A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the attachment, it's close to what i'm playing with at the moment.

But lets go back a step or two, you said you have a tubular front end, would you mind sharing some more info?

#27 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

MCM at Eastern Creek this week.
ill come and say gday im throwing the torrie around in the heritage hot laps im anxious and excited if you no what i mean.

#28 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the attachment, it's close to what i'm playing with at the moment.

But lets go back a step or two, you said you have a tubular front end, would you mind sharing some more info?

Welby its being built out of chrome moly as we speak. So unfortunately I cant show you some photos at the moment. I will show some once we get a few things together. Although solid mounted it uses the same 6 bolt mounting points that a standard KFrame uses. But it is built for coilovers and is basically two pipes that are mandrel bent into an engine cradle between the 4 chassis rail mounting points. Two chrome moly anchor arms then tie the cradle onto the chassis firewall mounting points. Its a very simple setup, its very light (saves about 50-55kgs) and is much stronger than the bulky standard KFrame. It also allows the exhaust to be run much easier and will allow us to run 10" front rims with high amounts of caster/camber via the fully adjustable upper and lwr A arms. We are using one of Lennys pwr racks and a variable flow/pressure Sweet racing pump. Been inquiring about building some carbon fibre panels out of NZ to help shave some more excess fat off the old girl, but don't know if we can get her down to where we want to get her with the basic street trim we still run. We have had a big change of plan with the motor choice and will start with small cubes and carby. Mainly done to keep the old skool feel about the cars look, although that engine will only stay depending on speed results. We have the option to pull the big guns out of storage if we feel its not a scary enough ride.

#29 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:10 AM

It sounds similar to this.

Posted Image

I don't know how you have managed to build a tubular front end that is 50 - 55 kg lighter than the factory setup.

The factory k-frame weighs 20kg, the upper arms weigh 2 kg each and the lowers weight 4 kg (with bushes and ball joints) each giving a total of 32 kg.

#30 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

Once we have the 4 wheel scales back from the east I can be precise, but the front saving calc is comparing the complete front weight with the Kmac springs/shocks,Hz brakes,calipers etc. Savings in the brakes,hats and aluminium hubs is a fair chunk. Once removed and cleaned/sandblasted our KFrame was not 20kgs. The bare Kframe with no bushes, removed engine mounts. no arms etc was sent to the race shop and it weighed in at 26.25kgs on the freight scales. If you look at Clarks 600Hp+ hatch it comes in at under 1000kgs yet is pretty stock besides some carbon.

That photo is a KFrame for a LC/LJ, but its the same design basics and quite similar. Unless you re-frame/re-chassis the whole car you can't deviate from stress points, its no good thinking you can reinvent the wheel without major reworking.

The Toranas biggest problem is where the weight is positioned and weight balance/transfer. Unless you redesign the car you can only ever gain "baby steps" but in speed terms gaining those few extra baby steps over the opposition can mean the difference between a win or loose. I know I have the answer for the handling issues but it means that the only thing that stays Torana will be the shell and hanging panels the rest will have to have major engineering. Much like the time spent they on designing the GT corvette frame except I will do it with a little less of the plumbers nightmare look and more towards Clarks finish. I will do it before I am in the pine box because I have thought about it for 20yrs+ but I am not going to do it half assed and that takes big $

Attached Files

Edited by LXSS350, 31 August 2011 - 02:50 AM.

#31 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

I love the hatch and I like your line of thought, stick with it. :spoton:

#32 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

the vette has my attention

JRs . is that now in austarlia?

#33 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

You are correct the picture is the McDonald Bros LJ tubular front end, the McDonald Bros LH/LX tubular front end is similar.

Once we have the 4 wheel scales back from the east I can be precise, but the front saving calc is comparing the complete front weight with the Kmac springs/shocks,Hz brakes,calipers etc. Savings in the brakes,hats and aluminium hubs is a fair chunk. Once removed and cleaned/sandblasted our KFrame was not 20kgs. The bare Kframe with no bushes, removed engine mounts. no arms etc was sent to the race shop and it weighed in at 26.25kgs on the freight scales.

My UC k-frame weighs 20 kg. Maybe the LX k-frame is made from thicker steel. The LX control arms are made from thicker steel than the UC control arms.

If you add 6.5 Kg to the stock k-frame then the total weight with control arms is 38.5 kg.
Add the stock V8 springs and shocks at 4.5 kg each gives a total weight of 47.5 kg.
Add the Hopper Stoppers 300 mm kit at 35 kg gives a total weight of 82.5 kg. ( I used the Hoppers kit as an arbitrary example of the weight of brakes )
The VT hubs weigh 2 kg so you could pick up a couple kg for the pair by using alloy hubs. The alloy hats will save around 1.5 kg per disc.

The Axistr/Lenny rack is probably heavier than the stock rack.
The stub axles and steering arms are probably heavier than stock Torana.

