power steering unit for LH

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 _paulbrasell71_

_paulbrasell71_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hey forum -I'm sure this topic has been covered many times before (in fact there is a thread on here with 377 replies dating back to 2005) but i'm considering pricing up a power steering unit for my 75 LH w/308 -Has anyone on here done or had one done recently? -Im not particularly mechanical myself but the guy who does my mechanical work reckons it would be a good idea (the 245 front tyres are a pain in the arse to turn while sitting still) -It would be good to be armed with a bit of solid info next time I talk to him -I hav'nt read the other thread thoroughly yet but it would be good to hear from someone thats successfully figured out a way to do a reasonably simple conversion with easily readily avaliable parts (probably jap I guess -dunno about Aussie but in NZ we have heaps of jap imports) -and something that dos'nt require too much modification -thanks in advance for any input

#2 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Read it - http://www.gmh-toran...power-steering/ and if your lucky Axistr might still have some racks left!
I got mine -Posted Image

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

All the answers are in that thread

And the guys closing up shop... so get in now or you'll have to do it all over again yourself

The old way was with a Cortina p/s rack and mods to the crossmember... but Cortina racks don't grow on trees

Theres really no "easy" way

#4 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Lenny (Axistr) is the easiest and best path for pwr steering on an LH/LX. They are extremely good quality and great value. Sad loss for LH/LX owners now that he has closed up shop.

Edited by LXSS350, 22 May 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#5 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

How much these Power Steering rack kits selling for??

#6 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

Pretty sure its "all over" now ...... but read the thread and find any questions you have on what was done.
http://www.gmh-toran...post__p__454233

#7 _paulbrasell71_

_paulbrasell71_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

yeah I got in touch with Lenny (Axistr) and he said he had one unit left for $2700 -bit out of my price range though with GST and freight to NZ etc

#8 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Gotta give it a thumbs up at that rate, considering the recon rack, the engineering and peace of mind

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

I don't disagree but the problem for us poor buggers on this side of the ditch is all that adds up to over $4K...

#10 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

fair call

are there many of you left there?

#11 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

Consider the alternatives and the research and engineering to go into making something else fit and work

If I was building a big tyres car and wanted to drive if often I'd consider this a wise investment and a once in a lifetime chance

#12 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

4K? ....that's a lot of protein bars & gym time! lol

Might be easier to fit 7" on the front? :dontknow:

#13 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

What happened to the good old days when Torana drivers had big fat front tyres and considered pwr steering a dirty word?
Lenny has turned Torana owners into pussy's. :nopity:

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Consider the alternatives and the research and engineering to go into making something else fit and work

If I was building a big tyres car and wanted to drive if often I'd consider this a wise investment and a once in a lifetime chance

As I said I don't disagree and I had intended on buying one at some stage in the future - but sadly there's no way that's in the budget for the foreseeable future and you are right about the once in a lifetime chance now...

4K? ....that's a lot of protein bars & gym time! lol

Might be easier to fit 7" on the front? :dontknow:

Nah, I have 17x9s with 255s and 4 degrees of caster on the front already, the steering isn't excessively heavy

What happened to the good old days when Torana drivers had big fat front tyres and considered pwr steering a dirty word?
Lenny has turned Torana owners into pussy's. :nopity:

Its not about the weight of the steering, its about the speed

#15 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Push the accelerator pedal to the floor (that lightens the steering effort needed). LOL :stirpot:

Edited by LXSS350, 25 May 2012 - 07:37 AM.

#16 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

Its not about the weight of the steering, its about the speed

Sorry I misread that. You want less wheel turns? What ratio rack you running?

#17 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...steering-racks/

#18 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Yep got all that. Less!

Anyway this wasn't my thread, didn't mean to hijack it...

#19 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

G'day Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments, Just to clarify a few things, an added bonus with this kit is it's easy to turn the wheel at all speeds. The big thing it has variable rack ratio and better lock, around two degrease left & right. It just makes the car handle so much better. I did some ratio checks ages ago and worked out to be around 15.-1. when driving the car you don't even think about moving you hands to turn, I just look where I want to go and the car just seams to turns in. Its like driving a late model Holden Commodore. Even with 14x245 tyres up front I have Zero bump steer. With power steering racks it's like having a big steering damper on you steering system which further enhances you steering.

I have spoken to two owners with the cortina setup both stating that it was a bit of a lemmon and had many issues, bump steer being the bigest problem and more turns lock to lock than the original torana rack for less steering lock. My rack people said the cortina racks were a lemmon when new in the Ford cortina's.

One owner replaced his K frame and went back to a LX rack. The other big plus with my system is it can be installed without doing any mods to the car, we fitted a kit last year to an original A9X, the owner wanted the vehicle to be bought back to original if needed at a later date to keep it's original value.

I thought most of the interest for power steering had passed but maybe not, I just have way to many things happening in my life at the moment and if I do decide to do any more it won't be for some time.

Many Thanks Lenny.

#20 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

My Cortina rack has less bump steer than the Torana factory rack and is definitely much quicker than the Torana rack. It was around the same turns lock to lock as the Subaru rack, I think it was 2.5 turns.

The Cortina rack does not have enough travel for full lock, from memory it was around 10 mm short either side. It did not matter much as Toranas are not very happy with full lock anyhow.

The only real downside of the Cortina rack is that you have to cut the k-frame.

#21 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Lenny, if or when you do offer your power steer system again, I will purchase one from you. I should have done before but was parts collecting other things.

Ando

#22 _UC225_

_UC225_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Me too! I had a few "financial" issues this year that stalled the project a little (ok a lot) or I would have already had one,

Not that I need it just yet, but keep my name on the list for when (if) you throw some more together, gives me time to get some money together again.

#23 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Just found this in my web travels:
http://www.facebook....15412087&type=3
(PG Hydraulics is a company in Auckland)

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Just found this in my web travels:
http://www.facebook....15412087&type=3
(PG Hydraulics is a company in Auckland)

Nice find.

#25 _paulbrasell71_

_paulbrasell71_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks 76lxhatch for the link to PG hydraulics in Auckland -I spoke to the guy there and they do a set up with a modifyed subaru rack -He was familiar with a place in Aussie that made a kit for around $2800 so I assume that must be Lenny -He said a kit would be around $3600NZ for the basics or up to $5k to drive in and out -still a bit out of my price range at the moment so in the meantime i'll take Statler's advice and do some gym time to help wrestle those 245 eagers out my driveway -ha ha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users