• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

Nice work, some good combos on here.

#177 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:19 PM

I thought I'd pitch in with more of a basic budget set up (or beginners if you'd prefer) that I'm running in my LH, the idea was to build an engine that was reliable as a cruiser but still could get up and party when around town.

-Engine is a 75' 11QT engine with pre pollution heads.
-.060 thou over
-Standard crank/rods/pistons all balanced as best as possible.
-Zero decked block
-Standard rebuilt heads with gas inserts
-Factory pre pollution inlet manifold (HQ version)
-Fully rebuilt 780cfm Quadrajet (tuner believes best carb for street use and I completely agree)
-Mild cam with a few little requests from the engine builder (will post spec sheet below)
-9.4:1 comp
-HEI commodore ignition
-Tuned by an expert tuner and all round Holden guru Anthony Dove (seriously, dude is shit hot, you need to see him)

Achieved a total of 185Kw @ 5500 to the wheels, best guesses of 320Hp to the flywheel (car is running Trimatic with standard torque converter and a 3.08 banjo diff)

Doesn't sound like much but the response of the car thanks to the tune and the snappy nature of the quadrajet makes all the difference in the world to me, great fun to drive around and perfect for someone who can't afford or even doesn't want a big powered 308.

Cam sheet

IMAG0022_zpsqymm7ql7.jpg

#178 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

Your engine goes to show how a basic engine set up well can deliver plenty of street power :-)

#179 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

My first 308 had, efi heads with a clean up, 10.5-1 comp,
Solid falt tappet 540 lift cant recall duration and lobe seperation now, active single plane manifold, standard crank, 2 bolt mains(studded), vn rods, off the shelf piston, great little engine.
Made 340 rwhp.

#180 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hi guys just an update on my combo. Just to update it is a stock stroke bottom end, .060 over, flat top pistons, HQ red heads l34 spec, 5803 solid cam and a 750do holley. One of the changes made was to remove the 2" hvh spacer and fitted a 1" hvh spacer which made a little difference. Since last post have added a cold intake tray, a bonnet scoop and just some tuning.Also had to make some changes to the car, changed rear springs and couple of tweaks to the front end. Have managed to get a new pb of [email protected] at Willowbank.

That is getting along ! Great work Bob, keep flying that stock stroke flag !

#181 _sloper_

_sloper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Goodaye all

Plan, plan and did l say plan.

Ok now l have said that,

Work out what you budget is?

Work out what you want to do with this car? (what rev range do you want the HP or best tourqe)

How much power does it need?

How much fuel  do you want to use?

Then

Is it drivable?

Is it reliable?

Can l afford to lunch the motor? (try and get warrenty on a big HP motor)

Its supprising the amount of guys moan about the fact there big HP motor is a pig to start, runs hot, wont start hot, never runs right, breaks things all the time.

l build my own stuff with these things in mind, not huge horsepower or bright shinny things.

But they do start first go and are reliable.

Oh and l am sure on a lot of dyno runs the customer satisfaction  switch is on.

regards Bruce

#182 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

For any street car, my advice would be never chase a number, chase the feeling/driveability/reliability. Leave the number as a nice surprise.
Personally I'm more interested in getting my transmission, suspension, brakes and steering set up right so that the car is enjoying to drive.

#183 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

Your right sloper, when you modify, there is always a compromise, improve one thing, could be bad in another way.
Choosing the correct trans combination and diff ratio is much bigger thing than most people realize.
The trans/gearbox can make an average engine,
awesome.
Just spending big money on only an engine is not the answer, thats my experience.

#184 _sloper_

_sloper_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

Goodaye all

When the Grp3 engine was dynoed it got 180kw at the wheels, idled perfect and sounded stock (for a Brock)

Told the Aussie 4 speed would last a month, that was 15 years ago, still good.

l dont light the tyres up when letting the clutch out, but once its out its pedal to the medal.

Has a 286 cam, B cast heads little extra port work and 10:1 compression, regraphed dizzy and tuned quadrajet.

Economical, reliable and fun.

The wagon pushed 129kw with a 283 Chev

Power pack heads with big valves, narrow runners and 9.5:1 compression, quadrajet on a edelbrock manifold.

Very torqey, not bad for the wifes car.

The Sloper 29hp at the wheels, exactley what the manual said, not bad for a 76 year old.

The Magnum was embarrasing 99kw with gas.

l have since regraphed the dizzy and cleaned up the gas intake, havent dynoed it but it is better.

