Nsw Club Rego Questions

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 _carbyman_

_carbyman_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

If a Torana is plated L20 engine code can it be fitted with a 308 and be able to be club rego'd.
It will also have a M21 and Banjo.
Or is it up to each club on what can and can't be done.

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Majority of financial clubs will expect you to be a member for 12mths and attend X amount of club meetings/runs before they will supply you with a club letter headed letter to supply to the DOT for application of concesional rego.

#3 _carbyman_

_carbyman_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Thats not what i asked,
But yes i am a member of a club have been for a few years now,
My question is clear ,can or cant or up to the club

#4 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

This has been discussed several times within the STC,

Clubs have different interpretations of the rules in regards to period modification /accessories allowed for historic club rego

I think a 6 to a V8 will be no problem, as this was a common modification, as longs as the engine is in keeping with what was around in the 70's/80s

Banjo and M21 are ok, but 9inch and 5 speed are not lol..

#5 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

H plates in NSW are for unmodified cars. No ifs or buts, RTA rules are very clear.

Vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with NO alterations except for safety features.

A club might accept your car as the RTA relies on them to follow its published guidelines however if you have an accident and they find out that the car should be a 6cyl and it's got a V8 then you'd be basically driving an unregistered vehicle.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vehiclesheet/historic_vehicle_clubs_policy.pdf

Edit: In my experience and interpretation of the rules the post above is not correct. You cannot put a V8 in as a period mod but call the RTA and ask. I think I know what they'll say......

Edited by CraigA, 14 May 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#6 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Thats not what i asked,
But yes i am a member of a club have been for a few years now,
My question is clear ,can or cant or up to the club

Wouldnt you be better off posing this question to your club then?

H plates in NSW are for unmodified cars. No ifs or buts, RTA rules are very clear.

Vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with NO alterations except for safety features.

A club might accept your car as the RTA relies on them to follow its published guidelines however if you have an accident and they find out that the car should be a 6cyl and it's got a V8 then you'd be basically driving an unregistered vehicle.

http://www.rta.nsw.g...lubs_policy.pdf

Edit: In my experience and interpretation of the rules the post above is not correct. You cannot put a V8 in as a period mod but call the RTA and ask. I think I know what they'll say......

Geeez sux to be you guys in NSW.... $160 per year for concessional rego and have your car any way you want it provided its RWC.

Edited by hanra, 14 May 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#7 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with NO alterations except for
safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options,
if desired.

Define : period accessories and options, if desired.

Why can't this be an engine swap/upgrade

#8 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

I accept your view but as an example my FC is completely unmodified except for a stock 149 red motor. Same number of cylinders and plenty got modified to this configuration as soon as the red motor appeared in the EH. Clearly period.

The vehicle didnt even need an inspection when I installed the 149 in place of the grey as its considered within 10% upgrade limit.

Possibility of historic rego is nil.

I think it would be very risky for any club to stamp the h plate application of a car that has been repowered from a six to an eight but ultimately the RTA would decide.

The CMC and it's member clubs pushed for the h plate scheme specifically so cars would be preserved in an unmodified state. Does the club you are in have a rep go to the CMC meetings? Maybe you could ask their view?

I would make the same recommendation to carbyman. Ask the RTA or CMC.

#9 _carbyman_

_carbyman_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Craig
That is the answer i got if it had a 6 originally it Cant be on Historic rego unless it still has the 6
I just wanted to find out if i was led up the garden path as we dont fit into our clubs "normal" run of the mill cars with OUR own other cars
But when i questioned to why, as i thought is would be period mod with a 308 as the LH and LX came with a 308,
Seems fairly SHIT in my eyes as its a factory fitted engine,

#10 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

If the plate was removed, there is no reference to the original motor.

#11 _carbyman_

_carbyman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Warrenm
I knew there would be a loop hole

#12 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

It depends on how strict the individual club is. In many clubs, a different engine or transmission is allowable as long as they were options in that models series. Same with colours or trim, as long as they are correct for model they are OK. What would be wrong with an SL hatch which left the factory with say an L20/M20, but it now had an L32/M40 using all the correct parts from a wreck.

