- - - - -

Tyre Biter's Hatchback - ETA unknown...

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#276 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

'too busy to procrastinate' I like that sounds like an excuse I might use one day when I get a round tooit
I call it cave time, go out into the man cave away from the noise and demands of family and just work quietly on something simple that makes sense, that and beat the &*() out of stuff with a big hammer - repairs by percussion persuasion

#277 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the mention Craig and hang in there mate.

I'm only running 3 years late on my hatch but I'm finally getting into it now.

Cheers Mick.

#278 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Not too much done lately, but for I did manage to get the rear axle housing into the car at the weekend;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now to install the springs - bit hard to work out which way they go up unfortunately.
And the the 3.25 LSD centre I got from unclefestaL34 (thanks) but wouldn't you know it, the gasket I bought fits beautifully save for one hole...
I am sure I will work it out but would just love to catch a break with this car!

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 04 June 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#279 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I got the diff centre in yesterday;
Posted Image

Does anyone have an idea how much diff oil the thing will need and any opinions on a decent oil for a 9" with (tight) LSD?

Cheers, TB

#280 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

I used Torco RGO 80-90 in mine (truetrac), can't remember how much it took to fill off hand though...

If you a are running a clutch type limited slip, a little bottle of the friction modifier would probably be a good idea IMO too. (don't need it with a truetrac, or gear locker style either I believe)

#281 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the tip Jeff.

Update: Spent the last couple of weeks beavering away at the rear axles and drum brakes. I have had to;
  • sand-blast the backing plates, drums, parking brake links and levers, adjusters, etc using the small sand blasting cabinet I have - that tool has paid for itself several times over - just can be difficult to keep working well on a cold day what with all the moisture in the air - problem is, everyday is a cold day in Canberra this time of year,
  • then clean everything not blasted, and repaint most things,
  • replaced the axle seals - I noticed some oil on the drum backing plates and whilst the existing seals looked near new and fine, I thought it would be better to do this now whilst it was all in pieces. Those seals took some work to source given everywhere I went only had them in metric sizes which were a near but not quite a proper match,
  • identify and source new brake shoes and a shoe return spring - turns out the 11" drums belong to a 1959-61 Ford Customline and so took some effort and $$$ to locate a replacement set, and
  • have some speedi-sleeves pressed onto the axles Bronco/F Series 1.5" axles.
In any case, I am pretty happy with how it all has turned out, and I am learning all the time which can be a frustrating and sometimes expensive experience at times, but nevertheless I guess I'll know this car inside out once it gets done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Excuse the crap everywhere in the garage - in the middle of a general tidy-up at the moment.

Will now turn my attention to the brake master cylinder and booster before plumbing the brake system - imagine there are a lot more lessons in those items me there...

Cheers, TB

#282 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Great work mate. Nothing like the feeling of doing it all yourself.

#283 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Well done. Its going to handle nice.

#284 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Derrin and Berro,

I spent some time on the Hotwires today. The new Hotwire comes from Neale Wheels with the centre's requiring the stickers to be attached and then trimmed around the wheel stud holes as the sticker overhangs the holes.

The stickers are bloody hard to align with the hub centre and stud holes, and the backing paper of the sticker is more strongly adhered than the sticker can adhere itself to the wheel centre meaning the sticker can be easily stretched out of round when peeling the backing off, and finally trimming the stud holes is pretty bloody easy to stuff up as I found out the hard way.

The whole process is annoying and made worse by the premium of the wheels - I expect better from such an expensive wheel - IMO they ought to come ready to go, in proper boxes, lacking water stains and with wheel nuts that are new, clean and in OEM packaging as opposed to a dirt/oil filled Glad-wrap bundle wrapped in packing tape.

Posted Image

Having said that, I have found the after sales service to be fantastic. I've been sent replacement stickers and friendly advice in a very timely manner, on top of which (despite the stuff-up being my fault) I am being sent revised size wheel nuts at no additional cost. Simply, I cannot fault the after-sales service but wonder if more effort was put into the manufacturing/packaging effort then these after-sales remedies would not be required.

Posted Image

Regardless, I would say to those looking at buying the wheels - buy them for sure. Just ask the folks at Neale's to fit the stickers or better yet, paint the centres before shipping to you.

