- - - - -

SLR-08

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

Hi to all I�m fairly new to the forum so thought I would say hi and tell you all a little about my car. Some of you may remember it from price check where it was posted by Toranass.
Toranass found the car for me, it was in country Victoria parked under a homemade carport in a paddock where it had sat for about 8 years. The car was looking a bit sad, but closer inspection revealed that it was not to bad. A bit rough around the edges with the only rust being a little in the drivers door.
Posted Image
The car is a genuine SLR/5000 it has all the right bits and has not been messed with too much.
Posted Image
My plans are to give it a bit of a tidy up and enjoy it for the moment with a full rebuild coming a little down the track.
Posted Image

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

Looks mean! Whereabouts do you live? I'm sure a lot of other people and myelf would love to see the car in the flesh some time.

#3 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

well done another one saved....

#4 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

that is one nice slr5000, the colour really stands out i bet youll get a lot of looks in that!!

congrats on owning such a fine piece of machinery.

#5 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

I�m from Werribee I�m hopping to take the car to the meet you guys are having at Heathcote next year so you might be able to see it then. I have only driven the car once as it is in need of a new distributor and a tune, it�s amazing how much attention it gets. It must be insane when you guys go on a club run, I could only imagine the reaction from the public.

#6 _SiC_

_SiC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

looks tuff as congrats :D

#7 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

I like the colour! Will it be a 'back to original' clean up or something else? :)

#8 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

Apart from the flares , it looks fairly original from what I remember in the pics. The only thing I say is lose the 80's look raised arse and centrelines lol, but thats personal choice.

#9 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

Flamenco, the colour will remain the same and I will be keeping the war paint I love the colour its not very often you see an SLR in this colour.

I agree with you completely REDA9X I never have liked centrelines I�m not 100% sure what wheels to use but I�m thinking either Simmonds V5�s or B45�s with colour coded centres.

Any thoughts ? :unsure:

#10 _MediuM16A2_

_MediuM16A2_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

looks great, congrats.

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

yeah simmons always look good, but i wouldn't go colour coded, i'd try something like a gun metal grey centre myself, or silver. I guess it's a bit of trying different things till you find something you like and then can buy tyres for.

#12 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

Looks awsome mate! I'm a big fan of the warpaint myself.

I aggree on going with simmons, I reckon colour coded B45s would be sweet.

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

Imagine that on your car. I reckon it'd look good and despite how much I love the 80s high arse look, the Simmons wheels and low all round are an absolute classic that everyone loves.

- I believe the photo is of 'Jewboy's LX hatch and if the owner wishes to have it removed that's no dramas.

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

Another good photoshop chop Heath :) I am impressed.

Oh and the car, yeah one hell of a tough looking ride, as pointed out another one saved cannot be a bad thing.

Cheers
Herne

#15 _EXLXSL_

_EXLXSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have Simmons V5s with 225X50X15 on the front and 265X50X15 on the back and it still looks arse up - better looking than with same size tyres front/rear and higher rear springs. V5s in Torana stud pattern will be expensive (up to $2500ish) if you can find them. Easier way would be to find the same wheels in HQ pattern and change stubs and rear axles over to suit. Overall it might cost the same but might be easier to find and you will get better brakes.

#16 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:16 PM

yep ditch the 80s rear, lower the arse end 2" and that would be one tough looking mutha.

#17 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:33 PM

I don't agree with changing the mags. Centrelines look mean. I changed from the good old hotwires on my old one and went to solid center centrelines. The car never looked meaner.

Posted Image

#18 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

I dont mind the look of centerlines but there not functional. They dont allow enough brake cooling ventilation. I am always reading posts about upgrading brakes but know one seems to give this any consideration.

Edited by Toranavista, 05 December 2005 - 06:38 PM.

#19 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hehhee, dont be silly Toranavista, we all know that everything engine-wise must be stroked and worked to the max ;) Brakes??? who would have thought lol.
This is the very reason I turned down a set of cheap 8" centrelines many months ago.

Cheers
Herne

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

I have Simmons V5s with 225X50X15 on the front and 265X50X15 on the back and it still looks arse up - better looking than with same size tyres front/rear and higher rear springs. V5s in Torana stud pattern will be expensive (up to $2500ish) if you can find them. Easier way would be to find the same wheels in HQ pattern and change stubs and rear axles over to suit. Overall it might cost the same but might be easier to find and you will get better brakes.

It will look arse up because the rolling diameter of your rear tyres is larger than the fronts. I have 225x50x15 on the front, and 285x40x15 on the rear and the rolling diameters are very similar front and rear, making the car sit level on the original springs.

#21 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the pic Heath that�s definitely the way I will go it looks tops, I agree it needs to sit low and level for it to look its best. A brake upgrade is a must, probably to commodore disks front and rear I will convert to Borg Warner diff and maybe hoppers kit or something simular for the front this should make finding rims easier as well.

#22 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:40 AM

Hey SLR that sounds like a very sensible way to go :) Though there are cheaper and just as efficient alternatives to Hoppers I believe.

Cheers
Herne

#23 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

Looks like another Papaya SL/R 5000 to me. A month ago I had never seen one in that colour. Always hatches..
Simmons V5's are a classic for the Torana. They will never date. I had 15x8's and 15x10's on my last SLR. They were the original gold. I am with RED. If I were to do it again I would go for the grey colour they sell them with standard.. They look a treat!

Hot wires are my second choice.

Nice car no matter what you do!

#24 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

Gday Dave,
Mate like iv told you befor your car looks magic, will look even better when u get the simmons you want.

Hows it run now Dave with the new Accel IGN system you fitted.

Cant wait to get mine finished mate and go on some cruzz's, Finaly next summer we might get to cruzz like planed for so many years

John

#25 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:06 AM

A brake upgrade is a must, probably to commodore disks front and rear I will convert to Borg Warner diff and maybe hoppers kit

Very nice ideas you've got there mate... this car is gonna be very mean :D

Make sure you update us on all of your progress ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users