S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I currently drive a BT-50 ute.......it has a very tight diff and will chirp the outside wheel on normal corners and reasonable speeds.....
Is that hooning? I think not......

Grant..

^^^ I wouldn't consider it hooning either but then again I'm not a police officer, so my opinion doesn't count for anything as far as the Govt is concerned.
These hooning laws are not aimed just at modified or performance vehicles, they apply to all vehicles on our roads and lets not forget animals too (the latter just proves our lawmakers past & present are a mob of loons), so yes Grant you could easily be charged for hooning in your BT50.

I particularly love the this part of the law, so open to abuse by our law enforcement agency.
Hooning
Section 83 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act Queensland states:
Any person who drives a motor vehicle on a road or elsewhere without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place is guilty of an offence.

Hopefully the upside under the above law will be the eventual removal and destruction of all Volvo's and Mercedes Benz vehicles from our roads, also any vehicle with a Bowls hat on the rear parcel shelf, taxi's, some trucks and delivery vehicles, vehicles of people who live on their mobile phones whilst driving and all SUV's with My Family stickers on the rear windows, just to name a few.

#52 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

^^^Agree 100%, hopefully the same laws will be equally applied to the d*ckheads in BMWs, Mercedes, Audis etc that i constantly see displaying worse driving habits than i've ever seen displayed in an Aussie muscle car on the road. One example that comes to mind was a spoilt rich kid who wrote off his Mercedes SLK, a stationary brand new Hilux, a Corolla & near killed a stationary motorcyclist after speeding past the local shops at an estimated 150kph & failed to pull up in time at a set of traffic lights. He got off with a couple of fines mind you & last i heard was in the process of purchasing another SLK. Sadly i doubt it though, these cars don't come under the genre of "hoon" cars so their owners will more than likely recieve the same softly softly treatment the above mentioned person did.

#53 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hooning
Section 83 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act Queensland states:
Any person who drives a motor vehicle on a road or elsewhere without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place is guilty of an offence.

Does this mean I could be booked for hooning if I was paddock thrashing my LX Torana hatchback around on a paddock on private property? I mean a paddock is a place????

#54 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Does this mean I could be booked for hooning if I was paddock thrashing my LX Torana hatchback around on a paddock on private property? I mean a paddock is a place????

My interpretation of that law would be, YES.
It states 'road or elsewhere' and 'road or place', so I reckon your not even safe from this law on your own private property or someone elses.

Edited by S pack, 07 November 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#55 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

^^^Agree 100%, hopefully the same laws will be equally applied to the d*ckheads in BMWs, Mercedes, Audis etc that i constantly see displaying worse driving habits than i've ever seen displayed in an Aussie muscle car on the road. One example that comes to mind was a spoilt rich kid who wrote off his Mercedes SLK, a stationary brand new Hilux, a Corolla & near killed a stationary motorcyclist after speeding past the local shops at an estimated 150kph & failed to pull up in time at a set of traffic lights. He got off with a couple of fines mind you & last i heard was in the process of purchasing another SLK. Sadly i doubt it though, these cars don't come under the genre of "hoon" cars so their owners will more than likely recieve the same softly softly treatment the above mentioned person did.

I'm sure there is something in the new revised Qld hoon laws about more than 40kmh over the posted speed limit is now hooning, so should automatically apply to everyone now.
Can't find any listing of the new laws on the Net, actually hard to find much hard info on the laws at all except what I found and posted from the Potts Lawyers web site.
How the hell can people be expected to comply with laws if the Govt won't post the laws up on the Net for all to easily find. It must be a communist plot. Labor or Liberal, they're all the same, don't tell the people too much because knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

#56 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thats been the law for quiet some time.

You can get done for doing a burnout in your shed etc.

A few years ago a local farmer got fined for letting his 12 yo daughter drive a datsun around the top paddock (about 2km from the nearest road).

Cheers.

#57 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

A friend of mine who lives in Brisbane & works for a major motoring insurance company informs me that just one small part of these laws states that if a group of cars is driving (or "cruising" as they put it) along the road, it only takes one vehicle to commit an offence (ie chirp the tyres on a corner ) & all vehicles in that group, regardless of whether they've broken the law or not, can now be impounded. My friend also informs me that there is a "hoon" hotline where anyone (say a disgruntled neighbour) can call up & as long as they have a witness (say a friend, family member) can make a statement against you for "hoon" behaviour & next thing you know the police will turn up on your doorstep with a towtruck to impound your car. I think lawyers in QLD will be kept very busy & get very rich with all the people who'll have no choice but to fight these laws in court, even if they aren't guilty of anything more than being a car enthusiast.

