StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

There's still lots of emotional response from members here with their reasons for wanting to keep it in Newcastle and that's fine but again, you guys are neglecting the OP. To keep it in Newcastle, this issue has to be addressed first.

As President I see that Toranafest is putting too much physical, emotional and in some cases financial strain on our members to run each year. We need a breather!

Well, were ever it goes you should change the music to decent music.
More rolling stones, ACDC, Cold Chisel, Midnight oil, Hunter and collectors, the who, Black sab, deep purple etc.

Apparently the song selection was from the Torana years and it was quite good admittedly. I also liked the nostalgic ads but could have used some songs of the following:

Black Sabbath, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, The Scorpions, Motorhead, KISS, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest and Deep Purple just to name a few.

^ All released great albums prior and up until 1980, the year of the UC Torana.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 01 November 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#102 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

A few of us from Sydney will be attending your AGM this year as we would be more than happy to help HVTC in any way
that is needed to keep Toranafest in Newcastle.

cheers Keith

#103 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I't wont happen but if it ever came to Queensland Lakeside Park Raceway! What a spectical that would be at such a special place.
We took about 40 toranas there just after the re opening a couple of years back, had time on the track also. Wow 200+cars would
be something else there.

KIAN!
Keep It At Newcastle.

with the new anti hoon laws in qld i reckon you may get done for "hooning" even entering the event
just another reason to leave it where i is
if it ain't broke.....

#104 _trueblue_

_trueblue_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

It is an excellent idea to spread the ToranaFest concept around.

It may introduce more Torrie owners to the event.

With respect to Canberra, it is a great place to stay. Good accommodation and fabulous food.

These things do weigh on your mind other than the fun of being around Toranas.

Canberra is sort of equidistance to Sydneysiders & closer for the southern states vs Newcastle. Losers would be QLDers which is a pity in this instance but maybe could be held in a spot more favourable to them in subsequent years.

The HVTC has done a top job with the organising of ToranaFest and that expertise should be maintained. So, fees may have to go up to keep the show on the road, as it were.

#105 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Since I am over the ditch my opinion is truly impartial. I think spreading it around the states is a good idea. Of course it has been going well and is a good format, and as such people don't want that tinkered with, however there may be also some selfish reasons some want it to stay in NSW, as they have less distance to go.
From the first post you realise that this is a huge undertaking to set up and run, so it makes sense for some other clubs/states to take up the batten and run with it.

#106 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

For those who have not been to Toranafest, please make the effort to see what the "experience" is all about and go there next year.

For those who have NOT been to Toranafest and have voiced their opinions about having it in a different state then please make the effort to see what the "experience" is all about and go there next year.

You will then have an informed opinion on having Toranafest moved elsewhere if that is what you want.

Barry

#107 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

not sure i'd make the extra 4 hrs travel to canberra

#108 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

You have to remember that Newcastle may not be a viable option for people for what ever reason and going there next year wont change their minds. Fact of life is you will never please everyone.

#109 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

You have to remember that Newcastle may not be a viable option for people for what ever reason and going there next year wont change their minds. Fact of life is you will never please everyone.

Quite true, you will never please everyone.

For those that have never been to Toranafest and get holidays, Toranafest is the 3rd weekend in September which gives a date your holidays MAY be organised around.

I only hope that Toranafest will stay in Newy as it will never be the same elsewhere.

The ambience will never be the same and also the atmosphere at the 80 room motel chock-o-block with Torana nutters will be hard to replicate.

Barry

#110 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Jeepers Pop.

Your repeated messages have been received by all loud and clear - enough already.

Not readily acknowledged (by more folks than merely Pop) is;

1. HVTC indicate they wish to have a rest from TF but such a position is pending the outcome of their AGM - both outcomes needs to be acknowledged (as it has been by some here); they want a rest and the idea of the same needs to be addressed by their club in the first instance,

2. The CTC (as a club) is yet to formally discuss their interest and ability to stage the event, and

3. With regards to commentary re; RMH and fund raising for the event - RMH is about to launch in the ACT, and the President of the CTC is well and truly on record as being a long standing supporter of RMH - refer this link for the establishment of RMH in the ACT: http://www.rmhc.org.au/canberra-act

Please folks, lets just see what happens before passing adverse commentary - a decision is clearly yet to be made at a number of levels - and so let's just take a breath and see what pans out before dragging out one's ubiquitous soap box this forum provides. Clearly HVTC have announced this consideration only with a view to dispelling the rumour mongers, and so see this as it is - a litmus test of the Torana community as opposed to a rally cry.

Again, let's just see what decisions are made by the HVTC, and if required the CTC before passing judgement - we are getting ahead of ourselves somewhat currently.

Cheers, TB

#111 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well said craig as i have said i will travel to where ever it goes doesnt bother me at all

#112 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I tell ya what if it moves from Newcastle u can count me out from attending it

#113 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Canberra is sort of equidistance to Sydneysiders & closer for the southern states vs Newcastle. Losers would be QLDers which is a pity in this instance but maybe could be held in a spot more favourable to them in subsequent years.

I would trailer my car to Newcaslte before i'd trailer it to an event in QLD. And im 600km north of bris.

At the risk of offending TB, i say keep it in Newy, but alas its up to the HVTC.

