54 replies to this topic

#1 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Went to a Clearing sale auction today at Merrigum in Victorias North East. A couple of months ago some one on here was asking about a LC GTR that was on the list. Sold for $29500.00. My opinion of the car was as driven into shed about 20 years ago, IE "barn find" of a car in need of probably $35000.00 to be spent to bring up to scratch. Would be a nice jigger when done BUT, way too much to pay for one. Therefore the price of our LC/ LJ XU1s at $65000.00 or so as the pundits on here say from time to time is OBVIOUSLY too low. Discuss!!

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Someone got excited and spent to much.

Or perhaps they can competently do panel and paint etc themselves thus taking 15-20k off your resto estimate.

Cheers.

#3 _LC_138_

_LC_138_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

I agree with Bomber, its easy to get carried away at auction. There's an LC GTR in the Extreme Auto Auction in Adelaide tomorrow, needs lots of love, ill let you know what that goes for, they're expecting 15-20k

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hehe yep, know from experience :banghead:

Mind if i was there that dak dak and a couple of the motorbikes that were also in the auction would have got a fair nudge, i got excited just lookin at the picks of them yet alone being there at the time, i'd probably be re mortgaging my house atm to pay my bill if i had attended hahaha

Did the OP see what they went for?? Wasnt overly interested int he BMW motorbike, but the rest i would have given a fair nudge if i was there....

#5 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

If it was an auction more than one person thought it was worth that sort of money . It has always been said good cars get good money .

#6 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

wow 29500 good money for an lc gtr im sure u have to ad the 15% buyers premium on top of 29500
usually the case in clearance sales,
the toranas hopefully are on the increase again,
regards aldo

#7 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Mind if i was there that dak dak and a couple of the motorbikes that were also in the auction would have got a fair nudge, i got excited just lookin at the picks of them yet alone being there at the time, i'd probably be re mortgaging my house atm to pay my bill if i had attended hahaha

Did the OP see what they went for?? Wasnt overly interested int he BMW motorbike, but the rest i would have given a fair nudge if i was there....

Bomber, you would have had to mortgage your house I reckon, Indian brought $10500.00, consisted of a very small pile of parts, no way could have all been there, Dak Dak, did not take a lot of notice but I think $5000.00, I went to have a crack at the Model A ( don't yell at me FORD) plenty of them around between $17000.00 to $20,000.00, at present this one $26750.00 and a recent resto but not of overly high standard, so kept my hands in my pockets.

#8 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

wow 29500 good money for an lc gtr im sure u have to ad the 15% buyers premium on top of 29500
usually the case in clearance sales,
the toranas hopefully are on the increase again,
regards aldo

Aldo, thankfully no buyers premium or GST at this auction, but no way an informed buyer would pay this sort of money, however there were over 1000 catalogues handed out at the auction so plenty of punters to work with, and he was a very good auctioneer

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

5k for the dak dad is ludicrous going by what i saw, that indian would have had me bidding though lol.

Cheers for the report mate, so glad i wasnt there!!

Cheers.

#10 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

I too went to the auction, drove from Adelaide just got back home. I expected it to sell out of my price range but thought it was worth the trip up. I'm still happy i went, was kind of like the type of place you see on "American Pickers".

I thought it would have sold between 16-22k max, it was a nice car and would have been a great project. But 30k is a lot of money considering what you can get for just a little bit more.

I knew I was in trouble when I saw Todd Kelly having a gander at the car. Not sure if he actually bid, couldn't see as there were so many people in the shed.

Anyway congrats to the winner it was an entertaining 1 minute of bidding.

Cheers

#11 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

No that LC was not worth 29 but it did not need 35 spent on it. My plan was to buy it service, tune and replace anything that needed replacing fix the rust in the front apron register and drive. The main concern was it had no chassis no and has had a replacement nose cone and rail at some stage. This car did not need a resto which is what attracted me and was a real GTR not a S that some one has put GTR tags on. I spent considerable time looking at it and know a lot about these cars I think it was worth about 18 but am so sick of looking at shitboxes so I went to 24 and the Indian restored is worth 60 so was not a bad buy but I was not in the mood to buy after missing out on the Torana I was wearing a green Kawasaki t shirt and a fox cap if you saw me there, if I knew there was any one from on here there I would have said Gday, Cheers Aaron.

