Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I can seriously lessen the load on HVTC members by looking after Bev every time that she is a guest for Toranafest in Newy :spoton:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Barry

PS
Is there any place else that has an 80 room motel with the atmosphere of the "Fest Motel" :dontknow:
AND how far away will each group be accommodated to travel to the "venues of the Fest" :dontknow:

Will the Celebs make the trip to a different venue :dontknow:

The atmosphere that the Fest has built up over the years IMHO will not be the same if it goes elsewhere :sad:

Edited by Pop's-SS, 27 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#77 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Maybe a 2yearly Newcastle event with alternate years hosted in other locations, possibly in some more rural locations to bolster those economies.......

My two cents worth, host the event in Newcastle on uneven years 2013, open the event to be hosted by interested Torana clubs across this beautiful country on even years, 2014, 2016........

and that ^^^ would be the best idear yet.

Sounds like a plan then......

#78 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

^ Looks like you guys are going to busy in a couple of years time then :)

#79 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

^ Looks like you guys are going to busy in a couple of years time then :)

Maybe, maybe not

The HVTC AFAIK have not held their AG meeting yet at which Toranafest will probably be on the top of the agenda.

Sprintmaster, Whiteknight, Statler, Ice, Skapinad, trna76hb, hawk, RTS Guy, Yella Fella, mitchg, wot179, Quagmire and me, have all voiced their opinion against a move away from Newy for Toranafest but take a good look at Big T's posts which poses well thought out questions against the move away from Newy.

It will NEVER be the same if moved from Newy :sad:

Barry

#80 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Nope, we haven't had our AGM yet.

#81 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I vote Ol' Coot - abloodymundra...............not far from http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/maps so I can kick Wayne's butt :)

#82 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

well it looks like you win then pops 13 out of 10,000 members...

but really i was just thinking about those in aus that has never even heard of toranafest and them more you get these cars out to them young kids the bigger the chance that they will live for another 40years.

here is a bit more info for the runners of the fest,,, mabe talk to the hotdog, coffee, and all those selling there products and get them to give you fellars a hand im sure they wont want to loose that one day a years work.

cheers gong

#83 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

but really i was just thinking about those in aus that has never even heard of toranafest and them more you get these cars out to them young kids the bigger the chance that they will live for another 40years.

I couldnt agree more John, Toranafest certainly does provide a format that is family friendly, but more so the actual car show on the Sunday and the cruise on the Saturday than the rest of the weekend. The show on Sunday not only has a huge variety of cars on display but the music, memorabilia, displays and characters make it really something special. There is no reason other states\clubs\cities cant replicate some aspects of this format with out too much extra expense. The Victorians had over 100 Toranas out on their Dam Run cruise and display recently. Other clubs are reporting similar sorts of turn outs for their individual days, for example, SA in 2010 with 110 cars at All Torana Day. Even an informal inter club cruise we do each year attracts around 50 cars to a fellow members property for a BBQ.

The cars are out there and it seems in most states there is already an annual event of sorts that brings them out for the public to see en mass. Just like Toranafest does in NSW. There is nothing stopping these events from taking a few pointers from the success that is Toranafest and applying them to their own shows to increase numbers if they want to. I just reckon trying to pick Toranafest up and place it somewhere else is a hell of a lot of work for a group that is not experienced in running the show and it puts a lot of pressure on the hosts.

That said, if the HVTC members agree to moving the event to Canberra in 2014 it gives the two clubs plenty of time to get organised and transfer knowledge. If the event works and Canberra is a success then it will be two years before the event is hosted elsewhere again i.e. 2016. In that time the annual events of other clubs will have grown in number, hell, even the QTCC might get off its arse and put on a show.... :D which means they (the other clubs) will either be better skilled to run something like Toranafest, or, they will be too busy with their own event to consider it. Whatever the case, more and more Toranas are attending club, state and the national events so I dont reckon they are going to die out anytime soon.

If Toranafest does go national, it wont be anytime soon but that doesnt mean more cant be done now to boost numbers at other events and for clubs to work with one another to achieve this. Actually, that is something I would like to see, more communication between clubs in regards to hints and tips, event running, club runs etc. At Toranafest 2011 two committee representatives from each club were present for a meeting we had re Toranafest and even though it was a short meeting, it was great to exchange ideas and get to know each other. I reckon more of this would benefit the clubs and wider community, I just havnt worked out how to do it yet.

Anyway, Im babbling on but to summarise, Yes, Toranafest in a different state each year would be great but it wont happen for a while, if at all. In the meantime, we can all do our bit on a local level to share our passion and our cars. I do, I run a car club :spoton:

Edited by Big T, 29 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#84 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

^ I truly hope that your members run the car club, our a small group of the willing, and you are their elected representative.

