Photo

XU-1 Brake Booster Dates

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

That is interesting. They must have been done in a single run. Same same the 1971 cars, as it looks like 22-1-71 was the date for them. Must have done them in prep for the Feb/Mar/Apr batch of cars.

Yes the boosters do seem to be in batches, this makes perfect sense as these as 1971- 3 boosters were only fitted to XU-1's as far as I know, and like all out sourced componets, in this case from Bendix and PBR under licence, they were ordered in individual batches.

I suspect that there will only be a set number of dates for all XU-1's, ( perhaps 4 ) some of this is covered already, we just need more dates and we can work out the batch dates.

Most XU-1 specific parts like diff, carbies, radiators, boosters and some others will be in batches because these parts were not generally fitted to other models.

I have not been able to work out why the check valve hole sizes vary, but think the 6cys had the small hole so the air rush didn't kill the motor at idle, and the large hole for the V8, but I am open to suggestions on this?

Mike

#52 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

AFAIK the only boosters fitted to XU1s at the factory were the VH317 (up to 7/71) & VH324 (7/71 onwards).

There are other numbers off early HK (relay lever type) which will fit straight in & look the same as XU1 boosters. They are VH300, 304 & 311. The only external differences are the push rod length & vacuum valve hole size.

There are also 305, 320, 329 & 330 off later HK/T/G & LH/LX V8. These look the same again but need the pedal push rod modified to fit LC/LJ.

Over the years, the various brake reconditioners have mixed & matched cases & other hardware when building boosters, so any of the above could turn up on an LC/LJ substituting for an XU1 original.

Dr Terry

All very interesting Dr Terry and Gong

#53 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

I have not been able to work out why the check valve hole sizes vary, but think the 6cys had the small hole so the air rush didn't kill the motor at idle, and the large hole for the V8, but I am open to suggestions on this? Mike

No, AFAIK it was just a PBR redesign of the vacuum valve.

All of the 1960s boosters, from VH44 onwards had the old style 'fat' valve which needed the larger hole. Around mid 1971 they released a newer design which utilised a smaller diameter grommet. All the boosters from then onwards had the smaller hole. Dattoman ??

Dr Terry

#54 glenn stanley

glenn stanley

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Name:Stanley

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

There is the likely hood that your car is an old NSW Police GTR fited with the XU1 options. If the booster bracket hole is in the correct position for the larger booster IE: not futher back so the bracket is not at 90 degrees then you may have a Police GTR. Many of these had the boosters changed over to PBR recos after the originals failed due to the heavy braking loads. There's a number of other parts that are also unique ot Police GTR's. Some were also sold as replacments for write offs and were sold via the closest dealers not through the governement fleet. In 1972 and in true Government style they purchased GTR's as they were $300 less than the XU1's and then they used a separate budget to have the XU1 options fitted at the dealers. The diff ratios were 3.08

#55 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

The Car was Sold from Smiths of Geelong in Victoria not from NSW, there a guy at smiths of geelong who worked from the early 1970's to this day, he told me u had the loot back then you could get what u want

#56 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Smiths of Geelong - did they sell Police GTR's with XU-1 Options ?????????????

#57 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:24 PM
Posted ImageBATHURST-32D, on 11 February 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

sorry i forgot to add that on the 3rd flat part around to the right of the breather hole is where the date code is on these ealier boosters.
and most of the lc xu1s i have seen from a 1970 car have been 17-7-70 date coded

cheers gong

That is interesting. They must have been done in a single run. Same same the 1971 cars, as it looks like 22-1-71 was the date for them. Must have done them in prep for the Feb/Mar/Apr batch of cars.

that is true or right with the recored i have just like the A281-A291 heads,, also they stopped making the xu1 after the 4th month to get ready for the 71 bathurst car,, then it seems the VH317 12.G.1 was cast for the first heap of these cars, the first batch of VH324 was started in late november of 1971 for the release of the lj i would say and that would also align with the M21 head.

