8/70 RALLY RED LC GTR XU-1 REBUILD

The rebuild

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#51 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hi all..Got the car on the rotisserie tonight..Took a bit of thought..I think I went over kill with the brackets..Buts I think its better to be safe..It aint moving..
Im very impressed with the unit..works really well..I needed some one to help turn it on its back. But once there..no problems moving...
You neeed abig area for this..Its longgg once together and on the car..
I like it..
Now the nasty rust..But I think a major degrease/clean first...

#52 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

That would be the best tool you have brought for your resto.Now all you need to is send it to get sand blasted.

#53 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi..Not going to send to get sand blasted..Im getting a portable one and doing myself...Im going to make a curtain that wraps around to keep mess in place..
I have to finnish rust repairs first..

#54 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hi all...Finnished the LH rear guard area tonight...Looks ok and no warping/buckles...
Im happy..will need a slight skim to finnish. Not bad I reacon, considering it was a BIG whole before...I can move on to the next section.. Life is sooo much better using the rotisserie..no more sitting on the cold floor or bending over..

#55 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Got some more done in a few hours after work..Im pretty tired..Its been a long week at work and in the shed..
Anyway..I cut out the rusty piece from the RH upper beaver area where the tail light sits..was full of holes and too thin to spot...So off it came and cut a pice off the donor. you would not even know it was changed.
.Guys its sooo good having a donor car next to the real car..easy for bits and to confirm placement and gaps etc..Dont know what I would of done with out it..
Getting there.. Next. fixing spots/seam sealing under the boot area..I want to finnish the boot area before I move on..
Im looking at getting a spot welder..I think it will make life soo much easier..Less welds/grinding and i can place the replacement panels with out having to drill weld holes...Any thoughts???
Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 25 May 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#56 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

This is bringing back memories of my resto,(working on it at every chance I get)the only differents is I did have a misses giving me the evil eye from the house.Keep at it,and keep in the tunnel of vision your doing well.Before you know it you'll be driving it. :spoton:

#57 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

Yep, I'm always amazed by what a person can do with some inner drive, a few tools and a dream.

Mike that was a great price for the rotisserie

#58 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

This is bringing back memories of my resto,(working on it at every chance I get)the only differents is I did have a misses giving me the evil eye from the house.Keep at it,and keep in the tunnel of vision your doing well.Before you know it you'll be driving it. :spoton:

Hi Dane..Ta for the words..I have no missus living with me..Been there done that..I live alone on 2 acres in The Adelaide plains..Im happy living alone..I do have a missus, she lives 50ks away..The perfect relationship..Shes a good girl and lets me do what I want..withing reason..
The visin is straight..I cant wait to paint..
Mike

#59 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

pic save

#60 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Mike if your only replacing the ends as marked out,your best to try and make them.That scuttle panel is almost impossible to get rust free and people that have them rust free want BIG dollars for them.
But if thats your XU pictured then looking at how much is left of the Scuttle I would replace the whole panel.
Good luck finding that panel rust free.
cheers Dane

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 28 May 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#61 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

here's a present;

http://www.gmh-toran...le-repair-part/

It off another model holden and have no idea if it will work, but it's a start for you and at least it may be the right shape to start with.

goot luck

Edited by Agent 34, 28 May 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#62 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Mike if your only replacing the ends as marked out,your best to try and make them.That scuttle panel is almost impossible to get rust free and people that have them rust free want BIG dollars for them.
But if thats your XU pictured then looking at how much is left of the Scuttle I would replace the whole panel.
Good luck finding that panel rust free.
cheers Dane

Hi.. Thats the donor car, the pic is for another forum member, was the only way I could paste in a message..My LC's scuttle panel is fine..I only have a Little hole either side..( the circled area of the donor car).. He needs a piece off the donor..They look pretty easy to make anyway..When I get to that area..Ill know more..Im thinking of patching any way and saving the donours scuttle plate ends for later..

here's a present;

http://www.gmh-toran...le-repair-part/

It off another model holden and have no idea if it will work, but it's a start for you and at least it may be the right shape to start with.

goot luck

Thanks for all you guys concern..Im ok..Dont need them...The XU-1 only has a tiny hole either side..There is not too much rust up front..The rust is mainky in the rear..where someone bodgied up a boot repair and stuffed it..

#63 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi all...Fixed the RH inner guard shock mount/shroud area..Due to some one doing a dodgy job replacing the floor in the boot..Thas what I have been spending most of my time on..They did a good job, trust me..
Its done now..wasnt too hard..

While I was there I patched/finnished the guard lip..took a while to get straight..It was rolled..Lead filled..came out ok..

the next whole to fix from the dodgy guy.

More to come..
Mike

#64 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi all...Been at it again..
After seeing the rust behind the RH shocker mount...I decided to kleen and inspect the LH side.. Yep..its there..seems to be a common spot as the donor car has it as well..
After giving the whole innerguard area a clean..and looking at the mount..you would not know that behind thoses spots the there is a BIg whole there..
I cut out a section of the shroud area to get a better idea..and yep, as you can see..its full of dirt/rust, this fine sand is through the WHOLE car..It is whats causing the rust..Its not beach sand..More like bull dust...

