Cost of A9X arms...cost an 'arm' & a leg?!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

I queried this in my other post but thought a separate post would get a direct answer...
I inquired locally about the Harrop A9X arms as I can't (apparently) source them direct from Australia, & the guy gave me a price of $630 + GST each!!
Holy crap! I said are you sure thats not for the pair & he said no thats each...I didn't think they were that much! Is this true? (taking into account conversion rate, shipping). Think I'll stick with finding a pair of UC arms in this case. Crikey

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

What a load of crap, a mate bought some late last year direct from Harrop in Aus (ph +61 3 9474 0900), cost less than $400 all up including shipping

#3 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,853 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Could you just ask a forum member here in Aust to purchase for you then post over to you?

#4 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

You can buy them directly from Harrop no problems at all the exchange rate is a killer $400 a pair Au turns into $600 including freight that said you might not have to pay au tax GST

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Technically no you don't have to pay AU GST, if the total (including shipping) is over NZ$400 then you have to pay NZ GST (at 15%!) via Customs. Depends on how the exchange rate, retail price and shipping fluctuate but you're still looking at probably less than a third of the price quoted.

#6 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

Yea I made an online inquiry about it last year & got told to deal with the local distributor (can't find that bloody email though so must have deleted it in annoyance!), so I emailed Torque Performance back in December & got no reply so rang him yesterday & that's what he told me.
I'll do what you suggested Karl & actually call Harrop directly to find out the cost to get over here. Price seems to vary a lot though.

This is becoming a costly conversion...
So far I have -
HQ stub axles: $100 pair
HQ-WB rotors: $70 pair (new)
HZ calipers: $150 pair (rebuilt including new pads)
need to get -
UC upper control arms: $300 pair NOS (nothing around second hand)
A9X steering arms: $400-600 pair (no UC steering arms around)

so all up this setup is gonna cost $1000-1200. The first part has been cheap enough, but the last couple of things are rather pricey..

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Prices have definitely gone up, but I think its just a bit hard to swallow that the smallest parts cost the most. A Hoppers kit will cost $2K+ and you still need to get the UC control arms on top of that. If you stumble on the right deals and know the right people you probably could have gotten a lot of the parts cheaper but that might take a long time, we can't wait forever!

#8 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Yes indeed mate...I'm in the 'gathering parts' mode & it is frustrating that its so difficult getting what you want when its not around! So far its been a pretty cost effective process (apart from the stubs which I think I could have picked up a little cheaper) so I might need to take a breath & see what turns up. Could be the difference between a $1200 conversion & a $500 conversion if the right parts turn up at the right price... :banghead:

#9 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I bought 2 sets of harrop arms for $700 2 weeks ago. Can you get someone here to buy them for you and just post them over?

#10 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm sure plenty of blokes on here would be willing to lend you a hand in that regard.

#11 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

$300 for Uc top arms???? FERK!!!! ......

Are you paying import duty on the whole car?

#12 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Yea its up there, even though they're brand new...but they won't have 30+ years of wear & tear on them though I guess...
My budget's just been hit for the week with having to put new tyres on the Mrs car, so I'll look again at this next week & if I have no joy I'll put the call out to one of the many helpful GMH members here to get them & send them over here ..
Cheers all for your input :D

#13 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

How the hell do you even find them on the Harrop site? I'm damned if I can find them.

#14 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Back door

They aren't shown for everyone to see
But some people have direct links to the page

#15 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

j.e.d, if you still have dramas getting a price etc on those arms pm me as the business i manage is a harrop dealer, albeit in perth on the wrong side of the country but happy to help you out if i can.

#16 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Back door

They aren't shown for everyone to see
But some people have direct links to the page

Hmm...so whats the secret back door link mate?....

j.e.d, if you still have dramas getting a price etc on those arms pm me as the business i manage is a harrop dealer, albeit in perth on the wrong side of the country but happy to help you out if i can.

Cool cheers for the offer mate, I really appreciate it :D
I still can't get over our only local supplier charging that much each & I'm positive he's wrong but he wouldn't listen so meh...

#17 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Love to help you out there... .but I'm not really a back door man
But I'm sure one will appear soon enough

#18 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

hahahahahahahaha!....I bloody hope not!!