Toranafest could always go biannual (swap years with Cooma Motorfest), or take a break and let other members in the Club run it and provide assistance. I suppose that's the problem, it always comes down to a few to do all the work, and it is always the same people that put their hand up. Don't know how you fix that.

Edited by Yella Fella, 29 October 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#85 _sprintmaster_

_sprintmaster_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

I't wont happen but if it ever came to Queensland Lakeside Park Raceway! What a spectical that would be at such a special place.
We took about 40 toranas there just after the re opening a couple of years back, had time on the track also. Wow 200+cars would
be something else there.

KIAN!
Keep It At Newcastle.

#86 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

well said big T, i can see where you are all coming from.

yella fella
^ I truly hope that your members run the car club, our a small group of the willing, and you are their elected representative.

Toranafest could always go biannual (swap years with Cooma Motorfest), or take a break and let other members in the Club run it and provide assistance. I suppose that's the problem, it always comes down to a few to do all the work, and it is always the same people that put their hand up. Don't know how you fix that.

i also run a local football team,,, and people are always in your ear tring to tell you how you should be doing things but they never put there hands up at the start of the season to help out,,, ho and i have won 4 grand finals in a row.

good luck in whatever you all do.
cheers gong

#87 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I think Tony was more saying that he "heads up" the car cub yella, not that he is a dictator.

Toranfest in Newcastle has the opportunity to grow bigger than it already has, I think this is the issue.

It would be getting close to one of the larger Club run shows around, most are now run by promoters instead of clubs. But thats obviously going to cost entrants more as promoters are there to make money, thats their business. (opposed to the HVTC who is doing it for the love and to help out RMHC)

Its amazing the amount of people you talk to who have no idea that toranafest exists. (especially in sydney)

But that brings on the problem of more cars-more effort-more organisation and the whole problem of HVTC members being a bit worn out still exists.

I think there is no perfect solution. The best thing I can come up with is to involve the clubs around newcastle (like the STC and NSW GTR XU-1 club) and make it a multi club event?

#88 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

id possibly venture to canberra for torana fest as for new castle cant really be bothered driving what 14 hours for a static car show if there was some driving events then yeah id be a bit more keen

#89 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

id possibly venture to canberra for torana fest as for new castle cant really be bothered driving what 14 hours for a static car show if there was some driving events then yeah id be a bit more keen

I think some people miss the point about Toranafest by quoting it is just a "static car show"

Toranafest is an "experience" with the Saturday Cruise, Saturday night Meet & Greet BBQ with the celebs AND the Show'n Shine with the celebs there to sign YOUR gear and mix that in with the atmosphere of the Toranafest Motel and THAT is what it is all about.

The other "experience" of Toranafest is the CRUISE to Newy of which you can usually find a group or club to travel up with.
I've got my SS to USE, and it has been to Tasmania (3,500K trip 2009), to Toranafest (1,300K trip) every year since 2008 and will be going to Tassy again next year.

Even if the accommodation at the Fest Motel is full, you are always welcome to drop by and SOAK up that atmosphere

LONA-CK

well it looks like you win then pops 13 out of 10,000 members...

I'm still waiting for the 10,000 member to voice their opinions on this post.

Agreed that there are questions that need to be answered and the main problem has already been raised ie same ol' people doing the same ol' job every year when there is a need to give those people a break or even help out to lessen their load.

Well I've already added my idea for that and here is another one that we used here in Cootamundra where my wife and I are oganisers for our Fathers Day Swap Meet.

We told our club members at a meeting and also added it to the club's newsletter that we may have to get a community group like Apex/Rotary to man the gates and give them a part of the profits.

Our club has 85 members and that stirred them into volunteering for the gates.

May not work for the HVTC but if I was a member of that club I definitely wouldn't like to see Toranafest profits go any where else than Ronald McDonald House (in Newy) and having it go some where else would be the same as not having a Fathers Day Swap here in Cootamundra and next year will be our 22nd.

I have nothing against the Canberra Club or its members and even considering that Canberra is only a short 2hr drive for me, I still prefer Toranafest to stay in Newy.

Barry

#90 _A9XONE_

_A9XONE_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I, like a lot of other people in this forum have said what would Newcastle be without Toranafest, well for me it would be a shame to lose this icon event.
And as Barry said:

"I think some people miss the point about Toranafest by quoting it is just a "static car show"

Toranafest is an "experience" with the Saturday Cruise, Saturday night Meet & Greet BBQ with the celebs AND the Show'n Shine with the celebs there to sign YOUR gear and mix that in with the atmosphere of the Toranafest Motel and THAT is what it is all about.

The other "experience" of Toranafest is the CRUISE to Newy of which you can usually find a group or club to travel up with.

The club members have done a fantastic job and I hope this continues for many more years!

