Photo

Qld anti hoon laws to be reviewed

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#26 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Has anyone actually read the related laws or proposed ammendments prior to sensationalising? Print media has a habit of misrepresenting the truth...just saying.

#27 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I suspect the interpretation of "Cruising" would be a group of cars driving slowly around the block or up and down a set stretch of road, lap after lap to attract the attention of onlookers.

When we stayed in Queenstown, TAS that's exactly what the local lads did, 'cause there's stuff all else to do there but drive your hotted up HR, Torana or Cortina around the block, park, talk to some mates, jump back in the car and do it all again and again and again.

lol we used to call em "bog laps"
a group of mates cruizing freo and northbridge on a warm fri or sat nite...
i really don't see how that could be classed as "hooning"
we hardly got it into second gear

#28 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

History beginning to repeat itself. Governments passing laws as they see fit in the name of "public safety" & "law & order", that's how it started in Nazi Germany, everything they did was pefectly legal in their country under the laws they passed & look where that lead to. Not saying that would happen here but still, makes you wonder where it's going to stop with passing laws that discriminate against a minority of the population.

the difference is that whole process took a total of 10-15 years.....
and hitler had a massive and very efficient propaganda machine
you can't do the same in that time frame in today's society .....but give it 50 more years....and maybe

#29 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Guilty of chucken Bog laps
Bernie

Edited by Bernie, 05 November 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#30 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Like quag said if you owned a hot car it was your duty to do bog lap

#31 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

^^^ Haha, "BOG LAPS", never heard them called that before. So when ya told your mom you were going for a BOG didn't she think it strange you would go get in your car? LOL.

So, in WA at least there is a clear distinction between Cruising and Bogging.
Car enthusiasts go Cruising.
Hoons go Bogging.

:spoton:

#32 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

History beginning to repeat itself. Governments passing laws as they see fit in the name of "public safety" & "law & order", that's how it started in Nazi Germany, everything they did was pefectly legal in their country under the laws they passed & look where that lead to. Not saying that would happen here but still, makes you wonder where it's going to stop with passing laws that discriminate against a minority of the population.

Exactly !!
Ok it hasn't come to this yet , no one is saying it has but the point being where does it stop? The 'rules ' 20 years ago as compared to now has been a massive change as far as what you can and can't do to your car for example
An officer talks to a guy about his air cleaner out of the bonnet is stupid and irresponsible because it will cut a pedestrian up I he hits them.
A bull bar on a 4wd won't? What about a Jag bonnet emblem. The list goes on forever. The point is our rights are and have been taken away and there's no end in sight.

#33 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Exactly !!
Ok it hasn't come to this yet , no one is saying it has but the point being where does it stop? The 'rules ' 20 years ago as compared to now has been a massive change as far as what you can and can't do to your car for example
An officer talks to a guy about his air cleaner out of the bonnet is stupid and irresponsible because it will cut a pedestrian up I he hits them.
A bull bar on a 4wd won't? What about a Jag bonnet emblem. The list goes on forever. The point is our rights are and have been taken away and there's no end in sight.

our rights are slowly getting eaten away...
total talianship by stealth
like i said it won't happen in our lifetime maybe...but rest assured the way it is going life will be like the demolition man (with sly and sandra and dennis leary)

#34 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Exactly !!

Finally, someone understands the point i was trying to make. It appears to me that some of the officals & law makers behind these proposals won't stop until classic & modified cars are banned altogether & we're forced to drive around in hybrid electric shopping trolleys & that to me is an example of governments abusing the positions of power they're in to persecute a minority of the population.

#35 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Bingo.

Dont worry, i got ya, i just usually make thigns worse when i agree with someone on these matters :P

Cheers.

#36 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Exactly !!

Outlawing dangerous protrusions on cars is not a new thing, afaik every state has regs that even spell out what's allowed with air cleaners for many years. Yes there is merit to the laws and yes pedestrians had to get carved up first for them to be put in place. Bonnet emblems? Yes know they are dangerous, and that's why recent adrs make them retractable. Basically cars that meet the design rules when they were sold are allowed to stay on Australian roads, do you really want to change that? Hence the old jag and its bonnet emblem is allowed to stay, no- one's torana came with a slice and dice air cleaner so no regardless of whether you think they are less dangerous than the silver lady on old roller is irrelevant.