No, AFAIK it was just a PBR redesign of the vacuum valve.

All of the 1960s boosters, from VH44 onwards had the old style 'fat' valve which needed the larger hole. Around mid 1971 they released a newer design which utilised a smaller diameter grommet. All the boosters from then onwards had the smaller hole. Dattoman ??

Dr Terry

you are near spot on again doc, the only thing i can say that you need to look into is it was mid 1970 as the lc xu1 started with the small hole...or it may have been the v8 boosters had the bigger hole for extra air. the pic i posted of the one with the big hole, i cant read the first few numbers but the last year date is 68 so that is for the hk...

please note that i am not a know it all and this info is from recoreds i keep...

cheers gong

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 13 February 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#58 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

You know I've never really paid too much attention to the size of the hole
I just stick the valve in !!

Yes there is probably a date PBR changed to the cheaper to manufacture valve
It wasn't a Holden specification... just a manufacturers production change

#59 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

You know I've never really paid too much attention to the size of the hole
I just stick the valve in !!

Yes there is probably a date PBR changed to the cheaper to manufacture valve
It wasn't a Holden specification... just a manufacturers production change

I seem to remeber looking up the valve grommet in the various parts books and found the change over, but sorry I can't remember the outcome.
Mike

#60 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

The booster on my '73 Bath XU-1 recently failed and needed a rebuild. I couldn't see any markings at all on it so was very pleased when it come back from acid dipping and a rebuild and was clearly marked VH324 dated 10G3.

Cheers,
mondie

#61 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

All very interesting Dr Terry and Gong

We only need dates for the 1972 models now and we nearly have the full set of dates,

1970 17 -7 - 70

1971 22 - A - 71 & likely G 1 date

1972 I would expect a Jan 72 date and a G 2 date

1973 likely Jan 73 and 10 G 3 date

Again it seems to come back to Cams minimum numbers by the looks as the first 200 are always required for Homologation and to be eligable to race, then 500 were the minumum numbers, Holden would have know these numbers in advance by reading the CAMS rules.
By mid year except 1970 which the dates started in July each time there is a date change, apart from likely not wanting to carrying stock from January these later minimum numbers may not have been quite so predictable.
1971 300 extras were built then 72 the numbers were the same 300 then in 73 the numbers were changed to 250 so I see that from July the dates changed each time 1971, 1972 and 1973

Mike

#62 ewe-one

ewe-one

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name:Ross
  • Car:LJ

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

We only need dates for the 1972 models now and we nearly have the full set of dates,

1970 17 -7 - 70

1971 22 - A - 71 & likely G 1 date

1972 I would expect a Jan 72 date and a G 2 date

1973 likely Jan 73 and 10 G 3 date

Again it seems to come back to Cams minimum numbers by the looks as the first 200 are always required for Homologation and to be eligable to race, then 500 were the minumum numbers, Holden would have know these numbers in advance by reading the CAMS rules.
By mid year except 1970 which the dates started in July each time there is a date change, apart from likely not wanting to carrying stock from January these later minimum numbers may not have been quite so predictable.
1971 300 extras were built then 72 the numbers were the same 300 then in 73 the numbers were changed to 250 so I see that from July the dates changed each time 1971, 1972 and 1973

Mike

Not sure if this helps.
Attached File  break_booster.jpg   52.99K   8 downloads
The interesting thing is if '9' is the day and 'J' is the month (Sept) then it seem to have been built on a Saturday. Was working in the weekend the norm in '72? Then again I guess it better than being built a Monday or a Friday.

Cheers

#63 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

A well respected forum member had a VH 324 booster for sale a few years ago .

Hard to tell from the photo , cast date was 3 G 2 or 31 G 2 .

#64 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

31 G 2 it is .

#65 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

31 G 2 it is .

Thank you, a few more dates please so we can narrow the batches down?

#66 _SILVERFOX XW_

_SILVERFOX XW_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi Guys.
My first post on this forum so Gday all.
Do not own an XU-1 at the moment but have ( back in the eighties, LC XU-1 ex racecar on road rego) and would like to again.....they're beaut.