#19 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yea I made an online inquiry about it last year & got told to deal with the local distributor (can't find that bloody email though so must have deleted it in annoyance!), so I emailed Torque Performance back in December & got no reply so rang him yesterday & that's what he told me.
I'll do what you suggested Karl & actually call Harrop directly to find out the cost to get over here. Price seems to vary a lot though.

This is becoming a costly conversion...
So far I have -
HQ stub axles: $100 pair
HQ-WB rotors: $70 pair (new)
HZ calipers: $150 pair (rebuilt including new pads)
need to get -
UC upper control arms: $300 pair NOS (nothing around second hand)
A9X steering arms: $400-600 pair (no UC steering arms around)

so all up this setup is gonna cost $1000-1200. The first part has been cheap enough, but the last couple of things are rather pricey..

can't find a complete uc front end at a wrecker or ebay? - I found that the cheapest way to do it.. as you get the solid mounted steering rack as well.

have you called Harrop? I found it very easy to call them, pay over the phone and they'll post them to you.. can't see why they wouldn't post to NZ.

It may seem like the costs are adding up with this type of front end.. but hang in there, get all the good bits and build it right - you will be AMAZED at how good the setup is, ride quality is exceptional even with nolothane bushes, hard shocks and a big bar, and will handle like it is on rails.

Even though the Harrop arms are expensive I could not recommend them enough, they eliminate ALL bumpsteer

#20 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

Cheers for that Jack. Yea I'll need to look into a complete front end more, but it just seems the obvious places around here have nothing - might have to look down south perhaps.. I thought if you put solid bushes into the LX rack thats better & the LX had a better ratio..thoughts?
I'll look into calling Harrop in a couple of weeks when I'm cashed up again & get that sorted I think, cheers :D

#21 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

I thought if you put solid bushes into the LX rack thats better & the LX had a better ratio..thoughts?

Yeah you're right the lx rack has a quicker ratio, which is great.. just depends on your setup though, I thought the UC rack was a good compromise for me as I have fat front tyres (245/50/14), V8 (heavy), and a smallish steering wheel so thought it may be easier to steer.

I was worried the difference in ratio wouldn't make it as fun to drive, but i can't really notice a difference to be honest!

If it's cheap and easy for you to get some solid bushes made up and you already have an LX rack I would just do that..

#22 _sambo77_

_sambo77_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

i don't know who you talked to at torque performance, but all the harrop gear i've bought and priced through them they take the list price off harrop's oz website and convert currenciy on the days rate.

as far as i know they only sell the arms in pairs.

#23 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

I spoke with a guy called Robin. I emailed him back in December last year (I originally called him & he said to email my price query as he was busy), then emailed again 3 months later to follow up as I never heard from him, then just decided to call instead which is when he said to me that the cost to me is what Harrop would sell them at plus shipping which I was happy with, but when he came back with that price I was sure he was wrong, but never mind. Maybe he meant 'pair' when he said that that was the price 'each' (maybe each set?)
Who knows, but If I decide to get them I'll deal directly with Harrop instead, which is what I've always preferred doing with all the stuff I buy. It's always better dealing directly with the manufacturer rather than a middle man I think. :D

#24 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

Yeah you're right the lx rack has a quicker ratio, which is great.. just depends on your setup though, I thought the UC rack was a good compromise for me as I have fat front tyres (245/50/14), V8 (heavy), and a smallish steering wheel so thought it may be easier to steer.

I was worried the difference in ratio wouldn't make it as fun to drive, but i can't really notice a difference to be honest!

If it's cheap and easy for you to get some solid bushes made up and you already have an LX rack I would just do that..

Yea I'll be running the original steering wheel so it'll be what it'll be aye...can't afford power steering!. Hows your car going anyway? Done anything more to it?

#25 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

I spoke with a guy called Robin. I emailed him back in December last year (I originally called him & he said to email my price query as he was busy), then emailed again 3 months later to follow up as I never heard from him, then just decided to call instead which is when he said to me that the cost to me is what Harrop would sell them at plus shipping which I was happy with, but when he came back with that price I was sure he was wrong, but never mind. Maybe he meant 'pair' when he said that that was the price 'each' (maybe each set?)
Who knows, but If I decide to get them I'll deal directly with Harrop instead, which is what I've always preferred doing with all the stuff I buy. It's always better dealing directly with the manufacturer rather than a middle man I think. :D

Email [email protected] helped me out straight away and had freight same day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users