#58 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

My interpretation of that law would be, YES.
It states 'road or elsewhere' and 'road or place', so I reckon your not even safe from this law on your own private property or someone elses.

if it is fenced of from the public you should be safe
they would need a warrant to enter in any case...unless you didn't have the owners consent..in which case you would be trespassing..
it would be to hard to prove in court so i reckon they'd let you off with a warning and maybe site you under undue noise
and if it was a private complaint you could fight the evidence under the privacy act.

#59 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

A friend of mine who lives in Brisbane & works for a major motoring insurance company informs me that just one small part of these laws states that if a group of cars is driving (or "cruising" as they put it) along the road, it only takes one vehicle to commit an offence (ie chirp the tyres on a corner ) & all vehicles in that group, regardless of whether they've broken the law or not, can now be impounded. My friend also informs me that there is a "hoon" hotline where anyone (say a disgruntled neighbour) can call up & as long as they have a witness (say a friend, family member) can make a statement against you for "hoon" behaviour & next thing you know the police will turn up on your doorstep with a towtruck to impound your car. I think lawyers in QLD will be kept very busy & get very rich with all the people who'll have no choice but to fight these laws in court, even if they aren't guilty of anything more than being a car enthusiast.

that has been law here for a few years
but unless they are willing to testify in open court then it gets dismissed

#60 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

if it is fenced of from the public you should be safe

Not quiet.

Most fenced areas are still "reasonably accessible to public"

Just the same as a burgler can jump your fence, break in through your kitchen window, stand on a knife in your sink and then sue you.

Cheers.

#61 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Just watching "highway patrol" on channel seven.

Lebbo guy, ran a redlight, while speeding in a stolen car, tried to run, was unlicenced.

Got caught with drugs, drug paraphenalia, counterfeit money, an illegal flick knife and more.

Old mate got a 6 month prison sentence $400 fine and 6 mnth more suspension...

Do a skid and you get more...

#62 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

How's that again?
Roundabout are NOT for traffic calming, they exist wholely and solely for the purpose of controlling traffic at an intersection.
If it's a nice big roundabout, and you have good vision of the surrounding entries, you can drive through at the posted speed limit.
It you wish to parrot the panic mongers that speed kills, then perhaps do some research about the actual causes of accidents.
Driver training is the main issue which needs to be addressed but that would COST governments money, not make big bucks so they can give themselves a payrise.

And no-one mention SIV rego.....I don't think Newman has noticed it yet.......he'll be sure to scrap it should he figure out how high on the hog we're living with our 30yr plus cars.......

I currently drive a BT-50 ute.......it has a very tight diff and will chirp the outside wheel on normal corners and reasonable speeds.....
Is that hooning? I think not......

Did you find the full article Tony?

Grant..

How's that again? Rudeness/ bullyboy

Why not say you just disagree in a reasoned way?

In response if people are not able to keep the vehicle on the road while going through a roundabout and/or create audible or visible slip on the tyres then most likely they are driving too fast, ie not slowing to an appropriate speed.

I agree driver training is lacking when we have people not recognise that roundabouts are intersections(the majority of where accidents happen, shxxt happens people make mistakes, misjudge)and that slowing down, rather than treat them as chicane practice is the only sensible recommendation.

Edited by torbirdie, 07 November 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#63 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

And i was told i was being melodramatic with the comparision to Nazi Germany. Also implied i was being as such stating that the owner of a XY GTHO shaker in totally unmodified original condition can easily fall victim to these BS laws, even though it complies with it's applicable ADRs which is why i used that car as an example. They are noisy brutal muscle cars, but driven carefully & responsibly, they are no more dangerous than most any other vehicle.

You are being melodramatic. Explain how an orignal ghto is going to fall victim to these bs laws if it complies with adrs .

We all know that dangerous drivers are the problem, yet there is a reality that we have idiots attracted to high powered vehicles, that's why it costs a fortune for under 25s to insure v8s and the like.

Edited by torbirdie, 07 November 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#64 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

You are being melodramatic. Explain how an orignal ghto is going to fall victim to these bs laws if it complies with adrs .

We all know that dangerous drivers are the problem, yet there is a reality that we have idiots attracted to high powered vehicles, that's why it costs a fortune for under 25s to insure v8s and the like.

Easy, under these laws a police officer only has to SUSPECT based on their individual assessment a vehicle such as a GTHO is illegaly modified to be able to impound it & fine the owner, they don't have to actualy PROVE it. The owner has to prove that the vehicle does in fact comply, & if in fact is does, that would be of little comfort while watching the car being taken to the impound yard & having to go through the whole court system to get the vehicle back.

