LS2 Hatch build

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#26 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks guys, makes me feel much better.
The paint is protec paints tinter orange.

Engine comes back from the builder in a about two weeks. Want to have it all painted and back on its wheels ready for drive line. Could be a bit of a task but long weekend is on the way.
Will drop interior off soon as well. I did go to dropit off once before but he wasn't open and haven't had a chance to get back..

Cheers agin for the encouragement

#27 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Im always belting on about how cool straight orange tinter is, use a bit of it at work, love the color.

Cheers.

#28 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

If it ain't Orange it's a lemon, looking good.

#29 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Quick update. I painted the engine bay today, and at last I'm happy with my painting. I went back to my pressure pot gun instead of my new gravity feed gun, and I eliminated the reducer. Now, no runs and a nice flat well covered painted engine bay. I think my issue is the nossel on my gun is too big for the paint. It's a 2mm nossel and I now believe it should be a 1.4mm.. I'm not a painters butt hole but that's my theory anyway.
Photos as soon as I get off the I pad and onto the lap top.

#30 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

here are some photosAttached File  engine1.jpg   185.8K   13 downloadsAttached File  engine2.jpg   210.84K   9 downloadsAttached File  engine3.jpg   199.46K   11 downloads

#31 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Sweet!!

#32 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

here are some photosAttached File  engine1.jpg   185.8K   13 downloadsAttached File  engine2.jpg   210.84K   9 downloadsAttached File  engine3.jpg   199.46K   11 downloads

frOckin love it now thats orange looks real good grant
cheers gene.

#33 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Love it!

#34 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

sweet looking hatch will be keeping an eye your build
keep up the good work

#35 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Been doing small bits and pieces but nothing major.
Painted the diff last night, an touched up a couple small marks underneath.
I have the front end back together, but want to wait for the engine before fitting it in. I was hoping to lower the body down over the front end with engine already in place. Getting jumpy though. If it's not here in the next couple of weeks I will just put it back on it's wheels and go from there.
I'm eager to se how it sits with the new front springs in it. I only had my cut ones in it prevuiosly to acheive the look I was after, and measure up for the new ones. Hope it worked.
Next is start on the fuel tank. That should be interesting!!

Anyway, since this forum is about photos, here is where it is now.
Attached File  forum 1.jpg   151.65K   11 downloadsAttached File  forum 2.jpg   145.1K   9 downloadsAttached File  forum 3.jpg   156.95K   9 downloads

#36 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Anyway, since this forum is about photos, here is where it is now "bet ya all can"t make ya paint run up hill like me".
:stirpot: Great work will watch with interest Attached File  forum 1.jpg   151.65K   11 downloads

Edited by 2runa, 22 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#37 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I have been working on an anti gravity chamber in the shed. As you can see it works well, just need to back off the dial a bit. Ha ha

I am getting good at rubbing out those runs. I have rubbed out the drivers side now and it has come up dead flat. The finished coat done by a PAINTER in an oven over Christmas should come up a treat.
I don't intend on getting much progress before Christmas but once on holidays a different story.

Engine builder rung me today for the rest of my parts so shouldn't be far now. Yippee

#38 _Dr LS7_

_Dr LS7_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

never realy been a fan of anything orange (bit like a red headed step chld) but man that looks gooooooooood......

#39 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

NOICe !!

#40 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi LS2 Hatch great car love the colour you can just call it orange peel she is going to hump with that motor in it keep up the great work.
cheers sting

