driveline vibration

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

having troubles narowing down a vibration. had a banjo and original taishaft through a trimatic, had no problems at any speed, changed to borgwarner an had a 3" tail shaft built. now cruising at 100km theres a vibration coming through the seat, and when pushed at full throttle out past 140km it creates a kind of knocking vibration which gets worse the faster you go, have had the wheels rebalanced a couple times, the tailshaft has been checked by the original builder an another shop who straightened and re-balanced again also tightend the rear uni. have put new engine mounts an gearbox crossmember mount. have purchased adjustable top control arms an have been playing with pinion angles but nothing has fixed it yet, other things i have noticed is there is a fair bit of play in the rear extension bush but it didn't effect it with old shaft but will probably replace it any way. thinking about removing the axles again to check for bend, i machined the axles to suit banjo brakes and they didn't seem bent, but will check it any way,

what sort of pinion agle should i roughly be running, the gearbox is on a 3 degree angle down and have tried anything from -1 to +4 on the diff angle,

any one had same problem, any help will be apprecciated

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

The extension bush could be the culprit. If you can move it a bit, there could be internal wear in the yoke. it might pay to replave both items, as both could cause a vibration. As far as the pinion angle is concerned, if the gearbox hangs down 3 degrees, the diff should point up 1 degree. that way, under load thwe diff will poke up an extra 2 degrees and therefore make the two angles paralell. Assuming you have rubber bushes in good nick in the rear suspension..

#3 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

yeah the yoke is brand new and feels good on the output shaft. so will be changing that bush soon. how much clearence you think it should have to the yoke, there is all new rubber bushes in the trailing arms so its pretty firm, cheers

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

The bush is to hold the output shaft and yoke steady. If it starts moving around, it can potentially cause a vibration. Change the extension housing seal while your at it, they're only a couple of bucks and easy to change with the housing off. If you haven't changed it recently, that is.

#5 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

chased the same thing in my first torana when I fitted a 4 speed, changed unis, tailshaft, was still there.

It was the bush in the back of the box, if yours has slop change it.

The heavier tailshaft would be the reason it has suddenly started th viabrate

#6 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

yeah thanks chopper will be changing the bush soon, Nemo355 was thinkin about that too. going from a 2 3/4" to a 3" thicker wall shaft with the extra weight.thanks guys will get the bush an seal changed soon an let ya's know, any idea on clearance the yoke should have in the bush.thanks again guys

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Clearance should be minimal, but i don't believe there is an actual specification for it.

#8 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

its been a while but ended up replaceing the bush in the extension housing with a new one, it made no difference and still had heaps of clearance, so ended up making one and gave it .003" clearance which is a fair bit less the the other, downside to this was it didn't help either, have tried different wheels and tyres, nope not that either, can't think of much else that i can do so prob gonna be taking it out and send it too a diff shop to be checked for true and make sure i didn't mess any thing up whilst putting it together, not that there is much inside a diff, if any one think of any thing else to check before i tear it out would be apprecciated

#9 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

its been a while but ended up replaceing the bush in the extension housing with a new one, it made no difference and still had heaps of clearance, so ended up making one and gave it .003" clearance which is a fair bit less the the other, downside to this was it didn't help either, have tried different wheels and tyres, nope not that either, can't think of much else that i can do so prob gonna be taking it out and send it too a diff shop to be checked for true and make sure i didn't mess any thing up whilst putting it together, not that there is much inside a diff, if any one think of any thing else to check before i tear it out would be apprecciated

also have ppulled the axles and fully machined them true to clean, they did have slight bend but would probably been just in the casting. .

#10 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

what sort of pinion agle should i roughly be running, the gearbox is on a 3 degree angle down and have tried anything from -1 to +4 on the diff angle,

any one had same problem, any help will be apprecciated

Did you measure the angle from the pan or the ext housing? Should be done from the end of the housing , and you would need to find out the angle your tailshaft is at compared to the box to find out what your working angle is at, then it will give you an idea of what your diff angle should be at. The two working angles from the front and back should cancel each other out. There was another thread with alot of input that may help more too, click here

http://www.gmh-toran...on-in-lx-hatch/

Did you change diff ratio as well? because the vibration your feeling say at 100kph may have been there before but at a higher speed just not as noticable as you werent cruising at higher speeds. That was my problem when i went to 4:11's and we eventually sorted it with angles but yours could be different.
We also had a brand new tailshaft and it had a bad uni which need to be changed again, dodgy one? eitherway the vibration if bad enough can quickly ruin your unis.
It may not be angles in your car but i went through everything and in the end it was my problem.

