8/70 RALLY RED LC GTR XU-1 REBUILD

The rebuild

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#101 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Puts a smile on my face cause I know I don't have to do it again lol. You're doin a great job Mike we're all hangin on the updates.

#102 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

nice repairs mate, your getting through it :spoton:
just curious what sort of spot welder you got? whether it was one of the kelarc spot weld guns or the real deal? Anyway whichever one should make it much easier for your build. i'm borrowing one to fit my new front guards instead of plug welding them.

cheers

http://www.ebay.com....=item35b85c920d

#103 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Puts a smile on my face cause I know I don't have to do it again lol. You're doin a great job Mike we're all hangin on the updates.

Hi Chriss...I have been following your thread about your dads car..Well done....I see its getting closer...

#104 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yeah Bro that sucker's done the build updates are behind real time as I had to keep it a secret from my sister who is a torana nut.

#105 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hi all...I finally got the RH A pillar off.
I made some bracing first out of some scrap I had laying around...A bit of an over-kill... But hey... It wont move... :)
I placed the old door back on, got some measurements..... Test fitted the new door... still a bit short... Nothings changed.
Took a breath and off I went...wasnt too hard as I did the LJ earlier on...I didnt notice any movement when the pillar finally came off... Must of been the over-kill bracing.

To my surprise, there is no rust under it.. First time.. Maybee Im getting lucky..
Ill fix the speaker whole before I place the new pillar on... will be soo much easier...
Ide like to replace the whole kick panel as the donor one is perfect, but I’m worried it might move the car tweak when I take it off, the LJ did...It’s a solid mount and holds the front inner guard in place..
I think I’ll just cut out the piece I need and leave in place...Will take longer. More headaches, but in my instance...a lot safer...
Mike

Yeah Bro that sucker's done the build updates are behind real time as I had to keep it a secret from my sister who is a torana nut.

Howd you keep THAT a secret?

#106 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

Lotsa shuffling the thing round and everyone was sworn to secrecy. Six years Man, f u cks me how she never found out.

#107 runs9z

runs9z

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LC coupe

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Oh..I forgot..The rear window bottom channel is completley gone from the LJ..The LC's isnt too bad..But as Im taking out the rear parcel shelf..Im replacing the rear mould with this..

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1439.l2649

Or should iI bite the bullet and buy this and put in..

Hey mate where abouts can i get one of the these :driving: your resto is unreal mate very inspiring

#108 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi all......I managed to get the RH kicker panel done...No more speaker hole...
Was fairly easy to do..Turned out great...No warps..
I used a piece of alumin bar to keep straight as I welded it in..
Good penetration, its as strong as when new..
Now, the dreaded A pillar..I have been putting this of..But no reason not to do now..
Mike

#109 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Looks like a shop bought one, good job.

#110 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Great work, that is true dedication to the restoration,

Regards Simon

#111 _pico76_

_pico76_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Looking good, keep up the good work.

Edited by pico76, 03 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#112 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi all....
Well, what a day... I finally did the RH A-pillar.... What a job.. It took 12 hours total....
I had to fix a rusted area on the donor a pillar.. Easy job.. Now I’m confident there is NO rust in the RH A-pillar...
I tell you what; the hardest part doing this was getting the hinge pins in and out. This needed doing a few times, what a joke...
I cleaned, re-greased the closer and putt it back together.
I made sure the door opened and closed with NO lifting at ALL. Then made sure all body lines were straight, matching.. Was fiddly and time consuming but doable. I had to move the latch plate a few times to get correct and also move the A-pillar around.. I used Tech screws, pop rivets and clamps to hold while adjusting...
I had to weld in a washer on the bottom hinge to raise/take the slack out of the worn hinge..no probs, worked well..
I put the guard on and made sure the gaps were the same between the door /guard and door rear pillar. Came to about 6mm..
Welded in, Put the door back on.. And all done.. Yippee.... Bad news is, the left hand side needs doing...
I made a small vid of how effortless it is to close the door. It sounds clunky as there are no rubbers. It closes with NOOO effort at all..Would be better if the mechanisms were new, but not bad for a 40 year old car that has been to hell and back. The pics dont do all my work justice..
Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 03 July 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#113 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Metal work god.

#114 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Heres the Youtube link.
http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Metal work god.

Not me..Just a tinkerer...And willing to try things..

#115 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

I just had a thought..I forgot to mention that I plug welded the pillar on..I havnt recieved my spot welder yet and I couldnt wait..