Some clubs as so strict that they don't allow changes to other factory colours or engine swaps like I've mentioned. An early model club that I know of won't allow FX/FJ Holdens to convert to 12-volt, a bit too severe in my book.

But as they say, it's all in the interpretation of the RTA wording:- "Historic vehicles manufactured 30 or more years ago are eligible for conditional registration if the operator belongs to an Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority)-recognised historic vehicle club, and the vehicle has not been altered except for certain safety features or period accessories. The vehicle's use of the road network is restricted to club events."

The way I interpret that is, NO modifications, but anything that was optional or available (& legal) as an accessory at the time of sale should be allowed.

Dr Terry

#13 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I agree with Dr Terry's comments and would like to add that it also depends on the person who has the job to approve/disapprove historic registration for their club.

I looked at putting my matching number SS white hatch on historic rego with a certain club (who I won't mention) but got knocked back because I had flares and a droptank, yet other clubs are ok with that.

#14 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

People see the h plate scheme as cheap rego. It's not that at all, it's a scheme developed to allow club members to use their factory specified cars on club events. Simple.

One of the ways to prove that any mods were period is to provide adverts from the day. I think this would be quite simple with the flares and drop tank. But doesn't the drop tank need engineer approval?

Each to their own but I can't understand why you would want to put something as cool and driveable as your SS Hatch on club plates!!

#15 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

You're Craig and thats why I kept my hatch on normal registration. I can drive it anytime I like and that suits me fine.

#16 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

308 could be optioned in any specification.........
That's all I've got to say.......

#17 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thank god I dont have to go through this shit when approving club rego. Torana=over 30 years old=club rego :D

#18 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Thank god I dont have to go through this shit when approving club rego. Torana=over 30 years old=club rego :D

Looks like QLD is the smart state after all?

#19 _carbyman_

_carbyman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Finally i have seen the light at the end of the tunell with positive answers to my questions thanks DR TERRY
From also making enquires myself today from a non club member of my club.
It can be allowed to fit the 308 into our L20 car providing "your club" will allow it. "ours currently wont"
Craig I agree with you 100% about the cheap rego perk but in my own personal case we have our
2 x daily drivers a hsv and navara
2 x full rego'd torana's one of them has done 11500km in 12 years and i wouldnt put them on H rego for the freedom to drive whenever factor
2 x more torana's we want to rego in the near future that can allow us to drive them on club outings
With more in the pipeline "WHY" do we want so many Coz we Can thats why
What does that = to much $$$ per year thats my reason to H rego

#20 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

I've got my Torana on H-plates & average about 4000 kms per year. I'm happy to restrict my driving to club events for the cheap rego, but if funds were unlimited then it would be on full rego.

#21 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

HI guys

with regards to Club Rego, these are a few of the simple rules that our Club follows..

Engine Size:
HB - can be fitted with a four cylinder motor
LC - LJ can be fitted with a straight six motor (including triples) only (no turbo's or V8's);
TA - can be fitted with a four cylinder motor
LH - LX can be fitted with a V8 (Max 5.0lt)
UC can be fitted with a straight six motor.
These engine comibinations were period options that could be ordered in the day.

With regards to Flares these are classed as period mods for LH - LX only.

With regards to Gearboxes, what is the problem if you change a 4 speed to a 5 speed?? Unless you look really hard, most people wouldn't know it's had a change.

Obviously things like Hornet Scoops, blowers, etc are a no no..

We have over 40 cars on Club Rego at the moment and most of these are stock and those that are not follow, these basic rules.

At the end of the day, it's a decision that the Club has to make and has to be comfortable with. The members/ owners of these cars are very happy with the fact that they can get cheaper Rego and insurance and in return the Club asks these members to reach a req'd amount of run/ meeting points to enable them to stay on Club rego. The reason for this is because we have seen in the past a couple of members who got their cars onto Historics and then we didn't see them for 12 months.

That's how we do it anyhow.....

cheers
Mick

#22 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

What do you guys pay for club rego for 12mths?

#23 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

What do you guys pay for club rego for 12mths?

NSW: $52 per year

#24 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nice!

#25 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Looks like QLD is the smart state after all?

Yes, yes it is!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users