#801 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

Looking awesome mike good to see you got your seats done by someone decent this time lol...

#802 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

My pleasure..

all the ones I have spotted seem to have the same shape? only know what Ive seen.. The pad that it sits on seems to ware.. I found a decent one and used that..

Thanks for that Mike,thats exactly what i was looking for.My metal yoke has the same amount of wear.I was thinking it had to be half of a 5/16 diameter.Are they all elongated that from the factory..?..I'll post a pic of mine later..thanks again.

Ta Daryl... You could of told me about trimmers??????? Found out the hard, expensive way again!!!!!!

Looking awesome mike good to see you got your seats done by someone decent this time lol...

#803 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

I went to the engine builders today..

my engine is stripped, hot bathed and nothing wrong. Hes orded the new sleeves (im wanting it back to "00", it was at a very used 60 thou)

forged, custom made pistons as you cannot buy decent 186 pistons off the shelf any more.. $1500 for pistons/rings/pins etc, fark me!!!!! and he explained what was wrong with the stocky pistons and were they let go.. Pretty crappy design when you think about it...

New rods,valves,valve springs studs, etc etc,, a BIG expensive list.Basically a brand new motor.. cam and crank is away getting tested/balanced and see if they can be reused... Hes hinting at getting a new cam.... Ill do what he says.

Head is good, has had a little "cleaning" on the inside? no cracks and in good usable condition.. Im leaving the roller rockers on.. He said he can get the originals back on.. I said no.. as it =$$$$$$$$.

Ill just get a riser plate for the rocker cover..

took some pics of the internal markings.. dont know what they mean.. engine number pad is original and not a restamp..... I dont mind my numbers being on the wide web.. We all know now that know one can copy, that will f%$^kem...

head is correct for my car/engine/date.

He was amazed at the size of the valves.. he showed me a 253 valve and said mine are bigger... Are they 307/350 chev valves out of curiosity??? as no 308's were around.

and Im sure I seen someware that they had double valve springs? He said they were BIG springs with dampners not a "double" spring???????

It has had some slight head work.. well all the casting marks inside the chambers were clean.... Did they do that from factory???

Hes promised it by the end of Aug????

I cant find the crankcase bearing cap part number anyware????

The rods have Holden stamped on them and some other marks? I dont know what they mean..

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 20 June 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#804 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

on another note,,

They kinda laugh at me about my "little red 6".... they are in the big game.. way too far out for me... They have cash to burn... They do, rods and drag cars.. build the cars and engines..

He wouldnt let me take a pic of the workshop.. But I can tell you guys.. I think its cleaner, organised better than most hospitals... And the machines/gadgets.... some vey nice expensive toys there..

check out the size of the engine.. and THAT motor is worth as much as my XU-1!!!!!!! bloody hell...

Have a GOOD look at the Australian made I beam looking chassis on the grey rod engineered by Rod Tech SA..... made to take some very BIG horse power... compared to the black ones chassis, its tough.....

they keep asking me to paint the rods.. I say no...

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 20 June 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#805 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

i thought some bigger pics of inside the engine might help..

Do the markins on the inside mean anything special???

Attached Files

#806 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Mike,
If you use contact glue to double up 2 rocker cover gaskets then you should have enough clearance for the roller rockers.

#807 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Ta for that.. But whats and extra $200... Just need to know if I need a 6 or 10mm spacer.... Hell measure when done and let me know...

#808 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

My pleasure..
all the ones I have spotted seem to have the same shape? only know what Ive seen.. The pad that it sits on seems to ware.. I found a decent one and used that..

Ta Daryl... You could of told me about trimmers??????? Found out the hard, expensive way again!!!!!!

Sorry mate i thought you knew who i used your last trimmer is like a used car salesman lol.....

#809 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

bla bla bla. :D ....... I should of asked before I did it.. oh well...... live and learn..... ;)

Sorry mate i thought you knew who i used your last trimmer is like a used car salesman lol.....

#810 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

bla bla bla. :D ....... I should of asked before I did it.. oh well...... live and learn..... ;)

Ah dont be like that mate haha but yeah there are a lot of @#$/& out there......

#811 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

Ah dont be like that mate haha but yeah there are a lot of @#$/& out there......

no pun... Well something good came out of it.. I delt with a very profesional, nice group of people in the end.... and they liked my dash redos as well... Hint, Hint..

The interior cost me a few bob... but its very nice....

The problem was that the first lot cut the strapping wires too short and they were pulling through the vinyl, they are meant to be long and bent under the frame to stop that happening....... Hes comment was that hed better get the guys to lift their game... WTF??????

and my expensive door cards didnt have any holes at all.

He said just to use some scissores? I didnt comment and now they are punched and heat sealed as per original... not by them.

Lucky that is the last thing I have to get some one else to do.. all in my hands now.. 

Im still waiting on my carbies.. its been 4 months now...

#812 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

no pun... Well something good came out of it.. I delt with a very profesional, nice group of people in the end.... and they liked my dash redos as well... Hint, Hint..
The interior cost me a few bob... but its very nice....
The problem was that the first lot cut the strapping wires too short and they were pulling through the vinyl, they are meant to be long and bent under the frame to stop that happening....... Hes comment was that hed better get the guys to lift their game... WTF??????

and my expensive door cards didnt have any holes at all.
He said just to use some scissores? I didnt comment and now they are punched and heat sealed as per original... not by them.

Lucky that is the last thing I have to get some one else to do.. all in my hands now..
Im still waiting on my carbies.. its been 4 months now...

wow mike that is frOcking unbelievable mate....and your spot on your right they are great professional people...

Edited by bullitA9X, 20 June 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#813 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hi all..... quick update..

Ive got my carbies back.... 1st set I purchased were totaly stuffed and not fixable..... waste of 1k...

