• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Name:Rabs
  • Car:1977 Holden Torana LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

That looks pretty SMIK!!

LS2 Stroker would be unreal, however a simple cam and heads would also make it a fun car.

Its all about how LUMPY you want the Cam to be. :P

#27 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

The laws in Sydney for engineering are way out of hand. I'm a sensible driver and all I want is to drive my car sundays and enjoy it.
I'm in the process of getting it engineering but it's turning out to be a mission.
The widest rim I can fit on the back is 8 inch otherwise they will defect you.
The cops don't care if your a daily driver or not. I'm sorry to say but getting 11's on the back in NSW is going to be very tough.

Agree 100%. For the most part, these type of cars are immaculately well built & maintained & represent an insignificantly small percentage of road accident statistics, but the powers that be continualy make it harder to get modifications that actualy improve the braking, handling & overall safety of these cars legal.

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Same in QLD Mate.

Cheers.

#29 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Totally agree and very confused about Engineering. I rekn i have rang up 10 engineers about my car and each one has told me something different.

#30 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Sure must make it hard trying to do stuff when you get all different answers about what you can or can't do. :huh:

#31 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes Jeff, it’s very confusing. Oh well all part of the fun!

Quick question, what type of shock absorbers do you have on your car?
Do you have any problems with your 18 inch rear wheels hitting on the quarter when entering drive ways?

#32 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

I've seen a bit of the confusion in person when over there..but it's still something with all the different laws in different places.
One I just can't get over is how it's safe to have me import a LHD car that's a 70's era and you can put it on the road and it's ok, but a new Camaro I ship over and we have to convert it to RHD. ? I guess newer cars no one can drive there without crashing, but old one are just fine....haha

Oh, and I run Bilsteins on the car and no problems at all with anything rubbing on it either :) (I "only" have 265 rear tires now and really have the bug to go 295 or 315's but I will just trim or do what ever I need to so there is no rubbing still)

Edited by LS1 Hatch, 08 May 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#33 _gmp&a29_

_gmp&a29_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hi Jeff depending on the width of your 9" diff you should be ok even with the Bilsteins, by the way love the hatch and the R/T's in the American drive way...

#34 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

It's so much easier importing an old school car compared to newer model. At the same time it makes u wonder why
There are so many rules and strict regulations for a new age car compared to an older car.

The reason why I asked you about the shocks is because I have fitted 18s on the back 245 wide and it's slightly touching when entering driveways. I have probably cut a descent amount of the quarter and i don't want to cut no more.. Between the quarter and the wheel there is probably a 6 cm gap which is a fare bit. But when entering a steep driveway it will just touch with no body sitting in th back. This is why I'm thinking may also be the shocks. How much did you pay for your shocks Jeff?

#35 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

I had my wheels built to the offset I wanted, so it gives me ample room to the inside so it's no where near the shocks....if you had a little less backspace would it help maybe?

And can't recall off hand what I paid for the shocks, would have to dig out the paperwork for them....hmmmmmmm (I'd say it was cheaper than they are over there though,lol)

Thanks as well George !

#36 _gmp&a29_

_gmp&a29_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think I paid about $370 for the rear Bilsteins, they are the best but a little Expensive. They ride well and are fantastic around corners, Mine only just rub when I enter my driveway and I've got 345/35/15 on the rear.

#37 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think mine were around $115 or so each ? (can't find the paperwork off hand) And that is a lot wider tire than I have at the moment ! I plan to go with a 315/30, but I can just change around the offset of the wheel to suit if need be (and might go to an 11" wide out from the 10's I use now) A 295/30 would fit as-is without changing anything and still give me good room but I figure if I am going to bother swapping tires (which are new as they are anyways,haha) I might as well go the rest of the way :D

#38 _gmp&a29_

_gmp&a29_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yeh everything is cheap in the US r well, Go for the 315 it will look better and tuffer go the Aussie cars in the US..haha.

#39 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Tires look like they are pulled in a fair bit, are you running a 12" wide wheel, or ?

Does look the part though !

#40 _gmp&a29_

_gmp&a29_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yeh running 11' rim in the rear and 8' in the front...thanks..

#41 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

That is probably why it looks pulled in on the sidewall, with only an 11" wide wheel....still looks tough though ! (I have 18 x 10 out back and 18 x 8 up front on mine)

#42 _gmp&a29_

_gmp&a29_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

A mate of mine has the same set up on his and has the 12" rims and looks pretty good, I dont like having a spacers on.
I would love to have the big 18" rims to have the big brembo's but this is it for now and its been like this for years.

#43 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Wow $370 for a pair of shocks is pricey, however if its going to fix the problem then i will need them.

I have 8 inch on the rear 245/35/18. i wish i can fit 10 or even 11 inch on the back.

There is no way my engineer will pass me! Jeff are there any strict laws over in the states for wider wheels or engine & emission modifications?

#44 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

I could run 20" x 15" wheels on the back if I wanted too...no laws at all about it, as long as they don't stick out past the body (of course flares could be 10" wide and they wouldn't care, lol) Can do anything you want as far as engine stuff goes too on the older cars. Newer cars just have all the crazy emmisions laws to comply with.

As crazy as the laws there are...and as much as I like being able to build anything I could possibly imagine here, it is kind of scary the stuff you see on the roads out here that people have cobbled together in the shed (especially with the new 'rat rod' thing being the in thing it seems..)

Oh, and price the shocks over here...they'll be cheaper obviously :D

(And a bummer on your wheel width limit..)

#45 _gmp&a29_

_gmp&a29_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Yeh our laws here are a joke sometimes re mods to cars, me personally I do prefer the 15" wheels but limited to caliper size I would love to do what you did and go the moster size Brembos R well.

I've had these wheels on for about 16 years and have had no problem so far, If and when I get pulled up on the wheel size I'll have to go back to my GTS 15" wheels. Having said all that my Simmons look good and handle well.

Wow 4 pads per caliper, looks fantastic with the AMG caliper.

I was in the States last Christams and new year I couldn't belive how cheap everything is we get ripped of here :nopity:

#46 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

How good is that! Wish our laws over here were a bit less stricter.

I might look into buying a set of shocks from the states.

#47 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

George....your's are a cool looking wheel too, nothing wrong there! I had hot wires on my car actually for 10 years, and always thought if anything I would have went up to Simmons. But then I came across the ones I have on the car and they just really grabbed me straight away. I have seen some other pro-touring sort of look wheels I don't mind either but none of them really just seemed the blend of modern in size yet still not too modern or out of place on the car. (plus they are very light and strong since they are actually road racing wheels designed for Porsche cup cars)

Oh, and on the shocks..I knew a guy who worked over here for Brembo but he couldn't really get me a deal on buying them direct so I got them off an online place :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users