For your info,, same topic for Monaros is somewhat confusing. I've attached a pic of the booster presently on my 327 HK Monaro with type two engine (commonly referred to as a type two HK or Series two Monaro). VH312 is yet another number........

I feel that this booster is the right one for the car but am not sure and a little confused as a respected and highly knowledgeable person told me it should have a booster with the larger diameter hole and the blue check valve which I think is the VH300 with the offset pushrod.

Cheers
Nick.

#67 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Just adding my numbers for the list
7/73 build
VH324 5E3

#68 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

My number for the list
Build 6/9/72
VH324 31G2

#69 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Just adding my numbers for the list
7/73 build
VH324 5E3

Funny you should post them numbers,mine are exactly the same as yours.Would be interesting to know when your car was finished.Mine was finished on the 4/7/73.
cheers Dane

#70 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi Dane, yeah I think we had some other dates in common, might of been the carby thread.
23/7/73, a monday, & mines a Adelaide build.

#71 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hi Guys.
My first post on this forum so Gday all.
Do not own an XU-1 at the moment but have ( back in the eighties, LC XU-1 ex racecar on road rego) and would like to again.....they're beaut.

For your info,, same topic for Monaros is somewhat confusing. I've attached a pic of the booster presently on my 327 HK Monaro with type two engine (commonly referred to as a type two HK or Series two Monaro). VH312 is yet another number........

I feel that this booster is the right one for the car but am not sure and a little confused as a respected and highly knowledgeable person told me it should have a booster with the larger diameter hole and the blue check valve which I think is the VH300 with the offset pushrod.

Cheers
Nick.

Hello Nick ,

What you have been told is correct -- there is only one check valve [ VS10573 ] and check valve grommet [VS10416 ] listed in the blue HK parts catalogue .

The HT parts catalogue lists two check valves and two check valve grommets .

Valve assembly- check [ blue plastic ] - VS10573 .
Grommet [ blue check valve - VS1O416

Valve assembly- check [WHITE PLASTIC ] - VS11184.
Grommet [white check valve - VS11185 .

As you can see , all HK and some HT vehicles regardless of engine size that left the factory with power boosters have the larger valve and grommet .

#72 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

The "offset pushrod" was a cantilever type bracket that I believe was fitted to early cars

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hello Nick ,

If your car is the one I am thinking it is - Picardy red with black interior that from time to time has a rack at the back of the car with a mini- bike aboard , then it is a very nice 327 .

#74 _SILVERFOX XW_

_SILVERFOX XW_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hi Kockum.

Yes that is the car. The Minibike was my Dad's. A kawasaki 75 MT-1. He bought it new. I found it in a rusted pile under my Grandfather's house a few years back when cleaning up after he passed away. So rather than dumping it I saved it. You obviously saw them it at the Monaro Nats at Warwick.. I normally enter the car for Judging in Factory Authentic but after a little advice put it in "Mild Custom" ( or Contemporary) Just to be different I thought it would be a nice touch to add an authentic minibike from the period. When I was growing up it was a common sight.

Thankyou for your comment. I will post a pic up in show your rides when I work out how to do it.
I also have a little more info on boosters and will post up tonight.

Cheers
Nick.

#75 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Hello Nick ,

Yes I saw your car at Warwick .

I am as keen as mustard to see more photo's of your car .
Incorporating the mini- bike in your display is a nice touch that certainly makes your car stand out from the crowd .

More booster info would be good .
A friend has a relatively early build Pagewood HK 327 ( passenger side alternator ) . Bought from the original owner .
His booster appears to have never had the stainless steel model ID plate spot welded onto it .
Has the large check valve hole and is the direct push rod type .
This booster has a seven digit stencil number that is somewhat faded but still readable that begins with - 74.....
The HK parts catalogue lists R/H drive disc brake direct push rod type booster P/N - 2813781 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users