All this bleating about rights being taken away, please explain what the are? I'm baffled, doing burn outs on public roads is a right?(apart from the cruising one which obviously needs some clarifications)

#37 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Finally, someone understands the point i was trying to make. It appears to me that some of the officals & law makers behind these proposals won't stop until classic & modified cars are banned altogether & we're forced to drive around in hybrid electric shopping trolleys & that to me is an example of governments abusing the positions of power they're in to persecute a minority of the population.

Understand what you are saying completely, just happen to disagree. Sure governments want to get rid of hoons, but do remember that one of the reasons that government has allowed discounted rego for veteran car club membership is that it encourages preserving history of our vehicles.

#38 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Found this info about what is hooning on the Potts Lawyers website.
circa 2009.

Hooning
Section 83 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act Queensland states:
Any person who drives a motor vehicle on a road or elsewhere without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place is guilty of an offence.

Hooning – Racing and Speed Trials
Section 85 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act Queensland states:
(1) Any person who organises or promotes or takes part in-
A: any race between vehicles or animals on a road; or
B: any attempt to establish or break any vehicle or animal speed record on a road; or
C: any trial of the speed of a vehicle or animal on a road; or
D: any competitive trial designed to test the skill of any vehicle driver or the reliability or mechanical condition of any vehicle on any road where a prize or trophy or other benefit or advantage in excess of the value of $100 may be won by a competitor;
is guilty of an offence, unless the prior permission in writing of the commissioner to the holding or making of the race, attempt, or trial has been obtained.

Hooning – Undue Smoke & Noise
Section 291 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation Queensland states:
(1) A person must not-
A: start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke; or
B: wilfully start a vehicle, or drive a vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke.

Edited by S pack, 06 November 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#39 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

So could a hillbilly get done for hooning on a horse?

#40 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

So could a hillbilly get done for hooning on a horse?

I believe you can get done for DUI on a horse so why not hooning?

#41 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hooning – Racing and Speed Trials
C: any trial of the speed of a vehicle or animal on a road;

Yeah so if I got up my gee gee horse and got him to hoof it. I could be hooning?

#42 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I believe you can get done for DUI on a horse so why not hooning?

you can get done for dui on a push bike ffs

#43 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Understand what you are saying completely, just happen to disagree. Sure governments want to get rid of hoons, but do remember that one of the reasons that government has allowed discounted rego for veteran car club membership is that it encourages preserving history of our vehicles.

Fair enough, so by that statement, the same could be said for a genuine unmodified factory XY Falcon GTHO Phase III with shaker, 4V heads, solid cam detroit locker diff etc. Those in the know, know that they were purpose built in limited numbers race cars sold to the public & legaly registerable for road use back in 1971 in said form. Yet under current & proposed laws, these cars would be deemed unroadworthy & unsafe & therefore driving one upon a public road would consitute an offence that could see the vehicle impounded & the owner heavily fined, even if no actual driving offences were commited. IMO a XY GTHO shaker is a classic car albeit a different class of car to a Jag but therefore none the less still qualifies for the same concessions under the term "historic vehicle". According to these laws & proposals & the people behind them, the XY GTHO fits the catagory of a "hoon" vehicle & would therefore be placed in the class/genre of vehicle they are targeting, even if the owner was a mature aged responsible person who only drove the vehicle to the letter of the law to the occasional car show. It would be a great shame to see them put off the road just because they make more noise & have more physical presence on the road than an old Jag etc.

#44 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Fair enough, so by that statement, the same could be said for a genuine unmodified factory XY Falcon GTHO Phase III with shaker, 4V heads, solid cam detroit locker diff etc. Those in the know, know that they were purpose built in limited numbers race cars sold to the public & legaly registerable for road use back in 1971 in said form. Yet under current & proposed laws, these cars would be deemed unroadworthy & unsafe & therefore driving one upon a public road would consitute an offence that could see the vehicle impounded & the owner heavily fined, even if no actual driving offences were commited. IMO a XY GTHO shaker is a classic car albeit a different class of car to a Jag but therefore none the less still qualifies for the same concessions under the term "historic vehicle". According to these laws & proposals & the people behind them, the XY GTHO fits the catagory of a "hoon" vehicle & would therefore be placed in the class/genre of vehicle they are targeting, even if the owner was a mature aged responsible person who only drove the vehicle to the letter of the law to the occasional car show. It would be a great shame to see them put off the road just because they make more noise & have more physical presence on the road than an old Jag etc.

Eh. No. If they were deemed to meet adrs in their day there is no retrospective legislation that is being introduced that will change that, its a moot point but most likely the shaker meets today's regs anyway.

