shannons--LX SLR5000

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:46 AM

Just in case someone is on the look out, I saw that Shannons have listed an LX SLR5000 amongst other things for sale at their June 5th Auction in Melbourne.

Regards
Duck05

#2 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

im sure reda9x and others have talked about this one on this forum

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

Yes, we have at length. It's now being claimed it's a prototype. I've had a few discussions with a few guys about this and the theory was the car was a 5000 that was just removed off the line and modified to A9X specs as a prototype. We know 3 prototypes were made in this manner, and one was a 5000 that was used on the homologation paperwork, still with the SLR5000 down the sides but with A9X flares and mods. The interesting part is that the A9X homolgation paperwork was written up prior to the A9X release (obviously in time for Sandown 77), this car is taged as a 11/77 build from memory on the compliance plate, yet the VIN year code is G, meaning built sometime prior to sep 77. The other interesting thing is the rear axle code is G70, being 2.60 ratio only available on the A9X in Toranas. In other words, things just don't seem to mate up. Some of the guys here have seen the car in the flesh and from what I'm told, they weren't 100% sure of what they were looking at, it's an odd one, but one thing is for certain, it's not an A9X and the floorpan is not done correctly. I would love to see it in the flesh but it's in Melbourne. I've seen some tags dodgied up in the past too that were impossible to pic, so who knows

#4 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

I had a look at this car in the flesh on Monday night. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to it, but at first I just assumed it was an A9X (from the general look of it), then later on I found out it was only listed as an SLR5000. From memory they are expecting it to sell for between $25,000 and $35,000.

Pretty rough in general, but certainly original looking.

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

Another option has come to mind. Despite what some people have said, the A9X did actually sell quickly when new, those that hung around on lots for long periods of time did so because dealerships pumped up the prices, or in some cases, didn't advertise what they had. My car is a good example of this, didn't sell new until july 1978, and it was $2000 more than the list price. The original owner even told me they still had an LE Monaro new on the lot they tried to sell him. In most cases though, A9X's sold quickly and resold at a profit quicklt after the success in the touring car championship. People started wanting them, and there were some dealerships offering to modify up cars to A9X specs. This made me wonder, perhaps this car started life as say an LX SLR and was taken to the dealership and modified up to A9X specs and the dealer had connections to have the LHS and middle tags made at the factory to match, this would account for the G70 code for the diff and the fact the build date on the compliance plate does not match up. I know it did happen because I know of a race shell that was never raced having tags made and sent out form the factory, but with mistakes. Just a thought, and it would make sense, 1. No SLR5000 was made after Aug 77, and 2. has anyone ever seen an LX SLR 5000 with that coloured trim? I haven't, but I have seen LX SLR's with it....

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

if it went for under 30k it might be worth it....... if anything can actually be verified on it

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:18 AM

Exactly my point Datto, it's way to hard to prove.

#8 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:22 AM

All details 1977 Holden LX Torana SLR 5000 Sedan Here

See they have a nice old 1969 Monaro there to needs a little work

Nice ute to EH

#9 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

Red, what were the other two prototypes ?
Was one Harry Firths Hatch ?

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

yes, and another hatch

#11 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

Flamenco showed me on his A9X once how the flares bolted to the car, they actualy had the nuts spot wleded to the car on the inside... This would be very hard to replicate properly.. Has anyone had a look to see how the flares are bolted to this SLR5000, wouldnt that give an Idea if holden did the flares and if they did the flares it would be a good chance they did the rest of the mods..

Im no way an expert on A9Xs but just a thought.

JOhn

#12 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Ok my theory :D The car was build around late July 77 as a prototype. It was left out the back so to speak till after the final run of SLR5000. It was then decided to prepare it for sale to perhaps somene in the know. They found an earlier trim which was sitting around. (Not unlike the fashion packs that went into some of the A9X's). The car was then plated with the body options tag and complianced in November 77. I know that it is possible to send a vehicle for compliance well after the build date. The history is probably sketchy because some wheeling and dealing was done at the time.

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:52 AM

original flare nuts are not spot welded, and I don't believe this car was built earlier than the complianced date. If it was built in say july, it would have been complianced then, or not complianced at all. It's an odd one, but I think I'm on the money with the dealer optioned up theory

#14 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:51 AM

original flare nuts are not spot welded

Ok might not be spot welded but the nuts are fixed to the body, well at least they were on Seans Flamenco A9X...

John

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

they are a nut sert, a round nut fixed from each side

#16 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:24 PM

they are a nut sert, a round nut fixed from each side

Sorry mate i dont get ya.. DO you mean the round nuts are fixed to the body or just held there on each side by the bolt? If they are fixed, how are the fixed is it glued or some sort of weld like a spot weld or any other method?

John

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:59 AM

They are a special round nut you fix with a tool, they squash together and clamp to the panel

#18 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

OK i get ya now, thanks RED.. Are these easy to obtain, like would a fastner/bolt place have them? Sounds very simular to what i used for my GTS mirrors, a mate had this tool like a pop rivet gun, he drilled the holes im my doors a little larger then riveted a thread with this tool, now all you do is use a small cap screw to hold the mirror base down..

John

#19 _atlantis hatch_

_atlantis hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:51 AM

are the prototype hatches known or are the numbers, trim known. i might be on to one. very interested to find out.any help appreciated.cheers.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

they are known

#21 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

So for what Price this SLR is being sold for...is it worth it???

#22 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:43 AM

I have seen this car in person and it does have the captive nuts built into the inside rear wheel arches.Everything about this car is A9X except the plates. And it goes very good. If you didnt know your tags you would not pick this car :spoton:

#23 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:50 AM

I have seen this car in person and it does have the captive nuts built into the inside rear wheel arches.Everything about this car is A9X except the plates. And it goes very good. If you didnt know your tags you would not pick this car :spoton:

So you reckon its worth the $$$$ Pip?

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

For the price it has on it, I would say it is fair when compared to other cars asking similar money. There are a few modified SLR5000's asking the same sort of money and more.

#25 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Red

I have sent you a PM however your mailbox is full. Can you let me know if you receive it please.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users