I decided to take off the whole shroud to get a better idea off how bad it was,, Could I have done it from inside the boot???? :blink: ...
Derusted, poked around and cut out the cancer..filled in, rust proofed...While i was there I cleaned out the seam realy well and derusted/primed..
I have to leave this as Ive got the mount/shroud in my rust bath, (mollassis and water works very well, leave for 2 weeks and rust all gone..1m to 9 water..I use a 20 litre bucket with 2 litre of mollassis, try it, it works)..
I Finnshed the lip on the RH rear guard, looks brilliant, nice and sharp, nice curve and no rolled edges.. you would never know it was rolled and full of rust...ill get a pic..Will do LH side tomm..

The more I get into this car, the more I suspect it was an exrally car..lots of fine sand in areas and lots of ding/dents in bottom of car, The guards are original with no major dents, patching etc,,Youd think if it was an ex track car, the top, ie guards etc would be patched, but mines ok, besides rust and front left, but the under side has been through hell..It might also explain the globemasters on it. would be nice to know.

Mike

#65 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Question..Can you weld through seem sealer??

#66 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hi all..Ive been at it again...
I lead filled the seams on the rear beaver/ smoothed the guard lip last night..Bogged and etch primed..Looks good...Getting better at lead fill,,Dont need much bog to finnish..Theres a small flat spot I missed on the egde of the beaver..easy fix..

Just a few more little things..as long as I dont find any more problems..Im now ready to move onto the door seals..
Thanks Gavin from RETRO RODS for custom making my Left and Right seal ends..saves heaps of cash..Hes a top bloke..

Question..what is the best way to go about fixing the "A" pillar?
Should I unpick and replace the panel or just cut out the rusty bits? I suspect its rusty behind as well?
Mike

I had to build up the foldlip with lead to match the other side..easy and strong..

#67 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi all....Finally finnshed the boot area. Took a while... I sPOR 15 the RH inner guard/spare wheel area..I like the POR 15 system. exspecially the water based cleaners/etchers..no harsh chemicals..
Ive decided to soda blast the inside of the boot so I can spray it to original colour...A bit of work..But it will be worth it to get to original again..
More tonight..Getting very cold in the shed..I might have to invest in a gas heater for the shed..
Mike

#68 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi all...Did a bit more after work.
I had a look at the RH door seal..Cut off the bad piece and discovered holes in the inner seal panel. I gave the area a light sandblast to get a better look. I took the piece I needed off the donor car. It’s got a hole in it, but better than the LC, Ill fix off the car then fit, after I repair some small holes in the floor area. I welded some small holes in the front..I think I’ll cut it after the A pillar and weld in as one whole piece..Will be easier than patching, and neater..
I took out the LH shocker mount that was in the rust bath..Rust all gone, Patched the hole, had a rough fit, alls good..Will fit tomm..
I’m going to buy a 3x6 gazebo with walls for a sandblasting area. They have them on EBay for less than $100 delivered. I was going to build a plastic box, but why bother at that price. Ill build it in my shed, That way I can control the sand going every ware...
It’s a long weekend here this weekend, Ide like to degrease the under body, then sandblast and POR 15..
Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 07 June 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#69 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Lookin good Mike, just been through all of this it's a sucky job but totally worth it in the end, two thumbs up from me.

#70 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Lookin good Mike, just been through all of this it's a sucky job but totally worth it in the end, two thumbs up from me.

Ta for that..Im enjoying the job..Its a challenge and new. Will be worth the effort..
Fixed the LH shocker mount to the inner guard..Rust all gone ..
Was itching to try my sanblaster...Put some cardboard around some areas..and had a go at under the boot area...Works well, but messy and if i can keep the sand in one place I can sieve and re-use...
I used 1/2 a 25kg bag of garnet, and swept/vacumed at least 2/3rds back...I reacon only 2-3 bags will do the underneath..Bargain. Will wait for the gazebo..
I recieved my seal ends from Retro Rods...They will do the trick..
Have a good weekend..You all know what Im up to ;)

#71 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi all...I didn’t get much time to spend on the car on the weekend..Had to keep the family happy..
I got a chance after work today to sandblast the LH inner guard, weld 2 seams shut, patch up a little rust area on the lip of the LH guard, POR 15 the underside of the boot area and sand, undercoat the rear beaver....All done. Looks good, rust is gone..took a while but it was worth it..
I’m not too sure if I’m being too fussy, but I’m getting ALL the rusty spots out...I only want to do this once!!
More to come.
Mike

#72 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Awesome stuff Mike! Really enjoying the progress. Keep it coming :clap:

Edited by oz772, 12 June 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#73 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

its lookin good mate

#74 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hi all...Did a bit more tonight after work..Was a nice day..
I fixed the rusty LH inner seal and floor area..I use a piece form the donor car...
Took a while. Got good weld penetration, which is good for me to see, gives me confidence with the rest...
I neede three pieces all up to fix...I still have to do the front bit..I have made a new piece.. Will weld in tomm. and rust proof...

Mike

#75 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Question..Has anyone had anything to do with Gavin from Retro Rods?
I order some seal ends, they arrived, but they look nothing like his pics....Im not sure if I can/want to use them?? They seem a bit dodgy, and for the price..Well Im not too happy..

the pic off his site

supplied piece, nothing like pic.

The profiles are way out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users