Photo

Brembo disc's & calipers on LX an option?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

MSF are good to deal with on custom stuff.
http://msfracingcomp...ts.com.au/home/

They do some cool stuff it looks like..

#27 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

thanks for uploading the link just ordered hubs from them. He took the time to talk things through explain whats been tried and what way to go about adapting my brembos to fit his hubs and what discs to try ect, unlike most other companies who only wanted to sell a complete kit.
and great prices

They do a good job and unlike some of those Flee-Bay so called experts they know what they are doing. Their Watts, Sway-bars and floaters are all very good gear. They understand performance and handling which is what customers need when they ring for advice on what's best (not just sell what they have in stock). Far too many self appointed experts that simply don't deliver.

#28 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

It's getting harder and harder now a days to find quality places to deal with, so that is really good to know a place is out there.

#29 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

It's getting harder and harder now a days to find quality places to deal with, so that is really good to know a place is out there.

He was helpful spent 40min on the phone where most people just say buy my whole kit and are you later .
Parts have been sent and he also has hubs that although commodore stud pattern they don't widen the track of the car !

#30 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

And I am going to go much bigger on my calipers soon as I get done loading containers now and have time to rest, ha ha...

I already tried on an 8 piston AMG Brembo caliper and it bolts straight on in place of my existing 4 piston Brembo's.

The caliper bracket I made was pretty straight forward and sure you could do a similar one as well. the Mercedes AMG SL55 rotor goes onto the hubs from the upc guy (who sells on ebay the brake kits) once you redrill them to Chev pattern (and open the center bore up slightly on the rotor.

Just doing all the working out of what to use was the hard part really for me...the actual fitting them on the car is really straight forward.

And my 360mm rotors fit my 18" wheels perfectly. Depending on what wheel you run though, you might have to watch caliper clearance.

clearance.

Any chance of roughly measure the height of the rotor ?( the offset and disc thickness?) even approximately through the wheel just to give me a rough idea

#31 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

2005 MERCEDES-BENZ SL55 AMG 5.5L V8 Supercharged Part# 12035068 Weight 15 kg

Caliper SL55 8 pistion (Brembo). Weight 5.8 kg

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 31 May 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#32 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

2005 MERCEDES-BENZ SL55 AMG 5.5L V8 Supercharged Part# 12035068 Weight 15 kg

Caliper SL55 8 pistion (Brembo). Weight 5.8 kg

Omg Thankyou so much ! So that's why you've used for the brembo 4 spots ?

Posted Image

#33 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I do not have this setup. This information was posted by ls1hatch in another thread.

ls1hatch is now running the SL55 8 piston caliper.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 31 May 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#34 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I do not have this setup. This information was posted by ls1hatch in another thread.

ls1hatch is now running the SL55 8 piston caliper.

So this info in another post was for when he was running the 4piston brembos ?

#35 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

ls1hatch recently changed to the SL55 8 piston caliper.

See this thread

#36 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

i did see on summit a wilwood caliper and disc kit to suit vhev could possibly work very easy any one tried it?

#37 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

I've just found a Disc that is almost identical but originally off a VE v8 commodore and apparently the VE stud pattern is the same as vt (I'm running vt stud pattern) so no need to drill a new stud pattern

#38 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

VE runs 14mm studs not 12mm like the VT though
So the current stud holes will be huge

If your going to get all excited about big Brembos remember they are chunky and wheel clearance is critical
360mm discs with big calipers will need lots of clearance

http://holmart.com.a...ne/prod1079.htm

#39 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

I had the 4 piston calipers first...and took plenty of time going through all different sorts of rotors to find one with the correct height to allow clearance between the caliper and my wheels. I had the wheels before I had anything, so making the brake package fit them was an important part of it all. The Mercedes rotor had the right height to give me the room I needed. There was also a 2 piece AMG rotor used with the same sizing from memory, but much more money, so these 1 piece ones worked out real well. (after maching to suit the bolt pattern and opening the center bore up slightly as mentioned)

As said, you will have to watch wheel selection with this setup....but I have plenty of clearance with my 18" wheels. The do have a special narrow drop area to allow more brake clearance, but aside from that...all the checking I did with rotor selection and the rest of the combo worked out really well.

