8/70 RALLY RED LC GTR XU-1 REBUILD

The rebuild

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#776 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

Keep plugging away mate.I feel your pain.I make better money building gates, than doing rust repairs on other peoples cars, were it always gets personal.It will be nice once your cars complete, think of the beers and fishing.In all fairness LC LJ toranas are a hard car to restore.Door hinges and that front end painfull. Prefer restoring my LX hatchback anyday.anyway take care mate.

#777 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

In your current situation (which I have no idea what it is) which car/s do you plan on keeping to drive and enjoy?

Hi Marty.. Ta for the kind words.. I learnt as I went  and I hoped my posts helped others, which Im sure they did..

I enjoy the challenge of working on these cars... Just no money for the time spent..

Ive kept 4 cars.. including the xu-1... Lj gtr, LJ XU-1 and the HB sedan.

Hi Mike,

Always enjoy reading you're build thread, such hi quality work.
Please write you're book one day it would be a great source of knowledge for all the LC,LJ tragics out there.

Cheers Graham.

Ive started a draft copy  for the book already.. LONG trem project..

#778 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

Still progressing..

Seat frames re-zinced.. better than rusty frames, I didnt do the front seat backs as they are ok and I have to paint the outer bits after I give them a quick sandbalst.started the diff, got the radiator flushed and tested..new shockers and gathered some bits that need a sandblast and black satin paint..

plodding along

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 17 December 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#779 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

it was my understanding that they were correct LC 150's with faint stamps on the face.

Hi Grant. they are correct, but being niave to the subject, I took your word that they were ready to bolt on and use.. I didnt really pay close attention when I recieved off you.. Just put in the corner with the rest of the bits..

On further inspection as my engine builder wants them..

Not bolt on at all and they aint that good, full of some kind of grit, and very loose butterflys.. If they were rebuilt.. not a very good job..

They have ALL had major work on them. Im not too happy about the sleave put in, looks crap.. and the bezels on the butterfly shaft tells me that they leaked there..

Nothing like how they are meant to be.. not worth the coin I paid as I had to get another set. Ive taken all of them to my carby guy and said " I only need 3"......

My bad, I live and learn...

Not having a go, just stating facts.. Your still a nice guy in my books..

the last pic is with out the butterfly shaft work.. as per original. The supplied ones look pretty crappy as they are..

Attached Files

#780 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

Hi all..

Got the XU-1 dash facia set done.. redid everything.. Guages have been tested/recalibrated by VDO here in Adelaide.

Looks as close to original as I can get...

Another piece of the puzzle done.

On these I didnt use prinstripe.. I didnt like the joins.. I used a full sheet and layed over the whole lot and cut the highlights out.. Using a very sharp scalpel and lots of patience.. Looks way better with no joins.. and heaps cheaper than the $600 they want just to do the vacume chroming.. and it wont fade or scratch off.

another piece of the puzzle done.

#781 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

The grit in the carbs could be the result of moisture getting in and mixing with fuel. It then forms a jelly which blocks everything up. Once it dries out it forms a grit something like fine sand or salt grains. Ultrasonic cleaning may be necessary to ensure internal passageways are clear.
Water and carburetors don't mix.

#782 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

If the grit from moisture in the carbs gets soaked in fuel again it'll return to its jelly state and block everything up.

#783 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Hi all..

Its been a while so I thought Ide better do an update..

Im still waiting for my engine and interior... Been waiting now since before christmas...... takes ages... Its out of my hands.. nearly 6 months for retrim.. come on????? Motor,, well I cant push him as hes doing it for a favour for me.. and its all in house and wont leave there for any reason, he has ALL machinery to rebuild it back to original 3100x 1970 spec...

anyways.. Ive been getting bits ready, rebuilt the back breaks, refurbished some more LJ underdashers, rebuilt starter motors, alternator with the 3" pulley. got my quarter vent hardware rechromed  not a cheap excersise. new seals in gearbox and fresh paint. all shifter bits rezinced... and lots a of rezincing..

Painted the wheels and centre caps..

Getting there slowly.

Attached Files

#784 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

oh.. Im still awaiting for my carbies as well... and I rebuilt the fuel pump..

Attached Files

#785 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Nice work as usual Mike. :spoton:

#786 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

Looks like photos from a factory catalogue. Nice one.

#787 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

Looking good Mike - very nice work as usual! :spoton:

#788 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:26 PM

Awesome,cant wait to see this car finished . I'm putting finishing touches on my lc before it goes for licensing.Keep that high standard going mate.

