8/70 RALLY RED LC GTR XU-1 REBUILD

The rebuild

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#1 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hi All..After reading many a members resto's, I thought I might as well start my own..
I aquired a 8/70 Rally Red LC GTR XU-1. Confirmed its the real deal....It has most pieces, has matching numbers for chassis and motor. It has the original motor.
Being a Sign writer. Im confident in the spray painting area, I have never done panel repairs but am willing to give it a go.
Im using a front damaged LJ 2 dorr as the donour car..It has most parts and the quarters are perfect...
Im hoping that you guys can give me some pointers when needed....(with the parcel shelf when I get to it, need to make 1 out of 2.) :mellow:
Been talking to John Gong..has a wealth of info and is a nice guy..and some others that are helping.
Any way..
Ive had it for 2 years now..Havnt had the time or funds to start..
Now is the time..Pity it wont be ready for the Mountain run..Maybee next time.
It took a day to strip..Revealing the problems..
Major rust, but in the common places..
The first job is to get the rear bumper mounts in properly so I can get on the Twirler...They wernt on.
The previouse owner attemted the boot repair..Its ok with a little of my care to fix...
Im replacing the laft and right side of the rear valance as it has rust holes..Wanted to spot fix the holes but are too big and rusty panel...Have cut off LJ..see pics, Havnt done the LC, want to make sure..
Was a job drilling the spots out of the Tail light braket..Needed to come off as it was rusty behing the weld flange..Needs doing for both sides..

I purchased a spot weld removale tool off ebay..Brilliant gadbet for $9. Gotta love ebay..

Started doing the guard rust spots. But after cutting and relising I might have done it wrong..Ive moved to an easyier area..If there is one. :furious:
Looks like there is going to be some long nights in the shed..
I live on some acerage in the Adelaide Plains..I have a 25x60x10' shed..Plenty of room and no neighbours to worry about.
Any way..Ill post some pics..enjoy and any comments that might help with my rebuild, would be much appreciated..
Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 26 April 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#2 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

More pics

#3 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

More Pics..

#4 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

This as I see it is going to be my biggest headace...The left side where the battery tray fits has been smashed..I can/wont replace the whole skirt as its got the all important chassis number on it...Any ideas of how to go about it?
Should i cut it and fix?
Replace and restamp?
Leave as is..No way...
What should I do guys????
Its jus if some one see's the repaire, they will think Ive changed the numbers????
This car has had some major crash repairs..Im thinking was it raced or the owner was a crappy driver?
Me thinks it was raced as there are some bolts/plates in the floor pan that you would attach a roll bar to..and there are none in the LJ..Ill take some pics.

#5 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Am I doing this the right way? Ive cut out the rusted valance and will replace with the LJ cut piece..Before I cut into the LC..Am I doing it right?

#6 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Good to see another XU being saved.
Going by the pics the damage to the front inner guard is no where near the chassi number so I would replace the front part of the guard where the damage is and leave the area where the number is alone.
Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you,have you considered getting the body sand blasted?

#7 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Nice another Rally Red Brisbane or Adelaide? Have fun with the resto. Post plenty of pics. PS with the rear end your probably better off just replacing the whole beaver at the factory joins that's if the bottom of the beaver is rusted they generally are. Media blasting of some sort usually reveals everything that needs to be done. Hopefully yours is okay.
Cheers Dave

Edited by 71xu1, 26 April 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#8 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Hi all..The bottom beaver panel is fine...Can you get the whole back panel with the lights?
I thought that the bottom was only available? hence the cutting.
Im thinking of getting a chepo blaster off ebay..Ill only blast the underside and floor pans..
The rest by paintstripper...
I have had a good look at the car. I have found most of the major rust...
Im going to leave the front left inner gaurd to last..By then I should know what to do..
Ita an Adelaide build.
Thanks for the interest..
Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 27 April 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#9 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

mate if you are replacing them rear quarters and the lj is fine to use i would take it off in one peace
like this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
and then you will be left with this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
then you do this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
then this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
it should end up like this
Posted Image
and finish like this
Posted Image
Posted Image
strip your car with stripper wheels on a grinder if you dont want to sand blast it has paint stripper if not cleaned the right way will give you problems in the end, make sore you edge prime each part has you strip it and the end of each day
good luck with it and i hope i have helped
cheers gong

#10 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Everytime I see that pic John of the outer ass end being unpicked like that I think how the f#@k you did that.I tryed it on my resto and failed big time.
Cheers Dane.

#11 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Agree Dane. That was both brave and skillful with a perfect result.

Good to see another 8/70 Rally Red car being resurrected. Do you know what was the exact manufacture date? And like above - is it Brisbane or Adelaide??

#12 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi all..Thanks John...Looks like a job to replace the whole rear....
I do like the end result when you can get acces to the inner panels...
But. Where do I start to cut?
Ive studies the pics that John posted...Maybee ill give it a go???
The bottom of the rear quarters are rusty...Was thinking of just replacing the pieces by patching as Im not too confident in stripping the whole rear..Ill have a look tomm and see..
The car is an Adelaide build 8/70..sold 12/70 in Vic.

Anothe quick question..Im wanting to replace the whole front panels..IE, the radiator support panel and the front lower panel..
Whos are the better fitting ones..Rare spares or aussie muscle cars..There is a big difference in pricing..Please..
Mike

John..If I put you on a plane..Do you want to come down to Adelaide for a few days and help remove and replace the rear panels????
Just a question.... :D

#13 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'll think you'll find that the panels are the same, but rares won't have any, hence the cheap price...

