Home Improvement

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#201 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Righto, time for a slight update on whats happening around here, and some more stupid questions.

Firstly, fence. Were getting there, finally. The neighbor on the right has agreed happilly to play along, goody, the owner of the flats on the left hasnt got back to me, that section of the fence is short and reasonably cheap so im just going to cover the whole thing, frOck it. The old lady on the left back is still being an absolute Daisy Chain. Now she wants a frOcking nib wall as well, so i've had to get onto the fencing mob to try to get a new quote. This also has to go through all of her tree roots etc, im really unimpressed, but, im trying to get something sorted this week. Hopefully hopefully.....

Apart from that the yard is looking reasonably clean, didnt get any picks but its coming along nicely. Basically widdled all the stuff from around the yard i dont want down now.

The shed is also reasonably clean now, with exception of the LJ pulled apart again across two bays and another engine half pulled down taking up another bay, i kinda have enough room for three cars again haha (plus the two in there now)

Dad has purchased a little caravan type thing on a double plot in a caravan park, permanent majigy, havnt seen it yet but he seems pleased, so he will be moving out in a bit under two weeks. This free's up a lot of space on my end, and i'll be able to use his room to stack everything i dont want in the other rooms whilst i start working around the house.

I"ve been fairly thinking about what i wish to do to the house, being pretty broke isnt helping so its not going to be anything fast, and have a pretty good idea, but recently i've been thinking about something else....

Council approval. According to the council plans my house still has an outdoor toilet. The shed is there luckilly. The area built in around the outhouse which is currently the laundry type area and the pergola are not on the council plans.

What should i do about this? The laundry type area and a form of the pergola have been there for like 30 years now, we have had council inspectors etc around looking at the shed and that kinda thing and no one has picked up on it, but before i go spending money on those areas i thought i should get some other oppinions.

Whats the go with council approval on such a thing? Whole area is asbestos sheeting so im guessing that would be a downer from start, im assuming they would class something like this as a "new structure" even though its been there forever?

should i try to get it approved? Should i just leave it? Should i do what i wish? Or should i knock it all down and start again with approval......These are the questions running through my head atm.

Been trying to catch up with a chippy mate, the lad who rebuilt the pergola about 20 years ago actually, about what would be involved with approval....

Few other q's burning in my mind atm, but thats the main one.....

Cheers.

I had a similar issue when I wanted to rebuild/ extend my lean-to. The house was built in 1910 so the council had no idea there was even a structure there. I'm guessing it started as an out house and eventually someone built walls around it and attached it the the main house.

All I ended up doing was demolishing it and rebuilding slightly larger. Have since put in applications for other structures which clearly show the re-built lean-to and it's dimensions and have all gone through without a problem.

These day's with google earth, it would be very easy to prove that the structure has always been there and it's not your fault the council didn't keep good records from the past.

#202 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

just class it a re-vamp DJ ( needs repairs so you repaired it ) thats what we did at my olds place with there top story varanda, council didnt say sqat because the was already a structure there, we just made it a tinnie winnie little bit bigger and put a bull nose roof on it.

#203 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Stupid old lady is going to get a shock.

Arranged an ammended quote with her nib wall, its an extra $1000.

So that takes that section of the fence from $1860 to $2860.....

I think im going to offer to pay $1000 as my half, thats more than half the cost of the colorbond fence i agreed to.

See what happens tomorow night. From what i gather theres three options, she agrees, she doesnt get her nib wall, or we go to court, correct?

Now, re the stuff not on council plans, im not really followin what you guys are saying being a total house/land retard, but basically it might not be as bad as i thought??

I've been toying with the idea of taking it all off and doing something different, might even work out a touch cheaper...Dunno.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 24 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#204 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

More i think about this the more i kinda like it.

Something like Jims idea from a few pages back, i kinda maintain i dont know where to starat with such a thing but it would be cool.

These doodles are no where near to scale, but the numbers are roughly right.

This is what i have now/what i was going to do kinda thing.

Posted Image

I kinda did both at once, not really thinking. Thats basically wahat i have now, where the "home brew" is marked out there is where the "kitchenette" is marked in that pick, the rest is about where it is. Extending that rear sections roof out to 7.6 wide was my plan.... middle section is the current laundry type section thats all asbestos....

But seeing though i was thinking i may have to demolish the back half, i kinda started pondering this idea

Posted Image

Again no where near to scale....But you get the idea. Would probably be easyer than i first thought, and cheaper than re walling the current laundry section...As basically waht i need is a 6x7.6m lean to, could be made out of shed type materials to make it easy, all painted to look nice. No ceiling. Minimal walling, just around the side o the kitchenette area and the side of the laundry type area. Would give me just enough room to get a car through that area to. I could also start with a fresh slab a little higher instead of working with the totally #@$^%& slab thats currently in the laundry area. Could also keep the roof higher at the shed end. hardest bit woudl be moving the shitta, where i moved it to in that pick has plentiful water plumbing, and the shit pipe probably wouldnt be that hard to move, can i do such a thing or do i need a licensed plumber?

Ideas ideas........

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 24 October 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#205 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

i'd pay a plumber dj
mucking around with pipes is a recipe for problems
not to mention all the digging etc involved....

#206 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I dont mind messing aaround with the feed pipes, i can do that just fine, but probably best to get a plumber to run the log shute though....

I would be digging the trench....

Cheers.