Comes to life on petrol.

regards Bruce

#185 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Goodaye all

When the Grp3 engine was dynoed it got 180kw at the wheels, idled perfect and sounded stock (for a Brock)
Told the Aussie 4 speed would last a month, that was 15 years ago, still good.
l dont light the tyres up when letting the clutch out, but once its out its pedal to the medal.
Has a 286 cam, B cast heads little extra port work and 10:1 compression, regraphed dizzy and tuned quadrajet.
Economical, reliable and fun.

The wagon pushed 129kw with a 283 Chev
Power pack heads with big valves, narrow runners and 9.5:1 compression, quadrajet on a edelbrock manifold.
Very torqey, not bad for the wifes car.

The Sloper 29hp at the wheels, exactley what the manual said, not bad for a 76 year old.

The Magnum was embarrasing 99kw with gas.
l have since regraphed the dizzy and cleaned up the gas intake, havent dynoed it but it is better.
Comes to life on petrol.

regards Bruce

I heard similar things, I've been told from a reliable source that the VN commodore Brock drove back in the day only had around 420-450hp at the wheels (depending on track, altitude etc), goes to show that the number is only a small part of the whole package, even in race cars!

#186 _sloper_

_sloper_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

If you want a real good laugh Brock VL Grp A's consistently pull 125 killer wasps on the dyno.

Brock Vh and Vk around 135-140

Brock strokers 180

l like to stir Grp A owners the wifes wagon has more power.

Cant stop or turn but who cares its got class.

regards Bruce

#187 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

There is a vk in the US, new york area.
Likes to hit the track, they made fun of him, then smoked most of them haha

#188 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

CAUTION....... Thread mine !

I have posted this combo on Aussie V8 but for those that don't frequent that site it fits in well with this thread.

I have recently finished a stock stroke HQ headed 308 for myself. I really wanted a grumpy, old-school, high revving thing that would upset small children and the elderly. More importantly it had to be basic, no exotic parts, just simple enough so anyone could build something similar. Most importantly it had to be cheap !

The block and crank are actually antique HP castings I purchased as a short for $200. It was already 060 over. I honed the block, fitted some old ACL Flat Top pistons with supplied rings, a set of resized A9L rods with ARP bolts and polished the crank. Anticipating a bit of a rev I got it all balanced. The block was decked to right on zero clearance at TDC. I did do a few minor oil gallery modifications and rebuilt a standard 304 oil pump. Cam is a solid flat tappet by Clive Cams in Melbourne. 260° @ 050 with about 0.595" lift on both lobes, lobe separation is set at 105° and installed with the intake centreline at 102° ATDC. Timing set is a Rollmaster, lifters are Sealed Power cheapies.

The heads are an old set of HQ castings that had already had VN valves fitted (same size as L34). I did pay someone with more of a clue than I a few hundred dollars to port these for me, nothing flash just some tidy bowl and chamber work and cut about 0.040" off the faces. Springs are 1.460" diameter duals with matching retainers. The heads were machined for screw in studs and guide plates and utilize a second hand set of YT rockers. The Intake is an Edelbrock Torker that I spent a few hours going over the plenum and runner entries and giving it a basic port match. Carby is an old BG 650 on top of a 2" open spacer. Dizzy is a regraphed Bosch HEI from a VH Commodore. Compression ended up at 11.4:1.

Just to clarify, the only new items used in this build were the pistons, rings, rod bearings (I reused the mains), cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, oil pan and gaskets. Everything else was lying around or purchased second hand.

I put it on the engine dyno at Westend in Sydney for cam run in and a quick tune. With a brand new set of Pacemaker 1 3/4" 4:1 pipes with a 3" collector it made 440HP at 7200rpm and 375 ftlb at 5400rpm. Unfortunately these pipes don't fit my car so I also dynoed a set of Pacemaker 1 5/8" Tri Y pipes with a 2" choke and 2 1/2" collector. These pipes picked up torque below the peak but knocked 11HP off the top, peaking a bit earlier at 6200rpm so obviously a restriction. Before fitting it to the car I cut some of the choke point out of the Tri Y pipes, making it more like 2 1/4", in a bid to pick up a bit more top end.

The motor came home and got fitted to my HJ sedan with an 8" 5500 convertor, Powerglide and 4.11 BW diff. An exhaust was fabricated that was 2 1/2" from the collectors into a single 3" Hooker Aerochamber muffler just in front of the diff. I made a 2 1/2" tailpipe that extended from the muffler, under the diff and out the back in the standard location. I found a set of 26x8.5 ET Drag slicks that were about 50% tread and headed to WSID to see how it went.

