Holden car but Transport WA has nil record of it (not unusual given the change of record keeping formats and record tenure requirements since), hence the significant gap of its first 20 years is one I am likely never to know more about.

July 2011 saw panel work starting in earnest - a workmate Dave is helping me on this and by God he works fast. So far the panel work includes a new lower rad support panel, L&R panels behind headlights, bonnet hinge area, tidy-up of attempt/s by former owner/s to somewhat smooth the engine bay in places followed by metal prep and primer. I also need to do my best to 'relieve' a panel from another hatchback body tomorrow given the previous owner (we'll call him 'Tosso' - see his handiwork in the image below) decided to hack the floor brace between the b-pillars to create a custom interior (that never eventuated) and now won't own up to doing this butcher's job...Just very thankful to the donor of the replacement panel because my car and I am in a very difficult place without it.
Posted Image

Engine bay, dash and firewall is now in primer with the engine bay ready for next step - sanding the guide coat.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also started is fixing the world's worst efforts on the rear wheel arches (former owner - remember 'tosso'?). To say the work was rough and ready is very on the money and so all the crap has been cut away leaving a significant gap between the double skinned inner and outer panels - welding metal between the two to re-create a flat lip or sorts. Still a bit more to do about the rear after the arches but making progress nonetheless.

Posted Image

As I said earlier, I don't propose to post anything that one can much learn from because there is very little I know and I am relying on others experiences both here on the forum and also amongst the fellas as my local Torana Club - all so far have been very patient and most hospitable - thank you.

Pluses to date are the wonderful deeds by so many forum and club members. I'd name names but don't want to embarrass - in any case, thank you. The only minus to date being my significant concern towards a fellow in Sydney who is supposedly building me a gearbox. Money up front by me months ago, deadlines passed, never contacts me unless I initiate it, broken promises, several excuses that contradict each other, won't commit to anything in writing, and to date I have seen for my money...well nothing actually. Last deadline is next week so we'll see what happens I guess. Having said that, help offered by absolute strangers has astounded me and I am grateful for it.

Until next time, cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 05 July 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

Sounds interesting, are there supposed to be more photos in your post?

#3 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Will definately follow this build

I have all but payed for ANOTHER hatch in very similar condition

#4 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Good to see you have posted up a thread mate. I was too lazy to do one for my build. Truth about the colour choice was I didn't want another Palais white hatch in the club LOL....Jokes mate, Mint julep rocks and it was the original colour so will look shit hot! Will have to have a stickybeak at it soon to check out the progress.....No soccer for the next three weeks which gives me some free time.

Cheers, Gerry

#5 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Great thread, love seeing hatchbacks restored and this one looks like a beauty. :spoton:

Keep those pic's coming.

#6 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

welcome to the forums and great purchase, hatchbacks rule, and if you put up with the pain of the build and do it right eventually you will enjoy friving the car and the problems with it will be a memory. besides which have you ever read a build thread where there wasn't drama added cost things not going to plan

#7 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for your kind words and the encouragement, and I can report another day under the belt;

Got the rear guards done - they need to be tidied up yet, but all the 'meat' is now in there joining the inner and outer panels.
Here is a couple of the right-hand rear.
Posted Image

Posted Image

And the left-hand rear;
Posted Image

Rust repairs at rear include new corner and bottom channels for the rubber.
Posted Image

Also got the floor bracing panel mentioned earlier and will need to clean it up tomorrow before getting it in. A pretty difficult job - had plans to merely unpick it from the floor in situ, but how the whole area is constructed proved to be very deceptive and where I thought the panel was tacked on over the tops of everything (as it appears), rather it there turned to be inter-joined amongst a few sheets internally at each end whilst also being connected through the floor by welds and large rivets into the boxed section used to retain the forward pivot of the lower trailing arm. Several grinding discs, a funnel web spider and some sliced fingers later I got it out, and I can even claim to have retained the most part of my 'ha-ha' intact.