I just can not see where you are going to find 50 - 55 kg in weight savings in something that weighs around 82.5 kg.

The pressed steel construction is very efficient in terms of strength vs weight.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 31 August 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#34 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

You are correct the picture is the McDonald Bros LJ tubular front end, the McDonald Bros LH/LX tubular front end is similar.

My UC k-frame weighs 20 kg. Maybe the LX k-frame is made from thicker steel. The LX control arms are made from thicker steel than the UC control arms.

I just can not see where you are going to find 50 - 55 kg in weight savings in something that weighs around 82.5 kg.

The pressed steel construction is very efficient in terms of strength vs weight.

Its an engineers estimate, we don't physically have the new tubular ft end to accurately digitally weigh with the race scales. How much do two 1.5mtr 2" chrome molly bars weigh (20kg)? Looking at the McDonalds web site they don't have an LX listing, but for the smaller LJ front end they say its "Approx 40 kg lighter than the standard front end, Can be supplied lighter for race application".

LJ is certainly a smaller ft end than an LX, so give or take a bit perhaps we will save 48.295kgs???

Actually I disagree perhaps for mass production the pressed steel construction might be fine (for a light stress street car) but its inefficient, cumbersome in design and flexes far too much. This is why all the race teams of the time plated and strengthened the base. Chrome moly tubing on the other hand is very efficient, light weight, very strong and a simplistic material in stress areas where rigidity is required.. How many forms of motor sport use chrome moly framing rather than pressed steel?

Rogered
No he is still chasing sheep and keeping the lights on over there!!! LOL

#35 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

If you ring McDonald Bros they will build the LH/LX tubular front suspension. I don't know how McDonald Bros claim their LJ tubular suspension is 40 kg lighter than stock either.

If the heaviest stock front suspension setup including heavier aftermarket brakes weighs around 80 kg then a 50 kg weight reduction by using Chromoly, alloy hubs and hats is not possible. The brake discs will weigh around 20 kg which leaves 10 kg for everything else. (k-frame, control arms, springs, shocks, ball joints, stub axles, hubs).

3m of 2" x 0.12" Chromoly tube weighs around 11 kg.

Chromoly tube will be used to replace the factory k-frame that weigh 20 - 26.6 kg and the factory control arms that weigh 12 kg including ball joints and bushes. If the Chromoly k-frame and control arms with ball joints and bushes come in under 18 kg then you would have to be extremely pleased with the result and will have saved 14 kg over the UC setup.

When the Chromoly suspension is finished you can put it on the scales and let us know how it worked out.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 31 August 2011 - 01:56 PM.

#36 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

If you were going to that extreme, could always go with carbon brake rotors as well...imagine they would be somewhat lighter than steel.

When saving weight over rules costs...I could imagine all the inovative things someone could come up with..

And by the way....the grey color hatch above is unreal! Very nice...

#37 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

The original statement was that replacing the factory front end with a Chromoly front end saved around 50-55 kg. I think this is impossible because the factory k-frame and control arms weigh between 32 - 38.5 kg. Modifying the brakes should not really come into the equation as the brake modifications could also be done with the factory front end.

It appears the weigh savings estimates were based on the McDonald Bros dubious claim that their LJ tubular front end is 40 kg lighter than the factory LJ front end.

Welby its being built out of chrome moly as we speak. So unfortunately I cant show you some photos at the moment. I will show some once we get a few things together. Although solid mounted it uses the same 6 bolt mounting points that a standard KFrame uses. But it is built for coilovers and is basically two pipes that are mandrel bent into an engine cradle between the 4 chassis rail mounting points. Two chrome moly anchor arms then tie the cradle onto the chassis firewall mounting points. Its a very simple setup, its very light (saves about 50-55kgs) and is much stronger than the bulky standard KFrame.

#38 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

If you ring McDonald Bros they will build the LH/LX tubular front suspension. I don't know how McDonald Bros claim their LJ tubular suspension is 40 kg lighter than stock either.

When the Chromoly suspension is finished you can put it on the scales and let us know how it worked out.

Perhaps they (McDonalds) don't have scales? (guessimation)
I tell you when we get it all back with the very accurate scales that we uses to balance the car. I didn't sit down a weigh it as it was still in the car. Hence why I asked for the aprox weight of a bare Kframe on this forum. I think it may even have been you that said it was 20kgs (Ive never weighed one) besides what freight co said it could be 10kgs for all I know.

Personally I think the front end with HX brakes etc is heavier than 80kg, but that is just a guess. Not even sure the freight scales are accurate enough, but unfortunately our accurate race scales are with another race car, so I can only take the "engineers estimate".

Make no doubt regardless if its 1kg or 100kgs the weight saving is very important, but in Ive had Toranas for 30yrs+ and honestly the std KFrame and its design is a total POS. The new tube frame will add rigidity and strength which is far more vital, along with the reduction in upsprung weight and coilovers makes this change a handling bonanza compared to the dinosaur factory setup. We are looking at magnesium wheels for further savings but running these on the street is not recommended.

