Photo

Auction Prices

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

yeh i know that yel327 i have been trying to prove that point for years on this forum.

cheers gong

#27 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about proving it, I can tell you for a fact that is how it works! This is how you see the really original cars in NZ on Ebay too. In any case it makes perfect sense, why would a NZ delivered car have an Aussie ADR plate? I recorded a NZ delivered HZ Sandman recently that had a GVW plate where the Aussie ADR plate would be (like pre 1970 commercials have here).

#28 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi

I agree wholeheartedly that export cars didn't need and ADR and in my experience the vast majority didn't. H175274 (the Plumdinger XU-1 presently on sale in NZ) appears on the VIN disc as a 000-X yet has an ADR. Why would this be?

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

#29 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

that could of been an aussie gov car at sometime and then taken back over the ditch, as these car that are taken over the ditch are the ones that seem to have the adr tag,,, i would say it was brought from a gov auction or something like that.

cheers gong

#30 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

I dont get it.. nor understand how it is FACT.... so is it FACT the Cars with a 000 dealer code, have been assigned to head overseas and hence should have no ADR tag ?? or am I misunderstanding....?

I can only go off my old car, but it was first registered only 5 weeks after its production with 85 miles on the clock, in NZ.. and yes had its ADR tag.. ?? And I have seen plenty of others, but not with original rego papers to verify if they were in NZ from new...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi

I agree wholeheartedly that export cars didn't need and ADR and in my experience the vast majority didn't. H175274 (the Plumdinger XU-1 presently on sale in NZ) appears on the VIN disc as a 000-X yet has an ADR. Why would this be?

Cheers

Bazza

Is it my eye's playing up or dose that look like its stamped a 42 door. :blink2:

#32 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

Those Records are Gold, wish you could get that detail in Aust woops due to privacy laws those details are not available to the general public... Sunburst

#33 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Is it my eye's playing up or dose that look like its stamped a 42 door. :blink2:

hahah
theres also an extra number in the chassis number as well...

#34 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hi

I guess with all things there will be anomalies and exceptions to the rule. Perhaps if a car was pre-ordered for sale overseas it was not fitted with an ADR tag, but if an order was fulfilled from unallocated or unsold stock the ADR was left in place. There is nothing to suggest that the Plumdinger XU-1 was ever sold in Australia prior to shipment.

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

#35 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

NZ must have a S.B.R Tag instead of a ADR Tag
S.B.R = She'll Be Right
:driving:

#36 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

000 cars can be sold anywhere. It is just a masking code to hide the "selling dealer". There are heaps of cars like this, not just export or GMH internal cars. Alan, read what I put up higher in the post, also echoes by Bazza. If a car was wholesaled from Australia to a NZ dealer or transferred out of plant stock to fulfil an order it'd have the ADR plate. Still sold new in NZ, but not made for the market. If you could get hold of the original build records for LC-LJ they would show ordering dealer, wholesaling dealer and selling dealer. I'd bet the car you are talking about would show an Aussie ordering and Wholesaling dealer. Look at the build records for A9X in Eric Blair's book, but alas I know no-one that has these records for anything other than A9X. If you could find them for LC-LJ it is possible H175274 shows 266 as one of the dealer codes, I think this is the internal stock order "dealer" code for Elizabeth vehicles.

Edited by yel327, 23 October 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#37 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

fair enough, would just be good to see some written evidence of this.. as we have evidence to the contrary...

#38 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'll see what I can find. Not sure what evidence you have, but cars originally built for NZ would not get ADR plates, they are not relevant to the NZ market.

#39 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Wouldent the NZ Goverment , put there own type of ADR Tag on these cars when they get ready for NZ Rego, or there rego paper work say they are checked and ok for NZ Roads.

#40 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

The Plumdinger car was first registered on 11/12/1970 as a New car or NZ origin.

#41 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

I have no doubt it was. But as it has an ADR tag is wasn't built for the NZ market, just sold there. Having a 000 code on the service/warranty records just means there was no selling dealer code recorded - computer needed a number so it got 000. Just like the extra 0's added to engine numbers when they aren't 6 digits.
The way I believe it worked: broadly cars were either built to customer order or built for stock (this of course excludes those cars built for internal purposes, prototypes etc). Assuming for a moment Holden, Torana etc were only built (built in this sense may even mean entered into the rolling schedule) for Australia or NZ, this means 4 x types of vehicles:

1. Customer or dealer orders from Australia.
2. Customer or dealer orders from NZ.
3. Cars built for plant stock for Australian sale.
4. Cars built for sale in NZ.

Types 2 and 4 would have no ADR tag. Type 3 were available (just like today) to be allocated to a dealer or sold, and these vehicles could easily be sent to NZ for sale. Although it is possible that type 4 never existed, and all vehicles not pre-ordered were built with ADR tags - this is something I have not yet managed to figure out. You would think that some vehicles were built for stock for sale in NZ though.