Cheers, TB

#285 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I run Penrite limslip 90 plus friction modefier in my 9" LSD :bigthumb:

#286 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

gezz them rims sitting on the bum are massive, what size are they ?
also glad i found this thread again, keep up the good work :D

#287 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Looking tops mate. Pity I haven't been able to help much lately. Have next week off running Mel around all week in the Kanga Cup. Got heaps done in the shed this weekend. Torry is all tucked away safely now :-)

#288 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

Nice work Craig. Slowly, slowly. I've even been getting a bit done of late, might be off the rotisserie soon!!!!

#289 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

m8 good looking hatch. you have done a wonderfull job from what i can see in the pic's.
and i must admit that is one of the best cut down 9" diff's i have seen. same size axle tubes all the way insted of steped down.

#290 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the tips Bomber and Jeff re: oil for the rear axle.

Kudos for the encouragement Berro, Derrin, Lee, Gerry and Pat - much appreciated.

Dave (lcxu105) thanks also - that diff housing/axle tubes is just what came with the car - can't claim any credit for it but it is a bastard-child of components! I think I might have said; the housing is 60's-80's Bronco/F-Series, the axles are the same, the flange ends are 'Big Style' bolt spacings using a 'New Big Style' profile, and the 11" drums are 1959-61 Customline jobbies!

I've been chipping away at the steering column the last day or so - have it mostly in pieces now - hope I've taken enough photos to put it all back together.

It will need the top and bottom bearings replaced - seems the top one might be an issue having read a few threads on here! Whilst I sort that all out, I will sand blast everything in my little cabinet before painting it all up nice and ready for the re-assembly.

Cheers, TB

#291 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hi Tyre biter.
Thats the way to do it.
I take photos of all parts before i pull them apart and then when i cant remember how it went back together i can look at the pics.

The mini sand blasting cabinet sound like a good idea for the small bits.

#292 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Any issues with your column, go talk to Pete at Capital Steering and Suspension. He rebuilt mine.

Edited by Yella Fella, 15 July 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#293 _greg2240_

_greg2240_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

WOW. Nice job, Do you have the engine yet?

#294 _L31SS HATCH_

_L31SS HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

G'day tb , just read your thread and your doing a top job. I think it takes a bit of courage to have a crack at a resto job like that when you haven't done anything like it before. I know what it's like, I bought a hq coupe as a rolling shell and 3 or 4 boxes. It's not easy but once you get your head around it and with some help from others who have the knowledge and experience eventually it all comes together. Very satisfying feeling knowing your building the car. Keep up the good work, I noticed you haven't updated the thread for a couple of months, hope everything's all good and you can finish the torrie

#295 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hi TB how you going, hows your progress going its looking great, have you worked out what motor yet if so how far off are you keep the updates going .
cheers sting

#296 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Back at it
Yesterday I had a visit come working bee where LX6LTR, myss427 and Redslur gave up their holiday to come by and help.
Just typical of the folks in the CTC and having seen and learned their knowledge first hand - I know there was no way I'd have done this - properly or otherwise!
The car now has wiring through it, door innards are in place including glass, pinch weld, door top vinyl, door cards and new locks - all done and dusted special thanks to Craig and Gerry for this..
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Torana RPA stuff fitted and went in a treat - the RSP stuff (though appreciated) had some issues sorry to report.

All flares and front spoiler now fixed and fitted properly after my poor effort, and vinyl from b-pillar rearward is all done - thanks Brett.
Posted Image

Posted Image

A lot of other things done here and there both yesterday and previously - too many things to mention but this is merely (finally) an update but also a public thank-you to LX6LTR, myss427 and Redslur.

Cheers, TB

#297 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Looking beautiful mate, must give you 11/10 for your spoiler to flare fitting efforts, you can barely see the join in the pic, first glance I thought it was one piece :-/

Love the colour too, credit to you
Cheers

#298 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Looks good.

#299 _Marco72_

_Marco72_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

One shit hot looking tore mate keep up the good work

#300 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Looks fantastic, as the others have said the flare and spoiler fitment is first class.

PS Green's nice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users