Not as intact as I'd like was the donor - UC hatch. I did my best as was humanly possible not to take out too much and be efficient in how I took the brace... well as much as was possible for a rookie in charge of a small grinder anyways - but I just couldn't get away from having to take out some metal at the ends and the trailing arm boxes I mentioned. The good news is the shell is riddled with rust, has already been cut into with a large portion of the floor removed and so it wasn't going back on the road at any time, but nevertheless it didn't seem quite right to contribute to a car's demise no matter how much it was condemned in any case.

Posted Image

Fingers crossed we will have finished the welding tomorrow or failing that by Friday, and this is good news as my friend Dave is about fed-up with the welding of problem areas and is better looking forward to getting stuck into the body proper. Dave is really motoring along and I whilst I am going to Sydney for the weekend with the family and will enjoy some time away, I am not looking forward to missing out seeing the work unfold that he gets to on Friday, a bit of Saturday and maybe even on Sunday pending the state of his head following a flashy night out prior.

Cheers, TB

#8 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

hi tyre biter's thats a nice project you got your hands on and dam you have got your ass in gear , you have got lots done i will be keeping my eye's on this project good luck.

cheers sting

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

Looking good - there seems to be lots of hatch projects on the go at the moment. Gives me lots of inspiration to keep going on mine.

It doesn't look like much of those rear guards have been removed - are you sure enough has been removed to fit what ever wheels you are going to use?

Matt

#10 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:23 AM

I thought there were supposed to be photos! I suppose everyone else can see them and its just my browser hiding them? Will have to come back to this later and figure it out because it sounds interesting!

#11 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Sting & Toranamat69, And a good question about the rear quarters - I am not entirely sure there is enough removed or not - what do you think?
To be honest we have merely gone by what the previous owner did, just tidied the cut up (it was jagged and an uneven curve so we did our best to make it a smooth and consistent curve before putting the lip in - maybe we took 5mm extra when tidying it all up).
The 'new cut' leaves about 25/30mm to the flare screw holes and having now been spooked by your question I've looked at photos of a few other cars and I think this should be about right.
Again though, I haven't a clue to be honest and had better start looking into this especially since I want to run 15"x10" Hotwires back there.
Thanks for posing the question - better I get this right now than later.

76lxhatch, Sorry to hear you can't see the photos. I can see them here and it sounds like others can see them so it must be something at your end - not that I'd have a clue about anything IT to be useful enough to help with a fix of course - sorry :)

Out the door very soon to do it all over again - by God the weather is looking poor here today - ah the joys of playing with cars during a Canberra winter...and in an open garage to boot! If only the car resto fairy would appear for me :)

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 07 July 2011 - 07:26 AM.

#12 _efi5000lx_

_efi5000lx_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

hi looks like your off to a flying start wish i had one of those rotisseries for my car, will be watching your build
keep up the good work, door trims for sale if needed here, cheers Matt

#13 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Woohoo, I figured it out - somehow one of photobucket's servers ended up on my ad blocking list, can see the pics now. And I was right, they are interesting, carry on!

#14 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

hi looks like your off to a flying start wish i had one of those rotisseries for my car, will be watching your build
keep up the good work, door trims for sale if needed here, cheers Matt

Thanks for the offer Matt - I have the trims sorted through Cools.
I'll be finished with the rotisserie in a few weeks and happy to pass it on to a member of the Torana community for what it cost me if you would really like one.
Cheers, TB

Woohoo, I figured it out - somehow one of photobucket's servers ended up on my ad blocking list, can see the pics now. And I was right, they are interesting, carry on!