I also had looked at other 14" rotors (slightly smaller than what I use) from common stuff...SRT Challengers, SS2 Camaros, Corvettes, etc, but none of the ones I came across were the correct height to clear my wheels. Redrilling the bolt pattern in the rotors was really no big deal, and in doing that it really opens up things to a heap of different possibilities.
If you look at all sorts of various Mercedes (and other cars for that matter too) there is a nice selection of brake options out there.

Oh, and one other thing with the AMG rotors, they are thicker than most all other cars out there, and most after market brake kits that use a 32mm thick rotor so you have to watch which calipers you use (if not the correct ones) to make sure they will even fit over the rotor in the first place.

I know my way I did it is not the only way of course...just worked out well for me. Well....worked out after alot of checking for sizing and clearances, ha ha...

#40 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Oh, and that picture posted above of the rotor specs I used, if off of rock auto originally...it is a handy spot since alot of thier rotors (depending on brand) have similar specs listed for trying to find certain sized one for swaps, etc. (They have good prices as well of course)

I also happen to have a buddy who works at a huge Mercedes dealership and they stock rotors for just about all the models, especially all the newer AMG stuff so was able to get him to double check a couple measurements for me as well. They also do alot of other exotic Euro makes at the dealership and had the stuff in stock for them too which was handy for comparison. He would text me photos of various cars in there for service that happened to have carbon ceramic brakes and tell me I should really step up to the plate, lol... (or some of the cool new AMG models with dual caliper setups, etc,etc)

#41 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

It is worth checking with your engineer and state laws regarding drilling stud patterns in disc rotors. People have been refused rego for drilling new holes in disc rotors, enlarging existing holes is ok.

See this thread for one example.
http://www.gmh-toran...page__p__571417

#42 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

If you were running custom wheel... you could always just have hubs made in Mercedes, etc bolt pattern and then run wheels to suit. Not like you are ever going to rotate tires front to rear obviously in most cases. (especially since most guys have wider wheels in the rear that is)

Then there would be no need to redrill them if that was an issue.

Being over here, anything goes.. ha ha...

#43 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

If you were running custom wheel... you could always just have hubs made in Mercedes, etc bolt pattern and then run wheels to suit. Not like you are ever going to rotate tires front to rear obviously in most cases. (especially since most guys have wider wheels in the rear that is)

Do you know where i can get discs from for the merc they want over 450 each in australia .
And freight from a few us sites are 160 for each disc which I thought was over priced ?

#44 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

That Merc disc at 36mm is a biggun

Choose your caliper first before you worry about the disc

Unless you have a ready supply of calipers at hand that suit a 36mm thick disc

#45 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

Do you know where i can get discs from for the merc they want over 450 each in australia .
And freight from a few us sites are 160 for each disc which I thought was over priced ?

$160 for 15 kg is a good price for air freight. Using www.myus.com which is usually one of the cheapest methods it would cost $205.95 to ship 15 kg.

#46 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Just wondering did the calipers clear the k frame without any modifications( full lock to full lock ?)

#47 _Hazard_

_Hazard_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

I used ve redline 4 piston calipers on my LH. Like a few other guys on here I bought the UPC 330 brake update before I read how crap they were and like everyone else had issues with the caliper hitting everywhere. The redline calipers are slimmer on the inside but me figuring they should bolt up ok seeing as the kit we designed for ve calipers was far from straight forward. My brackets are a lot more complex then what Jeff knocked up, I wish they were that simple but the mounting holes on the brembos come down along way so I had to modify the stubs and relocate the caliper holes for the brackets. I was able to keep the Torana stubs and arms, retain 99% lock with full travel. I'm by no means a pro fabricator, it took a lot of thinking and tinkering with HQ & Torana stubs, ve and the upc discs but i worked it out eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users