#207 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

As far as the council is concerned as long as you maintain the same "foot print" and you don't go too high or close to the boundry there shouldn't be an issue. That what I was trying too say in my last post....

#208 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ok cool, so how do i get this current "foot print" on the council plans easyest? Prferably in QLD, will do some googling tonight.

Cheers.

#209 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

i'd pay a plumber dj
mucking around with pipes is a recipe for problems
not to mention all the digging etc involved....

not to mention it's a licensed trade and it is illegal for unlicensed persons to perform plumbing work.
Just thought I'd point that out.

#210 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.

That includes messing with the feed side to i take it? Where does that line end, fixing taps etc?

Asking cause i dont know, as i've said 100 times im a total house retard.

Cheers.

#211 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Plumbing is illegal? Where do they draw the line?

It's not exactly rocket science... Plumber mate of mine reckons the only two rules you need to know are 1: shit rolls downhill and 2: payday is Friday.

Almost forgot the most important one! 3: don't suck your thumb.

Edited by RIM-010, 25 October 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#212 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Plumbing is illegal? Where do they draw the line?

It's not exactly rocket science... Plumber mate of mine reckons the only two rules you need to know are 1: shit rolls downhill and 2: payday is Friday.

Almost forgot the most important one! 3: don't suck your thumb.

Plumbing is illegal no we will get any home owner to do gas work wake up and smell the coffee you young blokes ffs

#213 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

IM. ASKING. BECAUSE. I. DO. NOT. KNOW. GENE.

Is changing the gas bottle on the bbq yourself illegal?

#214 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Now your being stupid

#215 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Im asking where the frOck the line is Gene?

Are you allowed to replace taps/etc yourself?

And my comment wasnt entirely in jest, a mate has those big gas bottles for his stove and he is supposed to get a plumber around to swap them over....

Cheers.

#216 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for pointing that out.

That includes messing with the feed side to i take it? Where does that line end, fixing taps etc?

Asking cause i dont know, as i've said 100 times im a total house retard.

Cheers.

Can fix your own taps and toilet cisterns, small stuff like that only.
Just like electrical, only legal for unlicensed persons to change light bulbs, fuses and plug appliances into power outlets. :lol:

#217 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Cool, cheers.

So the sink outside my house is illegal, and the bung i made with a bit of copper pipe bent on itself and soldered up is also illegal, hehe, oopse.....

Bit hard to believe as that stuff is really dickhead proof, and i play with fluid transfer systems up to several thousand psi on a daily basis haha.

That said, tis the way it is i suppose.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 25 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#218 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Im asking where the frOck the line is Gene?

Are you allowed to replace taps/etc yourself?

And my comment wasnt entirely in jest, a mate has those big gas bottles for his stove and he is supposed to get a plumber around to swap them over....

Cheers.

A plumber can't touch gas work unless he is a licensed gasfitter.

#219 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Some blokes arnt smart enuf even to change a washer let alone a tap but changing taps is fine dj just cant muck around with water line and gas line thats all.

A plumber can't touch gas work unless he is a licensed gasfitter.

No shit well frOck me only been in the building trade all my life

#220 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Cool, cheers.

So the sink outside my house is illegal, and the bung i made with a bit of copper pipe bent on itself and soldered up is also illegal, hehe, oopse.....

Bit hard to believe as that stuff is really dickhead proof, and i play with fluid transfer systems up to several thousand psi on a daily basis haha.

That said, tis the way it is i suppose.

Cheers.

Yeah, plenty of people have the ability/skills to do their own, just not the license.

Some blokes arnt smart enuf even to change a washer let alone a tap but changing taps is fine dj just cant muck around with water line and gas line thats all.

No offence intended Gene but I was replying to DJ, NOT YOU!!!

#221 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

2 day course and $400 odd tmk.....

#222 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

No offence taken dave always good to hear your comments
all good mate

#223 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Seeing though were both Davids you should just email me a copy of your license so i can do basic stuff myself Dave :tease:

#224 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Anyway, still banging my head agains a brick wall with this fence. One neighbor on the R/Hs is keen as mustard to go, the one that was in America, rest are being a pita now.

Little old lady is pushing me way beyond my limits, she literally had me to a point where my vision was starting to blur with rage when i went to visit her with the quote for her nib wall this arvy, abusing me over the stuff in my yard (i've taken five car trailer loads to the dump, theres frOck all left), the fact that the roof of my house isnt painted and "looks terrible", the fact that i drink, the fact that i smoke, how my yard isnt nice and green, the state of my work clothes (spray painter, they get like that), i dont have a nice garden, how hard im making all of this (WTF?) etc etc etc. I am so frOcking over this stupid dumb bitch whore its not funny. I have pulled down her fence, helped her move plants, got several quotes for the fence she wanted, got the quote amended when she decided she wanted a nib wall. I came home and put a very nice sized dent in the side of my spare parts shed....... knuckles are rather sore. Keep in mind this all started when i started cleaning up.

Sorry, had to vent.

That aside, pretty sure im going to sit on my hands for a while with everything else bar a few cleanups, will keep some ideas coming in though. This fence has just exhausted me in every way shape and form. I now hate house reno's for now.

May keep throwing a few ideas around as its fun to procrastinate, and im always chasing more info on various stuff....Thread shant die.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 25 October 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#225 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Well, cant sleep, but just made my mind up.

Tomorow im going to march over to the old ladies house, hand her $1000, get a receipt, and tell her to frOcking well organize it herself.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users