Got my hands on another better set .. Thanks OZ72.....

after picking up from a very slack carby builder I took to another and 10 days later they are done.... Total cost of carby build, including the dodgy set is $3800..... expensive items, but what can I do.... all ready to go on and fine tune once engine is running... I have some NOS white tops to put on later as the ones on it are a bit sad..

My motor should be back by the end of Oct..

The car might be ready for the SA torana show but I dont think so, Im dreaming.. Pitty as I really wanted to show the car at least once before it goes..

Mike

Attached Files

#814 ZUSE

ZUSE

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name:ZUSE
  • Car:GTR TORANA
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Hi all..... quick update..

Ive got my carbies back.... 1st set I purchased were totaly stuffed and not fixable..... waste of 1k...

Got my hands on another better set .. Thanks OZ72.....

after picking up from a very slack carby builder I took to another and 10 days later they are done.... Total cost of carby build, including the dodgy set is $3800..... expensive items, but what can I do.... all ready to go on and fine tune once engine is running... I have some NOS white tops to put on later as the ones on it are a bit sad..

My motor should be back by the end of Oct..

The car might be ready for the SA torana show but I dont think so, Im dreaming.. Pitty as I really wanted to show the car at least once before it goes..

Mike

looking good mike a lot of time and $ but all worth it you'll appreciate it when its done 

pity about the first set of carbies life goes on 

keep up the good work

#815 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hey Mike

This rod looks like cast date could be G0 = July 1970

post-10252-0-95784500-1466410725.jpg

This rod looks like cast date is K2 = October 1972

post-10252-0-26126600-1466410741.jpg

#816 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi Dave. Im not using those rods.. the engine builder has got me some better after market rods with better/stronger bolts/studs.. cost was $500.. The original engine was thrashed, rebuilt a few times by the look.. was at very worn 60thou.... The oct 72 seems right as from my research..it probably was the last time it was rebuilt.. ill check the rest when i see it again...

Hey Mike

This rod looks like cast date could be G0 = July 1970

post-10252-0-95784500-1466410725.jpg

This rod looks like cast date is K2 = October 1972

post-10252-0-26126600-1466410741.jpg

Im plodding along John.. your car looks nice.... yes..I live and learn..

looking good mike a lot of time and $ but all worth it you'll appreciate it when its done 

pity about the first set of carbies life goes on 

keep up the good work

#817 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hi all....

Not much has been happening with the car.. Im still waiting on the engine.. over a year now... It better be good when done...

Got the diff in. hooked up the hand brake cables.. cant adjust untill I do the brakes... Cant get interior in until engine is in and brakes are working..

Im thinking of making the carpet as per original so I can adjust the handbrake cable with out having to strip the interior to do...Wont look as nice but will be functional.... Now I know why they did it that way....

Dash bits are in and working.. The guage post aint blue enough or the speedo/tacho is too blue.. Ill put some blue LEDS in guage post and see if that helps.. are they ment to be VERY blue????

All electrics are working after sorting out the stuff ups.. I couldnt get the dash lights working.. I discovered that they wrapped the main feed up in the loom..I had to strip and pull out and put the clip on.... while I was stuffing around there I found that one of the globe holders was missing the "spring".. replaced that while I was there.. Also the brake warning light plug was 2 differnt sizers.. It didnt work so I re-did that as well.

The loom I got made had a few issues.... Had to take it out and redo some bits.. So much for the "expert" job???????

Not too good in my opinion..I should of done it myself as to paying $700 for some one else to do, only for me to redo it...Trades in Aus aint too goood latley.. Just want your cash....

Mike

Attached Files

#818 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:49 AM

Looking very nice mike as usual mate and your spot on most manufacturers just want your money and don't give a frOck about quality.....

#819 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Way too much blue in the Speedo & Tacho Mike. The lighting in the 2" instruments looks about correct.

post-10252-0-58727300-1479680524.jpg

#820 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:22 AM

Looking very nice mike as usual mate and your spot on most manufacturers just want your money and don't give a frOck about quality.....

Im learning slowy.. Seems with restoring these old cars that you cannot trust what people say.. Take it with a pinch of salt knowing its probably wrong.. Its a very expsensive learning curve though..... Ive had a few dramas on the way doing the cars..

But Im a fast learner...

Edited by mikecatts, 22 November 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#821 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:27 AM

Way too much blue in the Speedo & Tacho Mike. The lighting in the 2" instruments looks about correct.

post-10252-0-58727300-1479680524.jpg

Thought so..

Dave.. In the speedo/tacho there are only white LEDS, not blue, mounted in the original "blue" plastic cups on the back... I have white LEDS in the small guagers as well??????? and the small guagers have the "blue" plastic ring in there....using all the same whattage LEDS.... in ALL bits. As you can see, major differnce in colour?????

#822 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

That is interesting Mike. Do the speedo & tacho lights appear that blue to the naked eye or only in the photo?

LED's????? The original bulbs are incandescent.

#823 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

That is interesting Mike. Do the speedo & tacho lights appear that blue to the naked eye or only in the photo?

LED's????? The original bulbs are incandescent.

they are "blue" as per pic...Does the type of bulb matter? The leds are not the cheap directional ones, they a throw the light evenly. Seem to have a more even light than the original bulbs.

I chose LEDS as they burn cooler... Most dashers Ive done have burn marks form the original globes on the blue plastic bulb holders.

#824 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

If you want the original look you'll need to go back to the incandescent bulbs or perhaps remove the blue bulb masks from the speedo & tacho lamps.

#825 MictheAussie

MictheAussie

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Name:Mic
  • Car:LJ

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:18 AM

Mike, have you checked the voltage going into the LEDs for the different gauges? In my experience differing voltage can change the colour of LEDs slightly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users