Borg Warner strong enough?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

G'day all,firstly i know this question has probably been asked 100 times before..but here goes

i'm in the process of changing my diff ..(lx torana 308) from banjo..after a local guy had a 9" for an lx complete for sale..which he promptly sold on me when i told him i wanted it..oh well..guess first dibs meant nothin to him!!!

A work mate has some vn b/w diffs..i just bought a housing and axles off him and a set of 3.45 gears off another guy and can also get a 3.08 lsd centre from another.
My torrie probably will never be dragged.....i think...just wanna maybe do the odd skid an have fun in it with out it breaking.
its a 308(350-370 hp) with aussie 4 speed nothin huge

so..just wondering those guys using borg warners..what are they like?how strong are the centres? should i just go a 9"?

any thoughts and opinions would be great
cheers Tim

#2 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hello,
make shure you have the body clearance for a larger diff as the ones designed for a large Salsbury had a different floor pan, a UC has this floor pan, but was never fitted with a V8 of course.

Top link mountings vary between Toran models too, again even a 4cyl UC has the right mounts to fit a large Salsbury but was the only LH UC model not to have one. If you have a small banjo your top mountys will be different to the large Salsbury ones.

I have seen on Ebay especially modified top links to convert to the Large Salsbury ones.

I don't like Ford parts in a Holden on principle, Borg warner are fairly tough diffs.

Mike

#3 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

thanks Mike..the conversion will be done by a professional(Rodtech in Adelaide) all control arm mounts etc off a torrie banjo

the Borg Warner(vn-vs) are different to the larger early Salisbury

#4 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I have a bw78 in mine. I think they're great diffs. I got a mate that has one behind 515rwhp n 1350nm of torque. 31 spline axels tho n had no issues so far, car is raced all the time n cops alot of abuse

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

The Aussie 4 speed gearbox will be gone long before the Borg Warner diff gives you any problems, nothing wrong with them.

#6 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hello,
make shure you have the body clearance for a larger diff as the ones designed for a large Salsbury had a different floor pan, a UC has this floor pan, but was never fitted with a V8 of course.

Top link mountings vary between Toran models too, again even a 4cyl UC has the right mounts to fit a large Salsbury but was the only LH UC model not to have one. If you have a small banjo your top mountys will be different to the large Salsbury ones.

I have seen on Ebay especially modified top links to convert to the Large Salsbury ones.

I don't like Ford parts in a Holden on principle, Borg warner are fairly tough diffs.

Mike

Mike, have I read this correctly,

"again even a 4cyl UC has the right mounts to fit a large Salsbury but was the only LH UC model not to have one."

All UCs got the SMALL Salisbury rear end. The only Torana to get the Large Salisbury was the LX A9X. The UC small Salisbury has the same mounting as the A9X axle though. All LC/LJ (6-cyl) & all LH/LX except A9X got a Banjo.

Dr Terry

#7 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

What sort of coin do rodtech charge for this conversion?

#8 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

above 500 odd horses and they can break the seam welds
above 400 odd you should upgrade to a kazz or similar center
from what I've read anyway...

#9 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

What sort of coin do rodtech charge for this conversion?

$770 for the borgy and $990 for a 9" with them suppling the housing,with the b/w you have to supply the housing

by the way dave..you have change your avatar..it's the city with drags now :D

#10 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

above 500 odd horses and they can break the seam welds
above 400 odd you should upgrade to a kazz or similar center
from what I've read anyway...

cheers al...i'm safe then..coz my little 308 aint makin those numbers

#11 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

that's frocking cheap.....do they frieght?

#12 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

that's frocking cheap.....do they frieght?

i dont know..probably?..oh..and that's a complete conversion with no centre,so you supply 2 housings if going Borg Warner (1) Banjo(1)

they cut all the brackets off the banjo,can leave the discs on the b/w or go torry drums,they shorten the axles an change to torry stud pattern

Rodtech 08 82623230............they are very busy tho!!!

#13 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

mmmm....might ring them bout a stato diff...then i can put this 308 i have in there :)

#14 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Or I believe you can buy the Torana bracketry for the BW diff from Mcdonald Bros. Saves butchering the Banjo.

#15 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Or I believe you can buy the Torana bracketry for the BW diff from Mcdonald Bros. Saves butchering the Banjo.

thats a good idea..might look into it

#16 _heapa_

_heapa_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

if you use a 31 skyline diff you wont have cut it down to size just change the brackets

#17 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

if you use a 31 skyline diff you wont have cut it down to size just change the brackets

Same goes for Pintara i think

#18 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

^^^hard to get tho..thought they were only 25 and 28 spline?

#19 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

axles are 4 stud/jap stud pattern....think they where 25 spline
the only 28 where the vl v8/turbo diffs....not sure on the vn's..
the brakes are messy to fit too....but then so are the vn discs....
if you can find one you can change the centre
the man skylines where 3.89 and the pintarias 4.11mind you you can buy them new off ebay for 150-300 nowdays
the vl commodore boys snapped them up back in the day

#20 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I thought I'd read in the toraviki threads regarding fitting a BW diff that the r31 skyline was a 28 spline same as vl turbo. Too hard to find using tappa crap will look again when on the lappy

#21 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

yep Quagy...standard vl was 25 spline, vl turbo 28 spline,all vn,p,r,s was 28 spline 3.08 ratio(option some ss manuals 3.45)

so ...i have a 3.45 ratio gear set from a vl..which will bolt into the 3.08 lsd centre i'm gettin from another guy

dont want 3.08 ratio..and 3.89's a little too low..1st gear would be useless

and i rang McDonald Bros their bracket kit for LH LX Torana is $250...mmm..might pass on that and get another s/h banjo to cut up

#22 RBTORY

RBTORY

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:lj 2 door / RB30ET

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

i know of a bw diff in an lc torana that has had 460 rwkw put through it and still going.

#23 _hatch76_

_hatch76_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

I got my commodore diff cut down by Rodtech and was happy with the end result.

#24 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

thanks daniel,did you have any clearance problems at all with exhaust(s) and what yoke did you use the commodore one?

#25 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

I thought I'd read in the toraviki threads regarding fitting a BW diff that the r31 skyline was a 28 spline same as vl turbo. Too hard to find using tappa crap will look again when on the lappy

Yes Skyline (6 cyl) 28 spline, Pintara (4 cyl) 25 spline. Ratios 3.7, 3.89 (superseded by 3.91), 4.11

All VN onward are 28 spline

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users