Apart from seatbelts I can't really thnk of any retrospective legislation that has been imposed on motorists.

#45 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Well the new law have been passed last week. The biggest problem is that police now have the power to be judge jury and deside if they want to take your car because they can and they do so on the spot regardless if you have done anything wrong or not. The new part that states driveing to show off your car or if traveling in a group is total rubbish.
So this could include all car shows car meets in any public place car club cruze bike's gray nomads and furnal prosession. All on the thinking if they are traveling together then they are going to hoon, WTF. Untill there is more input from the police and government as to what is going on my car is going to stay at home where i know it wont get taken off me on the grounds i might hoon.

#46 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Well the new law have been passed last week. The biggest problem is that police now have the power to be judge jury and deside if they want to take your car because they can and they do so on the spot regardless if you have done anything wrong or not. The new part that states driveing to show off your car or if traveling in a group is total rubbish.
So this could include all car shows car meets in any public place car club cruze bike's gray nomads and furnal prosession. All on the thinking if they are traveling together then they are going to hoon, WTF. Untill there is more input from the police and government as to what is going on my car is going to stay at home where i know it wont get taken off me on the grounds i might hoon.

Sounds like the Police have Nazi Power, u need a Delorean to go back to the 1970's, so you can cruise in a free time frame.

#47 _UXTorri78_

_UXTorri78_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

these new laws are ridiculous, majority of people on here and around qld put there heart and souls into there cars, so if a officer picks one up and there on a 2nd strike and all they were doing was cruising, how many of people do you think will attempt to run, i guarentee someone whos spents thousands upon thousands of dollars on their pride and joy will attempt to get away, because i doubt theyll want the hard work, love and passion to be crushed, which when looked at like that makes it dangerous for others because the likelyness of a bad accident will be raised, so i honestly think that these laws should be taken away, for more reasons than ive stated also. cheers

#48 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hopefully your two mates have got the message loud and clear that roundabouts are'nt there to improve their chicane skills and should both be entered and exited at slow speeds

How's that again?
Roundabout are NOT for traffic calming, they exist wholely and solely for the purpose of controlling traffic at an intersection.
If it's a nice big roundabout, and you have good vision of the surrounding entries, you can drive through at the posted speed limit.
It you wish to parrot the panic mongers that speed kills, then perhaps do some research about the actual causes of accidents.
Driver training is the main issue which needs to be addressed but that would COST governments money, not make big bucks so they can give themselves a payrise.

And no-one mention SIV rego.....I don't think Newman has noticed it yet.......he'll be sure to scrap it should he figure out how high on the hog we're living with our 30yr plus cars.......

I currently drive a BT-50 ute.......it has a very tight diff and will chirp the outside wheel on normal corners and reasonable speeds.....
Is that hooning? I think not......

Did you find the full article Tony?

Grant..

#49 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

And i was told i was being melodramatic with the comparision to Nazi Germany. Also implied i was being as such stating that the owner of a XY GTHO shaker in totally unmodified original condition can easily fall victim to these BS laws, even though it complies with it's applicable ADRs which is why i used that car as an example. They are noisy brutal muscle cars, but driven carefully & responsibly, they are no more dangerous than most any other vehicle. Any vehicle regardless of make & model can be driven dangerously & can kill/maim, it's not restricted to modified or classic cars. With the powers given to the police, most of whom wouldn't bother to find out let alone care that it is compliant to the rules applicable at the time of manufacter, can now ground said vehicle & fine said owner on the assumsion that it's an illegaly modified hoon car. Oh yeah, didn't i also suggest that it could mean the demise of car shows like Toranafest etc, many of which raise valuable funds for charity groups? Guess i was being melodramatic then too huh. I stand by my statement that this is government gone crazy on discriminating against & persecuting a minority of the population. Why don't they apply these same laws to drink drivers? That won't happen, can't see the police commisioner's or road safety minister's mate's cars being impounded & crushed because they had a little to much wine to drink after their staff Christmas party etc now can we.

#50 _Shanes77LxHatch_

_Shanes77LxHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hopefully your two mates have got the message loud and clear that roundabouts are'nt there to improve their chicane skills and should both be entered and exited at slow speeds

Down at the local Mcdonalds they have a small hump like roundabout, driving on that at 5km/h makes the tyres screech and the same with a big roundabout near home going around at a decent but not fast speed and my tyres screech. I'm not going to slow down to 30-40km/h just to go through a roundabout when there's no cars around..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users