76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Interesting, probably the bare minimum or a little less than one of Axistr's racks could have been imported for. I thought it looked like it was basically the same Subaru setup, it may just be the angle of the photos but I'd be checking the forward mounting distance as it looks like it sticks out a bit (this would affect Ackermann angle/toe out on turns which is already bad enough).

Personally I'm not too concerned about cutting the cross member, I'd rather do that and have the steering rack mounted in the best possible position, it can always be replaced anyway.

#27 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Doesn't look like the Forrester rack. Could be a WRX version. Cant judge the mount position from those photos so Ackerman change is guessing. Sure he can tell anyone how it compares to the standard racks centre line. Be interesting to see what travel and tie rods he is using. Obviously using the KRC pump setup which from memory have constant flow/pressure.
http://www.gmpracing...steer-pumps.php

Is about A$2800 which is close to line ball with Lennys Subi Forrester conversion.

He might do some extra business with Lenny having a rest. No one else in Australia is doing them as far as I know? Got to give it to the Kiwi's (might not be many left in NZ) but the few left certainly like their aussie muscle cars and are doing some great builds.

Edited by LXSS350, 30 May 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#28 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Looks like it could be the same rack to me, if not the same then it is still a Subaru rack. They appear to have tackled the steering head modifications by making thier own. The Axistr rack rotated the steering head by welding on new mounting tabs. Looks like it would have a little more clearance for the LSX motors.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Axistr Rack
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 30 May 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#29 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Cant judge the mount position from those photos so Ackerman change is guessing.

Definitely guessing, just the last pic showing it fitted from underneath kind of looks like there is a gap. From my own measurements the rack basically needs to be hard against the (unmodified) cross member to get the original mounting position. Could be any number of other changes on that car though, looks like there are some interesting things under the bonnet.

Didn't notice that the rotary valve was custom on first look, that's quite cool.

I've come across another option which I'm working on...

#30 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Very interesting, they are not using the same Subaru rack as me and I would think this unit would not be variable ratio. As lx76hatch has stated with the large rotary valve you wouldn't be able to get it back far enough to get the steering arms centre line correct.

It's hard to see the angle in the photo of the input shaft when mounted to the K-frame, or maybe they do cut the K-frame to get it to sit back further.( this is very important ) Also I don't know about the inner tie rod centre line intersections. Going by where the bracket hole to the right K-trame mount bolt look like it is quite a bit out. Most wouldn't pick it but after spending so much time trying to get my system right I know what to look for, but it is hard to gauge from a photo. The rotory valve also looks to be a fair bit higher, of concern would be fowling with the drivers engine mount.

Is it just me or does it look a bit agricutural too. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to pick it to pieces just looking at the differences between the too units.
I wounder where they got the idea from, looks close.

Lenny

#31 _paulbrasell71_

_paulbrasell71_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

The guy in Auckland I spoke to on the phone said he had been approached by a few people asking for a system similar to the Aussie made ones and showed him a few pictures from a car magazine -He also said he had talked to someone in Aussie that makes them so if that was'nt Lenny then maybe someone else over there is making them -more likely he talked to someone that had bought one of Lenny's set-ups and was just giving him info -He did'nt seem to have heard about this forum strangely enough

Edited by paulbrasell71, 30 May 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Actually if you look at the two pics that l2lxhatch re-posted above, you can see the tubes that mount the rack to the original bolt holes in the Torana cross member sticking out the back of the rack - if the rack is mounted to the bracket assembly in the finished position then it would push the rack too far forward for street use. Might be OK for racing if you wanted to run reverse Ackermann with a fair amount of toe in on turns...? Or significantly longer steering arms (possibly with a really quick rack ratio to make up for it)?

#33 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Very interesting, they are not using the same Subaru rack as me and I would think this unit would not be variable ratio. As lx76hatch has stated with the large rotary valve you wouldn't be able to get it back far enough to get the steering arms centre line correct.

It's hard to see the angle in the photo of the input shaft when mounted to the K-frame, or maybe they do cut the K-frame to get it to sit back further.( this is very important ) Also I don't know about the inner tie rod centre line intersections. Going by where the bracket hole to the right K-trame mount bolt look like it is quite a bit out. Most wouldn't pick it but after spending so much time trying to get my system right I know what to look for, but it is hard to gauge from a photo. The rotory valve also looks to be a fair bit higher, of concern would be fowling with the drivers engine mount.

Is it just me or does it look a bit agricutural too. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to pick it to pieces just looking at the differences between the too units.
I wounder where they got the idea from, looks close.

Lenny

You know LH/LX Torrie owners don't want you gone for too long Lenny. Lots of pretenders creeping in .... LOL. You have done way too much work on pwr steering for Torries to just let it go to dust. People think zip of spending $20k+ on a driveline but then clam up tight on brakes, handling and geometry. Tight ass owners don't know the value of good engineering.
Hows that Taxi going?

#34 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Couldn't agree more, looking at it closer I picked that one up to. It must sit out quite a bit so the rotary valve doesn't fowl with the engine mount and K-frame. You would need steering arns around three inches longer then a rack travel to suit.

#35 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thanks LXSS350 you right, Guys let me have a bit of time out for a while. The last 30 years of going flat out have left me a bit tired. when we get settled in the new house and the shed is compleate I will see about getting back into action.

#36 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

The guy in Auckland I spoke to on the phone said he had been approached by a few people asking for a system similar to the Aussie made ones and showed him a few pictures from a car magazine -He also said he had talked to someone in Aussie that makes them so if that was'nt Lenny then maybe someone else over there is making them -more likely he talked to someone that had bought one of Lenny's set-ups and was just giving him info -He did'nt seem to have heard about this forum strangely enough

Probably just a buyer of Lennys rack gave the basic info. The only other person to do a lot of work on pwr steering is Matt who is very knowledgeable on geometry and Toranas. Yet to find anyone else in torrie land that has Matts understanding of engineering solutions within the standard torrie mounting limitations. Matt of course had his own issues being LT5 powered and his research helped owners understand the consequences of moving the rack position from standard. Lennys research and solution just centred on developing a direct bolt-in replacement.

#37 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Lenny a change is as good as a holiday ..... LOL
You will always be a Torana guy and soon get the bug back.

$3k for what you offer is a steal imo.

Will put up some photos showing Lennys superb racks in action later (when we stop cutting rust) .

#38 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Don't have a prob with price was quite willing to get one just thought i would have plenty of time to get one.

Lenny if you ever start making these again give us plenty of warning so i can budget when or if they are done.

Enjoy your semi-semi retirement and we will all just have to sit tight until you decide if and when you will start them again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users