Edited by imj411, 20 October 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#12 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

no inner guard number, so its not full matching numbers,, i wonder if the buyer realized this??? anyways someone has over paid big time, the grill and headlight surrounds are not right for a un-restored car.
when i first seen this car i was thinking 12-16k tops knowing that it was only a two tag matching car.

cheers gong

#13 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

no inner guard number, so its not full matching numbers,, i wonder if the buyer realized this??? anyways someone has over paid big time, the grill and headlight surrounds are not right for a un-restored car.
when i first seen this car i was thinking 12-16k tops knowing that it was only a two tag matching car.

cheers gong

If anybody knows the prices of these cars its you john they paid way to much imho
one born everyday
cheers gene

#14 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yes it was a issue that the number was missing but how many LC's have had zero accident damage over 41 years, there was no disputing the cars proverdence yes the head light rims had too many stripes and the seat belts were wrong but I would rather buy this one than a car that has been freshly restored who knows if it was numbers matching beforehand. I don't think the higher 2 bidders than me knew about the numbers I told 1 bloke in conversation that was hanging around the car like a bad smell all day and he said l'll take my chances like a smart ass, so I did not mention it to anyone else after that and I dont even think he fired a shot with the bidding. I still think it was worth around 18 and would be happy to pay a little more but today was told at the Marrononda dam Victorian Torana club run it was also missing keys, books and the head did not match it is easy to get caught up in a bidding war I went 4 over our limit. But it had a lot of positives so dont think it was all bad just over priced, cheers Aaron.

#15 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

cheers gong

Gong, my thoughts exactly on price, then again I am a cynical old bastard looking through a jaundiced eye at the world, so imj411 above has looked at it differently than me, thats fine, but the car is 40 years old, EVERYTHING is / was / could be the same age, needs more than T Cut to tart it up cosmetically, therefore I stand by my estimate of restore costs

#16 _LC_138_

_LC_138_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Well the LC GTR in Adelaide got passed in at 9k. Needed a lot of work, obviously no one silly enough here to pay big $$$

#17 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

well if thats the case it makes the NZ car missing its ADR tag i sold for 35k a bargain for the buyer.

i really cant justify why someone has paid so much for that car, if the new owner was to put it on ebay with out doing a thing to it and they will be lucky to get 16k for the car,,, only if the tell the true story about the numbers,

cheers gong

#18 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

What's the old saying,A fool and his money.

#19 _keva_

_keva_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Is was there as well ,thought $15g would be a resonable price ,but hearing all the hype knew the price would balloon ,guessed around 25 big ones ,to many bidders not doing research ,but hey you have to smile if you have one aready , 10-15 g would bring it up to a very tidy little beast

#20 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

look at the end of the day that car missing the left hand inner guard number and selling for 30k means if some one has a re shelled xu1 with the two front tags and all the original components is worth 10k less than a car that is completely original [bullshit] the bidders did not know what they where buying...

anyways its not my problem
cheers gong

#21 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

whats the old saying....

"its only worth what someone will pay"

we can sit around discussing what its worth in comparisson to other sales, but at the end of the day, there were obviously numerous people that thought it was worth 20k+ (bidding against each other)

I've got an LC GTR in the shed, accident damage and a police chassis number (matches the rego papers etc etc though)

Makes me wonder what it could/would be worth to the right person

#22 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,549 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sounds like the bidders contracted Auction Fever.

Went to my first Auction many years ago, was interested in some business equipment but anyway there were 7 identical stainless steel single bowl laundry tubs (some had minor marks in the cabinets) that normally retailed at $208.00 each (no GST then).
I don't really understand how they worked it but the seven tubs were auctioned at the the same time and the maximum price reached was the purchase price for each tub.
Stupid women bidding against each other pushed the price beyond $220.00 for each tub. Yipee, what a bargain!!!

#23 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

It was not a reshell or a stolen and recovered car it had been in acident some time prior to 1975 before this family took ownership when new rails, skirts and GTR guards would have been avaliable so it was still the real deal. I don't think a reshelled car or a car with a police number is worth any were near as much as the real deal I don't have a price in mind but I don't think I would even concider buying one if I was after an original car, cheers Aaron.

#24 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well the LC GTR in Adelaide got passed in at 9k. Needed a lot of work, obviously no one silly enough here to pay big $$$

Was that the one that was listed as a GTR "Tribute"?

#25 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

well if thats the case it makes the NZ car missing its ADR tag i sold for 35k a bargain for the buyer.

John, if it was a true NZ car then it wasn't "missing" any tags if the ADR tag was missing, as cars built for NZ sale had no ADR tag. hence it really was a bargain! Only cars sold new in NZ with an ADR tag were those built for the Aussie market and dealer swapped or wholesaled to a NZ dealer.

Sorta makes this one a bargain too depending upon what the reserve was:

http://www.ebay.com....&orig_cvip=true

Edited by yel327, 22 October 2012 - 11:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users