#14 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi Mike good to see another 8/70 rally red , have you found out what part of the month it was built ? Bazza told me mine was built on the seventh day of XU1 pruduction and is around the 100th built , it would be interesting to see how close yours is to mine . Good luck with the rebuild .

#15 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

the best way to exsplain it dane, if you cut the donar car away from the part you need, then cut the panel away from the car your keeping but leave a little hangover you will have something to hook up to, like in this pick here...
Posted Image
see how up near the back parsil shelf the car sits back together.
and here where the door jams rap back around...
Posted Image

anyways if you need a hand mike i will help the best i can with the pics i have but i cant come down there just yet anyway.
cheers gong

#16 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi Mike,

Don't know as much as John, but have just replaced the two rear quaters on my GTR( but left the rear beaver in ) , if you need a some guidance on how to tackle give me a PM and I'll send you my mobile.

good luck, It can be done with patients and some determination.

grant,

#17 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi all...Thanks for the help guys..I will take you up on it..
Im still scratching my head about how to go about the rear end..I wish I never cut the rear beaver now..
Ill post a pic of the rust spots from both cars and see what is the best way that you guys think I should go about It..
Thanks for the encouragement..
Mike..

Heads up on work.
Made a template for the rear side window channel..I have to make as its rusty from both cars..
Im using .8mm zincaneal...Ill try and form, but if doesnt work..Ill just make it in 2 pieces then weld..

The rusty areas off the LC..the parcel shelf has a whole either side about 25mm round..The side window ares have some holes..The back beaver as shown..Both bottom guards are stuffed..Little rust on wheel arches left and right.

The LJ donor has NO SIDE gutterin/window mount..Just a 100mm pice that I might be able to use..The bottom right guard has some rust..the left side is gone totaly..The wheel arches are fine and straight..Mine have been folded to take wider wheels..
Slight accident damage right side high..
Both cars side seal panels are gone..
Question..Should i get the Aussie muscle car complete one for $500 or Buy the common replacment panel and then the end piece Retro rods is selling...If they ever get back to my constant emails..works out roughly 1/2 the price...

So..My question is..Is it worth replacing the whole side panels or just patching as the LC has not to much rust and the LJ has the same..
What do you guys think???

#18 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Oh..I forgot..The rear window bottom channel is completley gone from the LJ..The LC's isnt too bad..But as Im taking out the rear parcel shelf..Im replacing the rear mould with this..

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1439.l2649

Or should iI bite the bullet and buy this and put in..

#19 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

the best way to exsplain it dane, if you cut the donar car away from the part you need, then cut the panel away from the car your keeping but leave a little hangover you will have something to hook up to, like in this pick here...
Posted Image
see how up near the back parsil shelf the car sits back together.
and here where the door jams rap back around...
Posted Image

anyways if you need a hand mike i will help the best i can with the pics i have but i cant come down there just yet anyway.
cheers gong

Gong-Foose love ya work man and Mike do as Gong-Foose says "wax on wax off little grasshopper " personally I would buy the complete reproduction sill panel and fit it as one unit don't buy the RS sill

#20 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Maybe it might be best to try and find some better rear quarters that has next to no rust,don't worry they are out there.
Just remeber where ever you do rust repairs and patching you need to try and service the back of where you weld so rust dosen't come back in the future.

#21 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

mike if you do decide to bit the bullet dont buy that one off any body has i have a new one here i would sell you for 130 and you pay post.

cheers gong

#22 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Gong-Foose love ya work man and Mike do as Gong-Foose says "wax on wax off little grasshopper " personally I would buy the complete reproduction sill panel and fit it as one unit don't buy the RS sill

Ive tried and the only people who lists a complete one with lights is Aussi muscle cars and they dont have a pic and they are out of stock..I wasnt sure so I moved on..Has any one got a "complete" rear beaver then?
Still thinking about taking off the complete rear quarters..Repair off the car, Rust proof then put back on..What are your thoughts to that idea?
That way I can fix the inner panels as John shown in his excellant pics.

#23 _stapla22_

_stapla22_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hi Gong,

If mike doesn't want that panel. I would like to extend my expression of interest if you are still keen to part with it.

I'm restoring a LJ GTR.

Mike, I've got a donor shell too. I purchased it sight unseen so dunno whats available. Its a 4 door I'm happy to share any bits you might need if I don't need them. If your keen I may need some bits off your spare car too.

#24 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

now that is smart thinking and money saving shit right there... i will wait and see what mike is doing first mate. i also have heaps of parts from a few 4 and 2 doors i will follow both threads.

cheers gong

#25 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

now that is smart thinking and money saving shit right there... i will wait and see what mike is doing first mate. i also have heaps of parts from a few 4 and 2 doors i will follow both threads.

cheers gong

Weve talked already John..And any cash saved is more to spend.

Any way, I did my first weld/rust repair..Yipee, its on its way...took me a while to get the nerve to cut..But hey..once it was done, I was commited...
I started on the rear window, were the rubber goes...Went well.. I cleaned as much of the inside area as I could, zincweld spray behind and under the seams...Little welding..Im a happy man :D ..
Mike

The cut and wet zinc.

The rusty bit cut out.

Made the patch, held in place with magnets, ready to tack

Sorry to state the obvious. I couldnt help myself..

Tomm....The Rear beaver me thinks..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users