Are Toranas the end of the 'Classic Car'?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

- then the cars in your avatars are not muscle cars?!!!! :D

#27 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

Well the back seatbelts weren't retactable anyway!

#28 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

LOL, so are they half empty or half full!! :D

#29 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

I think what WAS a simple statement/opinionised question has now turned into a debate!

IMO, classics are the GT's, GTS's, A9X's, XU-1's and Camaro's of the 70's... Production cars - the ones that came from the showroom floor and went straight to the track! In the early days, legend has it Peter Brock actually drove one of his XU-1's to the race tracks when their truck was unavailable... Proves you can drive, race, then drive home the REAL cars...

I dont think the police would like a V8 Supercar of Today on the streets... But an XU-1... How cool would it be having a traffic light race with Peter Brock in his XU-1... Hell yeah!

I cant quite imagine what the term 'classics' would describe in maybe 15 years time... Hard to tell, but as stated in the first post it would probably be something like retro or post 80's muscle...

Keith

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 03 June 2006 - 10:42 PM.

#30 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

If The commodore had the Kingswood name? Well the Falcon kept its name and i dont think it helped that much.

Seen the new Torana concept? Its a Twin Turbo Astra... i can see that a real classic.

Back in the day, (before i was born!) in the 70's, What was peoples reactions as pedestrians, or people in other cars saw a car such as the A9X, Charger or GT Falcon go past them? i reckon it would have been ultimate respect! People even doing the 2 fingered 'hey charger' sign.

Sure todays 'super cars' have a level of respect, i doubt it would be as much.

I guess there is a new sign, for 17-18 year olds in commodores, but it only envolves one finger :finger: as they cut you off doing 150 in mummys shopping car.

As for Jap cars being 'classics'. I dont think so. Old Corollas, Mazda RX's, Datto 1000's, TA Celicas have their place in History. But i cant say classic is the word.

As for plastic/fiberglass on A9X's (and others), at least its all for a reason. They had wider tyres and NEEDED wider guards (flares). Making all new steel panels with pumped guards would cost a lot more money than its worth, considering the amount of A9X's produced. Same goes for the bonnet scoop, it serves a purpose.

I wonder how much difference the Bolt on flares on a Proton GTi (or whatever) make. Or the 2 meter High, 'shopping trolley' spoilers on CRX's.

I also think A9X's (And GT's etc) become more of a classic as they ARE the actual race cars you saw at bathurst (as someone also said earlier). How many parts on todays V8 supercars are actually even interchangable with their road models? When was the last time you could buy a 500hp falcon from the factory?

anyway....

Edited by mike_nofx, 03 June 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#31 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

Just out of interest, and a bit off topic, but is it possible to get the Bathurst Group C body kit for the VK? Don't like the VK much (square dials), but loved the last big banger VK's at Bathurst.

Consider it an ad break, we now return you to your regular viewing.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 June 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#32 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:35 PM

I find the new released Mini, Volkswagon, Monaro, and Torana and interesting commentary on civilisation? Next they'll be bringing back modernised steam trains. What ever has happened to original thought?

#33 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:04 AM

mike_nofx, you seem to be stuck of the latest model commodores, yes the A9X had wheel flares for wider tyres but so did the 1st commodres.. After all A9X's only left the factory with 6" wheels for the street as commodores had at least that if not wider...

The simple and sheer fact that these cars were built by Holden Dealer Team and Influanced by the main man himself "Peter Brock" should be more then enough to give these machines a CLASSIC status

Enough said
John

#34 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:32 AM

" the cars that we consider to be classics today, are mainly cars from the 70's"

thats a quote from my original post.

"mainly" being underlined, because it doesnt say ONLY. "70's" being underline, as when do you think the FIRST Commodore was made.

I would say the VL is more of a cult car, if that makes sence. The aussie car with the jap motor (I wont go any further with that), something different with plenty of power (especially the turbo).

As with other commodores, VL included (any with the 308) its more the engine thats the classic than the car in general. same goes for the 351.

Where did conrod straight get its name again?

#35 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:13 AM

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Classic_car

#36 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:13 AM

I dont think there are any cars from the 80's or 90's that i would ever consider classic muscle.

Even the most standard 'S' Toranas are classics. Could a standard 80's, 90's or 00's Commo or Falcon ever be classic.

This is what i was debating or should i say arguing..

What is a classic?

CLASSIC
adj.

Belonging to the highest rank or class.
Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.
Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles: a classic piece of research.
Of a well-known type; typical: a classic mistake.
Of or characteristic of the literature, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome; classical.

Formal, refined, and restrained in style.
Simple and harmonious; elegant: the classic cut of a suit; the classic lines of a clipper ship.
Having historical or literary associations: classic battlefields of the Civil War.

n.
An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance.
A work recognized as definitive in its field.

A literary work of ancient Greece or Rome.
classics The languages and literature of ancient Greece and Rome. Used with the.
One that is of the highest rank or class: The car was a classic of automotive design.
A typical or traditional example.
Informal. A superior or unusual example of its kind: The reason he gave for being late was a classic.
A traditional event, especially a major sporting event that is held annually: a golf classic.

John

Edited by TORANASS, 04 June 2006 - 02:20 AM.

#37 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:25 AM

The only "stand outs" of recent years would have to be the Monaro and the current GT Falcons. The Falcons more for the colours than the badge on the front. I lost the plot a bit keeping up with all the Holden variants until the Monaro which is so obvious being 2 door. Probably comes from being a touch on the "old school" side. If they ever make another Torana, we can only hope it is a local product, not a rebadged Vauxhall or Opel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users