- - - - -

LS2 Hatch build

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#351 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Hi mate good to hear from you. I am currently replacing the heater core so the car can still run but I would rather finish it before I drive it again.

I was just out there actually tidying up some wires under the dash so the heater box will go in nice and easy. I just come in for a break with a massive cramp in my shoulder lol, I am getting to old for this haha.

Edited by LHSL308, 30 January 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#352 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hey grant,

Sounds like you want to build your own console, but I've got this one in the shed its a mdf frame. I've seen people mount their stereos and gauges under the vent and 5inch speakers on the side panels. It might be a good starting point. Happy to work out a deal and drop it off. Since yr not far away it might be a good starting point?

Btw it's never been fitted to a car prev owner bought it new

Cheers,

Attached File  image.jpg   371.88K   6 downloads

#353 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hi mate good to hear from you. I am currently replacing the heater core so the car can still run but I would rather finish it before I drive it again. I was just out there actually tidying up some wires under the dash so the heater box will go in nice and easy. I just come in for a break with a massive cramp in my shoulder lol, I am getting to old for this haha.

Ah Wayne, I hear you with getting too old, but someone's got to do it :).
I agree with not driving the car until its sorted, it only creates other problems.

Mat thanks for the offer but in my case I don't think it's worth it. My shifter has been moved back, the tunnel has been raised, and I boxed out my shifter in a way that I think my console will have to finish before the shifter, and somehow tapper down. I'm also thinking I might be able to put a roll top door in it and hide a fire extinguisher in it too. That may be wishfully thinking tough?
ITs been a while since I've used my skills, but I'm a cabinet maker by trade so I really just need to pull my finger out and start with a few prototypes.
Very much appreciate the offer but I think it would be a shame to cut up what you have considering the condition of it. Again, thanks for the thought :)

#354 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Well it's finally sorted and ready to go back in. So much for a week, it took a month and an other rebuild. Getting sick of this!
But, the yo yo is ready to yo once again. I have my sons christening his weekend, then back to the shed. Should be running again for the long weekend. After doing a few local km's I will hopefully drive it to work for a few days the following week and be reay for our cruise!
So looking forward to some hassle free motoring!!!

Also thinking of doing a wheel change to the BMW wheel that kinda looks like a Simmons. They are a E36 style wheel in a 16". May suit better than the Momo's I have now

#355 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Holy thread revival!!   :lol:

You've got 24 days to get it rocking and rolling before the 22nd March cruise Grant.

I am sure between visits to the dress shop and the hairdressers you'll have plenty of time to get it going   :fishing:

Looking forward to seeing it fly again!!

#356 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thankfully it's manual so no need for the dress sop, and as for the hairdresser, we both keep the same style.................not enough to worry about so shave! ;)

By the way, I will be ready! Should have it at work in the next week or so, if you available might drop in with it. See ow we go anyway

#357 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

Sounds a plan - you've got my number :)

#358 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

For those attempting to keep up with my engine build, I finally got it started again tonight.
It's nice and quiet up front with just the slight rumble out the pipe. No oil leaks and no tappet noise, about bloody time!
Now just to bleed the clutch, put the bonet back on and test drive. :)

On another note, while under the front looking at the control arms for some weird reason, I noticed the upper ball joint with the nut partly off and no split pin. Took a look around and no split pins anywhere and no lock nuts! The upper in question has stripped the thread and now needs replacing. Needs to be cut off. Not impressed at all. Seems the guys that did my wheel alignment only did half the job. Really not impressed!! Just glad I noticed it before taking my wife and six month old boy out for a drive!

#359 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Great news!  :spoton:

Make sure you put plenty of km's on it to run it in before the 21st and 22nd of March   :ph34r:

#360 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

That's my aim. I got the clutch bleed and bonnet on tonight, and changed the upper ball joint!!
Ready to come home tomorrow and test it, AGAIN

#361 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Took it out for a drive, and I can now breath a sigh of relief. It is quet and smooth. It does seem to be coughing a bit when accelerating from low revs. Don't know why as yet. Will chek my leads are all on properly and check all my wiring is plugged in properly for a start.
All good to go though. Time for some cruising this long weekend :)

#362 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Good stuff mate. Just took mine to Melton today actually and its running well too. Are you planning of giving it a run on the dyno at all?

#363 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Not inthe near future. What I want to do though is get the guy that tuned it to plug his computer into it, then I take it for a drive around the streets, then get him to check it. Just want to make sure the tune is ok in this engine. Will go back to the dyno but not for a couple thousand kms

I'm thinking of oing to Melton tomorrow to the show. Are you going at all? I won't get there until early arvo, got my little blokes swimming lesson in the morning then may load them up and go have a look

#364 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Check your plugs if its coughing, my LS1 was the same. A set of new plugs & it was all good.

Cheers, Nig.

#365 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thanks. Will do

#366 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

I didnt know there was a show in Melton tomorrow, what show is that?

#367 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

It was today. It was at the horse track Tabcorp. I got there at 4, it was meant to finish at 5, but there were no cars left by the time I got there.

Haven't changed plugs yet, but I did put some fesh fuel in it. The fuel that I did have in it was there from our last cruise. With fresh fuel, it was back to normal. Still not 100% but a dam site better. Still may do plugs

#368 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yeah fuel doesnt last long these days especially if its 2 stroke.

#369 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Good stuff it was just fuel.

Funny story. When I put mine on the dyno the tuner asked me what plugs I ran and I said the OEM AC Delco iridium plugs. He pissed himself and said they're rubbish so he pulled them and fitted cheap NGK's. Could be something to it or he might just like NGK's...

#370 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Any idea which NGK your running? Are they the BRP6S?

#371 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

No idea mate. The tuner fitted them. If important I can pull one for you? Let me know

#372 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Nah all good. I did have some cheapies in it a while ago then went the same as you had. Now I don't know to go cheap again or a good set of iridiums. Guess I can go the cheap option ans see what difference it makes

#373 HDT166

HDT166

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:Lx 2 door, VC HDT

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hi mate Did you move the steering colum over by modifying it or just but pushing it over?

#374 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Aaron I moved the whole plate not just the column.

Drove it to work again today after changing plugs. No difference. Stopped past my tuning man to find that while cruising it's all good, leaning out under acceleration. Filled it up with fuel, problem disappears. Points to an issue in the tank. So, I went past where I bought the fuel pickup from and he checked the unit on the bench. Turns out my in tank fuel regulator had shit itself. He kindly changed it for me, and we are all sorted. Left there in a cloud of tyre smoke!! We are all good and back running as it should.
I'm now just over 500km on this engine and ready for Saturdays cruise and Sundays trip to Sandown.

#375 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

How about some update pics grant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users