- - - - -

Tyre Biter's Hatchback - ETA unknown...

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#301 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

Top job fellas! that flare/spoiler join does look good from that angle! i too thought it was all one piece at first glance.

#302 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Sorry guys,
I've not watched my build thread in ages it seems and so missed your posts.

WOW. Nice job, Do you have the engine yet?

Thanks Greg - very kind of you.
Yep I have an engine...well sort of... Slowly getting parts together. I have the 308 block that came with it (original 253 is long gone). The block had been decked, sleeved and relieved for a stroker but I've decided to stay at 308ci. Also picked up some A9L rods and B cast heads the other week. But I have to admit the engine build is a way off yet.

G'day tb , just read your thread and your doing a top job. I think it takes a bit of courage to have a crack at a resto job like that when you haven't done anything like it before. I know what it's like, I bought a hq coupe as a rolling shell and 3 or 4 boxes. It's not easy but once you get your head around it and with some help from others who have the knowledge and experience eventually it all comes together. Very satisfying feeling knowing your building the car. Keep up the good work, I noticed you haven't updated the thread for a couple of months, hope everything's all good and you can finish the torrie

Thanks for the moral support Marcus - I need it at times!

Hi TB how you going, hows your progress going its looking great, have you worked out what motor yet if so how far off are you keep the updates going .
cheers sting

Thanks Brett - see above to Greg re: engine.
Updates - too many little things which seem inconsequential to bother folks with hence not posting much for a while, but yes, it is coming - maybe another year left to go?

Cheers, TB

#303 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Marc, Pat, Mark, Red Roar and Adrian,
Thanks.
The flares are all down to myss427 - nothing I can lay claim to - truth is he had to go back over all my efforts to date, and the result front and back is just great.
Cheers, TB

#304 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Look what turned up today...

IMG_1988_zps13d46c2e.jpg

Yep, that is 120 litres of Brown Davis' finest - Pretty 'Big Kev' about this part!

Now to work out how to install it...

Very, very nervous about swinging an angle grinder on those rear tank strap brackets which need to be removed because they are so very close to my beautifully painted beaver panel - might have give 'the Renovator' tool a lash (been sitting in my cupboard several months now without use and so worst case scenario I end up ruining a tool which I don't use anyway).

Has anyone any other first-hand experience on what works well and is safe to do when removing these strap tangs?

Also, I got the whole steering column back together (third time) including the ignition this time, and now all is seemingly working perfectly - a first for me that it only took two goes but I have to admit this outcome was thanks to some help from a friend (thanks Dan).

IMG_1989_zpsa5c5db7e.jpg

Finally, isn't this job a PITA to work our how the glove box lid springs are aligned and work on the hinge mechanism - yet again it was Dan to the rescue - anyone have pics they would like to share of the OEM screws and nuts that hold the glovebox lid to these hinges please?

IMG_1990_zps57534ebb.jpg

Cheers, TB

#305 _Lamo_

_Lamo_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

These should be OEM

A08B4626-C1EA-4FBC-889B-BC713690E659-135

1CCA1DFE-2E29-4919-8DBA-E1C3458A00EB-135

#306 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Lamo.

Bummer - they look just like the ones I found in the bottom of a bucket and the screw is too large for the holes in the glove box lid.

Will have to enlargen the holes without marking the lid.

Now to work out how to take a slight curve/bend from the lid.

Cheers, TB

#307 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi Tyre biter,

How long did you have to wait for your tank from Brown Davis? They seem to take forever.

Ps, good work with your car, looks fantastic so far.

cheers

#308 _Lamo_

_Lamo_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Now to work out how to take a slight curve/bend from the lid.

A hot hair dryer and some heavy books.

#309 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hi Tyre biter,

How long did you have to wait for your tank from Brown Davis? They seem to take forever.

Ps, good work with your car, looks fantastic so far.

cheers

Got one held in stock from a local supplier and so can't help with your enquiry sorry, TB

A hot hair dryer and some heavy books.

I thought of weighting it down but wasn't sure if this would create a long-term memory of the plastic.

I like you idea with the hair dryer - might just create a more long-term memory in the plastic - thanks, TB

#310 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

If you succeed let us know how you did it, I've tried a few things including heating etc and no luck as yet

#311 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Perhaps oven on low heat??? Or just get another one off eBay.

#312 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

If you succeed let us know how you did it, I've tried a few things including heating etc and no luck as yet

Will do.

What sort of things and heat sources have you tried to date (don't want to reinvent the wheel as it were)?

Cheers, TB

Perhaps oven on low heat??? Or just get another one off eBay.

Brad - nothing like being the guinea pig hey?

Any suggestions on temp and reasoning behind the same would be appreciated.

Cheers, TB

#313 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Been a while.

Never seemed like anything important enough was done that was worth showing.

Today however I go the new tyres fitted to the Hotwires and just loving it!

285/50 R15 Yokahama on the rear.

225/40 R15 Falken on the front.

Also, engine all but completed by Gary Cheverly of Chev's Performance in Carrum Downs VIC (Melbourne) - Hope to go bring it home soon.

And yes, I know - timing cover and water pump should not have been painted...  :nada:

Cheers, TB

IMG_1310_zps2ae04d46.jpg

IMG_1309_zps8fc309cb.jpg

IMG_0970_zps6881da1c.jpg

#314 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

Very very nice work there Craig  B)  Feel free to post up heaps of pic all round your car mate - it's good to see some of the nice detail put into this car. Amazing  :rockon:

#315 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Good to see you back.