"TORANAFEST TO STAY IN NEWCASTLE"

#91 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Nothing new Gong. I've learnt what I do over 20 years, but apparently you can get the same qualifications and experience by flicking through a House & Garden magazine. Picked up an award for what I do do this week, which was kinda nice. The project was off the wall.

Don't get me started on the arm-chair experts at car shows.

Edited by Yella Fella, 30 October 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#92 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

ok theres a cruise and a show n shine n a barby with other torana nuts the point im saying is theres lots of things closer to home that are the same sort of event ie car show cruise ect i can appreciate torana fest for that but it doesnt have the excitement to me as a monaro nationals style event does combining a drag racing part to it a motorkhana part would be nuts seeing torrys do what they do best

#93 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

like everyone has said ,

Toranafest is Newcastle, and would be a totally different atmosphere anywhere else.

I have personally seen where the funds go to "Ronald McDonald House" and i am sure it wouldn't be where it is without Toranafest

the other states have there own shows

The "other" clubs just need to help the HVTC

#94 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

There's beer there too Ryan :spit:

#95 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Imo it would be like moving Summernats to Darwin.

Without going back through all 92 post, what was the reason behind thinking about moving it in 2014, just refresh our memories as we seem to be going around in circles.

Is there going to be a vote at your next AGM about it or is it just thrown up for discussion.

#96 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Imo it would be like moving Summernats to Darwin.

Without going back through all 92 post, what was the reason behind thinking about moving it in 2014, just refresh our memories as we seem to be going around in circles.

Is there going to be a vote at your next AGM about it or is it just thrown up for discussion.

REDLJ

Hi all, I would just like to clarify what the Hunter Valley Torana Club is doing with regards to Toranafest in the future.
After informal discussions with the Canberra Torana Club it was decided that we put a motion forward at our AGM in November to our members that we work with the Canberra Torana Club to hold Toranafest 2014 in Canberra.
Why are we looking to do this?
As we all agree Toranafest is getting bigger and better each year.The coordination of this takes an enourmous amount of time and effort by our members.
As President I see that Toranafest is putting too much physical, emotional and in some cases financial strain on our members to run each year.We need a breather!
So we as a committee looked at our choices and agreed to put a motion forward to our members at our AGM that we look at holding the 2014 Toranafest in Canberra and 2015 back in Newcastle.
2013 will be in Newcastle as per normal as we celebrate the 20th anniversary of Toranafest.
That is where Toranafest is up to. We now have to see what our members decide at our AGM.
Just thought that you guys deserve an update on what we are planning and I hope this puts to bed some of the stories that I have been hearing.

If you have any questions please give me a call

Regards
Pete Morris
President
Hunter Valley Torana Club Inc
mob 0432 333 729

There ya go

Barry

#97 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Barry.

The move is only a suggestion and a once of move at the moment so hopefully there has been some interesting alternatives posted to help keep it in Newy.

Just a suggestion but would a $10 donation to the club (or RMH via the HVTC) be any help towards the financial side of things and would it be classed as a tax deduction.

Don't know how close the other clubs are around you or what actually goes into organising an event like this but as suggested previously maybe they could share the workload, even if it's just helping out on the day.

As for the emotional side of it, sorry no suggestions there.

It would seem like a lot of extra work to move it to another location as you would have to first vote/nominate a committee to organise and run the event, a suitable venue, available accommodation, a date that doesn't clash with other events not to mention finding more sponsors etc.

Another idea, maybe skip 2014 and have 2yrs to make the 20th anniversary extra special, it would give you an extra 12mths to organise and 'fingers crossed' ease the burden.

#98 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

There's beer there too Ryan :spit:

yeah but the further north ya go the worse the beer tastes i mean in qld they cant even spell beer they just write xxxx :spit:

#99 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Mort

Just a suggestion but would a $10 donation to the club (or RMH via the HVTC) be any help towards the financial side of things and would it be classed as a tax deduction.

That may be a part of it but I believe more so, that the Fest is getting too big ? and perhaps the HVTC needs more helpers.

As previously said, there is usually only a core of "workers" in any club that do all of the work associated with the running of a club and any club function.

If it was "only" financial then maybe the entrants fee could be raised by $10 -$20 to cover any costs and considering that you get a Fest shirt and Biante model in the Goodies Bag, then that extra donation or entrants fee rise is not all that much.

I would agree that the entrants fee is still very fair and the rise as quoted above is also fair AND don't forget the money raised is for Ronny McDonny house, a very, very, worthy cause :spoton:

If Toranafest has to go Bi-ennial then the problem of it getting too big will still be there as the "faithful" will still flock back to Newy every 2 years.

Barry

#100 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Well, were ever it goes you should change the music to decent music.
More rolling stones, ACDC, Cold Chisel, Midnight oil, Hunter and collectors, the who, Black sab, deep purple etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users