With the 2 1/2" tailpipe fitted it went 12.1 at 109 MPH. I immediately ripped the tailpipe off and lined up again were the car responded with a string of 11.8's at 113 MPH. More than happy with that I drove it back on the trailer and towed it home.

For what it's worth that day was 34°, the car may go even faster on a cooler day. I also weighed it at the track, 1507.5Kg with me in it. Gearing could be even lower, it only crossed the line at about 6200rpm.

Anyway..... Mission accomplished ! The car sounds ridiculously grumpy, goes like a train and still cruises around town quite well. I couldn't be happier !

Edited by Struggler, 02 December 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#189 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

Is there a part number for that cam Struggler?

#190 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Is there a part number for that cam Struggler?

Yep, it's a 379B

#191 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

You have a knack of getting the best out of not much.

#192 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

You have a knack of getting the best out of not much.

Thanks Brett !

#193 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

While this thread is getting updated, had my engine out for a rebuild this year.
1 new little end, new bearings, rings, timing chain, new valve springs.
Went to rebuild the trusty 650 carb, manage to strip a screw, oh well my fault, not a thread that is easy to repair so made 1 carb out of 2 as i had a 750 sitting around(was given to me) which had some bad parts in it.
All back together and on the dyno, had to play with the carb a bit, the little 308 pushed out 444hp at 7100rpm on the hub dyno.
With the bigger carb and my setup doesnt seem to feel like i have lost any drivabilty, i fact on my setup feels like i have another approx 200-300rpm more usable range.
Very happy with the old girl.

#194 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Big revs for peak power there, must be a very aggressive cam. To think back when the A9X's were racing they had a hard time getting 400 hp out of them. 

#195 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Good to see some updates finally. Now that I have finished my stroker engine, I am going to do a 308 as well. I am also going a non stroked 308 with HQ heads. I already have most of the parts to go but need pistons, rods and a few other small bits and pieces. I also want an old skool grumpy engine and the cam I will be using is a COME racing solid at about 256@50".  Hoping to get 400+ out of this sucker too using a torker manifold with mild port HQ heads :-).

Good work Struggler! I am a novice compared to you when it comes to engine building but over the last few years have had some good success with 355's and 308's.  Hope I can get this one right too :-). 

#196 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

Camshaft is a solid roller crow duration 252/260 @50
596 lift 108 lsa
Its grumpy but quite drivable, been a targa/race car must work well with the foot pinned in top gear aswell as dealing with peak hour traffic to get to a targa show and shine.
Also gets driven in temps from -2 to 40 degrees.
When cam first fitted it made 345rwhp, been working on making everything more efficent, manifolds, carby and generally the car aswell.
Wont lie been hard work at times, holdens have there issues.

#197 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Camshaft is a solid roller crow duration 252/260 @50
596 lift 108 lsa
Its grumpy but quite drivable, been a targa/race car must work well with the foot pinned in top gear aswell as dealing with peak hour traffic to get to a targa show and shine.
Also gets driven in temps from -2 to 40 degrees.
When cam first fitted it made 345rwhp, been working on making everything more efficent, manifolds, carby and generally the car aswell.
Wont lie been hard work at times, holdens have there issues.

Looks like you have nailed the combo! I think the easy part is building the motor, the hard bit is getting it to work.

#198 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

I am pretty happy with it.
Always will be someone with more power, more something.
Shows the little 308 does have potential.
Will say the wngine is only as good as some of the parts its attached to, clutches, gearboxes, diffs can help make a good engine great.

#199 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

I love how people are still playing with them proving all the doubters wrong. Bet there is more 308's in boats than Ford engines.  Chevs maybe a different thing though.

Go the old 308/304....

#200 TK383

TK383

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Blue one

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Crap photo, can't find a better one tho:

38235844045_b1f37fe8ae_k.jpg20161029_073533 by tony knight, on Flickr

24256940107_76dd8046ae_k.jpgjason 365 dyno by tony knight, on Flickr

All red motor, red block & HQ casting iron heads, 365 cubes, roller cam, dry sump, E85 - hillclimb/circuit race engine.

Was only pulling 3" of vac with the dry sump on that dyno pull - had a vac leak from a rocker cover, now pulling 10" vac so will be up a handful of HP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users