KZ400

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Well hello now. Seeing though i spent the time last night to kinda update the LJ build thread, i deemed it appropriate to start a new project, and subsequently a new project thread that likely wont be updated frequently due to lazyness.

TBH i still have the shits with the LJ after a few issues i've been having with supplied parts purchased at great expense, so time to play with something wilst NOT spending money...Immediately anyway.

Enter the 74 KZ400.

Some of you may remember some silly picks i put up in the Random picture thread a couple of weeks ago.....

Posted Image

Turrible, Turrible riding position.

Posted Image

Epic riding position, lock it in Eddy!!!!

Cheers.

Well, i wasnt actually joking......

Been procastinating what to do with this bike for ages now, picked it up from the last swap meet 10 months ago for $50 just cause it was old and cool and its kinda been shuffled around the shed the whole time.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I did dick around with it a bit, and spent another $50 on points and concenser (i pointed out in the bike shop that they cost me the same as the whole bike lol) and got it to run reasonably well considering i hadnt bothered to clean out the carbs or anything, so thats promising.

I kinda had a view in mind of what i wanted, Cafe style (i can see dirtbag cringing right now), and saw a few picks of similar models that im using as a bit of inspiration atm.

But how to achieve the look i so desire???

Then it hit me like a freight train about a week ago.

I picked this up for $100 a while ago pretty randomly, mainly cause it was there (i have a bad habit of doing that)

Posted Image

Its a 96 CBR 250 RR frame, wheels and most the brakes lol.

Hmmmmm.......Bit of tape measure work....Its worth a shot i decides.

Suddenly.....

Posted Image

Nek Minnut

Posted Image

Nek Minnut

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hmmmm.....Surprising how close it is to fitting, so close but so far.

The CBR between the insides of the swingarm is about 10mm shorter, so that gives me a bit of room to play with with spacers etc. Axle is the same dia on both bikes.... At the moment the sprocket (which is the wrong tooth width sadly, thought i might get lucky) is about 10mm to far outboard whilst trying to get good alighnment, i've got a few ideas how i might tackle that.

The tyre also hits on the swingarm, i could fix this by going to something a bit smaller like a 120 (currently a 140) but we will see. I would much prefer to chop the swingarm, need to investigate legalities........

Also the brake calliper interferes with one of the shocks, think i'll just move the shock out a bit.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Seeing though that had come close to fitting, and i'd only been dicking around for an hour or so, i decided to get greedy....

Posted Image

An Den

Posted Image

An Den

Posted Image

Again, surprisingly close to fitting. Turns out the KZ top bearing is the perfect size for the triple tree, but the lower bearing doesnt fit. Its currently dummied up by just knocking the lower race out of the CBR and sitting it there so it looks like its on lol. It is bolted up and holding weight, i'll investimagate it properly at a later date, tonight was just a frOck around.

Threw the tank back on to have a glance

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thus far, i frOcking love it.

Total time spent so far about 3 1/2 hours. Total $$$ spent (over a period of about 12 months) $200. Total awesome value, priceless.

Theres a few other little perks to the bike, being a 1st month of 74 model, it gets away from a couple of ADR's that came in in the first month of 75....Namely mufflers and blinkers!!! AWESOME!!!.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 22 May 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#2 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Looks killer for 2 unje,

What's the plans for paint scheme

And knowing you this things problem gonna end up either turbo charged or fed a big shit of gas!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Cheers

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Paint scheme is undecided, Kawasaki Green and strait orange tinter will feature though, im sure of that. Its gonna be frOcking bright.

Prolly keep it relatively stock engine wise, Intention is for this to become a daily, eventually.....As the blade is all but sold and i dislike driving everywhere.

Cheers.

#4 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thats awesome. Looks cool already.

#5 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

this is fvcking cooool

#6 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

LIKE LIKE LIKE.

Just think what you could accomplish if you gave up jerkin the gerkin all together

#7 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Nice DJ. I love that look. Now if you had a bobber seat on that, with some nice satin grey painted frame, against that bright orange tank, polished 400 motor with heat shield wraps... That would be frOcking awesome.

Still loving it so far.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Well as it sits i could reasonably easily go either bobber style or Cafe style....I actually started tossing that up last night.....