#316 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

This car is very, very attractive. Nice work!

#317 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Nice, the hotwires set it off well

What sort of things and heat sources have you tried to date (don't want to reinvent the wheel as it were)?

(re: glovebox lid) Sorry completely missed this - I've had it sitting in the hot sun with weights on it for hours, also tried using heat gun and trying to push it back into shape. The reinforcing on the back basically holds it in the warped shape, its quite solid.

#318 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thanks guys - appreciate your comments/encouragement.

Nice, the hotwires set it off well

(re: glovebox lid) Sorry completely missed this - I've had it sitting in the hot sun with weights on it for hours, also tried using heat gun and trying to push it back into shape. The reinforcing on the back basically holds it in the warped shape, its quite solid.

That is a bummer - that was everything I had in mind and not game to try the oven as per Hanra's advice - knowing my luck I'd bugger it.

On another note - learned something yesterday that was really helpful - was trying to get the old tint off of the rear screen (demister fitted) and was making a hash of it plus it was evident very early in the piece it was going to take hours.  I rang my local Solartint place and was told to use a steamer to remove the film together with a good quality/fine steel wool (with water) to get any residual glue off.  I have to say; was one of the better bits of advice I have ever gotten - works a treat!  Wish I'd taken before/after photos...

Ordered carpet and a few other things from Boomfunk today - can't wait to get it into the car.

Seats are being re-covered as we speak - has anyone used those seat hinge covers from RSP?

If so - how do you rate them for fit, finish, appearance, etc?

Just that they are pretty expensive and so for that coin I want to be sure I am getting a decent product.

http://www.rarespare...x?product=H1015

Finally, it seems the complaints in a few threads here re: RSP window rubber mylar strips and locking corners has had an effect.

Been taken out of supply for remedy I was told ref: RLS540C Locking strip - front and RLS540E Locking strip rear.

Pity - I wanted to get the screens into the car ASAP.

I have some OEM corners (thanks LX6LTR) - did anyone yet work out if there is any mylar out there to be bought which is correct for both the RSP rubbers and the OEM corners?

Cheers, TB

#319 derrin71

derrin71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Name:Derrin
  • Car:LX Hatchback, Holden Colorado. Mini Clubman S

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I have a set of the seat hinge covers, fit well with no issues. Look good too.

#320 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Derrin - if they pass muster for you and the standard of your build then I am sure they will be fine.

Cheers, TB

#321 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Look what came home today!

Enginehome_zpsd8534843.jpg

Cheers, TB

#322 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:King Loz
  • Car:1976 L31 SS

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hi mate do you wanna swap motors

#323 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Look what came home today!

Enginehome_zpsd8534843.jpg

Cheers, TB

so craig it should be fitted by the morning ha?

#324 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi mate do you wanna swap motors

Wouldn't go near your motor with a ten foot pole Laurie - just way too nuts for this fella.

Have to say though, Gary Cheverly and his boys at Chevs Performance in Carrum Downs (Melbourne) have done it again.

A great workshop who are very keen to learn what you want and then weave their magic to get you there;

http://www.chevsperformance.com.au/

Chevo plays with LS motors mostly nowadays but relishes going 'old school' when the opportunity arises.

The help, care and attention on this build has been great - I sent him a basket-case including several boxes of crap not knowing or appreciating what I had and what was needed, and this came back - I hear he and his team scrounged all sorts of bits for me around the workshop and elsewhere just to get everything they needed and to help with keeping cost down - this sort of outlook is fantastic as far I am concerned.

so craig it should be fitted by the morning ha?

I wish Dave!

Still need to source a few things before installation - exhaust headers, fuel pump and a few other bits and pieces.

Burned all of my coin on body and paint, wheels, the engine and a few other things, and so now I really need to find what I can here and there.

Until I can afford those things it will sit in the corner of the garage sorry to report.

Cheers, TB

#325 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Wouldn't go near your motor with a ten foot pole Laurie - just way too nuts for this fella.
Have to say though, Gary Cheverly and his boys at Chevs Performance in Carrum Downs (Melbourne) have done it again.
A great workshop who are very keen to learn what you want and then weave their magic to get you there;
http://www.chevsperformance.com.au/
Chevo plays with LS motors mostly nowadays but relishes going 'old school' when the opportunity arises.
The help, care and attention on this build has been great - I sent him a basket-case including several boxes of crap not knowing or appreciating what I had and what was needed, and this came back - I hear he and his team scrounged all sorts of bits for me around the workshop and elsewhere just to get everything they needed and to help with keeping cost down - this sort of outlook is fantastic as far I am concerned.

I wish Dave!
Still need to source a few things before installation - exhaust headers, fuel pump and a few other bits and pieces.
Burned all of my coin on body and paint, wheels, the engine and a few other things, and so now I really need to find what I can here and there.
Until I can afford those things it will sit in the corner of the garage sorry to report.

Cheers, TB

i also wasted a lot of good coin on a ve ssv that i have since sold off
feel your pain sort of!
my hatch is re licenced and driveable
ended up bying my 96 caprice back off my brother
2nd best car i've owned 456000km still going
you will get there some day
the LX hatch is the best thing ever built by holden!
keep posting updates
cheers
davemc

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users