#116 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hi all..II did a little more tonight, didnt spend too much time out there..I was itching to see how the 3 pieces fiitted back on..They were in the rust bath for a couple of weeks..Rust all gone, as new..
All pieces fitted ok..Havnt done the final cut yet for the window piece..will wait untill I POR 15 the whole area.
Im still not sure how Im going to go about cleaning in the window vent area..Ide like to sandblast and POR 15 that area.. Tricky, I dont want to cut. Any ideas????
Now, either to do the bottom door seal and seal end or to move on to the LH A pillar?.
Ide like to do the door seal's on the rotissiere...Would be easier...
Next time.

Edited by mikecatts, 04 July 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#117 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I started the LH A-pillar this arvo..... Seems to be not as bad as the RH was..... I cut out some rusty bits, then pealed back the outer for a better look....
Its pretty rusty, Can be saved, but My replacement is much, much better.. So here we go again..
I started doing the speaker hole.. Cut out the bent, damaged area for a better fit with the patch.. Got it tacked in.. Looks good..
Ill finnish tomm...
What I discovered in this area up top, that its more rusty than the RH side. the rust goes up the window from more.. I will brace a bit more before removing..
The bottom seal end is rusty. .Ill sand blast and see if it survives..
Next time..

#118 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that brings back memories.

#119 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hi Grant..
How you going.. I see your getting closer with your car.. Keep it up..
I did an A pillar..Took ages, but it’s done... Ta for the advice.. I needed it.
I’m doing the LH side now.. I’ve done the kicker rust repairs today.. No more speaker holes and rust.. Should keep the water out now.. I can’t believe some one would cut holes in this area???? Dummies.. That is where ALL the water come from that rusted the front area.

I took the A pillar off the donor car, its soaking in the rust bath.. Will get to replacing the pillar next week after I decide which door to use.. The donor door is looking good..
Mike

#120 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hi all..
I had some free time to myself today.. I wanted to have a look behind he LH A-piller outer skin, just to see what it was all about while I had the chance.. It was a mess from rust anyway.. I took it off and sandblasted the inner hinge plate/pillar.. It turns out its fine..The rust was from the outer skin.. A couple of small holes.. I compared it to the other and its ok... Ill have a think if I want to remove and replace with the whole A-pillar off the donor or just do the outer????
Tempting to leave the inner as Ill rust proof and fix, at least Ill know there is no rust there.. and wont have to stuff around fitting the door on and off 2 doz. times .
Ill think about as I see it will be no harder than replacing the whole lot..
I got to save the seal end.. Its in the rust bath.. If anything, I have something to copy.
Mike

Its bloody cold here in Adelaide, getting below Zero at night..

#121 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Hi all....
I havnt done too much his week... School holidays. Ive been putting togethet some trikes for my son and his mates to do some hill runs.. The latest craze for teenages.

anyway..I started to do the LH door..I decided to put in the rust bath as it will get into the corners and kill the rust.. I put a fountain pump in the bath to move the solution around.. This will speed up the process.
Ill have to leave for a while. I fixed ALL the rust in the LH A pillar inner skin... Turned out ok.. The outer is in the rust bath as well...
I think ill leave the inner on and just replace the outer.. The LH door fits sooo well I dont want to upset it.. hence leaving on the inner... Probably not the right/quickest way of doing the A pillar... At least I know the inner is fine and the outer has NO rust..
I filled in the antenna hole as Its a way water can get in.. Im not having a radio, so it doesnt matter.
Theres not to much of the LJ donor left... Anyone need/want anything off the LJ???
Getting there.

Edited by mikecatts, 14 July 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#122 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Poor old girl.

#123 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi all....
Spent some more time on the LC today.. Im waiting for the LH door and A pillar to finnish in the rust bath.. So I decided to do some patches under in RH front inner guard..
Cleaned it up and found some rust..
Cut out the pieces and done the usual repairs.... I had to do an inner and an outer patch on one area. When cleaned up, you wont know.
While I was there I decided to fill the extra holes drilled in the inner guard. There were a few. The red areas are the ones ill do tomm and finnish grinding.
I opened up the front cross member mount.. I knew it was stuffed, It was so full of crap..mudy stinky S%$#T... It was wet as well... And no spacer tube.. all rusted away.. I assume its the same on the other side.. Check out the pile of crap that came out.. Thats what I can reach.. Im going to open up from the floor.. clean and rust proof.. I think it needs doing on both L/R sides.. Well I found my next job.. :-)
next time.
Mike

#124 _oldfella_

_oldfella_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

keep up the good work on your car, it will all come together for you. i am thinking about doing the whole floor plan on my second gtr , same colour as yours but more rust. Vic.

#125 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

keep up the good work on your car, it will all come together for you. i am thinking about doing the whole floor plan on my second gtr , same colour as yours but more rust. Vic.

Hi...How can ANY car have MORE rust than mine???? Seems every time I look at another piece,, Theres rust..
Im wanting to clean/rust proof the chassis rails.. So it seems i will be doing the floor as well....
Oh well.. Just another job...
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users