Quick update, the front forks are now mounted securely. Did a bit more dicking around and a bit more robbing parts from here and there and were set, its now rideable, front end atleast lol. When i pull it all back apart for paint im going to skim 4mm off my nice bottom spacer (the old CBR inner bearing race spun upside down.....) and it will be frOckING PERFECT....

HOW EASY WAS THAT???

Had to neither buy a thing or touch a lathe.....

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 May 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#9 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Well as it sits i could reasonably easily go either bobber style or Cafe style....I actually started tossing that up last night.....

Quick update, the front forks are now mounted securely. Did a bit more dicking around and a bit more robbing parts from here and there and were set, its now rideable, front end atleast lol. When i pull it all back apart for paint im going to skim 4mm off my nice bottom spacer (the old CBR inner bearing race spun upside down.....) and it will be frOckING PERFECT....

HOW EASY WAS THAT???

Had to neither buy a thing or touch a lathe.....

Cheers.

Jeeze imagine trying to do that with your Hardley Doesatonne? It'd cost 20K and cause headaches. As I said looks cool. I say buy both seats and rear cowls so depending on mood you can be either... Awesomeness.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

The Hardley Dawdlingalong requires no such modifications :P

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 May 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#11 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Re: Making the Bobber, to change it from a cafe to a Bobber, I'd just fab up some 30ish mm pipe and mounts on either end significantly lower... Awesomeness.

#12 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

needs bigger engine.....

Posted Image

#13 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ NOW THAT LOOKS frOckING AWESOME!

#14 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Twins are gay. Big bore single is the business!

Update!!!!!

#15 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

lol im sure bomber could give u his play station GTA update

no the vtr v-twin..... such a horn engine

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

I actually have a VTR 250 and box sitting out the side of the shed in a go cart.....

Put all the kawasaki hand controls on the Honda bars, they all fit, beaudy. Then spent the rest of the night frOcking around with the rear end trying to work out how the frOck im going to do that.

New swingarm will be made hehehe. Plus lots of machining to come, but im confident it will work, worst case scenario i will have to drop back to a 130 but pretty sure i'll be able to keep the 140 on there. Who woulda thunk a simple back wheel swap would be way harder than swapping an entire tripple tree bar fork etc setup.....

Cheers.

Cheers.

#17 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ahhh VTR I agree with. But I do like big bore singles...

#18 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

simply to keep the bike chatter going so that bomber has the motivation.....

the firestorm would have to make one of the nicest dailies and because they arnt as sexy as the sports bikes they are cheap!

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I would really like to build a bobber with something stupid like an IT490 engine.......One day, let me play with this one before you lot put to many more ideas in my head haha.

Deposit taken for the fireblade, will be cashed up soon.......

Cheers.

#20 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

The VTR's are awesome motors. I actually wanted an RC51 before I got the blade.

DJ next time you should use an SR frame or even an old 500 2 stroke frame.

Cash means updates? Awesome.

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

The starter motor is awesome??? Will keep that in mind. Might be usefull on something else.

What are the engines like though??

For the Go cart i half built i figured the 45hp the VTR 250 ENGINE put out (and its starter MOTOR that began the fun) would be adequate, its not a big cart lol.

Might start a thread on that when i get back to it.

On a less picky note, i nearly picked up a VTR 1000 a few years ago, V4, it would have been lovely i recon. Didnt randomly, should have, oh well.

Cheers.

#22 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

The starter motor is awesome??? Will keep that in mind. Might be usefull on something else.

What are the engines like though??

For the Go cart i half built i figured the 45hp the VTR 250 ENGINE put out (and its starter MOTOR that began the fun) would be adequate, its not a big cart lol.

Might start a thread on that when i get back to it.

On a less picky note, i nearly picked up a VTR 1000 a few years ago, V4, it would have been lovely i recon. Didnt randomly, should have, oh well.

Cheers.

Well being a twin will have nice tractable torque.

Surely you mean a VFR. Which is a V4. VTR's have always been twins.

That kart will be a ball tearer. And reliable to boot.

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

yes VFR 1000, my bad, a correction for a correction, eye for an eye, etc lol.

Cheers.

#24 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

VFR1000 Buggy maybe?......just throwing ideas around to keep Bomber focused

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i7zX0IOyzhM

#25 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Now that is a way to get to work in style!

I love the Yamaha raptors the yanks drop the 1000cc + engines into

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users