#42 ewe-one

ewe-one

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Name:Ross
  • Car:LJ

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

I always believed that ADR tags were par for the course for export cars. Mine certainly has one and as far as I know was always destined for NZ. Norms book mentions 93 cars built between August and December that didn't need to be built for CAMS Homologation and were either exported or not registered in aus. Perhaps adding the ADR was precautionary in case these 000 cars were needed to fulfill the local market, or maybe it was not worth modifying the tooling to eliminate the holes. Either way it did not stop these cars being exported and sold.

Attached File  ADR-tag.jpg   51.66K   2 downloads

Attached File  Registration1.jpg   177.33K   3 downloads

#43 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Cars without ADR tags still have the holes, Holdens do anyway, not sure about the Toranas with the ID tags on the radiator support. As stated above, is it has an ADR tag it was not originally designed (better word than built) for NZ. It would have been built with the intention/possibility of it being sold in Australia. Probably a plant stock vehicle.

Love the paperwork though, an XVI with a non existant high compression 173 engine number!

I just found the 1978 HZ Sandman van ID plate photos. It has a VIN and BODY plate, but a GVW tag where the ADR tag would go. It is an original 1/78 to 10/79 HZ Sandman GVW tag, it cannot have belonged to any other car as it says 2000kg - this is a unique GVW to HZ Sandman van, and unique to NZ as these cars had to ADR plate so they had to have a GVW tag. Unfortunately this van does not appear in GMH records as it is a 5/78 build and sold new in NZ later than that. The HZ records finish in 6/78 (when they were printed) so as the vehicle probably had not yet been sold/delivered it was not recorded.

#44 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hang on, did you say they had the holes for the adr tag yel? I was of the belief that those pushing this theory believed holes were non existant?

#45 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

All the ones I have seen have had holes, but remember this is Holdens not Toranas. I'll see if I can did up some pictures, but i'm not sure I have them. The holes just go into the plenum area on Holdens with ADR tags.

For proof what i'm telling you is fact, go and look in the front of any Holden/Statesman or Torana/Sunbird parts catalogue. Look next to the Safety Compliance plate picture. saye "not applicable to export"

Edited by yel327, 23 October 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#46 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yep, I have seen that in the LH onwards parts catalogues. Not in any LC or LJ parts catalogue that I have a copy of......

#47 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Attached File  DSC07983.JPG   138.05K   7 downloadsHello

Here is a pic of my NZ new very original LJ. There is no ADR tag but the holes appear to be there and a couple of original? style rivets to blank them off.

Blair

#48 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,549 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm not really up with the subject of Australian Compliance Plates on export vehicles to NZ. My first thought is it's an Australian Compliance Plate required only for the domestic market, nothing to do with NZ or any other export market so why would you bother fitting one to vehicles ordered and made for export. The above pic in kiwi-lilj post is proof that NZ cars weren't required to have Australian Compliance Plates.

I'll stick my neck out and assume that any Holden that landed in NZ with an Aussie compliance plate attached wasn't originally made or intended as an export vehicle. If such a vehicle shows up on the VIN listing with a 000X dealer code then it's more than likely it was simply plucked from GMH stock, recorded as exported and put on the ship.

On the other hand if a compliance plated vehicle is listed with an aussie dealer code but has evidence it was sold new in NZ then it would have to be a stock transfer from an Aussie dealer to a NZ dealer.

#49 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

if a car was sent from me to you in a shipment container it would still have its tags, but by law if it was shipped from dealer to dealer it would have the adr removed, some may of made it with them on.

cheers gong

#50 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm not really up with the subject of Australian Compliance Plates on export vehicles to NZ. My first thought is it's an Australian Compliance Plate required only for the domestic market, nothing to do with NZ or any other export market so why would you bother fitting one to vehicles ordered and made for export. The above pic in kiwi-lilj post is proof that NZ cars weren't required to have Australian Compliance Plates.

I'll stick my neck out and assume that any Holden that landed in NZ with an Aussie compliance plate attached wasn't originally made or intended as an export vehicle. If such a vehicle shows up on the VIN listing with a 000X dealer code then it's more than likely it was simply plucked from GMH stock, recorded as exported and put on the ship.

On the other hand if a compliance plated vehicle is listed with an aussie dealer code but has evidence it was sold new in NZ then it would have to be a stock transfer from an Aussie dealer to a NZ dealer.

I think part of the problem is GMH's records aren't as good as we'd like. We've all seen the mistakes in microfiche records, and some of these will be the selling dealer codes. From what I understand on the early records a vehicle with an X for the ordering zone office means it was ordered as an export vehicle, but as we've seen that Plumdinger vehicle had an ADR plate but had a X ordering zone. If it was built for Aussie plant stock it'd have an A or B or other such Aussie code. In the later vehicles, it appears that all "built for export" to NZ cars got the same selling dealer code as NZ dealers didn't have dealer codes as far as the records are concerned, and these all appear to get 239. I think all these vehicles went via the Trentham plant, and it'll probably be these that don't get the ADR plates. The rest probably came into NZ via some other method. But after all thsi time it is hard to put the puzzle back together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users