Edited by LXSS350, 31 August 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#39 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

If you were going to that extreme, could always go with carbon brake rotors as well...imagine they would be somewhat lighter than steel.

When saving weight over rules costs...I could imagine all the inovative things someone could come up with..

Jeff Carbon brakes will definitely be on the next one but that car will be a whole different ball game than one which is stuck to the std Torana chassis.

#40 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

I tell you when we get it all back with the very accurate scales that we uses to balance the car. I didn't sit down a weigh it as it was still in the car. Hence why I asked for the approx weight of a bare Kframe on this forum. I think it may even have been you that said it was 20kgs (Ive never weighed one) besides what freight co said it could be 10kgs for all I know.

Personally I think the front end with HX brakes etc is heavier than 80kg, but that is just a guess. Not even sure the freight scales are accurate enough, but unfortunately our accurate race scales are with another race car, so I can only take the "engineers estimate".

It was me that weighed the k-frame for you. If you want the weight of an UC k-frame with HQ discs, HQ stubs and Harrop steering arms I can weigh it for you as I have one sitting on the bench. The setup with the Hoppers 300 mm brakes comes in at 76 kg, the HQ brakes will weigh less. I also have mild steel 1" x 3/16" tubular control arms, coilover shocks, standard LX control arms, standard UC control arms, LX stubs, HQ car stubs, HZ one tonner stubs and a variety of brakes sitting on the bench.

There are many advantages of the setup you are building however the weight reduction will be the least significant of them.

#41 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

Absolutely..... it go's without saying we are not doing it just for the weight. Its more about fast around corners.

Lets be real Toranas are very poorly designed and very poorly built.
Hell I would say my little 1.8litre twin cam corolla would (in most performance areas) probably beat a standard A9X .... the so called supercar of the Torana range.
Just doesn't look as good as any of our Hatches.

The next Hatch is radical and will only resemble a Torana from the outside. It will be purpose built and be nothing like anything that Holden have built. Building this one is like having one leg in a 100mtr sprint race. But we are stuck with the design limitations. New magnum box turned up from the USA today.

Attached Files

Edited by LXSS350, 31 August 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#42 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

actually wash my mouth out with soap in advance my missus old hyundai excel used to get round the bends on menangle road quicker than my hatch .pure heracy isnt it. :wtf:

#43 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:56 PM

Shhhhh. Lets just keep things on the quiet some paid $300k for an A9X and want to remember magazine articles like The ultra power struggle - A giant killer meets the White Pointer. The A9X went on to blister the 0-400mtrs in 16.4sec with a best time of 15.9sec. 0-160kph took a mind numbing 22.9 sec. From 100kph it took 39.1mtrs to stop which they said was world class. Hot lap of Calder park in a world beating 57.2sec. Power to weight 8kgs per kw. Dreams are made of stuff like this.

Is it any wonder most where hotrodded?

Imagine what Clarkson would say driving that around the top gear track. Some say "Hell" the Stig could run faster than that thing. LOL

Edited by LXSS350, 31 August 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#44 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:25 AM

Jeff Carbon brakes will definitely be on the next one but that car will be a whole different ball game than one which is stuck to the std Torana chassis.

When I was sorting out my 360mm rotors, I was talking alot to a mate who works at a large Mercedes dealership and he was kidding me that I should skip the SL55 rotors and just go right to the carbon ones for the SLR...ha ha. (they have all the different rotors in stock at his dealership and was handy to compare measurments.)

And by the way, bang for the buck...it is hard to beat the SL55/E55/SL600 ones I used...360 x 36mm, factory drilled and around $165 each right from Mercedes. But..they were around 27 pounds each from memory, plenty of mass to dissipate heat at least I suppose.

Edited by LS1 Hatch, 01 September 2011 - 02:28 AM.

#45 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:05 AM

At the moment the plan is to run the ZR1/ new Z06 Carbon units. But that's a long time away at the moment because of complicated issues with the cars frame. The aim is 50/50 weight and front and rear suspension that works together not fights each other. We will see it could end up being an expensive white elephant but half the fun is playing around with stuff. Back in my day I was extremely fascinated with Paul Halstead and his Giocattolo project and that was what really got me looking at my hatch in a far different way. It then became obvious I could never move forward while it was tied down to the physical design limitations inbuilt.

#46 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

For those that have messaged me about the Giocattolo. I spent quite a bit of time talking to designer Barry Lock about suspension design, as I was looking to redesign the Toranas poor factory suspension. He is a very talented and gifted man and he influenced my thinking a lot on suspension. Funny how visionaries are so ahead of the pack while at the time people ridicule that vision ..... yet you find the industry eventually follows what they where doing decades before.

Yes that is a modified VN vintage GpA 304 engine.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Giocattolo

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users