#114 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Tyre biter

Clearly HVTC have announced this consideration only with a view to dispelling the rumour mongers, and so see this as it is - a litmus test of the Torana community as opposed to a rally cry.

A litmus test if my feeble old brain can remember is what was used in the laboratory to test if a liquid was acidic or alkaline, so the Torana community has shown their litmus results by voicing "for or against" the move away from Newy for the Fest.

That, I believe is one's democratic right.

:soapbox: or not, at least the HVTC can use these posts as litmus test results to help them form an "informed" decision on the future of Toranafest.

BTW ........... Just loved your Hatch at the Fest.

Regards .... Barry

#115 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

...At the risk of offending TB, i say keep it in Newy, but alas its up to the HVTC.

No offence taken Bomber - my commentary was not in relationt to moving or not.
It was merely in relation to the reasons why thwe HVTC are considering this outcome and to outline that decisions at many ends of the debate are yet to be formally discussed.
I went to my first TF this year - loved it for so many reasons including the weekend trip away and the location, and so personally I would love to go back there.
Cheers, TB

#116 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Tyre biter

A litmus test if my feeble old brain can remember is what was used in the laboratory to test if a liquid was acidic or alkaline, so the Torana community has shown their litmus results by voicing "for or against" the move away from Newy for the Fest.

That, I believe is one's democratic right.

:soapbox: or not, at least the HVTC can use these posts as litmus test results to help them form an "informed" decision on the future of Toranafest.

BTW ........... Just loved your Hatch at the Fest.

Regards .... Barry

Sure is Barry (one's right to announce their opinion) - that afterall is the purpose of a forum like ours. I just wanted to say your message is understood loud and clear and I wished to balance out the debate with some of the facts;
1. HVTC indicate they want a reat but are yet to formally discuss/decide upon the same,
2. CTC is yet to formally consider any such proposal - refer point 1.
3. No decision has been made - the OP says the intent of informing the Torana community was to put to bed some of the rumours - I think the term used nowadays is 'transparency'.

As for 'litmus test' - The Macquarie has to say the following;
noun
1. a test of acidity or alkalinity using litmus paper.
2. a decisive test of a person's loyalty, character, determination, etc.
But yes, I too would hope that part of the decision making process aligns with the Torana community's wishes though it would appear there is no clear majority in either direction and thereby the degree of assistance provided might well be minimal.

Finally, sorry Barry, you must have me confused with some other poor soul - my car is a long way from being at TF or anywhere else for that matter.

Cheers, TB

#117 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

TB

Finally, sorry Barry, you must have me confused with some other poor soul - my car is a long way from being at TF or anywhere else for that matter.

Your avater being small and from old eyes looks like the motor from the Hatch I saw at the fest. ie :

Posted Image

That TB That is one schmicko Torana who ever owns it and I for one, would like to be the "poor old soul" who does.
A canberra car with owner I think has the same first name as yours.

Still, I will plead Old Timers disease

Posted Image

Barry

#118 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

My only opposition to Canberra is #1: I'm driving over 2000k's each way, & you want to add another 400 onto that?
#2: I will be shivering my ass off for 4 days & driving home with the flu.

That's kinda not the Toranafest experience i'm looking for!

#119 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

For those who have not been to Toranafest, please make the effort to see what the "experience" is all about and go there next year.

For those who have NOT been to Toranafest and have voiced their opinions about having it in a different state then please make the effort to see what the "experience" is all about and go there next year.

You will then have an informed opinion on having Toranafest moved elsewhere if that is what you want.

Barry

Yea but you're set on the experience. Quite a lot of other people are basing their opinion on the spectators and other people who own torana's accross the country who can't always make it to newcastle.

Sure the "Expeirence" is probably the best at newcastle and always will be but you can't hate something before you've even tried it.
Every second year moving it to another place isn't a bad idea. There will be a new "experience" created in a new hotel in a new area. And newcastle will still be their every other year if the idea fails. Atleast give it ago before you all start bagging it out.

(this isn't just aimed at you by the way.......)

#120 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

...That TB That is one schmicko Torana who ever owns it and I for one, would like to be the "poor old soul" who does.
A canberra car with owner I think has the same first name as yours...
Barry

Yes Barry - a different Craig in CTC - a great bloke and like you said, one very nice car - one of the better around IMO.
And you can be excused from thinking your eyesight has failed you - my avatar is a pic of the same engine but from my (now sold) VE SSV, alas that is the issue with advancing years we all face - sight and hearing are both not what they used to be for me - so I understand completely where you are coming from there :)

Cheers TB

#121 _bumpy_

_bumpy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Well i'm glad Toranafest stays in Newcastle for 2013. I have finally got a job where i'm not working weekends, so i can attend.

Edited by bumpy, 16 November 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#122 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

2013 will be in Newcastle Rob, see ya there !!

#123 _REDLJ_

_REDLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi all, just giving some feed back with regards to Toranafest 2013.
It will be business as usual in Newcastle for 2013.
However at this stage our club members voted that we hold Toranafest every 2 years after that until notice.
That is it in its simplist form.
I would be happy to answer any questions.

Hope to see you all next year to help us celebrate 20 years of Toranafest.
Regards
Pete Morris
HVTC President.

#124 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Personally I think that is the best decision. If other clubs wanted to hold another torana show on the off years to the Fest that may work too.

#125 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Sounds like a good plan.
Perhaps a West Aussie event could occur in 2014..........

Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users