#789 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

Thanks guys..... I try.

Ill keep plodding along..

Ive been playing with the wrinkled finnished glove box lid and ash tray.. I have original ones to copy..

Heres a pic of the finnished product.. Turned out very nice and very close if not exactly as they were....

Mike

Attached Files

#790 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thought we has lost you Mike.

Good to see some updates again.

Extraordinary work as usual.

#791 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

Hey Mike nice work, how did you get the wrinkle finish in the end? Who is doing your trim?

Cheers Dave

#792 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

Thought we has lost you Mike.

Good to see some updates again.

Extraordinary work as usual.

Yes its been a while.. Family matters have been holding me back..

I got rid of all my wrecks/donours and the ones I wont do.. I kept some.. enough to keep me busy in my old age.. wont do for a while though.

#793 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hey Mike nice work, how did you get the wrinkle finish in the end? Who is doing your trim?

Cheers Dave

Winner products are doing my trim.. farking expensive 5k to do the seats, door cards, rear parcel..... Think Ive been ripped???? and 6 months wait...

Im doing carpet etc.. to do my full interior is about 8k.... thats cost and me to assemble/fit. farking expensive money pit this car has turned out to be..

My mate had some original GMH factory wrinkled paint in a tin.... Needs temp of about 100 deg C to work correct ( i put in the oven, dont tell the misus).... Dont know what its called, He assure me its what they used... Its old but usable...

I can do others for you guys.. about $200-250.. depends on how much work to get ready for paint.. It needs a very clean subsatrate to paint as there is no primer involved... straight on bare metal and oven..

Edited by mikecatts, 15 May 2016 - 08:19 AM.

#794 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

Ok.. back to the build..

I rebuilt the gearbox yesterday.... all set up and ready to go...

and Im doing some dash restos for some extra coin.. LC GTR XU-1 full redo and a HG GTS dash ..... Takes time to get right, correct font and paint..

stripped, cleaned, painted...

Attached Files

#795 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:05 PM

nice work mate keep it up..

#796 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

Gday Mike,is it possible to get a side angled picture of your clutch over spring assembly. If you havent fitted it. The metal fork with spring and nylon yoke under the dash. Im chasing a picture for reference. I think mine looks worn.Many thanks Cob.

#797 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

Here you go..

Ive installed it but I have a spare that is a tad worn.... I have highlighted how it should look... I put a better one in the car.. 

Im installing the interior now.. Sick of waiting for my engine...

I got excited as I have my interior and wanted to install.... Only to find out I cant yet as I have to fit  the rear end on as I have to feed and adjust the handbrake cable.... I dont want the carpet butcherd... Excitment died real quick..........

Im fitting the seat slides then fitting the seats. Will be neater...

Got the heater box in.. prick of a job... Glove box insert and lid.. crash pad, pedals, all sealed with strip caulk..

when I installed the heater box.. I didnt use any of those rubber gaskets.. moister traps.. I used the strip caulk as per manual..

Heater box tested and working, Im testing ALL electrics as I install...... being safe.. so far so good...

Guys advice.. make sure you hook up and PARK the wiper motor befor you get the heater box on..  you dont want it around the wrong way!!!!!!!

Ive had my front calipers rebuilt by PBR Adelaide, new discs/pads.... I wont fit until front end is on the car..

Getting there slowly..

Im aiming to have the car done, sorted, drivable by the SA Torana show in Novemeber.. Ide like to enter it.

Attached Files

#798 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

More pics.

One thing Im not too happy about..They painted the calipers black when I stated silver??? I assumed they would water blast and leave as is.. Nope....

Im not pulling them apart to clean the paint off.. Make sure you STATE loud and clear that you want original looking silver???? and the cost??? fark..me.....

Pic of interior... Winner Products did them.... My opinion of Winners is that they aint as good as they used to be..

I got another company to fix for me... way better than what Winners did... It shouldnt of come to that...

Attached Files

#799 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

I got a chance to redo a HG radio facia.. I got it rechromed, painted and redid the lettering by hand.. very tedious, time consuming job...

Turned out very nice though...

I also poilished the knobs, new chromeand I  made him a "HOOD" knob as well...

and I got another LJ underdash done as well...

Attached Files

#800 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for that Mike,thats exactly what i was looking for.My metal yoke has the same amount of wear.I was thinking it had to be half of a 5/16 diameter.Are they all elongated that from the factory..?..I'll post a pic of mine later..thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users