warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:28 AM

$1.18 for Optimax Extreme :huh: The price for ULP was $1.28.9,$1.35.9 for Pulp as I look across the street to the fuel depot.

#27 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

I thought the 100 gear was with 10% ethanol, or is that just the stuff offered in SA by Liberty? I'm going to wait and see how it all pans out before I start using it, I was reading that most car manufacturer's don't recomend it for their cars, and we are talking modern cars. What damage are they expecting it to do? It is going to be 3c more expensive on average than 98 RON from what I hear.

Peace,

#28 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:23 AM

shell had there new optimax extreme today.. was $1.18. Apparently 100 octane with 5% ethanol. I thought adding ethanol was supposed to make petrol cheaper? Wasnt that why everyone was pushing for it? So far every place ive seen is more expensive.. so whats the point?

Whats the point? Perhaps do a search on ethanol? many sites you can go to, perhaps start at ethanol.org.
If thats too hard, some starters:
1. Its quickly renewable - ie not a fossil fuel
2. Produces less toxic emissions
3. Produces less CO2 per unit of energy.

#29 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:06 AM

The point is we have been sold a pup, the fuel companies are going to continue to f__k us over every chance they get. get it!

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 26 November 2005 - 05:07 AM.

#30 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

My understanding of ethanol in fuel is that is rasies the octane level about 4 RON, well iirc that's what liberty claim with the 94 ron, which has 10% ethanol in it. IIRC.

From what i've read, ethanol will eat some rubbers and possibly some very soft plastics. Eg fuel lines, rubber seals on carbys / fuel injectors to mention a few things. It also absorbs moisture, so in older cars with vented tanks, sitting around for a while in the shed could be bad news. We are talking rather high concentrations of it here tho, 10 - 20 % shouldn't shorten the life of these parts any further than normal use/abuse does. It also shouldn't cause moisture problems in your fuel in a DD, as the fuel is used up quick enough, not to mention most ppl DD newer cars with sealed tanks and other emissions gear, which in the age of ethanol blended fuels can be a good thing. I might just have to refit on to my panel van.

The interesting thing is that in the USA, there is a rather large range of cars built each year to run on a brew called E85, yeah you guessed it 85% ethanol. So it can't take too many changes to make a car run properly for a LONG TIME on ethanol blended fuels.

If the car manufacturers here are saying to stay away from ethanol blended fuels, there's more to it than it's " bad ". They use substandard materials for fuel systems? :unsure:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users