Another thing to check is when accelerating and deceleration what changes happen? If vibration gets worse or more during accel then diff angle needs to come down and if it gets worse during deceleration then diff angle needs to point up more

#11 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

took angle from rear gearbox housing, come up at -3 degrees so started with the diff flange at +3, and have been playing from there, vibration is definately getting worse the faster it goes, and is speed related not rev, didn't ever drive it with any other gears so never had a vibration. was wondering if possible bent housing tube could make this kind of vibration with bearings not seating properlyor something along that, one axle has slight end play as well, a mate has same conversion an has the same, one axle firm in bearing the other has end play an he has not probs to 130mph so not sure if that would be anything to worry about, diff is in pieces at the moment not to hard to put back together was gonna get housing checked to make sure not bent/twisted. thanks for input SS Hatchback

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Can you run the car on blocks without axles to see if you still have a vibration. (You will need to seal the diff tubes.)

The diff pinion will turn up somewhere between 1 to 3 degrees depending on the suspension bushes and load. If the gearbox is down 3 degrees then somewhere around 1 degrees up at the pinion should be right.

Are you measuring the angles at ride height?

#13 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

bit of an update but took the diff in to aussies diff down at currumbin, worked out that both tubes where pulled in giving big toe in so guessing at higher speeds the tires where fighting one another, also said that the studs were not perfectly central giving the tyre a hop. hopefully this is it.

#14 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

keep us updated

#15 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

bit of an update but took the diff in to aussies diff down at currumbin, worked out that both tubes where pulled in giving big toe in so guessing at higher speeds the tires where fighting one another, also said that the studs were not perfectly central giving the tyre a hop. hopefully this is it.

Crikey, which tard did that fine work for you?

#16 _Moose lc_

_Moose lc_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm definitely not an expert, but could it be your fly wheel? Just asking because I have heard of, and seen, some fly wheel bolts come loose to the point of falling out. Not pretty! If 1 or more of yours have come loose, even a little bit, this "might" be the culprit. I think that for the sake of dropping the box for a quick look it just might save you chasing your tail from the rear of the box back. Could still be related to the extra load from the bigger shaft, but not in the way everybody has been thinking. Just mho, but like I said, it's worth a look.

Moose

#17 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

yeah its auto but know what you mean, have had flexplate bolts come loose on last motor had more of a rattle than vibration, have checked them still all tight.
cheers for input

#18 73TORANA!

73TORANA!

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Name:Geoff

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

I had a similar problem on my LJ ( BANGO ) I changed tailshafts had it all balanced , even ran it on stands with no axles in it .
It turned out to be that the new uni's were a metric equivalent of the old original imperial and they were causing a slight runout of the tail shaft at the diff end .
Fixed by pin punching the inner face of the yoke where the uni cup sits just near where the circlip meets EVENLY ON BOTH SIDES OF THE YOKE to tighten up the uni end float . Result no vibes at all even at 200kph on the strip. before the rear vison mirror drooped from the vibe . Hope this helps .

#19 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

I just solved my vibration as well, as there are so many variances in my car LX SL/R with LS1, T56 and Borg Warner diff. I just thought it was something wrong with the conversion. I changed Engine, Gearbox angle, Pinion angle, tail shaft and the company that did the diff replaced the centre and pinion twice. I thought it was never going to solve the issues to be smooth and noise free. This week I bit the bullet and took it to an engineering place to check the housing, axles etc (thanks Struggler for the advice) and yes bent housing and very ordinary bearings poor lashing of the diff. Just an absolutely crap job. So my now “gold plated" diff is how it should have been in the first place. One thing I have learnt doing up (restoring) a car, is there are many businesses who will take your money and not deliver.

Anyway, happy to hear your issues were solved as well..

Cheers

Mark

#20 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

well bit of an update, got the diff back from the shop, whacked it back in and damn 145-160 the vibration is still there but at 100 its good, and now its got a whine around 80-90, not too bad but for some reason it wasn't that bad before, any one got any more ideas, don't think its the balance in the engine, and it never did it with the 3.9s in the banjo when i ran them, old mate from the shop said that the stud pattern on the axle we could salvage out of the last diff was a bit out but said it more than likely not enough to be a problem but will have to now look into it. also set pinion angle to -2 as was informed it should be -2 to -3.