#65 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Easy, under these laws a police officer only has to SUSPECT based on their individual assessment a vehicle such as a GTHO is illegaly modified to be able to impound it & fine the owner, they don't have to actualy PROVE it. The owner has to prove that the vehicle does in fact comply, & if in fact is does, that would be of little comfort while watching the car being taken to the impound yard & having to go through the whole court system to get the vehicle back.

This is partly correct, an officer of the law performs his duty as "instructed" for want of a better word, for example, If a car were to be impounded, he must seek approval from his commanding officer who has to make judgement as to if it fits the bill but more to your point, where does that leave your car while you contest it in court, if it were a person you would be released after being charged or remanded till a hearing the next day, it may take weeks till you get into court about your car...

#66 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

How's that again? Rudeness/ bullyboy

Bit off topic, and not ment as a personal attack, but myself, and im sure a lot of other forum members, take your grammatically perfect statements as rather rude, arrogant and "ooohhh look at me i finished uni and im such a genius"

Hence you tend to get snappy replys, frequently.

Whether you do this on purpose, or its just the way you actually talk due to your occupation/upbringing/etc, is irrelevant.

People from my kind of back ground tend to get there backs up a bit when confronted with such an attitude.

After all this is a Torana forum, theres a high chance about 90% of the forum members are blue collar and use the word F UCK atleast 10 times a sentence in there general conversations, if you dislike the kind of reply's you get perhaps you should look at what your typing.

Cheers.

#67 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I've had to collect my car from a Police impound yard before, not because i was caught breaking any laws in it but because it was stolen & recovered. It was placed in an open yard seperated from a main road by nothing more than a cyclone fence, so by the time i got through the red tape involved in retrieving my car, the wheels & plenty more parts that were on the vehicle when it first landed in the yard went missing. Now imagine this happening to your car knowing the only reason it was in the impound lot was because an overzealous police officer decided to take out his frustrations with the world on you.

#68 _Shanes77LxHatch_

_Shanes77LxHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

looks like no more track days, drags or rallys in QLD then?

#69 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

In SA they just slap a defect on ya car, hooning or not. The fact the car has been inspected and passed in the recent past does not matter to them, If the officer or inspector (yes they don't even have to be police anymore) thinks your car is defectable, bang there ya go!!! that will be $$$ for another inspection and they can now fine you for driving a defectable car.
God help you if they think you put your foot on the load pedal more than you should have.

#70 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

looks like no more track days, drags or rallys in QLD then?

And no more racing through shopping centre car parks either.

Just gotta love the hypocrisy.
Witnessed a police sting at the local shops this arvo catching people speeding in the carpark (5kph zone I'm told).
Picture this: Cops sitting in their police car on the street near the second driveway to the carpark. Young female in a small red hatchback comes in the main driveway and accelerates to probably 25 kph, brakes and pulls into a parking space. Suddenly the cop car comes flying in from the second driveway, easily going faster than the girl in the red car, they pull up, blocking the carpark thoroughfare, jump out and race over to her car to nab her.

By the time I came out of the shop a second police car had arrived (back up maybe??? she must be so dangerous) and the four cops are standing at the front of the first police car, having a laugh and writing up her ticket.

Now I don't condone speeding in carparks, too many pedestrians, shopping trolleys, young kids and mums with prams etc etc but what those cops did was bloody ridiculous and just as dangerous and to my mind is hooning in the name of law enforcement. I was lucky that I didn't step out from behind my vehicle just as they shot past me or I could have ended up spread across their bonnet. Bloody cars these days are too quiet, if they had a slightly noisier exhaust at least you'd hear them coming.

#71 _Shanes77LxHatch_

_Shanes77LxHatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

^ a guy from work saw about a month before the new highway patrols were set to release;

One came flying up behind him whilst he was stopped at a red light and brake heavily behind and then put it's lights on (my mate thinking he was getting pulled over) and then gunned it and turned left and proceeded up a hill at excessive speed overtaking cars on the wrong side of the double white lines going around a slight bend and then around 30 seconds later comes calmy back down with no lights on...

My mate thinks he was showing the bloke in the passenger seat how well they perform. But of course for all i know it could've beena serious matter but surely driving like a 'hoon' and planting it from the lights and crossing double white lines on a somewhat blind bend wasn't necessary..

#72 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

^ haha should have taken his number plate and rang it into the hoon hotline.

#73 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

^ haha should have taken his number plate and rang it into the hoon hotline.

they are governed by rules and regs.ruts could confirm or deny but...

#74 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

They are not above the law, AFIK every fine/complaint etc a officer receives is followed up and investigated to see if they were acting "in the line of duty".

#75 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

and afik every time they flick "the lights" the video starts recording....or is that just in seppo land?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users