#41 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hi guys, update.
Seems building an LS2 has many issues to work around. First off I bought a set of hypertectic pistons and "I" beam rods. Seems you can't get an"I" beam rod to suit the pistons. So, take back the "I" beams and pick up the "H" beams. Not a big deal really, just more money. Then the engine builder says " no these don't fit ether". So take the pistons and rods back to get a set of forged flat tops and another set of "H" beams, more money, but finally the engine builder is happy. It seems you can't buy a cheaper piston and cheaper rod to suit a standard stroke LS2. Pushes the budget a little, but not the end of the world. Then the next stress is the lifters. Apparently it depends what engine you have as to what components you use, as in, AFM engines use different lifters and valley cover. Now I'm not much of an engine person, but not an idiot either. I pulled the engine down and gave the necessary parts to the engine builder, but as it turns out not enough parts for him to find out which engine I had. When I worked out that it is an AFM engine, he lets me know that he is confident that it needs different lifters, which I have ordered already , and could well be the wrong ones. After many phone calls and googling, I found out the lifters are different, but, only if you want to reuse the AFM. Clearly that is not on my wish list, so all is good. Now all I need is another valley cover off an earlier engine, or from an LS1 or LS3. More phone calls for tomorrow to various wreckers to round up a second hand one. Seems a new one is about $300, so a second hand one would be good. So at this stage I am still looking at getting my engine back early next week. I just need to pick up my cam, lifters,valve springs and double row timing gear kit and push rods tomorrow and drop them off at the engine builder, and we are all good. I would nevere had thought considering I bought all my parts from the one speed shop, from the one sales person, that I could encounter so much of a stuff around.
On a better note I bought my last two sections of chrome/ polished trims this week, so as soon as the engine comes back, the car will be back on its wheels, and progressing along constantly until completion. I hope!
The misses wants to buy me some new wheels for Christmas, she doesn't like my Momo's. Problem is the wheels that she thinks suits the car are either HQ or Torana stud pattern. My wheels are commodore stud pattern, and more importantly commodore off set. Need to do some searching and see what I can come up with.
Any ideas? I must say though, I like the wheels I have, most others disagree with me

#42 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I don't mind your wheel choice...for something different.
What does the missus have in mind?

#43 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

She prefers something along the lines of a polished pro star.
I must say that The wheels that "it's Paul" has on his hatch ("yet another hatch build") look awesome. They are Boze ZE Forged Injected. I had a look on the Boze web site and they have some great looking wheels. As long as I could get the stud pattern they would be perfect. I would hate to think of their cost though.I'm confident that they would take my budget to another level. Think I will stay as is until finished. I can always change them at a later date.

#44 _browndog64_

_browndog64_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Nice work Grant. Looking forward to seeing the custom interior progress.

#45 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I loved polished prostars.

I agree about doing the wheels last...

#46 _Dr LS7_

_Dr LS7_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

pm sent. Re valley cover

#47 _Dr LS7_

_Dr LS7_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

nice to meet you today Grant, glad I could help you out with the part you needed

#48 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Same here Jake. Got the last of parts down to engine builder late in the arvo. Should have it back this time next week. Bottom end was already together and awaiting the final parts. Bring it on!!!!!

#49 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Had another call from the engine builder today. Seems that if you use a double row timing chain and space out the oil pump to suit, you then have problems getting the timing cover to fit back on. Some hit in areas around the bolts and can have the timing cover machined. Mine hits the body of the pump where the seal sits in the cover, which means, no meat for machining. I'm really getting sick of this engine.
Anyway, another timing kit coming tomorrow, this time a single row Rollmaster, hopefully no more interference issues.

On another note my brother came around the other day and had a look over my body work. He was happy with most parts, just not with the finish of the engine bay. As he explained, on the raised edges throughout you can see through the paint, coverage was not the best. So back to rubbing. It's basically done now. On his recommendations I went back to Protec yesterday and bought some tinter orange COB. The aim is now to rpaint the engine bay and door jambs this week, and still be ready for the engine on the weekend.
I'm really not enjoying this stage. I think that I have been in too much of a hurry. Need to slow down and get it write before moving onto the next step.
All in all I am happy with how it looks though. Just can't wait to hear it fire up for the first time.
Photos later tonight

#50 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

engine almost there. it has progressed from here aswell but i didn't think of photos. I was too pissed off with timing set.
will get photos tomorrow, including of the heads, they are ready also.
Attached File  eng 3.JPG   45.99K   10 downloads
Attached File  eng 4.JPG   43.19K   11 downloads
Attached File  eng 5.JPG   41.79K   11 downloads
Attached File  eng 1.JPG   43.27K   11 downloads
Attached File  eng 2.JPG   47.88K   12 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users