#21 73TORANA!

73TORANA!

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi NYS71 have you read my post on march 23 , Have you checked for end play of the uni's , even new ones , any float or end play of the uni's will cause a rumble of the shaft at hi rpm . Mine would change with load on and load off ( power ) and foot on clutch and rolling at 140- 160 it would be realy violent and as soon as the clutch was slowly engaged it would come good until the clutch was totaly released . All this was caused by the end play in the uni's mind you it was only about 10 thou but you could feel it when moving the shaft by hand up and down . A bit harder to pick at the gear box end because of the output shaft bush but even that can cause it it to sloppy but as you said it was ok with the other set up . check that the dif yoke is true ,rotate the shaft and check the runout .

Hope this helps , my hair is only starting to come back but now it grey....

#22 _NYS 71_

_NYS 71_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

hey 73Torana sorry didn't reply sooner but yes did check over uni's and they seem to be in good nick. just this week i took the axle with the worst stud pattern runout into work, re welded it, machined it and re-drilled it (for the 3rd time) and am very suprised how much better the wheel looks while the car is running up on stands, considering i've had two professional shops do it and they didn't get it right, so the other axle will come out for the same re-drill, i figure i might as well redo there shit, so i can know that its done properly and can rule it out if the vibration is still there hopefully not, but heres to hoping.

#23 73TORANA!

73TORANA!

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I feel for you , there is nothing more frustrating than getting profesionals and pay top dollar to a job for you and its worse than when they started.
Over the year's I have learnt to do as much as i can myself and if I have to get someone else I'm very sceptical and do a lot of reasearch. I had an engine issue with cam bearings and twice the shop said it was all good and blamed me for lack of oil, the 3rd time i went to another shop and they checked the block and said the jurnals were out for the cam . They line honed the cam jurnals and all is now good ,the original shop dismissed the idea .
It sounds like you can get your hands on some tools to do the job .

Just a thought have you run it on stands without the wheels on , don't know how safe it would be though.

We had profesionals do our bathroom 6 moths later the shower leaked so i gutted it and did it myself , 2 year on still good.

good luck it sound like your on the home strech .

#24 biga064

biga064

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I had a similar problem on my LJ ( BANGO ) I changed tailshafts had it all balanced , even ran it on stands with no axles in it .
It turned out to be that the new uni's were a metric equivalent of the old original imperial and they were causing a slight runout of the tail shaft at the diff end .
Fixed by pin punching the inner face of the yoke where the uni cup sits just near where the circlip meets EVENLY ON BOTH SIDES OF THE YOKE to tighten up the uni end float . Result no vibes at all even at 200kph on the strip. before the rear vison mirror drooped from the vibe . Hope this helps .

Any more info on what you mean dont quite get what your saying ?? thanks

#25 73TORANA!

73TORANA!

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hi Adam , I give it a shot , on mine when the uni's were new and all the circlips fitted , the trunion ( the uni cross piece ) could move up and down inside the cups ( not in a twisting movement but vertically ). you could tap the cups in a but further to tighten it up ( this is on the diff yoke with the "U" bolts) but after couple of good flog the caps would move back out until stopped by the circlips and the vibe would return , I tried to get slightly thicker clips but could only get ones that made the uni too tight . So on the macined radius area where the uni sits i put 3 center punch dints equaly spaced arond the radius , about 1 mm away from the face where the circlip sits , the center punch marks made small raised section appear on the face of the yoke where the circlip sits , this effectively pulls the uni caps in a little . NOTE don't get too carried away with the punch as you only a couple of thou on each side of the yoke , Also try to make each punch hit as accurate as you can to keep it equal on both sides.The uni should have only slight resistance when sliding it onto the yoke , if too tight gently file the punched rased areas equaly on both side for a nice snug fit , not loose, tighten "U" bolts an check for end play What you want to accieve is to have each uni cap seating a little further in the yoke to keep the trunion from moving up and down inside te cups I.E keep it running true .

I have only ever needed to do this on the dif yoke and was told by a tailshaft dood that its because of manufacturing tollerances from to old imperial uni's to the average metric ones that you get now , he said the F100 utes are natorious for this.

let me know if its not all that clear and i'll dig out a yoke and take some pix

Geoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users