Good news and will do :)
Cheers, TB

#15 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Update:
Floor brace un-picked - Dave didn't trust me to do it and I can't blame him really - this panel is so important and as it turns out a pretty rare commodity;
Posted Image

Didn't look too bad at all, free from rust (very clean/new looking on the inside) and very straight alround;
Posted Image

Came up very well after sanding;
Posted Image

Meanwhile I was trusted to unpick the modified panel put in previously - start;
Posted Image

Finish;
Posted Image

I was pretty nervous when wielding the cutting disk near the floor but I must have held my tongue right because I got it done without mishap.
Prepped the floor for the replacement panel - cleaned it right up and laid down some copper spray (not pictured) in readiness for welding the replacement panel in.
I am just so very thankful to the member of the Canberra Torana Club that allowed me to remove the panel from his shell - I would have been truly stuffed without it, and though I appreciate a fellow forum member telling me could make one from scratch (wish I had those sort of metal fab skills), I knew I wouldn't get dimensions spot-on and no matter how good someone is with their hands, they can only work to the plan given to them. I was also under time constraints and so taking the panel from a donor car was the best way to go at a number of levels.

Also did our best to get every bit of garnet out of the body following the garnet/soda blasting - god bless rotisseries, compressed air and vacuums. I think we were pretty successful in getting nigh-on all of it out, but I don't have a clue how you'd be sure you got it all out.

Unfortunately I then had to duck away when Dave was going to weld it in and now won't see the car until Monday :(
If all goes well, the doors and hatch will be re-hung this weekend and into primer it goes before a week (next week) of speed filing, filling and rubbing in readiness for another coat of primer and yet more rubbing down the track.

In the mean time I need to turn my attention to re-assembling/building the front suspension - talk about the deep end!

Cheers, TB

#16 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

Hi TyreBiter,

Do a automotive metal fabrication course at Tafe at night. I did a six week course and found it to be very helpful. Prior to that i wouldn't of dreamed to make my own parts before then,

I am just about to post up my inner guard cutting. Yours looks very neat.

Love the project. Have fun rubbing the car down. I have been doing mine on and off for a month now.

Berro

#17 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

Geez mate doesn't look like much rust!

Good work!

#18 _LX6LTR_

_LX6LTR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Going well Max. Looks like Dave's another Dirtbag.
Craig.

#19 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

^^^^^Oh my God you have finally worked out how to post!!!!! Bout time ruff nut!

#20 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Looking great, and Gerry did you notice he has doubled his post count!

#21 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

Bring it on, looks awesome, can't wait for more pics \m/

#22 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

Geez mate doesn't look like much rust!

Good work!

No, thankfully not too much - usual spots - replaced lower radiator support, work at bonnet hinges on previous rust repairs required, both front trays previously rusted out and again not happy with the repairs done there, a tiny bit about the heater box at bottom of plenum, yet more fixing of poor rust repairs at C pillars and finally replacing of rear hatch rubber channel holed like swiss cheese. Otherwise it is in pretty good nic rust-wise (doors, rear quarters, beaver, floor and all just fine, and (as I have been told by a few Club members) not bad considering shells they have started with - for some things I am thankful - the condition of the shell being one of them.

Cheers, TB

#23 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Going well Max. Looks like Dave's another Dirtbag.
Craig.

Thanks mate and yep, Dave is pretty handy with a welder hay? Can;t wait to see his panel work in prep for paint - told he is better at that!

^^^^^Oh my God you have finally worked out how to post!!!!! Bout time ruff nut!

Leave him alone Gerry :), the bloke's finding a way into last century and I am sure will have caught up to this one by the time it is out... :) What is that I hear from you..."hello pot..."

Looking great, and Gerry did you notice he has doubled his post count!

All in a good cause - God knows Craig has more miles under his belt with my car than I do what with all his carting it about for me. Fingers crossed only two more trips to make in that regard.

Bring it on, looks awesome, can't wait for more pics \m/

Thanks and see next post - updates.

Cheers, TB

#24 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Update of Friday's work - absolutely none by me I ought to add.

Floor brace panel in - looks like a bought one!
Posted Image

And fabricated seat base hooks in - jeepers I hope they are the right size!
Posted Image

Rear flare - right
Posted Image

Posted Image

And left;
Posted Image

Back to it tomorrow - at this rate it will probably have been finished !!! I think it goes into primer inside and out tomorrow but having been away in Sydney I am not too sure exactly where it is. Let you know more when I do. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

Cheers, TB

#25 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Looks great, your well into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users