Photo

Battery Boxes

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

Is not the boot of a sedan also going to require battery ventilation?

There is no seal between that air space and the cabin.

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:55 PM

havent owned a sedan for a long time but if there is cabin ventilation from the boot to the cabin and vice verse of any car then these rules will apply.

#28 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:30 AM

Hydrogen sulphide gas from batteries is both corrosive and explosive. If not vented to the outside you can end up with a rusted out junker, or if youre a smoker you can potentially blow up the battery when you light a ciggie, making a real mess of everything, including yourself. Even a relay switching on can cause a battery expolsion if the gases are allowed to accumulate in a confined area.
Anyone contemplating putting the battery anywhere in the car (boot area) should also use the correct battery box too, the el-cheapo $15 marine boxes do not comply as they do not seal the box properly, and gases can still escape into the cabin.

#29 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:38 AM

if i had the money i would run a sealed battery, they are smaller by comparison and can be mounted in any position including upside down. you can then maybe mount it closer to the starter, say under the guard, on the passinger side to off set drivers weight, some.
be warned though they are about three to six times the cost, but with new technology they also last longer and perform better, save weight and space, but thats another topic.
also most dont leak, even if punchered or need topping up as they use gel.

Edited by ALX76, 02 June 2006 - 12:44 AM.

#30 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

What is the requirement for venting, would appear that they need to be vented from the top and the bottom.........H2S being heavier than air and H2 being lighter.
How much H2S is actually released in normal battery operation compared to H2?

#31 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

What is the requirement for venting, would appear that they need to be vented from the top and the bottom.........H2S being heavier than air and H2 being lighter.
How much H2S is actually released in normal battery operation compared to H2?

Now we are getting somewere, is this what caused the rust in the first place

#32 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

.........at a guess, any damage under the battery would be battery acid (sulphuric)that has found its way out of the battery, couldnt see that hydrogen sulphide gas could get in high enough concentrations under a vented bonnet.

#33 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:15 PM

DA is right, battery acid eats away at the paint and leaves it very vulnerable to rust. The acid can be from very minor spillage caused by driving on rough roads, over-filling the battery, spilling acid when changing the battery over the years, etc etc.
Hydrogen sulphide gas is corrosive in a confined area, under the bonnet of a car is definately not confined, way too much air movement under there to be of any concern.

#34 _toddy_

_toddy_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

My question is this
I have a hatch and I need a sealed battery box that is vented to the out side of the car. The black cheapo boxes are not sealed and the only sealed ones I can find are morroso items at around 200 bucks doesnt seem practical.
How has evryone else sealed there boxes?
Or are the black boxes ok to use???

#35 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

http://www.dotars.go...t_cop_sec_7.pdf
dont know if this helps, nothing on venting capasity requirement yet.

#36 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

I'd like to make a few points

* It DOES make a difference where you put your battery.
* When you increase the distance and the amount of steel that a DC current has to pass through you WILL increase the resistance in that circuit.
* Using a higher cca battery WILL provide better performance, especially in this situation. And especially when you have a situation where you are cranking for long periods of time.

If you have other concerns such as leakages, then you might consider looking into Gel Cells, although they are more expensive.

#37 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

I dont think GELL cells have a high CCA rating, they are more used in stereo systems where high current is drawn for longer periods of time, i think thats why cars still use lead acid batterys today...CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps were the first 60 seconds of life the battery can give huge amounts of current, but after its initial burst they drop dramaticly, thats why if you leave a flat battery for a few minutes it might start your car again were as a gell cell doesnt have a high CCA.

John

#38 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

LH/LX sedans are vented to the atmosphere (you know, those black things in the rear door jambs). However the boot is not sealed from the cabin properly. Since I'm going to have fuel, nitrous and battery in the boot, i'm going to try to seal it up 100%. I figure, seam sealer on the seals, rubber gromits for any wiring and glue some thick plastic wrap type stuff over the holes along the back seat and under the parcel shelf. (Like how the doors are sealed behind the trims). It'll look a bit ugly, but it'll be better than sniffing fumes.

#39 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Yes, you can seal it up, but perhaps airflow through there is good to keep any moisture from accumulating....rust........or more to the point, any build up of fuel vapors.
The other consideration is that you will need to have a window open if you are going to get good flow through your front vents or through the heater(could be annoying in the cold and the rain) Also keeps things in the boot a little warmer if you have......... the heater on

thats why if you leave a flat battery for a few minutes it might start your car again were as a gell cell doesnt have a high CCA.

Not sure what this is saying, basically all batteries can initially recover with rest, the chemicals are still reacting inside.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 27 June 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#40 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

Yes, you can seal it up, but perhaps airflow through there is good to keep any moisture from accumulating....rust........or more to the point, any build up of fuel vapors.

Well thats what I'm saying, the boot is vented so that shouldn't be a problem right? I don't think airflow matters...

Edited by QIKSLR, 27 June 2006 - 08:18 PM.

#41 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

The boot is vented? How? Those vents on the inside of the rear doors are valves, only allow air to flow in one direction and rely on +ve cabin pressure to open....and some -ve assistance from air going past doorjam.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 27 June 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#42 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

I dont think GELL cells have a high CCA rating, they are more used in stereo systems where high current is drawn for longer periods of time, i think thats why cars still use lead acid batterys today...CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps were the first 60 seconds of life the battery can give huge amounts of current, but after its initial burst they drop dramaticly, thats why if you leave a flat battery for a few minutes it might start your car again were as a gell cell doesnt have a high CCA.

John

http://www.optimabat...034R_082304.pdf

800 CCA.

#43 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:21 PM

WHATS THE COST OF THESE?

#44 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

funny you should ask, i just got a quote today from a syd supplier
720CCA $286 and 800CCA $346. either is reccomended for our type applications.
i know for sure what my next battery is.
AMVM 9833 1900 St Marys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users